Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Contemporary Challenges in Continuing Airworthiness and Maintenance Education and Training (Royal Aeronautical Society)

The Airworthiness and Maintenance Group will be holding a one day conference at the University of Limerick, Ireland on 7th September 2016.

This conference aims to provide a platform for industry stakeholders, regulators, professional training organisations and educational institutions to review the growing technical skill requirements of the Continuing Airworthiness and Maintenance industry, and identify how best to meet these requirements through education and training.

CjafaZ1WEAAWo-o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Outgoing Shannon boss says airport has delivered
    Barry O'Halloran

Last Updated: Monday, June 13, 2016, 01:00
    Shannon Group contributed an extra 105 million to the economy since it broke from Dublin Airport Authority (DAA), outgoing chief executive Neil Pakey said.

Mr Pakey formally left the helm of the State company at the weekend at the conclusion of his three-year contract.

In a surprise move last December, Shannon announced that it would not be renewing the agreement despite the fact that the airport had grown significantly.

Speaking at the weekend, Mr Pakey indicated that he had no regrets about leaving.

It s great that I fulfilled the contract, he said. I came into an airport in decline, it had been separated from DAA, I helped transform it, and turn it around.

He pointed out that a study by consultancy York Aviation shows that the growth at Shannon Airport over the three years to the end of 2015 delivered 105 million to the Republic s economy, including 60 million to the group s hinterland, and had created 1,070 new jobs.

Shannon commissioned the report, and it went to the group s board. A copy was also given to the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, although it was not published.

UK-based York has worked for Ryanair, London Transport, and airports such as Amsterdam Schiphol, Stansted, London City, Edinburgh and Krakow in Poland in recent years.

Aviation centre

Its report covered the period after the break with DAA and the establishment of the new Shannon Group, which took over responsibilty for the old Shannon Development as well as taking charge of the area s new aviation centre of excellence and heritage business.
    Mr Pakey joined as chief executive three years ago, six months into the timeframe covered by the report. He was the first to be appointed the role after Shannon broke from Dublin.

It says that the decision to go independent has been proven to be the right one, Mr Pakey said. He pointed out that passenger numbers at Shannon rose 25 per cent during the period. Last year 1.7 million travelled through there.

The government helped to drive this growth by axing a 3 per cent passenger tax in 2014, prompting both Ryanair and Aer Lingus to increase the number of flights out of the Republic s airports, including Shannon.

Mr Pakey said that, along with the airport s growth, the heritage business also expanded, winning the contract for this year s 2016 centenary exhibition at the GPO in Dublin.

He noted that Shannon Development had been wound down. It is now a commercial property business.

One challenge facing Mr Pakey s successor will be tackling the 47 per cent vacancy rate on a group of properties in an area stretching from counties Offaly to Kerry.

Departure

Days before his departure, the Regional and Business Airports Group elected Mr Pakey chairman at its annual gathering at Britain s National Exhibition Centre at Birmingham Airport. He confirmed that he has been discussing a number of opportunities.
    He acknowledged that he would have been happy to stay had Shannon offered a second term. Either way I wish them well, he said.

Matthew Thomas of Canadian airport operator Vantage takes over as chief executive of the State-owned group.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/outgoing-shannon-boss-says-airport-has-delivered-1.2681779#.V14f4e0Mn5o.twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Have they appointed somebody new yet?

Matthew Thomas, about 6 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Second diversion to Shannon in 8 hours (Clare Herald)

American Airlines flight 290 was en route from New York’s JFK airport to Dublin when a passenger fell ill and the crew decided to divert to mid-west airport this morning.

Last night, American Airlines flight 141 diverted to Shannon after the crew reported a technical issue over the Atlantic.

The Boeing 777-200 jet was travelling from London’s Heathrow Airport to JFK International Airport in New York with 100 passengers and crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Anyone at the runway run? I was in charge of refreshments and it was like a scene from a zombie movie with people fighting over water and bars.

This table shows the breakdown of passenger numbers across all market segments for the last 3 years (Shannon Airport)

Interesting to see the growth of transit traffic.

Update: There must be a typo made here by the Airport regarding the transit figures . . . should it not be 92.427 instead of 192.427 ?

389302.jpg

50.4% of passengers are transit while a excellent figure I would be a little concerned it's on the high side.

Assume domestic are all diversions from DUB/ORK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Anyone at the runway run? I was in charge of refreshments and it was like a scene from a zombie movie with people fighting over water and bars.

I did the runway run and gave up waiting for water due to the queue to get into the tent. It was ridiculous to have such a small throughway and tent for such a large number of people. Otherwise it was a great event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

This table shows the breakdown of passenger numbers across all market segments for the last 3 years (Shannon Airport)

Interesting to see the growth of transit traffic.

Update: There must be a typo made here by the Airport regarding the transit figures . . . should it not be 92.427 instead of 192.427 ?

389302.jpg

I added the numbers up and it definitely should be 92k not 192k.

Deagol wrote: »
    I added the numbers up and it definitely should be 92k not 192k.

That would seem more realistic.

Jet diverts to Shannon with sick passenger (Clare Herald)

A transatlantic jet diverted to Shannon Airport earlier today after a passenger was reported to have fallen ill.

Norwegian Air Shuttle flight NAX-7016 was travelling from New York’s JFK airport to Gatwick in England at the time.

mel.b wrote: »
    I did the runway run and gave up waiting for water due to the queue to get into the tent. It was ridiculous to have such a small throughway and tent for such a large number of people. Otherwise it was a great event.

I think the tent was plenty big enough but the light we had gave up just as the crowds started to gather. They should have had more than the 3 of us in the tent though. Everyone just started helping themselves to stuff with most taking at least 2 bottles of water.

SNN-AMS is anna.aeros unserved route of the week, 30k searches on skyscanner last 12 months most from Dutch side

http://www.anna.aero/2016/05/25/shannon-amsterdam-is-skyscanner-unserved-route-of-the-week/

KLM to Start AMS from DUB, 2 daily.

Thats 11x daily flights at DUB, are they missing a game at SNN?

KLM have been tipped for SNN for ages. A matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Carnacalla wrote: »
    SNN-AMS is anna.aeros unserved route of the week, 30k searches on skyscanner last 12 months most from Dutch side

http://www.anna.aero/2016/05/25/shannon-amsterdam-is-skyscanner-unserved-route-of-the-week/

KLM to Start AMS from DUB, 2 daily.

Thats 11x daily flights at DUB, are they missing a game at SNN?

Was just going to post this..a matter of time? We've been waiting a pretty long time already. 11 times daily seems a lot, even for Dublin.

Omni 762 in EI colours arrived this morning

Also rumoured on another forum that Kuwait Airways are starting KWI-SNN-JFK flights soon

Omni 762 in EI colours arrived this morning

Also rumoured on another forum that Kuwait Airways are starting KWI-SNN-JFK flights soon

Would that be for fuel or to pick up passengers like Ethiopian in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

They will not be picking up any pax in SNN...

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/03/21/kuwait-airways-jfk/

• Advertisement

The reviews of the 767 SNN-Bos service are really poor again this year. Friend of mine works for the company and she said they were giving out duty free vouchers for weeks to make up for the IFE systems not working.

Could potentially have a negative impact on the SNN-Bos reputation. If you type "Aer Lingus Shannon" in Twitter search bar and scroll through you'll come across some of them.

Airbus330 wrote: »
    The reviews of the 767 SNN-Bos service are really poor again this year. Friend of mine works for the company and she said they were giving out duty free vouchers for weeks to make up for the IFE systems not working.

Could potentially have a negative impact on the SNN-Bos reputation. If you type "Aer Lingus Shannon" in Twitter search bar and scroll through you'll come across some of them.

No surprise, the 767 with the EI service onboard only arrived today!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Airbus330 wrote: »

No surprise, the 767 with the EI service onboard only arrived today!

Be interesting to see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

767 has been in operation since June 8th.

767-242(ER) in Aer Lingus colours only started yesterday.

Ennisman wrote: »
    767 has been in operation since June 8th.

767-242(ER) in Aer Lingus colours only started yesterday.

Hence why I said -"with the EI service "

Thanks. Plane could also change to 300 series. Not confirmed yet though.

At least they've a better effort with the colours this year.

Ennisman wrote: »
    Thanks. Plane could also change to 300 series. Not confirmed yet though.

At least they've a better effort with the colours this year.

And apparently the service is much better too, although obviously not for the first two weeks of operations, it's like EI are trying to damage their reputation!

When could the aircraft change to the 300 series?

Only talk at the moment. I hear its in for maintenance and will change soon but that mightn't happen either.

https://flic.kr/p/Jrr5NM

• Advertisement

Starts tomorrow.

Advertisement