Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driver punches cyclist ( London)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Good to see all of the other cyclists stepping in to help. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Link to actual video?
    Im lazy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

That cyclist with the hat made it his mission to follow the car at speed to confront the driver, so basically the cyclist was asking for it. Like is said, if you look for trouble, you will find trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

yea, he was asking for it, he confronted the driver at the first lights and then tried to catch him, when he did he abused him and the driver called his bluff and smacked him, then the cyclist got out of there coz he was chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Even as a cyclist the guy was being a tool. If you initial the confrontation you need to accept whatever happens. Shouting in through the window at a driver is just stupid imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The driver was a tool as well, he shouldn't have moved into the cycling lane in front while the lights were still red.

So there are two tools here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

zenno wrote: »
    That cyclist with the hat made it his mission to follow the car at speed to confront the driver, so basically the cyclist was asking for it. Like is said, if you look for trouble, you will find trouble.

I'm personally ambivalent - If I shouted at someone and got thumped I'd feel like I'd got myself into it and wouldn't be whinging. It could also be argued that the motorist looked for trouble by breaking the law several times over before committing assault - and that is how the Police are viewing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Typical Audi driver..... White car too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Audi driver. Enough said (sold mine for just this reason) (and the cost of tyres, insurance, tax...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It wasn't the driver it was the passenger. The cyclist was in the wrong. Yes it's a bike area, but right before the light was due to turn green the bike filters to the front, past all the other lined up cyclists, straight in front of the car in it's path. The car repositions so it can drive off when the lights go green, and the cyclist loses it thinking he's entitled to be on the road more than the car driver. And then there's the bloody chase, with the clear intention of confronting the driver, he stops, and shouts expletives into the car in an aggressive manner, then gets a smack from the passenger of the audi, and cycles away with his tail between his legs. It's ridiculous that the side of the cyclist is taken by anyone, he was clearly looking for confrontation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

That "driver" gets back into the car via the rear door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sweet left hook no more than the idiot deserved.
    The other cyclists didn't back him up as I'd say they knew he was a troublemaking eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ashleey wrote: »
    Audi driver. Enough said (sold mine for just this reason) (and the cost of tyres, insurance, tax...)

Cause you were punching cyclists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

They were shoaling. The driver was trying to get around him while he had a chance.

It looked like the cyclist hit the car door or window. Thats a bad idea in any case, never mind if a driver is already irritated.

If you can't approach some politely to tell them they had done something wrong, don't bother at all. Looks like the cyclist was in the wrong by first shoaling, then abusing the driver for being annoyed at the fact the cyclist was in the wrong to begin with.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

jca wrote: »
    Typical Audi driver..... White car too...
    ashleey wrote: »
    I'm a driver, and I drive an Audi - despite apparent suggestions to the contrary, I don't think either fact is relevant to this thread

I realise Friday is just around the corner, but do we really need to create another driver vs cyclist thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Zyzz wrote: »
    Good to see all of the other cyclists stepping in to help. :rolleyes:

Why would they, I certainly wouldn't involve myself in that incident. Just because they're all on bikes doesn't make them obliged to also act like idiots on the road because another cyclist does. Its not us against them!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A story of two angry people who both want to be in front.

Beasty wrote: »
    ...I realise Friday is just around the corner, but do we really need to create another driver vs cyclist thread?

don't need it any day tbh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Good enough for him.

If a cyclist touched my Audi (not white) i'd give him a dig too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm a driver, and I drive an Audi - despite apparent suggestions to the contrary, I don't think either fact is relevant to this thread

I realise Friday is just around the corner, but do we really need to create another driver vs cyclist thread?

If it breaks the rules - close it mod. If it doesn't and you've nothing usefulto add - why bother?

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Good enough for him.

Don't pander to stereotypes what ever you do....

article-2151572-13591E4A000005DC-106_634x752.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

beauf wrote: »
    Don't pander to stereotypes what ever you do....

article-2151572-13591E4A000005DC-106_634x752.jpg

She could shout at me anytime! :)

Of course the real issue is they aren't wearing hi vis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Slattsy wrote: »
    Good enough for him.

Bit of a Sunday World buzz in here. I'm off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

It wasn't the driver it was the passenger. The cyclist was in the wrong. Yes it's a bike area, but right before the light was due to turn green the bike filters to the front, past all the other lined up cyclists, straight in front of the car in it's path. The car repositions so it can drive off when the lights go green, and the cyclist loses it thinking he's entitled to be on the road more than the car driver. And then there's the bloody chase, with the clear intention of confronting the driver, he stops, and shouts expletives into the car in an aggressive manner, then gets a smack from the passenger of the audi, and cycles away with his tail between his legs. It's ridiculous that the side of the cyclist is taken by anyone, he was clearly looking for confrontation.
    ror_74 wrote: »
    They were shoaling. The driver was trying to get around him while he had a chance.

It looked like the cyclist hit the car door or window. Thats a bad idea in any case, never mind if a driver is already irritated.

If you can't approach some politely to tell them they had done something wrong, don't bother at all. Looks like the cyclist was in the wrong by first shoaling, then abusing the driver for being annoyed at the fact the cyclist was in the wrong to begin with.

