Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway listed among the top five cities in the world to visit this year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's nice that town is appreciated, and it's not the first time we have been nominated.

In 2007, Galway was named as one of the eight "sexiest cities" in the world.
    A 2008 poll ranked Galway as the 42nd best tourist destination in the world, or 14th in Europe and 2nd in Ireland (behind Dingle). It was ranked ahead of all European capitals except Edinburgh, and many traditional tourist destinations (such as Venice).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I wonder if we get many non-Irish visitors from NZ. I've a feeling they might be far and few between, even if we come highly recommended.
    Good to see none the less though. We are "cute", bless. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I've since moved from Galway and miss it so much. I think it's the proximity to the sea, the city is small, there aren't glaringly obvious danger zones (bar Supermacs after 10pm).
    It's friendly, but rather cool. The traffic can be a nightmare and the mist can be never-ending - (good for the complexion!)

To all ye lucky sods in Galway - enjoy it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Some off-topic posts removed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder if we get many non-Irish visitors from NZ. I've a feeling they might be far and few between, even if we come highly recommended.
    Good to see none the less though. We are "cute", bless. :)

Relative to the size of the population, kiwis travel a lot. So yes we do, and some stick aroud for a while.

But travel advice fom Granny Herald probably won't have much effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Relative to the size of the population, kiwis travel a lot. So yes we do, and some stick aroud for a while.

But travel advice fom Granny Herald probably won't have much effect.

You'd be amazed who reads what where and listens to it. I was.
    Rick Steves is a god to many, and provides business beyond belief globally. I find a lot of his stuff very bland and meh, but I'd be shot by mates for saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

It was only when I left Galway for about 10 years that I realised how class a 'city' it is. I was so glad to get the opportunity to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Well, I'm a "Dub" living equally distributed between "the Whest" of Ireland and Western USA (Iowa, on the prairie........corn on one side, soy-bean on the other as far as the eye can see for thousands of miles). Over the years I have recommended many American friends and neighbours to visit/stay in Galway, a city I have a lot of time for. Galway benefits from its compactness, wealth of history, interesting architecture, the river, coastal location, modern amenity, cosmopolitan 'buzz'. To Ozzies, Kiwi's or Americans, the 2-hour drive to Limerick is child's-play. From my US home to the nearest domestic airport is 80 miles; the nearest international airport (Chicago) 380 miles (so going to the airport to pick someone up is a round-trip of 760 miles in one day) compared to which a 'round-trip' from Galway to Limerick of a couple of hours. It's all a matter of scale.

Advertisement