Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On top of the bar...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Don't forgot this bad boy

http://www.cdiemu.org/

systemthemealltogetherc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I hope you've added lots of Spaghetti!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Man that is such a ripoff of the MD controller, its uncanny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

MrVestek wrote: »
    I had the same issue with my Saturn roms last night too. You need to open up the cue file in Notepad and change the name of the file in there too as it has a link to the .BIN file in there.

Your method works too. :-)
    You need to edit the Cue file and rename the Img file within it (or the other way round - edit the little one)

Yep done that too, & after doing it the bin still wouldn't load & for some reason the region of the game changed too (a different bios loaded up than the expected one). Easiest method was to amend the xml in my case :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Let us know how the HLSL stuff runs on the new card when you get it hooked up!

Let us know how the HLSL stuff runs on the new card when you get it hooked up!

What card was it out of curiosity?

MSI Radeon HD 5770 HAWK

Just thinking, I'd never told MyrddinNow that it's DVI, Displayport and HDMI out, hope that works OK with the screen, or that he has a DVI-VGA adapter! I think I have a spare if ya don't.

MSI Radeon HD 5770 HAWK

Just thinking, I'd never told MyrddinNow that it's DVI, Displayport and HDMI out, hope that works OK with the screen, or that he has a DVI-VGA adapter! I think I have a spare if ya don't.

I have a ton of them here in work if he needs any too.

MSI Radeon HD 5770 HAWK

Ah it's grand I'm using one of those currently, cheers though :) Will update when I get a new psu & plug the new card in

• Advertisement

Configuring the Sega CD stuff, is taking AGES (see what I did there). But I'm getting through it (renaming files & folders, converting to wav, making cue sheets etc).

I have to admit, testing all these systems out has been a ton of fun. With the scanline effects, it's more than good enough for me to actually consider packing some stuff away (there's an affect I didn't expect form building this!). I'm seriously considering packing away the Nes, Snes, Megadrive, Mega CD, 32X, Mastersystem, & some others. Space is a huge premium in the games room, & the advent of this bartop has given me a whole new angle.

I'd still collect games, but, I think, I might be tempted to join the dark side for some consoles...

Myrddin wrote: »
    Configuring the Sega CD stuff, is taking AGES (see what I did there). But I'm getting through it (renaming files & folders, converting to wav, making cue sheets etc).

I have to admit, testing all these systems out has been a ton of fun. With the scanline effects, it's more than good enough for me to actually consider packing some stuff away (there's an affect I didn't expect form building this!). I'm seriously considering packing away the Nes, Snes, Megadrive, Mega CD, 32X, Mastersystem, & some others. Space is a huge premium in the games room, & the advent of this bartop has given me a whole new angle.

I'd still collect games, but, I think, I might be tempted to join the dark side for some consoles...
    I hate to say I told you so again but...

...I told you so. :-P

I hate to say I told you so again but...

...I told you so. :-P

You could have warned me :p Though I should have known, it already happened me with my cabs, once i had a Mame cab it pushed me away from owning pcb's etc & I sold them off. Now its happening with consoles! :eek: Key difference here is nothing is being sold off, no no, I made that costly mistake many years ago & won't make it again...I'll continue to collect, because I really enjoy collecting.

It's not just emulators though, I'd have zero interest in playing an emulator on my normal pc...but something happens when you pack it all up in a fancy wooden box, give it some real controls, add in some scanlines...blast it. Bloody things should come with a warning :o

You could have warned me :p Though I should have known, it already happened me with my cabs, once i had a Mame cab it pushed me away from owning pcb's etc & I sold them off. Now its happening with consoles! :eek: Key difference here is nothing is being sold off, no no, I made that costly mistake many years ago & won't make it again...I'll continue to collect, because I really enjoy collecting.

It's not just emulators though, I'd have zero interest in playing an emulator on my normal pc...but something happens when you pack it all up in a fancy wooden box, give it some real controls, add in some scanlines...blast it. Bloody things should come with a warning :o

Pity the man that takes renaming an Entire Mega CD, Playstation One, Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast roms BY HAND!

I'd never sell my retro consoles but they are getting less play these days as I can just fire up the cab.

Besides it leaves the Mrs. to watch her visual diarrhea on the TV while I sit there playing Sonic The Hedgehog 2 for the fifty thousandth time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pity the man that takes renaming an Entire Mega CD, Playstation One, Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast roms BY HAND!

Good god man :eek: Nobody could deny it's a total labour of love...you couldn't pay me to set one of these up for someone :D
    o1s1n wrote: »
    What ya talkin' bout Willis?!

