Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child won't eat anything in crèche

Options
  • 23-01-2014 4:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

After 6 calm months the last month with our 25 month old has gone haywire.

We moved him from his child minder in December as we felt he was not being adequately minded (minder frequently left teen daughter minding him and other kids) plus she had never done any development work with him at all. I believe the tv was his babysitter for most of the time he was there. I'm off work and started him in a good local crèche a few morning per week in the run up to Xmas.

Our child has had problems with lactose intolerance and reflux and had been in and out of hospital for failure to thrive and as such was on a strict diet and feeding schedule. Since he left the child minders his sleeping and diet have gone to pot. Under the guidance if a dietician we are trying to get him off nutramigen and on to normal milk. I should also mention he had grommets put in last week so there has been a lot of upheaval for him.

We are reducing the amount if nutramigen he has to encourage interest in normal foods but since he started staying in the crèche til 2 (last Wednesday) he won't eat anything there including the snacks I pack for him.

I don't know how to handle this as the thought of him not eating are upsetting yet I don't want to feed him when he gets home from the crèche or he will never eat there.

Have received so much excellent advice and support here in the last few week I'm looking for more help and guidance from all you good people. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

He's had a lot of ups and downs the poor lad.

I don't worry too much if my child doesn't eat. I don't offer alternatives or give what I know she'll eat over and over. Once she tastes everything I don't monitor intake. She has days where she's looking for food and days where I don't know how she keeps going because she's eaten so little. You've got the added issue of food intolerances though. I never used it myself but I know others have found this book very helpful: http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Child-Wont-Eat-mealtimes/dp/1780660057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390492440&sr=8-1&keywords=my+child+won%27t+eat
    Might be worth a look?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I should have mentioned that he is hungry and keeps dragging me out to get him food but he wants stuff like potato bread, fish fingers etc which used to be only a tea time last resort. Now he doesn't want the good stuff at all.

I do think his lactose intolerance is over as he can take baked milk so it's just a case of introducing fresh milk gradually. He is also finished his reflux medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It could just be the start of the control thing that all 2 year olds do.... refusing to do perfectly normal things, like putting on clothes, or eating. Just trying to get control over their own lives.

I'm in the same school of thought as lazygal above, eat or don't what what's on offer... no last resorts, no airplanes, no bartering etc. Worked out ok so far for us. She goes through little phases of being on and off stuff, but for the main part eats everything put in front of her now, if she's hungry. Doesn't eat if she's not hungry, which is fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Are you guys saying if LO doesn't eat what's out in front of him/her don't offer an alternative? I'm just wondering coz I don't want my fella to get into bad habits and choosing what he eats etc... He's only young yet but it's always good to get advice from those more experienced.

He's not eating all his cereal te past week so I've been giving him half a slice I toast aswell (he loves toast). But I he doesn't eat his dinner I won't give him an alternative. Is this what you mean?

He's got a chest infection at the moment tho so prob why he's being a little bit more picky atm.

Sorry to hog your thread caramay

Yes, that's what we do normally. I'll let you know if it works for Child 2! Might just be a fluke.

One meal for all, Like it or lump it is the general ethos. Except breakfast I guess. Loads of choice there. I put out porridge, meat, cheese, fish, toast, fruit... And she can take what she likes. Usually porridge, toast and fruit on weekdays.

She helps us cook too. Stirs things from her little step by the hob. Gets me the veg and anything from cupboards/drawers. Puts pasta/rice/spuds into the pot. Kneads bread when we make it. Great at peeling garlic with her tiny fingers! It's much slower going than doing it myself, but it's part of our routine now.

There is a slightly over-the-top article below, but it's a bit of what we do. We don't talk about the food much, just the day, news, normal chatting.

She is a good eater at the moment. Meat, fish, curries, lentils, olives, sushi, veg... Everything we eat really. Went through a phase of only eating white food, not eating any meat, only eating meat, etc... but we ignored them all without comment and they passed within a week or two.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/dec/10/child-fussy-eater-what-not-to-say-dinner-table

• Advertisement

Thanks pwurple. Last few days he's just completely gone off his cereal altogether. He normally would only eat the aptimal and milupa cereals or porridge for breakfast but now he's pushing them away. So I've tried cornflakes, weetabix... He wont take any of it! But then he takes the toast. I don't really want to be giving him toast everyday.

Was just thinking there, I've just started him on cows milk. Does anyone think this could be why he's no taking his breakfast? More filling so maybe he's just not hungry? He takes a 200ml bottle in the morning... Maybe I shouldn't give him as much?? O I dunno....

Ps. Pwurple you do sooooo much with your girl! Super mom! Lol

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Ps. Pwurple you do sooooo much with your girl! Super mom! Lol

Jeez not at all! Sure with the amount I work, we have to jam it all in there for the short couple of hours we are both awake at the same time (i do some nights too)... She just gets dragged along with whatever we are doing. My mum gives out to me something rotten that I have her growing up way too fast by doing cooking and dishwasher loading with her instead of playing with dolls. Something has to give. Having her play with her toys on her own while I make dinner on my own was just another hour I don't spend with her. I'm sure plenty of people see it as child labour, or me depriving her of something. Can't win being a mam you know.

Lol. What you're doing sounds great. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same. Will be cool when they get interested in cooking etc...

Advertisement