Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Interesting comments at around 30 min on this recording from Michael O'Leary this week about SNN/ORK/NOC competing vs Dublin. Just confirming what we already know

https://soundcloud.com/travel-extra/michael-oleary-sept-2-2016
    Listened to that portion - unusual to hear M O'L giving credit to DAA management.

Was this interview published in any of the papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Firstly Shannon will most definitely reach 2 Million in 2016 . Ryanair remain commited to Shannon. How do you think Shannon will get the new passenger growth but from increased services and new services of course everybody knows that and Yes I am friends with Michael O Leary. I have worked at SNN.

It's a shame Stevie closed his account. I liked that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ennisman wrote: »
    Like BAW-3, Kuwait is arriving after CBP pre-clearance closes so defeats the purpose of stopping.

Why did they start?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

Pre-clearance was 7am-7pm when BA first started. Later changed from 7-4.

Kuwait Airways was scheduled to be before 4 but this has never happened from what I can see.

It's a shame Stevie closed his account. I liked that guy.

He still comments on several Facebook pages, don't worry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

A few diversions to Shannon today due to fog.
    • Ryanair FR2451 Faro – Knock.
    • Ryanair FR805 Stansted – Knock.
    • Aer Lingus EI841 Amsterdam – Cork.
    • Aer Lingus Regional EI3701 Birmingham – Cork.
    • Ryanair FR9948 Faro – Cork.
    • Aer Lingus EI723 Heathrow – Cork.
    • Irving Oil KCE3 Saint John Canada – Cork.

Both British Airways flights BA001, BA003 London City – Shannon – JFK have been cancelled today, probably due to fog too.

Both British Airways flights BA001, BA003 London City – Shannon – JFK have been cancelled today, probably due to fog too.

ILS just made U/S on Corks RWY17, so expect more.

EI723 Heathrow-Cork inbound Shannon now, and the BA1 And BA3 were cancelled due to a protest at LCY this morning which closed the runway for around 7 hours.

The CSO figures for June are out.

396328.png

Newark was up in June? Surprising considering the massive JFK capacity (and then passenger) increase!

• Advertisement

No delta flight today?

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|||||
    Change|-2.5%|+9.9%|+8.8%|+2.3%|+4.8%|-6.4%|-1.3%|+6.1%|||||

Shannon among cleanest towns (Clare Champion)

The latest survey by business group Irish Business Against Litter (IBAL) shows
    Shannon to be among the cleanest towns in Ireland. Shannon is positioned sixth
    in the ranking of 40 towns and cities and deemed Cleaner than European Norms.

An Taisce reported: “Shannon has scored very highly, with eight out
    of the ten sites surveyed getting the top litter grade. The N19 Approach from
    Shannon Airport and Exit 8 on N18 coming from Limerick were exceptionally good
    routes – not just clear of litter but excellently maintained throughout. Other
    top ranking sites in Shannon included Shannon Leisure Centre and Skycourt
    Shopping Centre.”

Well done to all involved, first impressions of visitors and business people arriving to Ireland should always be a positive one.

7c1ec2c4b7371046d2a96a87b78fec0f_XL.jpg

World’s first trials of a new security screening system taking place at Shannon Airport

A new checkpoint concept which could halve the time spent in security by millions of passengers at airports around the world is being trialled at Shannon Airport.

Shannon, Europe’s first pre-clearance airport, is the first airport in the world to trial the new pre-clearance checkpoint, which was developed as part of the EU funded XP-DITE project.

The new approach being pioneered at Shannon combines the European and US Pre-clearance checkpoints, replacing the two separate checkpoints which are used at present with just one. The Shannon trial will show how a checkpoint can be designed to comply with two different sets of regulations (EU and the US TSA systems). This combined checkpoint is the first of its kind in the world and has been designed to improve customer experience. Passengers flying to the US will no longer have to queue up twice for separate security checks.

The trial will run at Shannon Airport from now for a ten week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

They seemed to be doing this a couple of weeks ago when I went through. Everyone was going through the back scatter machine. Considering it normally takes 60 seconds or less to go through security in Shannon it was causing 'big' delays. I was waiting for 3-4 minutes, it was taking 20 seconds per pax.

I hope the 'trial' is not continued to be honest!

According to the Irish Times Shannon passenger numbers were up +2.3 % in the first eight months of the year to 996,764.

Summer peak traffic really going now. Only 3 transatlantic arrivals in the morning (around 5-6 a month ago).

I notice Delta have trimmed several Wednesday flights.

American holding up well, personally I'd be most confident about expansion from AA next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

American holding up well, personally I'd be most confident about expansion from AA next year.

I wouldn't because AA are getting rid of 15 B763's next year with very little fleet growth in 2017 and I don't think SNN would meet B777 or B787 from AA's point of view nor would they have them free.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I wouldn't because AA are getting rid of 15 B763's next year with very little fleet growth in 2017 and I don't think SNN would meet B777 or B787 from AA's point of view nor would they have them free.

Could they not continue using the 757s that they currently use in Shannon, but operate them for an extra few weeks either side of when they start/finish this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Could they not continue using the 757s that they currently use in Shannon, but operate them for an extra few weeks either side of when they start/finish this year?

Of course in that context yes.

• Advertisement

Shannon Airport looks set to forge new links with Africa (ClareFM)

The Airport has confirmed that its in talks with Ethiopian Airlines regarding a new cargo sevice, but stresses they're at a very early stage.

Newly-appointed Shannon Group CEO Matthew Thomas told a Shannon Chamber event that the service would see aircraft operate a Ethiopia-Belgium-Shannon-New York service.

He was speaking at his first public engagement since taking up the role at the end of June, where he stressed the importance of developing Shannon Airport, and its wider businesses, to act as a counterbalance to the East.

The airport has corrected the transit figures for 2015.

396981.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I do like seeing 757s in Shannon.

Delta Ops down to 5pw until October?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

STRIKING a balance between costs and overheads will be the first major task facing the new chief executive of the Shannon Group over the coming weeks.

Rejecting criticism of the group’s cost base and high staffing levels, Matthew Thomas said he would be looking at all opportunities for growth and making sure that Shannon was in a position to unlock its full potential.

“Setting targets for where we are going to be in two or three years time is a bit of a mug’s game, if I am completely honest. We want to create a platform where the airlines have confidence in our market and then we will seek to grow again”, he said.

“We are in a very competitive and volatile industry and I don’t have a crystal ball but we going to do everything we can to position the airport for growth and the region to bring more tourists here and to create jobs.”

Referring to past promises of unlocking 1,000 jobs after Shannon’s separation from the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA), Mr Thomas said: “Shannon Group has a really important role in the wider region. We can have ambitious plans to enhance connectivity, to develop our land holdings, to deliver great tourist attractions, but really what we are talking about here is growing jobs and bringing more tourist to the region and that is more than just a Shannon Group task.

“There are a lot of people who have a big role in this, so whether it is the IDA, Enterprise Ireland, Tourism Ireland, Failte Ireland or the local authorities, we will be looking to have incredibly close working relationships with all the key stakeholders.

Responding to news that Ryanair would be dropping 100,000 passengers from its Shannon routes, the new CEO said that while growth in passenger numbers over the next three years was essential, “all airports have ebbs and flows, but if you have delivered 30 per cent growth in the last two years, it is entirely normal and natural that you then have a period where you are consolidating the growth.

Stating that Shannon has six connections with the US, which was unprecedented for an airport carrying two million passengers annually, Mr Thomas said; “we are able to take part in global aviation conversations that an airport of our size shouldn’t be able to take part in, but that is what makes this airport and region very unique.”

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2016/09/15/new-shannon-airport-boss-to-create-a-platform-of-confidence/

“all airports have ebbs and flows, but if you have delivered 30 per cent growth in the last two years, it is entirely normal and natural that you then have a period where you are consolidating the growth."

Very normal sadly, but this growth is only achievable by Ryanair which is the main reason why the growth slows.

At least the CEO of the airport is quite competent. That should stand to the airport.

I could see American extending the dates of operation further next year, they have previously stated they will aim for a year round operation at some point.

Any sign of anything new for next year? Or will the growth come out of current routes being strengthened?

I'd nearly be willing to put money on stobart Bristol service

I'd nearly be willing to put money on stobart Bristol service

I'd enjoy a service to Newcastle myself, but by can't see that happening.

Bristol would be a good addition, was popular when it ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Any votes for a service to ABZ? ;)

• Advertisement

There'll be a Lapland Charter this year

Advertisement