More or less made my mind up to mothball my Nes, Snes, Mastersystem, Megadrive, Mega CD, 32X, & PS1...possibly the 3DO & Jag too...& just use the bartop instead. I'll still collect, but not actively use those systems to game on. Strange I know (to pack them away but still buy for them), but I do enjoy having my collection all the same

• Advertisement

Good god man :eek: Nobody could deny it's a total labour of love...you couldn't pay me to set one of these up for someone :D

More or less made my mind up to mothball my Nes, Snes, Mastersystem, Megadrive, Mega CD, 32X, & PS1...possibly the 3DO & Jag too...& just use the bartop instead. I'll still collect, but not actively use those systems to game on. Strange I know (to pack them away but still buy for them), but I do enjoy having my collection all the same

Have the consoles as part of a display, most collectors seem to be doing that these days.

Plus when you think about it the less you use the original hardware the more you're preserving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Have the consoles as part of a display, most collectors seem to be doing that these days.

Plus when you think about it the less you use the original hardware the more you're preserving it.

Don't forget, electronics need to be powered up from time to time (use it or lose it :D)

Steve SI wrote: »
    Don't forget, electronics need to be powered up from time to time (use it or lose it :D)
    Oh? Colour me ignorant in this regard. Is there a particular reason for that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

down-with-this-sort-of-thing.jpg

Preserving it for what though?

Well space is at a premium in the room, so I could really do with packing stuff away that isn't being used.

Re the preservation thing, yeah electronics do require a power on every once in a while from what I've read, it helps things like caps etc. Ideally they'd be being packed away for reasons only of space, & with the intention that should I move to a bigger house at some stage, they'll be getting drafted straight back into action :)

• Advertisement

You should investigate getting one of those universal controller/usb adapters, least then you'll have the option of using the original controllers with the console emulators.

You should investigate getting one of those universal controller/usb adapters, least then you'll have the option of using the original controllers with the console emulators.

Definitely. Controller type is something that'd put me off the likes of N64/Dreamcast emulation. Any recommendations for one of them?

This one does <everything> to USB, these ones are more controller specific.

Source is available for both so you can build your own.

I'd gotten myself a Gamecube - USB adapter, but it doesn't seem to work properly at all. The buttons were picked up fine, but the analogue shoulder/trigger buttons didn't work at all, meaning a lot of the games were unplayable.

Master of the Universe

The bartop will be grand for arcade type games, but you'd still need to keep some of them around for RPGs and stuff. Can't really play Earthbound/Chrono Trigger on a cab! :eek:

At least keep the Snes and Megadrive out though, they're the main priority ;)
    Oh? Colour me ignorant in this regard. Is there a particular reason for that?

Electronic components like to be used. A lot of time people store things away for long periods, only to take them out and find they've died :(

Ordered a new PSU there & a couple of fans...hopefully have them by tomorrow

Look forward to seeing how your scanline/crt emulation works when you've got the card hooked up! We will need some nice juicy screenshots.

New PSU, & two large enough (and hopefully quiet enough) 120mm fans...one for intake & one for exhaust.

2r7rdqd.jpg

It's very hard to get pics of the scanlines, here's an attempt from the scanlines that the Nes emulator can generate. I only have them set at about 30%, & interpolation on makes it look better too.

2mrwb5z.jpg

v8kaqe.jpg

I won't get around to fitting the new psu until next week, so I'll try get pics of the proper crt emulation from HLSL once done.

Rather than buying that joypad to usb setup, which requires adapters for each different type of console pad...I'm just thinking now would I be better off buying usb clones of the pads I need? An N64, & PS1 are really all I can think of...the sticks/buttons work surprisingly well when playing the likes of Snes & MD etc

Rather than buying that joypad to usb setup, which requires adapters for each different type of console pad...I'm just thinking now would I be better off buying usb clones of the pads I need? An N64, & PS1 are really all I can think of...the sticks/buttons work surprisingly well when playing the likes of Snes & MD etc

Do you play much N64 or PS1? Considering you have a huge amount of games that will play fine with the current CP, not sure I'd spend money on something that might never be used. (If it was me I wouldn't bother with joypads at all, if the game can't be controlled with the CP, then the game shouldn't be in there in the first place.)

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do you play much N64 or PS1? Considering you have a huge amount of games that will play fine with the current CP, not sure I'd spend money on something that might never be used. (If it was me I wouldn't bother with joypads at all, if the game can't be controlled with the CP, then the game shouldn't be in there in the first place.)

Normally I'd agree, but if I could move any N64 gaming to the bartop then it'd allow me to pack the N64 away (which I suppose I can do anyway, & just use my Wii for GC gaming). I've actually come to think of the unit not as a bartop arcade cabinet, but more a gaming jukebox if that makes sense.

