Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On top of the bar...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    You forgot the Sugru :D

For? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    For? :o

Everything dude :)

Ah no, it is good though and I've used it for anti vibration on a few projects.

So, the hdd padded screws have served their purpose. Mechanical noise is greatly reduced, not bad for $2 or something. I've fitted the new hdd brackets too so it's essentially done internally.

Externally, I went ahead & done the perspex. I went with one sheet, instead of two because I couldn't get the bezel to fit right & ended up making a balls of it trying to cut it. I can revisit that again though, & still have the other sheet of perspex here should I do just that.

So this is prob the last I can add to this thread, the only things left are preview vids & themes, but sure everyone knows what they look like. So, to conclude:

2hx21k7.jpg

b53dq0.jpg

I tried again to get a pic of the scanlines, my camera just doesn't play ball with picturing screens very well though

295wh9v.jpg

Thanks to all who helped out, all the advice/tips & graphics cards really helped me out!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Very nice dude. Scanlines looking good too. Have you decided where it's going to sit yet? With yourself or up in the games room?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Very nice dude. Scanlines looking good too. Have you decided where it's going to sit yet? With yourself or up in the games room?

Yeah the scanlines are pretty cool I must say, they look better in person obviously but I can't come near your prowess for capturing them :o Ah it'll stay in this room I think, the games room has been commandeered in such that it's a part bedroom now & part shrine to all things current gen (kids eh!).

• Advertisement

Yeah the scanlines are pretty cool I must say, they look better in person obviously but I can't come near your prowess for capturing them :o Ah it'll stay in this room I think, the games room has been commandeered in such that it's a part bedroom now & part shrine to all things current gen (kids eh!).

Makes sense, you wouldn't get a look in otherwise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That looks gorgeous man, nice one.

If theres anything Ive learned its that you need to have your cabs in close proximity.

Theyre spur of the moment games a lot of the time so best keep access spur of the moment too :)

Is there any point bothering with 3DO emulation? From what I can see, it's fairly lacking...

On another note...PC Engine & PC Engine CD emulation is a thing of beauty. Spent all yesterday setting it up & loading on games (that I legitimately own, all 15GB of them)...what an amazing little system it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I remember drooling over the PC Engine pics in the pages of "Mean Machines" magazine back in the day, never seen one actually running, even via emulation!

I remember drooling over the PC Engine pics in the pages of "Mean Machines" magazine back in the day, never seen one actually running, even via emulation!

It's an 8bit system, with a 16bit gfx chip I think...which gives it a strange mix. You're expecting NES type graphics, but it goes way beyond that...

• Advertisement

Is there any point bothering with 3DO emulation? From what I can see, it's fairly lacking...

On another note...PC Engine & PC Engine CD emulation is a thing of beauty. Spent all yesterday setting it up & loading on games (that I legitimately own, all 15GB of them)...what an amazing little system it is.

Its come a long way in the last year or so.
    Have you tried the recent emulators like 4DO? I think the latest version is from Sept last year.
    http://www.fourdo.com/

It's still not perfect.

Its come a long way in the last year or so.
    Have you tried the recent emulators like 4DO? I think the latest version is from Sept last year.
    http://www.fourdo.com/

It's still not perfect.

That looks good actually. Do you know if Hyperspin/launch has support for it?

Edit - Seems it is, happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I just want to say fair play man. It looks glorious. The photos of street fighter are fantastic.

Screw ps4's and the like. This is the way forward.

Very very jealous.

Very very jealous.

As you can see from the start, it's all very very easy stuff & these are a LOT more house friendly than a real cab. Go for it & do one yourself :)

As you can see from the start, it's all very very easy stuff & these are a LOT more house friendly than a real cab. Go for it & do one yourself :)

Yeah i cant see the wife taking to it tbh. Not even a remote chance of a proper cab but even the bartop would be a no I'd say. I'm lucky she allows all the consoles and gaming stuff around the house as it is to be fair.

Plus I'm more of a feet up on the desk office guy. I wouldn't be able for that DIY lark. I did build laptops and pcs in my past for Iqon Technologies now since gone i believe and I'd most likely be able for the software end of it but yeah no cant see it being for me. Instead I'll just admire your work.

Genuinely looks fantastic. Enjoy! Play lots of street fighter.

Ha, cheers dude :) It's weird, I've put a lot of hours into it so far...but never actually played it more than two or three times. It's all config work, which is fun in its own right when you get the hang of what to do...but I'm looking forward to having it all set up with themes/preview vids etc, & just to be able to turn it on & use it.

