Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stabiliser cattle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Looking to calf the heifers at 24 months (next summer) so look to run a bull with them in September/October

Any chance yed give a Saler a go? We bought a bull this year part time farming too. Auld lad was thinking of an Aubrac even though we had Salers from AI the last few years which he was praising to the last so i said to him why didnt ye use an Aubrac straw tje last few years? Went and viewed a Saler bull that evening and bought him in the end.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I've a selection of purchased yearlings. Aubrac are the quietest and Saler the giddiest, if temperment is an issue. No Satabiliser, but would like to buy a few later in the year.

Any chance yed give a Saler a go? We bought a bull this year part time farming too. Auld lad was thinking of an Aubrac even though we had Salers from AI the last few years which he was praising to the last so i said to him why didnt ye use an Aubrac straw tje last few years? Went and viewed a Saler bull that evening and bought him in the end.
    I considered them alright but from research the big push on them is as a good source of replacements (good maternal and wide pelvis). Don't know how easily finished they are etc?

Was considering a red angus or stabiliser. The leachman guy does red angus as well. Red deep canyon (bova ai) is a red angus son of a leachman bull.

Would rather buy a bull than ai though as I think ai might be hassle.

Cattlepen wrote: »
    I’ve had four different stabiliser bulls. 2 came out of the north and the 2 of them grew terribly bad feet. I think they are breeding their own version of unregistered stabilisers. Plenty of sales talk of performance figures etc but the 2 ended up being factoried. One was registered out of Britain. An ok bull but only equivalent to a medium to good quality Angus.
    IMO the stabiliser inventor has been very good at marketing, almost cult like among the people that get into them.
    Angus =bonus
    Stabiliser=no bonus
    Go Angus
    The stabiliser breed have there own star system in the UK, the stars are 30% accurate for young bulls. They have stars for finishing and weaning weights.

The whole thing sounds like a cult to me having looked in to it for a while.

Being told that stabilisers finish at 330 kg (bullocks) at 22 months.

Id say the same fellow would tell me that the bull could twirl a cane and tap dance to get the sale over the line.

With all this in mind I am leaning towards angus purely for the easy finishing and bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

The stabiliser breed have there own star system in the UK, the stars are 30% accurate for young bulls. They have stars for finishing and weaning weights.

The whole thing sounds like a cult to me having looked in to it for a while.

Being told that stabilisers finish at 330 kg (bullocks) at 22 months.

Id say the same fellow would tell me that the bull could twirl a cane and tap dance to get the sale over the line.

With all this in mind I am leaning towards angus purely for the easy finishing and bonus.

Thank you for replying. That’s the way I would see it too. There is another vet up the north with what I would class as the best suckler herd I have ever seen. His cows are all genuine British friesian angus x bred back to a good beef Angus bull. Simple, no BS, do a good job. Bull calf on point of weaning as big as the cows with no meal supplementation. It just worked
    Stabilisers are exactly as you described, CULTISH !!!
    It reminds me of the fairytale of the emperor’s new clothes , only a FOOL can’t see it’s the best thing ever

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Thank you for replying. That’s the way I would see it too. There is another vet up the north with what I would class as the best suckler herd I have ever seen. His cows are all genuine British friesian angus x bred back to a good beef Angus bull. Simple, no BS, do a good job. Bull calf on point of weaning as big as the cows with no meal supplementation. It just worked
    Stabilisers are exactly as you described, CULTISH !!!
    It reminds me of the fairytale of the emperor’s new clothes , only a FOOL can’t see it’s the best thing ever
    This is it, if they were that good the genie would have been out of the bottle years ago, the stabiliser goes back to the 70s.

It started out nearly all of the cattle will grade as U's then the reality came out and the majority will be R's.

On the ICBF site you can't get terminal breakdown on stabiliser bulls. Thats the king of red flags.

There are so many "operators" selling bulls. They are like car sales men on speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ranch Farm

In your post you mentioned people selling stabiliser bulls as drug taking car salesmen.I do sell stabiliser bulls ,i don't sell cars and i only take drugs when prescribed by my doctor.
    I am new on this boards .ie and not sure how it works.I appreciate another mans opinion on different types and breed of cattle but i do not like been branded as something I'm not.
    Stabiliser cattle are here to stay and can contribute to the suckler industry ,along side other breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ranch Farm wrote: »
    In your post you mentioned people selling stabiliser bulls as drug taking car salesmen.I do sell stabiliser bulls ,i don't sell cars and i only take drugs when prescribed by my doctor.
    I am new on this boards .ie and not sure how it works.I appreciate another mans opinion on different types and breed of cattle but i do not like been branded as something I'm not.
    Stabiliser cattle are here to stay and can contribute to the suckler industry ,along side other breeds.

You’ve represented yourself well here in a calm and measured way. I don’t think the post was meant to offend anyone - a bit like calling dealers gangsters without knowing you’re talking to a dealer - not meant to be taken literally but you’re right no one should be feeling insulted here we’re all just sharing information and having a bit of craic.

I’d like to hear a bit more about your operation if you don’t mind. Where are you based and what led you into that breed?