Normally I'd agree, but if I could move any N64 gaming to the bartop then it'd allow me to pack the N64 away (which I suppose I can do anyway, & just use my Wii for GC gaming). I've actually come to think of the unit not as a bartop arcade cabinet, but more a gaming jukebox if that makes sense.

Fair enough. This Mayflash adapter works brilliant (for PS1/2, N64, SS) - if you want to stick with using your existing controllers rather than buying clones.

Master of the Universe

I've actually come to think of the unit not as a bartop arcade cabinet, but more a gaming jukebox if that makes sense.

Could always use a Retrode?

That'd be a bit of fun. Would let you play your Megadrive/Snes carts on it and it also has real Megadrive/snes controller ports.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Could always use a Retrode?

That'd be a bit of fun. Would let you play your Megadrive/Snes carts on it and it also has real Megadrive/snes controller ports.

That's a very good idea :) I'll see how it evolves, I've a ton more to do before even getting that far, more systems/games to add, video card to replace, I've to cut some holes to add fans too....then worry about themes & vids etc. Great fun though, frustrating at times, but everything is learn-able

I've actually come to think of the unit not as a bartop arcade cabinet, but more a gaming jukebox if that makes sense.

I think of mine as the ultimate gaming machine. I should have called it 'The Frankenbox' but MrVestek Arcade has a nice ring to it too.

How well does GB/GBC/GBA emulation work in terms of screen size? Are they played in a small window, & if so, can you disguise the window with artwork to fill the borders or anything?

Didn't get near the bartop today, the great console cull of 2014 is complete :( The games room is reduced to more or less current gen stuff now...

If this is thread hijacking or spoiling or whatever then I apologise in advance.

I have become an Irish distributor for Rich's Bartop Arcades. For anybody intersted in taking on a project and building their own bartops check out the following ad on adverts.ie:

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/bartop-arcade-unit-flatpack-kit/4955224

Thanks guys! :-)

Spammer!!! :D

But posting in the arcade thread was probably enough, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Bit pricey no? Best of luck with that anyways

eddhorse wrote: »
    Bit pricey no? Best of luck with that anyways

Make me an offer. ;-)

Steve I thought both threads might have had two slightly different audiences. Sorry if it's seen as spamming though that's not my intention.

I know that kits like this can be hard to get over here so I have an avenue to get them from a supplier in the UK.

The price also has to reflect the work that goes in to getting them made up and into the country in the first place.

If I ever manage to source a local supplier that offers decent prices for running the CAD design through an auto CNC machine then the price will come down of course.

As it stands I can only get it for a reasonable price in the UK.

• Advertisement

No need for a CNC machine. That's a simple pattern that any cabinet maker could knock out for you.

Was using my MameUIFX32 install the other night, and it's got a simple tick box for the HLSL, I've not played around with the levels or anything, but it looks good. I'll take a screenshot tonight if I can remember. It looks good, but I think the warp/bulge effect to mimic the CRT screen might be a little overdone. Might try playing with the settings put up here earlier in the thread too, see how it compares.

No need for a CNC machine. That's a simple pattern that any cabinet maker could knock out for you.

CnC ftw.
    I know.Thats what I do in work!

Bandit: Time vs Cost vs Effort vs profitability etc.

Cnc is faster and easier no doubt but not necessary is my point.

I've built a lot nicer with a lot less :)

Cnc is faster and easier no doubt but not necessary is my point.

I've built a lot nicer with a lot less :)

If I had the right tools and the space I'd just cut them from sheets of MDF myself. Unfortunately I have neither. :-)

Needs must and all that.

• Advertisement

If I had the right tools and the space I'd just cut them from sheets of MDF myself. Unfortunately I have neither. :-)

Needs must and all that.

Same here, but then I also have a severe impairment when measuring/cutting wood. If I measured a ruler twice I'd get two different readings :o

Don't ever try cutting MDF in the kitchen anyway :)

She will not be amused....

Don't ever try cutting MDF in the kitchen anyway :)

She will not be amused....

Or the hallway. ;-)

IMG_20140210_221949.jpg

969982_10201549988574367_736201378_n.jpg

Aherm. :-P

Tried a couple of screenies using FRAPS to capture the look of the HLSL effect.
    Enjoy some crispy aliens!

Click for full size.
    Mameui64_2014_03_04_21_11_08_31_thumb.png

Mameui64_2014_03_04_21_11_53_31_thumb.png

Tried a couple of screenies using FRAPS to capture the look of the HLSL effect.
    Enjoy some crispy aliens!

Click for full size.
    Mameui64_2014_03_04_21_11_08_31_thumb.png

Mameui64_2014_03_04_21_11_53_31_thumb.png

Did you disable the linear filter? What HLSL code did you use?

• Advertisement
Advertisement