Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would thick walls weaken window sensors on wireless HKC system?

Options
  • 23-01-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭

Had an installer out today and 2 wireless window sensors are not being picked up. But the door only feet from each sensor is. A possible explanation i heard was the walls. It's an old house and they are solid concrete. Could they be playing a part? Another unit and sensors were tired so they're not faulty. Just exploring ideas myself before the wired option is used. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi I have a bungalow in the west and have same problem, spent tons on a great system put all in and only 4 windows out of 12 were picked up.

The walls are extremely thick and the sensors are useless.

You can buy plug in boosters that are compatible with your system

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes a wireless extender would be one option.
    Is the panel in a central location in the house & away from any metal cabinets and the fuse board?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

KoolKid wrote: »
    Yes a wireless extender would be one option.
    Is the panel in a central location in the house & away from any metal cabinets and the fuse board?

Yes it would be quite central. The window sensors at the back and motion detectors work. Just the ones at the front don't. Not near fuse board or metal cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

HKC have a wireless booster available, I had to install one recently when a door and keypad were found out of range of the panel. The unit just required a 12 volt supply which to us on that particular installation was not an issue.

Worked out perfectly in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

most panels and all HKC wireless can give you the signal strength of each sensor as a rule the higher the Db level it will not work so any reading up near 90db is bad bad news but if you rotate the sensors or turn them upside down and keep them to the middle of the window frame as apposed to tight into the wall can make a huge difference but its always down to bad panel location

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

a jammer will make your alarm useless

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

a jammer will make your alarm useless
    :confused:
    I'm not sure what you are claiming there..But to clarify GSM monitoring can be jammed , but a wireless alarm can not .If a jammer is used on an alarm this will block an GSM signals sent from a dialler, but the alarm itself will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

Another Expert !!

stuartkee wrote: »
    Another Expert !!

Yeah. The quiet silent type. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Actually the wireless sensors can be jammed but the panel is designed to detect this jam . The external RF bell even has radio freq jam detection. A GSM jammer will not work on the sensors.

Op have you any phone masts close by? Or any 4G enabled devices ?
    Make sure you don't have any hkc rf devices to close to the panel .

• Advertisement
Advertisement