I appreciate your respond to my post.I am one of the above mentioned Multipliers from Tipperary.I have been involved with the Stabiliser Cattle Company as a Multiplier for the last 8 years.
    They are a very professional company to be involved with .They are not a society or even a Cult.
    I was approached by ABP to have a look at some cattle up north which might suit my operation.Having visited Billy O Kanes farm i said to myself if they are no better or worse than what i have at least they are quiet .
    Eight years on my trip up north was a good day out .
    Since then we have moved on all our original cow and replaced them with Stabilisers.As a four way cross breed ,you may not believe ,but its the first time we have a uniformed type of animal on our farm.
    They are a purpose bred beef cow and shouldn't be compared to terminal breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭older by the day

More luck to you and your cattle. But what I want to know is there money to be made. What would you expect when crossed with the modern Holstein fresian. Or is it for suckling crossing. How come the breeding bulls are so expensive. What are the purebred finishing like. Show us the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Great to get some input from a multiplier. Do you use embryos in your system?
    Do multipliers get preference on bull sales or can anyone walk in a buy one of the top bulls? When would you need to looking to get a good young bull?

People will always have their preferences, but a good animal is a good animal regardless of the breed.
    Part of it might be down to the bulls not appearing as muscular/lean as some other breeds. I remember reading an interview with Billy and he said they were a bank mangers breed, not a show breed.

The stabiliser cow was bred through selection within 4 breeds to produce a beef cow fit for purpose .Crossing them with holstein cows works quite well ,short gestation like AA .
    If producing beef from holstein cows is profitable i don't know as i have no experience with them.
    The only figures i have on stabiliser cross holstein heifers killed at 21mts is from one of my bull customers.I will get the weights and grades for you .He was happy with how they killed.

I have not gone down the Embyro rout as it can get quiet expensive . I will just buy a bull on his figures and what i like .
    Stabiliser cattle are now genotyped like we do here which is good.Multipliers do have a better choice of bulls but saying that anybody can buy one of the top bulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Robin Talbot had a thing up on twitter lately about the first of the bulls he killed.
    Think he's delighted with them.

Is there a move towards terminal - I see that they are that doing feed efficiency trails with young bulls brought in from Crugeran?
    Personally, I like the way they are going about their business - measuring and data based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 alixboyd

I've used stabiliser semen for years on Limx cows, very easy to keep on minimal input, extremely quiet and easy to handle. I wouldn't change

Which bulls are you using?
    How do you sell your bull calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

alixboyd wrote: »
    I've used stabiliser semen for years on Limx cows, very easy to keep on minimal input, extremely quiet, and easy to handle. I wouldn't change

===========================
    Would you mind pointing me where I can buy Stabiliser Straws?
    I have been looking for In Calf Heifers ( Stabilisrer ) maybe 3/4 would do, but no success so far ...........Again any ones help would be apprecited .. Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭tanko

Track9 wrote: »
    I have been looking for In Calf Heifers ( Stabilisrer ) maybe 3/4 would do, but no success so far ...........Again any ones help would be apprecited .. Thx

Eurogene Ai services have straws off two stabiliser bulls available on their website, they're black bulls. I don't know how much they cost.

Cogent in the UK have most of the bulls. They ship the staws over to Ireland, but you'd need to call well in advance to get your order when you want it.
    Edit: Last time I checked, it was £20per straw, with £50 carriage up to 15 straws, after which it was free carriage.
    https://stabiliser.co.uk/sales/semen/
    https://www.cogentuk.com/beef/signature-beef

I thought Eurogene was a partner with Cogent in this? Speak with them or the Stabiliser Co and they will help you out.

In regards to getting 3-4 in calf heifers, you can keep an eye on Done Deal - some of the multipliers advertise on there - contact them. If you want them sooner you can phone direct to https://stabiliser.co.uk/ and they will source you some - they can also tell you the prices.
    Are you looking pure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

They were for sale in Monaghan on one of the ad sites last week

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KelGavKerry

Hey all I know this thread is old but I am curious how people have gotten on with them in the mean time?
    From what I have seen they could make a good cow. Suckler/weaning farm here. Has anyone crossed them with Limo or Charolais. Thinking of buying a few to try out. First calving or two to an AI Stabiliser bull and them Limo or Charolais from there. For anyone who has crossed them what colour are the calves. Red Limos and golden Charolais?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Who2

I know a couple of lads with a few stabiliser cows and whil they don’t look like much they always rear a super calf

Most keep them on a stabiliser bull to get the full benefits of the breed.

However there are plenty too that cross them.

The below is exactly what you are talking about doing. Hopefully you can read it clearly. If no let me know and I'll try another way to load it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KelGavKerry

Thanks very much for this. This is exactly what I am thinking of doing. Getting the best of the stabiliser cow and still having the Charolais for the weanling sales. Id like to keep all stabiliser to get the full advantage of the breed but I am a bit concerned about the weanling sales. After 2-3 years of stabiliser weanling sales that might give me the confidence to go full stabiliser.
    Now to find some good quality in calf stabiliser heifers or young cows with calves at foot to start the herd.

Advertisement