Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Krakow - 2pw - Tuesday/Saturday () -Based Aircraft

It's sort of ok in summer but if it continued again in winter it could spell beginning of end as revenue would tumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Two diversions to Shannon in 20 minutes (Clare Herald)

Westjet flight 25 from London Gatwick Airport to St John’s, Newfoundland turned around west of Co Clare after the crew reported that a woman on board had taken ill.

The Boeing 737-700 jet turned around and diverted to Shannon where it landed safely at 11.53am.

While emergency crews dealt with the first diversion, they were informed of a second unscheduled landing.

Delta Airlines flight DL-170 was en route form Paris to Minneapolis in the US when it turned around over the North Atlantic.

The Airbus A330-300 jet was west of Donegal when the crew confirmed they were declaring a medical emergency and wished to divert.

Faulty fire alarm triggers Shannon Airport evacuation (RTE)

A faulty fire alarm is being blamed for triggering an evacuation of the terminal building at Shannon Airport this morning.

A spokesperson said the alarm went off at around 8.15am and the building had to be cleared for about ten minutes.

She said there was no impact on flights and passengers were soon allowed back inside.

French Air Force has been using Shannon for training frequently this month.

A310 F-RADC
    A330 F-RARF
    A310 F-RADB
    Falcon F-RAFB

At the moment British Airways A320 G-EUUM is doing the rounds at Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

French Air Force has been using Shannon for training frequently this month.

A310 F-RADC
    A330 F-RARF
    A310 F-RADB
    Falcon F-RAFB

At the moment British Airways A320 G-EUUM is doing the rounds at Shannon.

I was wondering what these planes were. Saw one of them, possibly the A330 abandoning a landing fairly low one of the days last week and was wondering what airline it was.

Didn't get a great look at it though so wasn't sure what it was.

United Airlines flight UA880 from Houston to Heathrow diverted to Shannon this morning.

According to my source, it was due to turbulence over the Atlantic.

**** Update ****

Shannon Airport emergency landing: 16 in hospital (BBC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

Airline had said 14 and 2 but hospital confirmed 10 and 2.

http://clareherald.com/2016/08/passengers-and-crew-injured-after-jet-hit-turbulence-37937/

BA have announced that BA3 (LCY-JFK) is been cancelled. BA1 remains unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wonder will they keep the A318?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ryanair S17 Irish summer schedule "launched" today and specifies 14 Shannon routes

Ryanair S17 Irish summer schedule "launched" today and specifies 14 Shannon routes

That means Berlin is cut! (Is it? Berlin is actually loaded today into the system on a horrible TUE/SAT rotation, yet that would make 15 routes?)

Somehow, they managed to say Shannon is getting an increase.
    Somehow.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/16901-ryanair-launches-irish-s17-schedule-will-carry-over-14m-c-mers-to-from-ireland-at-lower-fares-as-brexit-weakens-uk-visitor-numbers/?market=ie

Also notice Cork is again bigger than Shannon in terms of PAX by Ryanair.

Airports not preforming well is it? We may well get another US increase to stop numbers from falling, but Europe wise the airport is a shambles again.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That means Berlin is cut! (Is it? Berlin is actually loaded today into the system on a horrible TUE/SAT rotation, yet that would make 15 routes?)

Somehow, they managed to say Shannon is getting an increase.
    Somehow.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/16901-ryanair-launches-irish-s17-schedule-will-carry-over-14m-c-mers-to-from-ireland-at-lower-fares-as-brexit-weakens-uk-visitor-numbers/?market=ie

Also notice Cork is again bigger than Shannon in terms of PAX by Ryanair.

Airports not preforming well is it? We may well get another US increase to stop numbers from falling, but Europe wise the airport is a shambles again.

When they launched winter 16 they said 760,000 pa now they are just saying over 700,000 for 2017. For Cork it was 850,000 and for 2017 860,000.

They will likely add peak rotations for Malaga etc yet. I wonder will they add a peak ACE rotation making it 3x weekly for Jun/july?

As above Berlin is loaded now too

As above Berlin is loaded now too

Does that not make 15 routes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Carnacalla wrote:

Seriosuly your negativity is getting really tiring to read everywhere shannon is mentioned. Passenger numbers are up. It's not all about ryanair or european routes nor should it be. There is a healthy mix of airlines using the airport in different formats. Ryanair and aerlingus, and EI regional have a decent mix of eu routes between them. Heathrow with more capacity. Then American, delta, united, British airways, aer lingus, kuwait all transatlantic in various formats..some seasonal charters, and the likes of turkish using for cargo among others.

I'd take that over ryanair routes to be honest any day. I'd also take it over the likes of city jets efforts in cork with lcy which was a flop.

Slow and steady is fine imo for an airport many had written off a few years ago.

Shambles my eye...What exactly are you expecting.

I'm of the opinion that Ryanair should never had been allowed in with an amazing deal in the first place.

Kuwait, British Airways, Turkish Cargo, none of these are really any good for the consumer.

And can I ask, what is slow and steady for an airport that is "steadily" losing routes and frequencies? Where can we expect further growth from? The US market must be near saturation, I cannot see the UK market growing much and seemingly nobody would dare start a European route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Have passenger numbers increased or not? Kuwait etc may not be collecting passengers but they are using the airport and paying to do so. That's the bottom line. I work beside the airport and am in the airport daily. The place is busy. Busier than it has been in a while. Losing and gaining Ryanair routes is an annual event at this stage and should not be overstated in the manner you tend to here. You'll be telling us next week, they are over dependent on ryanair..
    Less of the drama please.

vkid wrote: »
    Have passenger numbers increased or not? Kuwait etc may not be collecting passengers but they are using the airport and paying to do so. That's the bottom line. I work beside the airport and am in the airport daily. The place is busy. Busier than it has been in a while. Losing and gaining Ryanair routes is an annual event at this stage and should not be overstated in the manner you tend to here. You'll be telling us next week, they are over dependent on ryanair..
    Less of the drama please.

Up to now they are increasing. From a commercial point of view the airports not doing bad, but gaining awards and transit services doesn't get services for us passengers. I don't think Shannon has ever has worse connectivity to the UK since 2014.

The airport isn't maintaining current services, this is not overstating, its reality, not fairly land.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    BA have announced that BA3 (LCY-JFK) is been cancelled. BA1 remains unchanged.

BA to drop afternoon Shannon-New York service (Clare Herald)

A Brexit sign of the times for London's financial district?

Ryanair do have a route "churn" of something like 15% across their network every year depending on how their focus evolves and because they won't deliver a single passenger more than they are contractually obliged to without a deal which favours them on price. This is why you see so many routes (not just at SNN) that last no longer than a season or two- not because they cant make any money, but because it just works out better for them elsewhere.

Kuwait et al may not be offering the consumer anything but they are good business for the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Anyone see the dig Cork airport took at SNN in a tweet about Ryanair favoured growth at the airport? Fairly immature on Cork's behalf imo. I appreciate you want to advertise growth but that's not how you do it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Airbus330 wrote: »
    Anyone see the dig Cork airport took at SNN in a tweet about Ryanair favoured growth at the airport? Fairly immature on Cork's behalf imo. I appreciate you want to advertise growth but that's not how you do it..
    I agree it looks a bit like negative campaigning, but the tweet is basically just linking a story in the Irish Examiner with that headline. I'm not sure its intended as a dig.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/ryanair-plans-125-cut-in-passenger-numbers-at-shannon-airport-in-favour-of-increased-traffic-at-cork-419034.html

Balf wrote: »
    I agree it looks a bit like negative campaigning, but the tweet is basically just linking a story in the Irish Examiner with that headline. I'm not sure its intended as a dig.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/ryanair-plans-125-cut-in-passenger-numbers-at-shannon-airport-in-favour-of-increased-traffic-at-cork-419034.html

That article seems to imply that Cork is taking traffic planned for Shannon. Not correct at all.

One thing I will say it's rather interesting the media have picked up on the slight cut at SNN. Wonder if a few journalists brows a few sites like this one. Shame none of them did their homework and put it to FR at the press conference on Thursday.

As for the twitter thing I not sure there was anything in it, the social media team in Cork are heavily focused on promoting all good news if anything it would be to shut people in Cork up criticizing them.

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for May and June are out but incomplete.

There is no May data for Gatwick so I used the Gatwick figures from the CSO instead.

June data is also not available for Gatwick and Stansted.

The overall total UK figures for May are up +9.0% as against the same month from last year.

396063.png

American Airlines AA755 flight from Paris to Philadelphia has just diverted to Shannon right now.

Medical emergency I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

American Airlines AA755 flight from Paris to Philadelphia has just diverted to Shannon right now.

Medical emergency I presume.

Seems to be an almost daily occurence at EINN nowadays.

Yep. Over half of all diversions this year have been medical.

Interesting comments at around 30 min on this recording from Michael O'Leary this week about SNN/ORK/NOC competing vs Dublin. Just confirming what we already know

https://soundcloud.com/travel-extra/michael-oleary-sept-2-2016

• Advertisement

Like BAW-3, Kuwait is arriving after CBP pre-clearance closes so defeats the purpose of stopping.

Advertisement