Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can be done about an informal written warning?

Options
  • 23-01-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Can anything be done about an informal written warning? Somebody I know, no not me, handed in their notice on the same day that they received an informal written warning.

The person concerned has no previous disciplinary record and strongly disputes the claims made in the informal written warning. However, he is concerned that he will not get a good future reference.

Is it possible to fight such a warning if the company has appeared to follow all the correct disciplinary procedures, but has come to a disputed conclusion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

An informal written warning wouldn't go on file. I assume you mean a formal written warning aka a written warning.

The person can appeal. I'd simply ask HR if it would appear on a reference which I doubt it would. I've rarely worked for a company that do anything other than confirm dates and position and I've yet to have an issue securing employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Bepolite wrote: »
    An informal written warning wouldn't go on file. I assume you mean a formal written warning aka a written warning.

The person can appeal. I'd simply ask HR if it would appear on a reference which I doubt it would. I've rarely worked for a company that do anything other than confirm dates and position and I've yet to have an issue securing employment.

It says on the letter that it is decided not to proceed with the formal disciplinary procedure and that this is an INFORMAL WRITTEN WARNING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

It says on the letter that it is decided not to proceed with the formal disciplinary procedure and that this is an UNINFORMAL WRITTEN WARNING.

It sounds like:

1) that company doesn't have a clue what they're doing and
    2) it's not going on the record.

Just ask HR if this "warning" will appear on the employees record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Uninformal?
    That means formal?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

stoneill wrote: »
    Uninformal?
    That means formal?

Sorry, should say informal written warning. Have just noticed that and edited post. Apologies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I don't think there is such thing as an informal written warning, not usually, but if they called it that then the fact that it is informal should not matter as regards a reference. It may depend on what the issue is. The person is leaving now, I'm assuming as a result of the claims made against them. They may be doing this on principle, to prove a point that they won't tolerate false accusations, but future employers might see it differently and she could be making her chance for good reference even worse by doing so, ie burning the bridge completely.

However, if it is an informal warning it was probably nothing too serious, and I think that once someone leaves a place, most people won't bother badmouthing them in a reference check unless they did something majorly wrong and it was proven or led to dismissal, but time and the person's personality are factors there. Some people hold grudges longer or more intensely. Keep in mind there's often more than one person in a former workplace you could use for a reference, depending on the size of the company, for example you might have a sup. for your dept., a sup for the particular shift you work, one from another dept. who you communicate with on certain issues, etc. Find one you get on with and approach them about giving you a reference before leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Then don't worry about it. It's a 'letter of concern' and doesn't/shouldn't go on file. Get the employee to ask HR, no nothing can be done about informal warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I've only received one informal written warning in my time but that was kept on file for 6 months and then destroyed once that time had passed and no further issues had arisen. It never featured in any reference I got from the organisation concerned. I doubt his employer would bother including it in any reference they give now, as it was an informal warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

When an employee is verbally "counselled" warned or receives other other constructive feedback, it is not uncommon for a letter to bee added to the employee record noting this. In some companies this is the first stage in the formal discipline process in other it is considered pre-process and informal.

The main purpose of this is to record that there has been a discussion so taht if the behavior does not improve then the employer can use this as evidence that efforts were made to correct eh issue before moving to the next step in the process. If things improve, the note is often removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bepolite wrote: »

I would expect that all warnings written, verbal or informal to go onto an employees file - and remain there. It may have expired but it should be there.
    It is lax HR to give any warning and not document it properly, this could be the foundation for a much bigger disciplinary proceeding and they all have to start somewhere, I know people don't like to think of it like that, but when its your job you have to do it properly..

One big mistake managers make is not documenting such things. Even if an employee is five minutes late and you call them out on it, it should be noted in a diary and can be referred back to if it becomes an issue to build a history of problems.

I've looked over cases where employees were let off with crazy stuff because through poor documentation on the managers behalf a disciplinary couldnt be enforced.

One lecturer, whom I wont name famously said to us "line up your ducks as you go along, then when shooting season opens you'll be a happy hunter"

• Advertisement
Advertisement