Btw Steve, that 4DO emulator is pretty damn good. It's low level open source so will end up being damn good. Super SF2 etc all play at 60fps, it's pretty damn good already actually.

I'm not gonna bother with a separate Neo Geo emulator, as MAME handles everything for me Neo Geo wise. Is there any need to bother with Daphne at all, or is it a bit of a waste of space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yeah a separate NeoGeo theme is enough, Mame emulates it well enough.

Never bothered with Daphne myself, I just go to youtube if I ever get the urge to 'play' Dragon's Lair or Space Ace :)

Yeah a separate NeoGeo theme is enough, Mame emulates it well enough.

So you leave Neo Geo on the systems list, & basically use it as a list of Neo Geo only games which get redirected to Mame? Cool, might do that actually rather than remove it from the systems list.
    Never bothered with Daphne myself, I just go to youtube if I ever get the urge to 'play' Dragon's Lair or Space Ace :)

Yeah, don't think I'll waste my time with it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya just added NeoGeo as another 'system' with its own themes & artwork but just set the emulator to Mame.

• Advertisement

Dreamcast done. Ya ya ya ya ya

Master of the Universe

Dreamcast done. Ya ya ya ya ya

Start playing all those shmups!! :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Start playing all those shmups!! :)

What are some good DC shmups?

Master of the Universe

Ikaruga and Under Defeat definitely need your immediate attention :)

I also really like Castle Shikigami 2 and Zero Gunner 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Was testing out some .gdi rips last night... rips I made myself via my BB adapter you see.

Aherm... anyway. Ready 2 Rumble boxing surprisingly suits an arcade joystick style setup.

So, finally finished adding systems & roms to this thing today. Not that it takes weeks or anything, but I took my time with each system & rather than dumping in a romset for each one, I chose the best rated games for every system, along with my own personal favorite games.

Work slows down on the cd based systems, as there are a few obstacles in the way like cue sheets, the magic behind having each image mounted to a virtual drive & then loaded for an emu to play and then for it to be unloaded when you're done, all automatically. File naming has either right or wrong, there are no grey areas, so this adds on time when you have an iso with 40/50 wav tracks to accompany it etc.

It's all done now though, & I can finally look at themes & vids next. They will have to wait until I drop a new hdd in the unit though, roms and cd images have taken over 160GB, so there's nowhere near enough room for much else on the current drive. I'll buy a new 2/3TB drive at some point, & move everything over to it.

Adding new systems is very handy, HyperHQ is ONLY used now for adding or removing systems, everything else is handled by HyperLaunchHQ these days, from configuring which emu to use for what system, to rom directories, to rom auditing & checking. It's a really, really sweet piece of kit. They even have per-game configuration for games that require slightly different settings to others, meaning you don't have to faff about with settings once configured. For example, certain Sega CD games need an option in Fusion ticked, called 'perfect sync' or they won't work. This setting however breaks other games, so now you can configure from with HyperLaunchHQ which game needs the perfect sync option on, & have it alter the emu's ini when running this game. So handy.

Final tally of systems:

Atari 2600, 5200, 7800
    Atari Lynx
    MAME
    NEC TG16
    NEC TG16-CD
    NES, SNES, N64
    Gameboy, GBC, GBA
    Panasonic 3DO
    Megadrive, Mega CD, 32X
    Game Gear
    Dreamcast
    Master System
    Sega Model 2
    SNK Neo-Geo
    SNK Neo-Geo Pocket Color
    Playstation 1

Actually, I forgot about Taito Type X/2...gonna try set that up for use with Hyperspin...bit of a different animal to set this up from the looks of it, but there's some interesting looking shmups on the system, plus having the arcade versions of SFIV is always cool.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ikaruga and Under Defeat definitely need your immediate attention :)

I also really like Castle Shikigami 2 and Zero Gunner 2

i keep meaning to buy under defeat for the 360. Looks really nice. When i get bored of Mario kart it might be a nice distraction.

Master of the Universe

i keep meaning to buy under defeat for the 360. Looks really nice. When i get bored of Mario kart it might be a nice distraction.

They changed the music in the 360 version. Unforgivable!

The wide screen mode is also worth avoiding.

I have the 360 one but still just use my Dreamcast CDR version.

• Advertisement

Mate of mine in the UK sent me a professional printout of a marquee for my bartop (which it has been sorely missing).

Quick video of it here:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204230167097155

MrVestek wrote: »
    Mate of mine in the UK sent me a professional printout of a marquee for my bartop (which it has been sorely missing).