I agree that the cyclist was overly aggressive, but there's a difference between verbal abuse and physical abuse. The latter is against the law and prosecutable. The point that frozenfrozen and ror_74 seem to miss is that the staging area where ror_74 identified cyclists as shoaling is there for cyclists to gather. In Ireland, the rule of the road is that drivers allow cyclists in this area to get under way safely before moving forward themselves. Those cyclists were not blocking traffic, they are doing what they are supposed to do: stage and go. The traffic behind is supposed to wait until they are well under way and out of danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

So proud to be a human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The car was so much faster than the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As a cyclist and a motorist, well ... neither of those represent me.

That video is what happens when ar5eholes collide.

Cyclist was '' omg you entered my box how dare you :eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm so mad , I'm gonna chase you and teach you a lesson''

• Advertisement

Not fast enough.....couldn't escape an irate cyclist.

Until the first red light, then the second....

But yeah I don't see the point of going in front of car. Let them go ahead and out of you way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Cyclist got what he deserved.

Idiot.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Not fast enough.....couldn't escape an irate cyclist.

0.39 onwards needs some epic chase music...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Cause you were punching cyclists?

I knew someone would say that right after I pressed 'submit'! (And, no I wasn't!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This should be interesting so, RTE 1 on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    This should be interesting so, RTE 1 on Sunday

I left this elsewhere earlier in the week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/r4choice

Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

I wonder if it was a woman driving the car?
    Might explain the reaction from the male passenger.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

The Smiths' "I Started Something I couldn't Finish" comes to mind. . . . Actually a quick google of the lyrics and it's kind of loosely more apt than I'd expected.

The lanes were silent
    There was nothing, no one, nothing around for miles
    I doused our friendly venture
    With a hard-faced
    Three-word gesture ["You f****** P***k"]

I started something
    I forced you to a zone
    And you were clearly
    Never meant to go [a couple of interpretations of this possible]
    Hair brushed and parted
    Typical me, typical me
    Typical me
    I started something
    ...And now I'm not too sure

I grabbed you by the guilded beams
    Uh, that's what tradition means
    And now eighteen months' hard labour
    Seems...fair enough . . . [Ah but will the shame-faced cyclist come forward.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

furiousox wrote: »
    I wonder if it was a woman driving the car?
    Might explain the reaction from the male passenger.

Nope- it was a fair haired man wearing a white/light coloured shirt and a grey jumper.

A white Audi? No wonder the cyclist was angry! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

There's no winners there really, is there?

If I had a go at every driver that encroached into the advance stopping zone, I'd never get home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

From a cyclist view the cyclist got what he was looking for. You dint really see it on vid but just as he gets to the car the second time you just barely catch a glimps of him banging the window aggressively so what did he expect .

Cyclist are worse than cars , from an honest cyclists point of view that I's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

italodisco wrote: »
    Cyclist are worse than cars
    You put forward a compelling case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

from an honest cyclists point of view that I's.

You want my view as a fellow honest cyclist? there are ar$eholes in all modes of transport. If you look for trouble, you'll get it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lawr wrote: »
    I agree that the cyclist was overly aggressive, but there's a difference between verbal abuse and physical abuse. The latter is against the law and prosecutable.
    So is the former, they are both forms of assault, just one is easier to prosecute than the other but they are both assault and both illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

beauf wrote: »
    But yeah I don't see the point of going in front of car. Let them go ahead and out of you way.

What's the point of any advanced stop box then? It's a defined space for cyclists to assemble while waiting for a light change, instead of sitting in car drivers' blind spots, or on the inside of buses and HGVs. Moving into an ASB ahead of a car makes you more visible to drivers behind, who are then more aware of your presence, and can alter their driving behaviour to compensate.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    You want my view as a fellow honest cyclist? there are ar$eholes in all modes of transport. If you look for trouble, you'll get it.

Very true , I just don't like the way fellow cyclists really go out of their way for trouble .

I've seen it many times , they see a car pulling out in front of them with a good bit of warning but continue full speed ahead, jam on breaks and read the riot act to driver.... These efffers make us regular cyclists look like idiots .

The art of it is to keep a cool head. Someone driving into a cycle lane at lights isn't a major end of days problem .... Asshole yes sure but not worth getting aggro over .

It's bad enough that drivers have meltdowns over little things , one point of cycling is to avoid all that nonsense !

In fairness though I think the cyclist, being the big man he thought he was , should of at least thrown a punnch Back ....just to keep nature in balance lol

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

I've seen it many times , they see a car pulling out in front of them with a good bit of warning but continue full speed ahead, jam on breaks and read the riot act to driver.... These efffers make us regular cyclists look like idiots .

The art of it is to keep a cool head. Someone driving into a cycle lane at lights isn't a major end of days problem .... Asshole yes sure but not worth getting aggro over .

Fair point - but there's a fine line between being inconvenienced and having your life threatened, regardless of what mode of transport you use.

Take the driver who pulled out in front of me on South Richmond Rd before Christmas, without looking - I had to slam on the breaks in that occasion, otherwise I was straight into her drivers door, or over the bonnet....

Or the transit driver yesterday morning who, although ~10 cars (stopped at lights)/~50 meters from a junction along the Grand Canal, still had to pull into the cycle lane for an upcoming left turn, forcing me onto the pavement.

Not blindly defending cyclists here... it's a two-way street so-to-speak, if everyone played by the rules and had respect for each other, we'd all get along just fine!

Indeed, I drove in today and at two separate intersections I got a green light , proceeded to drive through only to be side cut by cars coming through the intersection from the red light side 5 seconds after it turned red for them..... Yes I felt the rage , it was strong, real strong .... Wonder how the cyclist beside me felt lol he got some fright.
    Junction of ncr and summerhill (sunset house ), notorious for it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement