Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    As of last week it will not.

What will it contain?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

What will it contain?

Nothing final but at the minute of the new routes started the following will operate in winter:

Paris, Berlin, Warsaw, Krakow, Munich (reduced) and then the usual ones that were here last winter.

As I said all could easily change but AGP isn't included for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nothing final but at the minute of the new routes started the following will operate in winter:

Paris, Berlin, Warsaw, Krakow, Munich (reduced) and then the usual ones that were here last winter.

As I said all could easily change but AGP isn't included for now.

Malaga isn't too Ideal though, I would be looking at majorca or at least a cheaper lanzarote. Atm lanzarote in 173.99 per way in late october, and that will not work with 17 of us on a budget.

As for the passenger numbers, can anyone sum up jan-april compared to last year? (And maybe cork.)

Edit: I just realised that cork airport has streetview inside!
    I also noticed that ryanair and aer lingus are the only non charter airlines there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

<...>Then Shannon disgracefully plays the celeb circus game by rolling out the red carpet, thus gaining a world of free media publicity in the process.

You have a problem with that? <....>
    Just to observe, I very much don't have any problem with Shannon Airport taking any opportunity to gain profile. And giving a signal to Trump and, by extension, any US investor that they'll be welcomed and treated seriously is something that I'll expect he'll notice and remember. Shannon management, IMHO, are very effectively letting anyone and everyone know they're open for business.

What I think jarred with many of us was the actions of our national Finance Minister. I'm afraid it is a somewhat demeaning image to see Noonan freezing his nuts off, while waiting for Trump to come down the stairs. Fine if Noonan was meeting a peer, like another Finance Minister or political leader. But waiting cap in hand for the gentleman from America is actually a little upsetting.

That's no reflection on Shannon; they're right to seize opportunities and, given that Trump's investments in Scotland aren't as welcome to the local community, it may produce something for them. The issue is about our Finance Minister's lack of decorum - let it be said, an uncharacteristic mistake from a very competent Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Malaga isn't too Ideal though, I would be looking at majorca or at least a cheaper lanzarote. Atm lanzarote in 173.99 per way in late october, and that will not work with 17 of us on a budget.

As for the passenger numbers, can anyone sum up jan-april compared to last year? (And maybe cork.)

Edit: I just realised that cork airport has streetview inside!
    I also noticed that ryanair and aer lingus are the only non charter airlines there.

SNN figures for Jan-Mar were probably slightly up on last year, Feb saw 9% growth which would cancel out any decline in Jan (2.5%) and Mar (not released).

Cork was down for all months however they should see modest growth in the summer to.

• Advertisement

SNN figures for Jan-Mar were probably slightly up on last year, Feb saw 9% growth which would cancel out any decline in Jan (2.5%) and Mar (not released).

Cork was down for all months however they should see modest growth in the summer to.

Growth as in compared to last year? Doubt it. Cork only has one new route (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Ryanair winter schedule still not out- one would hope it might include Malaga at least.

Will they do any of the other canary island from shannon on the winter schedule this year does anybody think?

relaxed wrote: »
    Will they do any of the other canary island from shannon on the winter schedule this year does anybody think?

I doubt it.

I hope they commence a palma service in the winter of 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

What I think jarred with many of us was the actions of our national Finance Minister. I'm afraid it is a somewhat demeaning image to see Noonan freezing his nuts off, while waiting for Trump to come down the stairs. Fine if Noonan was meeting a peer, like another Finance Minister or political leader. But waiting cap in hand for the gentleman from America is actually a little upsetting.

. . . . . The issue is about our Finance Minister's lack of decorum - let it be said, an uncharacteristic mistake from a very competent Minister.
    Your observation would aptly reflect the views of a pampered Dublin civil servant.

What jars me are the real demeaning images of thousands of people freezing their nuts off, by queuing weekly outside dole offices across the country.

Unlike the civil servant, Minister Michael Noonan knows that his constituency will fire him if does not get his job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Great to see you liked the experience.

Your observation would aptly reflect the views of a pampered Dublin civil servant.

What jars me are the real demeaning images of thousands of people freezing their nuts off, by queuing weekly outside dole offices across the country.

Unlike the civil servant, Minister Michael Noonan knows that his constituency will fire him if does not get his job done.
    I'm afraid you're falling into the trap of feeling you have to defend everything vaguely Shannon-related.

I've now actually a slightly more negative view of the whole event. The reason this kind of thing would be done is to project the image that we think is attractive to Irish America. Well, here's how it's described on a leading Irish-American new site
    Donald Trump arrived in Shannon, Ireland on Monday (May 12) for a three-day stay and the reception at the airport was positively weird.

Trump alighted from his 757 private jet to be met by three musicians in traditional Irish garb playing what sounded like a funeral dirge in his honor.

The puzzled Trump can be seen stopping and staring at the sight as the three musicians, including a harpist, trembled in the early morning cold.

Also there paying homage to The Donald was Ireland’s Minister for Finance Michael Noonan, the second most powerful man in the government.<...>
    There's such a thing as trying too hard. And such a thing as inviting contempt.

On the domestic front, the Daily Edge caught the sheer cringe-inducing awfulness of the event.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/donald-trump-arrival-ireland-video-1460731-May2014/

They also recorded for posterity the moment when Michael Noonan must have realised this wasn't quite what he'd signed up for when he got an invite to meet Trump in Shannon with the meeja all around. It sort of says all you need to know about the superficiality of Trump when his staff obviously can't brief him well enough to be able to distinguish between the Finance Minister and the help.

lockman wrote: »
    April 2014 saw a large increase in passenger numbers at Shannon, when compared to April 2013. Highlights of this increase include:

Passenger numbers on European routes rose to 38,610, from 16,087 in April 2013, with UK provincial increasing by 27%, from 13,401 to 17,000. Transatlantic, meanwhile, enjoyed an 18% uplift in the month, from 20,147 to 23,852.

For the full release, see the airports news section:
    http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/14-05-12/140_increase_in_passengers_on_European_services_at_Shannon_in_April.aspx

April saw the introduction of the nine Ryanair routes to various European destinations, the new Aer Lingus route to Malaga, and the return of the Aer Lingus Regional route to Bristol, along with Aer Lingus Regional increase in services to Manchester and Birmingham.

Great to see this increase. The airport had been very quiet thus far in 2014 in terms of passenger numbers, so one assumes the numbers were static / saw a decline up to April.
    It would have been nice to have seen the UK-London and the Transit passenger numbers too.

306876.jpg

Shannon Airport air traffic up +31.7% for April (IAA)

No surprises here due to the planned start of the new routes.

Is their anyway to source passenger numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Is their anyway to source passenger numbers

CSO website- however it takes some time for them to appear. The CAA site provides data for UK routes.

CSO website- however it takes some time for them to appear. The CAA site provides data for UK routes.

3 months, it will be at least july.

3 months, it will be at least july.
    You can compare the CSO passenger numbers for January 2014 with January 2013.

Unfortunately the Transit numbers are not published there. See link.

I'm afraid you're falling into the trap of feeling you have to defend everything vaguely Shannon-related.
    Fear not, 'tis yourself that is stuck in some hole, digging for anything that could be used to fault Shannon Airport with.
    I've now actually a slightly more negative view of the whole event.
    Do we need to measure the levels of your negativity?
    . . . . There's such a thing as trying too hard. And such a thing as inviting contempt.
    Hmmm . . . . coming from you, that's very ironic! :rolleyes:
    On the domestic front, the Daily Edge caught the sheer cringe-inducing awfulness of the event.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/donald-trump-arrival-ireland-video-1460731-May2014/
    Must admit I felt sorry for the singer with the two musicians as the engines completely drowned them out.

Somebody should have told the pilot to shut them down beforehand.
    They also recorded for posterity the moment when Michael Noonan must have realised this wasn't quite what he'd signed up for when he got an invite to meet Trump in Shannon with the meeja all around. It sort of says all you need to know about the superficiality of Trump when his staff obviously can't brief him well enough to be able to distinguish between the Finance Minister and the help.

All I can see is 19 hectic seconds of newsreel where photographers are shooting from their cameras.

Either you are you clutching at straws or am I missing something here?

Still though I can't wait for your next shocking video, probably showing Donald Trump walking on one of those poor Doonbeg Snails. ;)

<...> am I missing something here?
    Look, any reasonable observer can see the locals are only short of bursting into a rousing chorus of "Hey, hey we're the flunkeys".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

To be sure Trump is here to make money from golf and that means a livelihood for the residents of Doonbeg too.

Believe that and you believe anything. He is in Ireland for the good of himself and himself only.

There are a couple of jobsbridge schemes going there if you're interested in applying.

The fact Michael Noonan was there like a scene off Darby O Gill was even worse. Surely he has more pressing matters to deal with than waiting to shake hands with a rich man with a dodgy haircut?

Will every millionaire get a welcome like that?

Could they not have found a local group of musicians to welcome him? How much did it cost to get Afinití down from Dublin?

What is the big fuss over Donal Trump? Is he some kind of "celebrity"?

The man thought he could throw enough money at the locals in Scotland and they'd roll over.

Do you honestly believe Donald Trump gives a toss about the people of West Clare? Do you know what happened in Scotland?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

More world class coverage from the States.
    Donald Trump is in Ireland — the CLASSIEST, YOOGEST ISLAND. How do you greet Donald Trump when he gets off a plane? Do you have Bobbsey Triplets playing violin, harp, and Ariel’s mermaid voice, in matching red cocktail dresses and five inch beige heels? No, because you did not think of it first<...>
    If the world notices our Finance Minister is out there on the tarmac, we're screwed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm still trying to figure out what Mr. Noonan was doing there, if he was there in an official capacity why didn't he have an attaché with him or other signs of pomp and ceremony, also, if he's there in an official capacity as Finance Minister welcoming a wealthy American, why isn't he welcoming all the other private jets that arrive with wealthy people on it, if he's welcoming someone who has invested €15 in a property development nearby, is he doing the same for the rest of the places. If he's there as a local representative why aren't there other politicians there and Shannon isn't in his election area so surely other politicians from nearby areas should be there as well.

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out what Mr. Noonan was doing there . . . .
    . . . If he's there as a local representative why aren't there other politicians there and Shannon isn't in his election area so surely other politicians from nearby areas should be there as well.
    According to the Irish Times today, Minister for Finance Michael Noonan was personally contacted by Donald Trump over the entrepreneur’s business plans following his purchase of Doonbeg golf course in Co Clare.

Mr Noonan granted a request from Mr Trump to speak to the Minister regarding his proposals for Ireland, the Department of Finance said.

Mr Trump said he is considering more investments in Ireland and Mr Noonan, based in Limerick, is most powerful political figure in the southwest region.

Thousands of Limerick voters are dependent (directly / indirectly) on Shannon Airport for their livelihood too.

Obviously, Michael Noonan as Minister for Finance has the responsibility for NAMA too and they must attract investors back into Ireland to boost the collapsed leisure and office property sectors.

Meeting Trump is a hands on approach.

The berlin flights are back at €38. Used to be €20:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How much did Afinití cost, and why couldn't a local group be sourced? Or did they think Trump would only be impressed with a few dolly birds in short dresses.....?

PRICE ALERT:

€38 Return to Munich. (Memmingen)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

According to the Irish Times today, Minister for Finance Michael Noonan was personally contacted by Donald Trump over the entrepreneur’s business plans following his purchase of Doonbeg golf course in Co Clare.

Mr Noonan granted a request from Mr Trump to speak to the Minister regarding his proposals for Ireland, the Department of Finance said.

Mr Trump said he is considering more investments in Ireland and Mr Noonan, based in Limerick, is most powerful political figure in the southwest region.

Thousands of Limerick voters are dependent (directly / indirectly) on Shannon Airport for their livelihood too.

Obviously, Michael Noonan as Minister for Finance has the responsibility for NAMA too and they must attract investors back into Ireland to boost the collapsed leisure and office property sectors.

Meeting Trump is a hands on approach.

Next time I'm asked to meet someone I must see if I can meet them on the runway then, meeting someone like that is usually reserved for foreign dignitaries.

Lots of other areas are dependent on Shannon Airport as well, not just Limerick.

Lots of other areas are dependent on Shannon Airport as well, not just Limerick.

The reason it was said limerick people are dependent on shannon is because of Michael Noonan being at the airport to greet Mr Trump.

I agree other areas are dependant on Shannon Airport, Namely, Shannon Town itself. Ennis is also like limerick, very dependant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

. If he's there as a local representative why aren't there other politicians there and Shannon isn't in his election area so surely other politicians from nearby areas should be there as well.

He is, effictively, the minister for the region, previously tony Killeen was the minister at the Cabinet table and before that willie o'dea.

You will notice there has really only ever been one heavy hitter from the mid west at cabinet table at any particular time.

So, at the moment he is the most influential politician in the mid west and carries far more clout than if 10 local councilers turned up together.

• Advertisement

Next time I'm asked to meet someone I must see if I can meet them on the runway . . .
    You could, but don't you also start taking the piss out of Trumps visit to Shannon too! ;)
    . . . then, meeting someone like that is usually reserved for foreign dignitaries.
    Is that not the job of the President, the Taoiseach or the Minister for Foreign Affairs to formally meet foreign dignitaries at the airport.

Strictly speaking this was the remit of the Minister for Tourism to be there.

Business meetings with the Minister for Finance or the Minister of Enterprise are to be welcomed, if done in the national interest.
    What does that suppose to mean? :confused:

I wasn't aware that this media event had caused a political snub in the Mid-West?

Along side the Finance Minister Michael Noonan, the Mayor of Clare Cllr Joe Arkins and the Clare County Manager Tom Coughlan were also there.

So who were missing?

The Mayors of Limerick, Tipperary, North Kerry and South Offaly?

Look, on one hand a five-star golfers hotel with 218 suites, restaurants, bars, spa, golf shop and a golf course went into receivership with a threat to 200 jobs in Doonbeg.

Then you have an independent Shannon Airport running flights to New York, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia and Toronto.

Along comes Donald Trump owner of 15 golf clubs to date and acquires Doonbeg.

Shannon Airport sees Trump's acquisition as an ideal opportunity to promote golf tourism to the American market with the pure intention of increasing Trans-Atlantic passengers.

'Trump factor' kicks in as new Doonbeg owner arrives (Shannon Airport)

Advertisement