Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with cats

• 23-01-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

May be moving in the coming months, if so we'l have 1 if not 2 cats with us. How difficult is it to find a place that'l take cats? Looking on daft.ie when you click the pets allowed option it severely narrows down options :( I'm hoping landlords who haven't this option ticked would be open to allowing cats if say a pet damage deposit was paid.

A friend advised me to just say nothing about the cats but I'd rather be honest and up front. It'l probably be galway I'd be looking to move to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Go see any place you like and mention to them then that you have cats. Offering a pet deposit and, if possible, a reference from where you're renting now saying that your cats haven't caused any damage would probably help. A friend of mine did that when she was looking for a place with her dog and got a great house that was originally listed as 'no pets'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

It's tough, I know. I'm wondering how I'll ever find a place that accepts dogs... but luckily I'm not in a position where I'm looking to move just yet.

From what I have heard is it doesn't necessarily mean that the landlord won't accept pets (even if that didn't come up in the advert) - I've heard a couple of people having success stories by simply finding a place they like the look of, see the accommodation and when that is all said and done, then bring up the fact you have a cat to the landlord, face-to-face.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Whatever you do, don't just hide the fact you have a cat from the landlord. You could find yourself in breach of your lease and then out on your arse sans deposit. Also, some apartment blocks specifically have a no pet policy, so it may actually be out of the landlord's control. So while the landlord themself may not have a problem you might find yourself in trouble with the management if someone reports you.

So even if the landlord allows pets I would also try and find out if the building/management itself has any issues. The owner should have a copy of the ground lease outlining any restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

When my brother and his girlfriend were looking for apartments in Dublin they sent me a link so try and temp me to move up. Very low rent, cats allowed but there was one condition. They were a cattery and whoever rented would have to help out there! I was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry tempted but would have nothing to do in Dublin :P Maybe you could be lucky and find somewhere like that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I'm in the same boat. I was very lucky to get the place I'm in now but we have to move in two months as they're selling the place. Absolutely dreading it. It's very hard to find a place when you have two cats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I have rented with a cat for 6 years! Its been tough, but I would say that your best bet is to meet with letting agent or landlord, view the place and mention the pets.
    I've been told in the past that I would still have to sign a lease that said no pets so that if they (cat and a dog at one point) done any damage,the landlord could evict me. The cat has been easier to rent with than the dog, that's for sure.

As far as I know, technically, they can't legally withhold your deposit for having a pet when they lease says no pets. (holding of deposit is for any financial loss incurred). But really its not worth it, worrying about inspections, or do the neighbours know the landlord, will they tell them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

When my brother and his girlfriend were looking for apartments in Dublin they sent me a link so try and temp me to move up. Very low rent, cats allowed but there was one condition. They were a cattery and whoever rented would have to help out there! I was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry tempted but would have nothing to do in Dublin :P Maybe you could be lucky and find somewhere like that!!

Maybe I'l find a house in the middle of a zoo :P

Thanks for the advice everyone, nothings for certain yet so I might be staying put. I'm looking for work down there at the moment so hopefully if I get something we'l be moving. I'm thinking it'l be quite hard to find a nice house/apartment both in the price range and allowing cats but I'l not stress out too much yet until I know for certain. The cats will have somewhere safe to go anyways regardless it's just it'd be much easier on everyone to have them with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

When I was moving into my place in Leixlip nearly 3 years ago, I new 100% I was getting a dog, so I would not move into a place which did not let pets.

Since you have the cats already, it will be slightly easier for you.

I made a mistake in that, when I called up and asked about the house and for a viewing, I would also ask if they allowed pets, 99% of the time they would say no, end of story.

However, as another poster has said, mention the pets when you are about to put down the deposit, the dollarsign eyes will usually win.

Advertisement