Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Delta take-off (Limerick Post)
    Delta Air Lines is resuming its summer seasonal flights between Shannon and New York JFK.

The flights will operate daily from May 17, in conjunction with joint venture partners Air France and KLM.

The service will be operated with a 167 seat B757-200 aircraft.

“The summer is always the most popular time for leisure travel, particulary to New York, so it’s important we offer services to meet this demand,” said Perry Cantarutti, Delta’s senior vice president for Europe, Middle East and Africa.

How does this joint venture between Delta and Air France / KLM work from Shannon’s point of view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

How does this joint venture between Delta and Air France / KLM work from Shannon’s point of view?
    Is it a codeshare? Basically, Delta run the service, but all three airlines sell tickets for the flight as if it was one of their own.

So KL 6153, AF 3674 and DL 223 are all the same actual flight. But a KLM customer might have just booked it on their website, etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd be very wary of "The Donald". I certainly wouldn't provide the Doonbeg project any form of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon Airport sees Trump's acquisition as an ideal opportunity to promote golf tourism to the American market with the pure intention of increasing Trans-Atlantic passengers.

Finally, A reason logical reason for Shannon having done what they did.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Finally, A reason logical reason for Shannon having done what they did.
    I don't think anyone was especially saying that it was illogical for Shannon to overdo the obsequious bit. The bovver was about our Finance Minister demeaning the State.

You see, this is being presented as Ireland bowing and scraping before Trump, not Shannon bowing and scraping.

I think they sort of know they misjudged this one. No big deal, so long as we all learned something. In fairness, Cowen gave a letter of support to some bunch of eejits to go around the Middle East looking for funding for an airport in Athlone or something.

It's not the first time the national brand has been dragged through the mud.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone was especially saying that it was illogical for Shannon to overdo the obsequious bit. The bovver was about our Finance Minister demeaning the State.

You see, this is being presented as Ireland bowing and scraping before Trump, not Shannon bowing and scraping.

I think they sort of know they misjudged this one. No big deal, so long as we all learned something. In fairness, Cowen gave a letter of support to some bunch of eejits to go around the Middle East looking for funding for an airport in Athlone or something.

It's not the first time the national brand has been dragged through the mud.

Anyway lets get over it, and what the hell, we have enough airports, too many, we only need the three established ones (and maybe a small one for connecting in donegal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Where is this being presented as such, somewhere credible like the New York times or London financial times?

Who said they misjudged this one, has Enda Kenny or even the opposition leaders come out and said so or did you just make it up yourself?

Trump already bought the place, so where are Ireland bowing and scraping?

Its not like he arrived in 2009 after the crash seeking to buy ghost estates for €1000 per house.

Nothing wrong with a bit of a fan fare, there is no such thing as bad publicity so its all good. Try see it for what it is, which is free advertising and you might feel a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

there is no such thing as bad publicity
    Just look at Ryanair.

Over the years there have been suggestiona as varied as standing only or pay to use the toilets.

In both cases they got acres of press coverage.

Neither was going to happen but.....

In defense of Donald Trump and his red carpet Irish welcome (Irish Central)

By Eamon Delaney

Maybe it’s my old diplomatic training, but I was delighted to see the red carpet welcome we put on at Shannon Airport for billionaire Donald Trump as he arrived to announce further investment in his Doonbeg golf course. It was a literally a red carpet welcome, and as he came off his trademark personal jet and walked along it, he was greeted warmly by our Finance Minister, Michael Noonan, accompanied by a violinist in full flow, a harpist and a traditional Irish singer!

Fantastic. You won’t get that in many other small European countries, unless you’re the Queen of England. But we know how to do a welcome here. And you could see on the TV pictures that the notoriously prickly Trump was pleasantly taking it in. His catchphrase might be ‘you’re fired!’ from his time as the boss in the US version of TV’s "Apprentice," but on this occasion, the bequiffed one was looking at the friendly Gaels and more likely thinking ‘you’re hired.’ The local joke was that his hair had arrived a half hour before him, and got an equally warm welcome.

Inside the Shannon terminal, it was the serious business of speeches, and again not a foot put wrong, with Noonan and the Mayor of Clare beaming and Trump promising he would create hundreds of jobs, through his €54 million ($74m) redevelopment. ‘This is something that Ireland is going to be extremely proud of,’ said one of world’s most famous investors. The whole thing was a masterclass in what we do best, a combination of salesmanship and cultural chutzpah, or ‘the IDA meets Blarney Castle.’ And it works – just look at the amount of US-created jobs in Ireland.

So imagine my annoyance when I saw that, far from being impressed by this welcome, many naysayers thought it was ‘over the top’ and ‘demeaning’ and that our very busy Minister of Finance shouldn’t have been there. (Wake up guys, he’s a Limerick TD and there’s an election on.) This is a silly begrudging attitude which in much of the negative commentary was immediately undermined by the begrudgers concession that Donald Trump is in fact a very wealthy man whose investments have transformed New York and Las Vegas. Exactly. And if we got even a slice of this, wouldn't it be worth rolling out the red carpet?

As it is, Trump has committed to a major investment at the Doonbeg course, despite the serious environmental hurdles and the weather! The begrudgery also misses the point: Trump is also a major ‘showman’ celebrity and the reception was in that spirit. It’s a thing that we, the Irish, are good at. Trump arrived in his own personalized Boeing 757 jet with a big T logo on the tail fin, and arrived like a king, and we responded to that. The musicians on the tarmac were part of it all, and just a bit of craic. Even Noonan was treating it as a bit tongue in cheek, although with serious intent.

For the Shannon reception also showed Trump a sense of respect. It also showed that it is worth putting on a strong and welcoming show if it means boosting our FDI especially from the US, where so much of our investment comes from. Such hospitality results in Irish jobs, plain and simple, something that the begrudgers won’t be providing. It was an approach that worked for us in the 1960's when, in the midst of high emigration, this kind of inward investment saved our bacon. Interestingly, much of it began at Shannon, with the creation of an enterprise zone.

I speak from experience on this, as I recently had to bring some powerful American business people around Dublin, getting them political and cultural briefings, which they really appreciated it. We went out of our way for them, and they saw that. Most of them are CEOs who are close to near retirement, but they are still investing heavily, including in Ireland.

The begrudgers also complain that the likes of Trump are getting investments like Doonbeg for a knock down price. But, hey, welcome to the real world. Would they prefer that no one bought it? In fact, the can-do colorful Trump is the ideal figure for a challenging venture like Doonbeg, a golf course situated on the wild Atlantic, which unbelievably, is challenged by the environmental protection needs of an Ice age snail. But the naysayers should be happy about one thing. Trump is also opposed to any windfarms spoiling his golfer’s view.

And if they thought he could lead a national campaign on that one, they might even come and join us in a lucrative Cead Mile Failte!.

Eamon Delaney is a former diplomat and now a columnist and author.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

can anyone see ryanair puting on more destinations from shannon?

• Advertisement

zweton wrote: »
    can anyone see ryanair puting on more destinations from shannon?

Yes, I can.

relaxed wrote: »
    Where is this being presented as such, somewhere credible like the New York times or London financial times?
    Try reading the thread.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of a fan fare, there is no such thing as bad publicity so its all good. Try see it for what it is, which is free advertising and you might feel a bit better.
    Fanfare is grand. Ryanair pumping up their reputation for being cheap with stories about charging for toilets is explicable.

Looking like you can roll our Finance Minister for a few tens of millions - less than the Department of Social Protection would spend in a day - is very bad.

Try reading the thread.

I did read the thread, the highlight is a YouTube clip of noonan standing up while trump talks to a person in chains, mayor of Clare I assume.

There is nothing in the mainstream to support your view that "they", whoever that may be, politicians I assume, know they misjudged this one.

Nor is there anything to support your view that this is being presented as ireland scraping and bowing to trump.

As I said already, this perception seems to just be made up by yourself.

Is this just the same arguement.

Is this just the same arguement.
    Yes, and the only problem is that "relaxed" hasn't read the thread. So we've Brennans Row citing another article from a leading Irish-American news site saying
    So imagine my annoyance when I saw that, far from being impressed by this welcome, many naysayers thought it was ‘over the top’ and ‘demeaning’ and that our very busy Minister of Finance shouldn’t have been there.
    And then we've relaxed the "many naysayers" that Eamon Delaney complains of don't exist.

And, presumably, we're to read nothing into the somewhat defensive video that Michael Noonan contributes to, which tries to pretend the investment is more significant than it is.

There's an election coming up. Politicians do stupid things. Brian Cowen opened a Tesco one time, the Government were so short of "jobs" announcements. But we should still be willing to call this stuff out.

Anyway, back to shannon, not to our ejjits of politictions.

I just noticed on Aer Lingus' service to faro, that their is a flight on saturday 31th of may, instead of friday the 30th. It is also operated by titan airways. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I just noticed on Aer Lingus' service to faro, that their is a flight on saturday 31th of may, instead of friday the 30th. It is also operated by titan airways. Anyone know why?

Because of the threatened strike action.

Because of the threatened strike action.

Oh yeah, but why not operate it normally on the 30th?

Yes, and the only problem is that "relaxed" hasn't read the thread. So we've Brennans Row citing another article from a leading Irish-American news site sayingAnd then we've relaxed the "many naysayers" that Eamon Delaney complains of don't exist.

And, presumably, we're to read nothing into the somewhat defensive video that Michael Noonan contributes to, which tries to pretend the investment is more significant than it is.

There's an election coming up. Politicians do stupid things. Brian Cowen opened a Tesco one time, the Government were so short of "jobs" announcements. But we should still be willing to call this stuff out.

So now you have 1 newspaper article, (that's just one persons opinion of course) along with a YouTube clip of Michael noonan standing up, so there is still nothing in the mainstream to support your opinion that they know they misjudged and that Ireland is seen to have gone with begging bowl to trump.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, but why not operate it normally on the 30th?

The strike is on the 30th! The flight on the saturday will carry those displaced from the Friday flight.

The strike is on the 30th! The flight on the saturday will carry those displaced from the Friday flight.

But the strike is aer lingus, not the charter company. And why didnt they just do the flight on the 30th?

But the strike is aer lingus, not the charter company. And why didnt they just do the flight on the 30th?

Most probably to simply avoid confusion- the official EI statement says all flights are cancelled on the 30th except for Regional. Additional capacity on 29th and 31st to make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Any truth to the rumour there will be lay offs by Trump in November?

I wonder will Noonan and Brennan's Row have the red carpet out then?

So now you have 1 newspaper article, (that's just one persons opinion of course) along with a YouTube clip of Michael noonan standing up, so there is still nothing in the mainstream to support your opinion that they know they misjudged and that Ireland is seen to have gone with begging bowl to trump.
    Ah, yeah, what I'm saying is so peripheral that Michael Noonan felt that he had to go on national radio to defend his actions
    http://www.herald.ie/news/the-donald-deserved-red-carpet-says-noonan-30281146.html

FINANCE Minister Michael Noonan has defended rolling out the red carpet for American billionaire Donald Trump in a welcome that included a musical trio.
    Come to Ireland. Buy a distressed asset at a knock-down price and get the local Finance Minister thrown in for free.

We've learnt nothing at all.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumour there will be lay offs by Trump in November?
    Obviously if Trump didn't take it over in February when it was in receivership, nobody would be probably working there now, let alone up to November.

Tourism in the west of Ireland is seasonal and in the winter time the industry scales back radically.

This applies to the airlines operating at Shannon Airport too.

Rumours? Apart from an Irish Mirror article based on one anonymous letter regarding lay-offs, as it seems that the storm damage to the golf course will repaired in the off season.

seachto7 wrote: »
    I wonder will Noonan and Brennan's Row have the red carpet out then?
    Are you trying to make this “Red Carpet” a personal thing with me or what?

Yankee-Clipper.jpg

Foynes/Shannon 75th Anniversary Airshow (Limerick Post)

Foynes is set to stage one of Ireland’s most spectacular air shows in July when a historic moment in the Limerick port’s remarkable contribution to global aviation will be celebrated.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny will be among the many who will flock to the West Limerick town on July 5 and 6 as it celebrates the moment 75 years ago that the Pan American Airways ‘Yankee Clipper’ flying-boat made history with the first commercial transatlantic crossing to Foynes.

The Foynes/Shannon 75th Anniversary Airshow will be a key element of a weekend tribute to the airmen who crossed the Atlantic on the historic flight.

The celebrations were officially announced at the weekend at Shannon Airport to coincide with yet another key milestone for aviation on the estuary – the 75th anniversary of the first aircraft, the Irish Air Corps Aero Anson A43, landing at Rineanna, which is now Shannon Airport.

The high point of the July festival will be a three-hour airshow on Sunday, July 6 when over 20 acts from Ireland, the UK and Europe are booked to appear and Taoiseach Enda Kenny will unveil a plaque to all who used the Foynes Air Base.

The festival will also include a dare-devil display at dusk on Saturday by the UK based Breitling Wing Walkers as well as a Sky Pyro Show and a fireworks display over the river and harbour.

The delta flight that started on the 17th was delayed by 2hrs 20mins and didn't depart until three. Did they still pre-clear or did they have to do that in New York

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

The delta flight that started on the 17th was delayed by 2hrs 20mins and didn't depart until three. Did they still pre-clear or did they have to do that in New York

All pre-cleared in Shannon

• Advertisement

Ah, yeah, what I'm saying is so peripheral that Michael Noonan felt that he had to go on national radio to defend his actionsCome to Ireland. Buy a distressed asset at a knock-down price and get the local Finance Minister thrown in for free.

We've learnt nothing at all.

Theres actually nothing in that newpaper article if you read it.

It still seems to be yourself and 1 journalist in the states that have the problem.

Nothing in the article suggests that they (the politicians I assume) know they misjudged this, and nothing in it to support your opinion that Ireland is being portrayed as going cap in hand with a begging bowl to Trump.

And you have a youtube clip of Michael Noonan standing up of course.

The red carpet and reception is a bit cringy but so are most of the naff things politicians will do.

Advertisement