Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING...smoke detectors sensitive to vaping...

Options
  • 23-01-2014 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

I just set of the fire detection system at work while stealth vaping in my office...whoops :(:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Your bog standard house alarm wont be as sensitive as that. The high tech ones with particle detecting lasers can and will go off.

Just be careful and dont blow towards them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Note to self...must purchase shower cap to place over detector when vaping :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Oooh, this could give the anti-vape brigade more excuses to compare vaping directly to smoking!

Let's be honest, they're desperate and would use anything! so ... shhhhhhhh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

The high tech ones with particle detecting lasers can and will go off.

Dust even set those things off :p
    I done it a few times myself with dust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Dust even set those things off :p
    I done it a few times myself with dust
    Dust is the excuse I used ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I've tested vapour on both the Ionization and the Photoelectric smoke detector types I own here at home. Both of them operate in very similar ways the ionic type uses a beam of faint radiation, the photo type usings a beam of light. Both sense when particles get in between the beam. Both of the smoke alarms went off when I tested them extremely easily when blowing vapour right into them. So basically no smoke alarm is immune to vapour. If you boiled a kettle right under a smoke alarm it would go off too I guess... anyone care to try it out for Science? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

StickyIcky wrote: »
    I've tested vapour on both the Ionization and the Photoelectric smoke detector types I own here at home. Both of them operate in very similar ways the ionic type uses a beam of faint radiation, the photo type usings a beam of light. Both sense when particles get in between the beam. Both of the smoke alarms went off when I tested them extremely easily when blowing vapour right into them. So basically no smoke alarm is immune to vapour. If you boiled a kettle right under a smoke alarm it would go off too I guess... anyone care to try it out for Science? :)

I have smoke detector just outside shower room. It goes off if shower is creating a lot of steam and door open. So wouldn't be surprised a kettle dirrectly below a smoke detector would set one off

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taz96

I vape in the office all day..maybe i@ve just been lucky but not set alarm off...yet. Small space and can't tell you what type though.

Advertisement