Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't you just love MWR

Options
  • 23-01-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Saw this on the mid west web site here.....major cock up by Tommy Marren. Genuine mistake by Tommy but its not saying much about the people that listen and text.

Midwest Radio current-affairs presenter Tommy Marren has today issued an unreserved apology to listeners who were offended by a listener text message which was broadcast on the station on Wednesday morning last, January 22nd, where it was suggested that children of gay couples could develop AIDS.

In a statement today Wednesday Mr. Marren – who has presented the award-winning programme for over 20 years – issued an unreserved apology live on air and said it was a serious misjudgement on his part to air the comments.

‘Having an unblemished track-record of over 20 years in current-affairs broadcasting on Midwest Radio I hold my hands up and openly admit I got this very wrong. I can only state the truth which is that this was human error – no more and no less. I did not read the text message before airing it which was the first error of judgement and the second error was not counteracting the ludicrous sentiments expressed in it.

I am extremely sorry for any hurt the broadcast of the text has caused listeners of all persuasions and fully acknowledge that it should not have happened. In apologising to listeners this morning I also spoke to a member of the gay community and conducted a lively debate about the stigmas and difficulties that the gay community in Ireland still face.
    Having dealt with the subject on hundreds of occasions over the years I would hope that I have always treated the subject with impartiality and balance but on this occasion I completely misjudged the content of the points raised by the listener and should have dealt with it in a more professional manner.

In conclusion, I hope that those with an interest in the topic will accept my apology and be assured that neither I personally, nor Midwest Radio, intended to cause any hurt to any member of the gay community.’

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I'd say Tommy Just got caught off guard by not proof reading the email from whatever nutjob sent it in. In fairness he was quick and clear about his apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'd say Tommy Just got caught off guard by not proof reading the email from whatever nutjob sent it in. In fairness he was quick and clear about his apology.

Really? Did he apologise before the end of the programme??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

finisklin wrote: »
    Saw this on the mid west web site here.....major cock up by Tommy Marren. Genuine mistake by Tommy but its not saying much about the people that listen and text.

Midwest Radio current-affairs presenter Tommy Marren has today issued an unreserved apology to listeners who were offended by a listener text message which was broadcast on the station on Wednesday morning last, January 22nd, where it was suggested that children of gay couples could develop AIDS.

In a statement today Wednesday Mr. Marren – who has presented the award-winning programme for over 20 years – issued an unreserved apology live on air and said it was a serious misjudgement on his part to air the comments.

‘Having an unblemished track-record of over 20 years in current-affairs broadcasting on Midwest Radio I hold my hands up and openly admit I got this very wrong. I can only state the truth which is that this was human error – no more and no less. I did not read the text message before airing it which was the first error of judgement and the second error was not counteracting the ludicrous sentiments expressed in it.

I am extremely sorry for any hurt the broadcast of the text has caused listeners of all persuasions and fully acknowledge that it should not have happened. In apologising to listeners this morning I also spoke to a member of the gay community and conducted a lively debate about the stigmas and difficulties that the gay community in Ireland still face.
    Having dealt with the subject on hundreds of occasions over the years I would hope that I have always treated the subject with impartiality and balance but on this occasion I completely misjudged the content of the points raised by the listener and should have dealt with it in a more professional manner.

In conclusion, I hope that those with an interest in the topic will accept my apology and be assured that neither I personally, nor Midwest Radio, intended to cause any hurt to any member of the gay community.’

Genuine mistake maybe but what kind of prodcution procedures do they have in that station if something like this can get through? And after reading the text out he thanks her for her contribution :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I often wonder about live media reading out texts as they come in.

RTE 1 had trouble with this during the presidential campaign, and also some years back when Cullen's PR adviser was slandered.

There should be a delay on phone messages, and some screening of text message before they go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Really? Did he apologise before the end of the programme??

Cut the guy some slack. he was in the middle of a live broadcast. these things happen. like anyone he would have needed a moment to reflect on it and read back over it. before possibly making another mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

nuac wrote: »
    I often wonder about live media reading out texts as they come in.

RTE 1 had trouble with this during the presidential campaign, and also some years back when Cullen's PR adviser was slandered.

There should be a delay on phone messages, and some screening of text message before they go out.

Was the RTE 1 not tweets with Sean Gallagher?

The production crew and the researchers have a lot to answer for. You really need to be a sharp presenter to gauge what's dodgy or not.

I gave up on MWR years ago, disappointed that I missed this clanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Anyone remember the "where would you like to be buried?.......up to me balls in BB Baskin" one on RTE that introduced the delay technology on all live phone-ins.

There is no excuse for a member of staff not bothering to proof-read, it's either laziness or bad management. I was talking to a man in charge of the local GAA Twitter account, he said he's constantly getting people trying to get him to slip up and retweet or mention mad stuff, I'm sure it's much worse in a radio station. MWR need to hang their heads in shame, not Tommy Marren.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

In all fairness, Tommy does a good job. In hindsight he probably shouldnt have read it out without screening it first

If you ever listen to his show, he does a kinda rapid fire of responses that come in via text to a topic or guest he had on the show.