Quick video of it here:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204230167097155

How come it's not full width? Thought that's what you had before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Actually, I forgot about Taito Type X/2...gonna try set that up for use with Hyperspin...bit of a different animal to set this up from the looks of it, but there's some interesting looking shmups on the system, plus having the arcade versions of SFIV is always cool.

Prepare for a world of pain.

Prepare for a world of pain.

Oh I know...tis a different animal altogether. I'll need to become a gold member on HS, as there's some crucial things on their ftp which makes it a fair bit easier to do I believe.

Oh I know...tis a different animal altogether. I'll need to become a gold member on HS, as there's some crucial things on their ftp which makes it a fair bit easier to do I believe.

It has,become easier with hyperlaunch but you still need to set up each game one at a time.
    I hlave all the files so can give you a dig our if needs be.

Still a few games giving me issues.

Behaviour is erratic too. In that some games work fine when running on my backup test Hyperspin setup. Transfer to the mame rig and they stop working despite drive paths being called the same.

I hlave all the files so can give you a dig our if needs be.

That would be much appreciated! I'm not short changing the HS site as I definitely do have to sub eventually, but need to wait until I have a bigger hdd. Being able to sort out the TTX stuff now would be a bonus!

• Advertisement

No bother dude. Get the games you want first then as you setup each one in hyperlaunch drop me a message.

It's a cumbersome setup in some cases so I might be able to offer some advice too if needed m

No bother dude. Get the games you want first then as you setup each one in hyperlaunch drop me a message.

It's a cumbersome setup in some cases so I might be able to offer some advice too if needed m

Grandiose. One of the guys on the HS site sorted me out with a TTX xml, so should be able to at least get HS pulling info from that. I've set up the TTX wheel, the default emulator as pcloader, & got stuck there as I'd no xml. Will be in touch, cheers

Don't think you need to setup a whole lot in hyperhq other than to say that the games launch with hyperlaunch.

Then into hyperlaunch 3 for all the meaty stuff.

Think you might need to create in Taito ini file also. All your hyperlaunch settings will write to that then.

How come it's not full width? Thought that's what you had before?

It was never full width. :-)

• Advertisement

Cheers for that! Will take a look

Looks kind of out of place to be honest. Would look great as a proper size marquee I'd say. Bit if Photoshop and a reprint and it's be grand(IMHO of course :))

Looks kind of out of place to be honest. Would look great as a proper size marquee I'd say. Bit if Photoshop and a reprint and it's be grand(IMHO of course :))

I like it this way. It's almost the exact width of the cathode lights behind it so I'm happy enough with it. :-)

Ah ok, didn't remember seeing the white glare either side of it before. I think it would look better again if that was covered, imo.

Ah ok, didn't remember seeing the white glare either side of it before. I think it would look better again if that was covered, imo.

That's just a reflection of the light.

@TechnoFreek - That guide you linked to (here) in conjunction with this one, have yielded results for me. I now have SFIV running from Hyperlaunch & Hyperspin. It seems to play fine (albeit with some slowdown at times), & exits fine (I'm able to play, exit & relaunch without issues).

I didn't need anything from the FTP...so am a bit confused how I was able to get it running just by following the guides. I did alter the final step however, instead of pointing HL to the launcher that ArcadePC Loader uses, I pointed it to my own custom batch file. This was because ArcadePC Loader was acting weird, forcing a resolution I didn't want (the game was booting with a widescreen res, despite being set to 640x480 full screen)...so I made my own bat file, bypassing ArcadePC Loader, & HL seems happy to use it. This means the game res is perfect :confused:

Hey dude, I may misled you slightly there with that link I sent. I should have sent the pclauncher guide but the principle is the same. Apologies

http://hyperspin-fe.com/wiki/index.php?title=Taito_-_Type_X_-_PC_Launcher_Page

Gigapig created a youtube tutorial which explains all. Follow this rather than the wiki, you will need additional files. I'll fix you up with those.

SFIV, GigaWing Generations, Raiden III & Raiden IV all set up & working in HS. Pretty damned easy when you have a tutorial video & the necessary files! How the guys figured it all out in the first place is beyond me. Thanks a mill technofreek!

Yeah the process is much better understood and documented now compared to 6 months ago!

Yeah the process is much better understood and documented now compared to 6 months ago!

Love how Hyperlaunch sends a command to irotate.exe for the tate mode games....such a sweet piece of kit :cool: It takes care of EVERYTHING for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement