Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Huge welcome for Paul O'Connell fronted €10m rugby experience (Limerick Leader) :cool:

A planned new ‘rugby experience’ in Limerick fronted by Paul O’Connell and backed by a €10m investment by JP McManus has been broadly welcomed in all quarters.

The digital interactive visitor centre dedicated to rugby is set to open in September 2019, with a 30,000 square foot exhibition space located on the city’s main thoroughfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rumours Ethiopian will be changing their DUB stop to Shannon on the Washington service.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

Nope. Just for one day. Christmas Eve I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Because Dublin will be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

As far as I know Dublin closes for a time on Christmas Day.... Open to correction.

Flight is late night from Addis Ababa on Christmas Eve so due in Shannon around 4.00am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yeah DUB sort of closes, is open but not to scheduled flights.

Ennisman wrote: »
    Nope. Just for one day. Christmas Eve I believe.

That must have been what was meant so!

So that's both Kuwait and Ethiopian in on Christmas day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Years ago Centralwings had scheduled service on Xmas day

I believe Ethiopian are interested moving the tech stops full time but there are issues. Such a stop far more suited to SNN than Dublin if you ask me

Years ago Centralwings had scheduled service on Xmas day

I believe Ethiopian are interested moving the tech stops full time but there are issues. Such a stop far more suited to SNN than Dublin if you ask me

What sort of problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    What sort of problems?

Dublin would rather they stayed....

• Advertisement

Dublin would rather they stayed....

So not really issue then, just SNN not able to clinch a deal at the minute :D

The CSO statistics for September are out.

404022.png

First warning shot??
    Speaking at Cork Airport on plans to grow services out of the region, Mike Rutter said he didn’t think Norwegian Air International would have an impact on Dublin once it began flights next year to the US from Cork next year.

He did concede that Shannon’s position as a carrier for Aer Lingus passengers to Boston and New York could be affected by Cork transatlantic flights, along with London’s Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

He said: “We don’t see that Norwegian will have any effect upon Dublin in a transatlantic fashion. Any marginal loss of traffic — and I mean marginal — we can more than fill. We have more demand than supply at the moment sometimes. We’re quite comfortable that when they start, it won’t affect Dublin.”

He added: “It may have an effect upon Shannon, where historically Aer Lingus has been committed to serving Boston and New York. We obviously will do our best to make sure that effect is as minimal as possible.”

Aer Lingus has no plans to introduce its own transatlantic flights from Cork Airport, he said, but that may change in 2020 with the airline eyeing the A321neo aircraft — a smaller version of the A320 Airbus that is suitable for transatlantic travel.

“Beyond 2020, we are very interested in the A321neo long-range, which will potentially open up shorter sectors with lower density marketplaces. When we get to that stage, we’ll have a look again at the opportunities that may come around for us.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/cork-us-routes-may-hurt-shannon-aer-lingus-435571.html

With the flights destined for airport's outside JFK/EWR/BOS, I can't see much of an effect.

I also can't imagine how the services would affect Shannon but not Dublin.

It seems like Aer Lingus may be starting the justification of actions to come.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    With the flights destined for airport's outside JFK/EWR/BOS, I can't see much of an effect.

I also can't imagine how the services would affect Shannon but not Dublin.

It seems like Aer Lingus may be starting the justification of actions to come.

Yield more than passengers. At DUB they have the hub to offset numbers.

It could just be a warning to SNN management about dealings with DY more than anything.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Yield more than passengers. At DUB they have the hub to offset numbers.

It could just be a warning to SNN management about dealings with DY more than anything.

Hopefully, I always thought it was rather short sighted that had made announcements about having a deal with Norwegian, let alone actually having a deal done in the first place.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

First warning shot??

Cork-US routes may hurt Shannon: Aer Lingus (Cork Examiner)

It would be a shame for Aer Lingus if they can’t compete against Norwegian when they operate from Cork.

I really don’t see Norwegian flying from Shannon in the near future as they don’t have enough aircraft to do so.

Shannon’s best bet is to get more Aer Lingus Regional routes from the UK in order to feed their Boston and JFK flights.

If Aer Lingus fails here, it will definitely have a negative knock effect on the future of the US Preclearance facilities at Shannon.

If that goes, I can’t see Delta, United and American continue to operate at Shannon either.

It would also undermine the transatlantic private aircraft sector (corporate jets) too.

The only winners will be the DAA.

Jet returned to Shannon after pilot felt ‘bump’ (Clare Herald)

A US-bound jet was forced to return to Shannon Airport last night after the crew reported hearing a ‘bump’ on departure.

Flight LL-289, operated by charter airline Miami Air International, departed at 6.06pm and immediately after take-off the crew reported an issue to controllers.

The pilot confirmed that he heard a bump but there was no emergency and the return was just “precautionary”.

The flight is understood to have originated in the Middle East and arrived in Shannon via an airport in Greece. After leaving Shannon, the crew flew to Gander in Newfoundland before continuing to Portsmouth in New Hampshire which operates as a civilian and military airport.

The airline is a regular visitor to Shannon usually transporting military personnel on behalf of the US military.

It would be a shame for Aer Lingus if they can’t compete against Norwegian when they operate from Cork.

I really don’t see Norwegian flying from Shannon in the near future as they don’t have enough aircraft to do so.

They have plenty of 737's, the aircraft being used will not be 787's. If these routes do actually start I can see a based aircraft in both T.F Green and Stewart with the flights being split between ORK/SNN, that is of course, assuming this wasn't a big hypothetical by Norwegian.
    Shannon’s best bet is to get more Aer Lingus Regional routes from the UK in order to feed their Boston and JFK flights.

Agreed, but this is hard to do, you won't get Stobart to switch DUB aircraft to feed SNN at peak transfer times, it wouldn't be wise to do so, so you have to persuade them to operate a Cork aircraft on a route from SNN at a time suitable for transfers. This happens already with EDI, but the two other flights that take the early morning slot are MAN and BHX, which are the two biggest Stobart routes from Cork, so unless they move BHX to an earlier time I don't see it being possible to feed flights anymore than they currently do.
    If Aer Lingus fails here, it will definitely have a negative knock effect on the future of the US Preclearance facilities at Shannon.

Will it? If Aer Lingus drop out, I can see the services being mostly picked up by other carriers, delta may even start Boston! (As they are doing in Dublin this year) The reduction in services would be noticeable but not detrimental in my opinion. Keep in mind that in 2010 there was only 2 daily US flights in the peak summer! That compares to 6 daily in the peak summer now!

I don't think the DAA can be blamed for this one, they didn't negotiate a deal with Norwegian on behalf of Shannon.

€1 million euro facelift unveiled at Bunratty Castle and Folk Park (Galway Advertiser)

Shannon unveils crafty tourist gem (The Sunday Times)

Doonbeg resort set for ‘banner’ 2017 says Donald Trump’s son (Cork Examiner)

• Advertisement

Also interesting to note Shannon Christmas Passengers up 5%

If that goes, I can’t see Delta, United and American continue to operate at Shannon either.

It would also undermine the transatlantic private aircraft sector (corporate jets) too.

It will be difficult for them against such cheap fares. Of all the carriers EI at SNN, have the best cost base.

IMO if things get bad with DY serving ORK and SNN (x2 routes each) then EI JFK will surly be top of the list to go, aa PHL below and the rest should in theory be ok but nobody knows.

Cheap fuel is also coming to an end which will make things difficult for DY and lesser so EI.

Many US airlines are in contraction mode on T/A, UA have scrapped a few routes recently (one against DY), AA have cut one or two as well, DL have transferred some to VS (lower cost)

TBH probally be 2018 or even 2019 before anything happens.

https://www.businesspost.ie/business/shannon-faces-sharp-fall-passenger-numbers-ryanair-reduces-flights-373887

Subscription article, but you can read the first paragraph. Apparently Shannon is facing a sharp decrease in not only European traffic, but also Transatlantic traffic?

I find this rather peculiar, as there is infact an increase in Transatlantic traffic (longer Delta operating season, and it's likely passenger numbers will grow on existing routes with the good dollar-euro exchange rate)

And the drop in European is minimal, Beauvais and Memmingen are gone, but Frankfurt and Stockholm are new.

Anyone have a subscription and be willing to tell me if the rest of the article is as ridiculous as the start of it?

I would like to see The Business Post article too.

Shannon Chamber gives a potentially different picture of Shannon’s transatlantic routes next year.
    Shannon region must support Transatlantic routes (Clare Herald)

Shannon Chamber is calling on the people of the Shannon region to support existing and new flights as the Airport’s-US capacity grows.

“The fact that two airlines – Aer Lingus and Norwegian – will potentially be operating a service between Shannon and Boston in 2017 is very positive. The availability of choice on any destination from Shannon is a welcome development. The airport and the region are in expansionary mode so the arrival of new airline liveries on Shannon’s runways is most welcome; they extend Shannon’s, the West of Ireland’s and Ireland’s total reach.

I would like to see The Business Post article too.

Shannon Chamber gives a potentially different picture of Shannon’s transatlantic routes next year.

I'm just confused as to how so many figures are giving their support to such an operation! Even after a clear warning from Aer Lingus warning of the possible consequences. Competition can be good but not when it sacrifices more important services.

What the article also doesn't take into account is how the airport chosen is likely not going to be Boston, but infact T.F Green.

I agree a bit of a strange article.

Good to see SNN chamber urging support for current services.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

I don't have an online subscription but did buy the paper today.

The thrust of the article is as follows:

Overall, capacity for 2017 down 6% year on year. Airlines serving the airport will have capacity for 85,000 fewer passengers than 2016.

-Ryanair to cut 100,000 seats, mainly through a reduction of SNN-Stansted from 16 flights per week to 12. Also Beauvais and Memmingen are gone.

- Aer Lingus to grow its capacity by 2% (=10,000 seats) on short haul services. SNN-BOS will be done with a smaller 757 compared to 767 used during 2016 summer.

- UA and Delta will see capacity fall slightly, although SAS and Lufthansa services will add 12,000 seats.

They cite some "industry data" seen by the paper as sources for the above.

Thanks for that, there's a few small inaccuracies in that though.

*Shannon-Manchester with Ryanair also down from 5pw to 4pw.

*I don't see how UA and DL are down any capacity, UA has the exact same schedule as last year and DL infact seem to be using a 767 throughout October, which would represent a few thousand extra seats. (Liable to change though)

*The 767 operation has never been confirmed until January anyway, hopefully their industry sources is not just the Aer Lingus website.

I will be genuinely surprised if they don't operate it, as dropping the JFK ex DUB will just push some transit from UK away as EI won't compete enough on pricing ex DUB.

Will see if my source can confirm whats happening.

• Advertisement

Two Ryanair flights diverted to Shannon today due to holding delays in Dublin.
    • Flight FR7073 from Porto to Dublin
    • Flight FR9431 from Rome to Dublin

Advertisement