On the other hand, if you ever listed to Michael Commins on Sunday night, theres always people trying to trip him up texting him in nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Try listening to Michael Commins on a Wednesday night!. He's forever starting to read out a text, then starts laughing to himself and finally thanks the sender without the listeners having a clue what's going on!!.

But back to Tommy, there is a 10 second delay on 'phone calls to his show and also he could have added, after reading the text out, that it was purely one person's opinion no matter how crazy it was, and it really was laughable. Except for the fact that the texter was obviously serious.

Unfortunately everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how twisted it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

No I hate MWR

Sorry in advance just needed to get that off my chest.

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    No I hate MWR

Sorry in advance just needed to get that off my chest.

One good thing about radio is that there are plenty of stations you can listen to. If there's one you don't like it's so easy to find one that suits your taste.

Plenty of stations that I don't listen to but none that I can say I hate, simply because I only listen to the ones I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Plenty of stations that I don't listen to but none that I can say I hate, simply because I only listen to the ones I like.

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I may be in the minority here but i think it was great that this text was read out on radio.
    I dont agree with the sender but there are a number of ignorant & homophobic people in our society who are entitled to free speech even in our PC island.
    Even just as a reminder that they exist or as a medium to ignite debate, their sentiments are as valid in our community as mine are whether they are PC or morally correct or not.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

dollybird2 wrote: »
    I may be in the minority here but i think it was great that this text was read out on radio.
    I dont agree with the sender but there are a number of ignorant & homophobic people in our society who are entitled to free speech even in our PC island.
    Even just as a reminder that they exist or as a medium to ignite debate, their sentiments are as valid in our community as mine are whether they are PC or morally correct or not.

Nothing to do with PC, its pure down right ignorance and stupidity and they may as well start reading out that aliens run the world if they are going to be reading out texts with that level of intelligence and truth.

Unfortunately it's not possible to legislate against ignorance and stupidity.

It's a shame but, as I said earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

yop wrote: »
    Nothing to do with PC, its pure down right ignorance and stupidity and they may as well start reading out that aliens run the world if they are going to be reading out texts with that level of intelligence and truth.

I agree it is ignorant & stupid but unfortunately there are people that hold the opinion expressed in that text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

One good thing about radio is that there are plenty of stations you can listen to. If there's one you don't like it's so easy to find one that suits your taste.

I'm aware of this. I hardly listen to it all the time and keep thinking to myself I hate this station. It's years of being forced to listen to it by the parents that has turned me against it.

etxp wrote: »
    I'm aware of this. I hardly listen to it all the time and keep thinking to myself I hate this station. It's years of being forced to listen to it by the parents that has turned me against it.

Parents can be cruel at times:D.

Example: "Rock-a-bye baby on the tree top, when the wind blows the cradle will rock, I was that baby and what bothers me, is why Mum and Dad put me up a tree".

While it was a phenomenally closed minded and stupid text, that misguided soul is as entitled to his/her opinion as everyone on this forum.

Who should decide what is and is not an objectionable opinion?

Let it all out and let the people decide for themselves.

As long as it's not a call to violence against anyone-I'm okay with it.

The fact that this happened the same week as the Cork hurler came out is A sign of how far we've come in a very short period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

finisklin wrote: »
    Saw this on the mid west web site here
    .’
    whitey1 wrote: »

Who should decide what is and is not an objectionable opinion?

Opinion is one thing but putting forward something thats totally false and unsubstantiated as factual should not be broadcast and this is where the presenter fell down....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

While it was a phenomenally closed minded and stupid text, that misguided soul is as entitled to his/her opinion as everyone on this forum.
    Bollocks. That's my opinion, I am entitled to it \:D/

There is no entitlement to anything on a private forum or radio station. Furthermore, there is no entitlement to violate other peoples rights, discriminate, incite hatred etc. Replace the word gay with woman or black and people wouldn't think twice about condemning it. It wasn't even an opinion, it was a blatant untruth put forward as fact.

Bollocks. That's my opinion, I am entitled to it \:D/

There is no entitlement to anything on a private forum or radio station. Furthermore, there is no entitlement to violate other peoples rights, discriminate, incite hatred etc. Replace the word gay with woman or black and people wouldn't think twice about condemning it. It wasn't even an opinion, it was a blatant untruth put forward as fact.

Well who gets to decide what is and isn't true? You?

I'm interested to hear your opinion!

Does God exist?

Is Global warming real?

Are certain ethnic groups more prone to crime that others?

Are certain ethnic groups less intelligent than others?

Is marijuana harmless, or is it a gateway drug?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well who gets to decide what is and isn't true? You?

I'm interested to hear your opinion!

Does God exist?

Is Global warming real?

Are certain ethnic groups more prone to crime that others?

Are certain ethnic groups less intelligent than others?

Is marijuana harmless, or is it a gateway drug?

Mod Note -> Your post is going totally off topic, keep it on topic, no need for a tit for tat on opinions on unrelated topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Mod Note: Don't, you've racked up enough of warnings and bans without me adding another.

Mod Note: Ok we seem to be spiralling here on this thread, I'm leaving it open as it a topic people wish to discuss, we've already had an off topic and a not required post, any more you'll be banned.
    No more warnings.

Advertisement