Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memorial/wall at back of Airport on way to the Boot Inn.

Options
  • 23-01-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

For many many years I have had occasion to drive at the back of airport heading down towards the Boot INN. R108

Just after you enter this road from the Swords end there is a wall and some marker stones giving distances to various places. Can anybody give me information about this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

The wall you refer too is the remains of an old pub/coaching inn similar to the Boot Inn and is known locally as the Tavern , it was still in use up to the 40/50's I think .
    The wall and stone works as they are today , were restored by a local man and great character Dick O'Brien from beyanth at dunbro lane during the 90's if my memory serves me right, hth's

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

dslamjack wrote: »
    The wall you refer too is the remains of an old pub/coaching inn similar to the Boot Inn and is known locally as the Tavern , it was still in use up to the 40/50's I think .
    The wall and stone works as they are today , were restored by a local man and great character Dick O'Brien from beyanth at dunbro lane during the 90's if my memory serves me right, hth's

Thanks a lot, never guessed that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Can someone post a link from Google maps, I know this wall but can't quite place it. Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Can someone post a link from Google maps, I know this wall but can't quite place it. Thanks!

I think this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

I think this is it.

That's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Thanks Dizzyblonde :)

You can see it here on the osi maps as "Forrest Tavern"

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715314,744516,7,9

Maps from 1897-1913

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Brilliant maps, those, thanks - looks like Forrest Tavern was on a main route before they built that damn highway down to Keelings!

My gaff used to be a field.

Advertisement