Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

relaxed wrote: »

The red carpet and reception is a bit cringy but so are most of the naff things politicians will do.

Yeah, all that stuff Bertie, Haughey and the rest of them did was all a bit "naff" wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Aer Lingus Regional, the airline operated by Stobart Air (formerly Aer Arann) saw passenger numbers increase 35 per cent last month compared to April 2013.

Passengers to and from Shannon Airport rose 39 per cent.

More UK travellers are using the service to connect to transatlantic routes.

Stobart Air commercial director Simon Fagan said the airline has seen more UK-based passengers using Aer Lingus Regional routes to make connecting transatlantic flights from Dublin and Shannon.

Mr Fagan attributed this to Aer Lingus routes to San Francisco and Toronto. (Irish Times)

Since there are no Aer Lingus flights to San Francisco or Toronto from Shannon Airport, how big an impact does Aer Lingus Regional have on Shannon's transatlantic flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Aer Lingus Regional, the airline operated by Stobart Air (formerly Aer Arann) saw passenger numbers increase 35 per cent last month compared to April 2013.

Passengers to and from Shannon Airport rose 39 per cent.

More UK travellers are using the service to connect to transatlantic routes.

Stobart Air commercial director Simon Fagan said the airline has seen more UK-based passengers using Aer Lingus Regional routes to make connecting transatlantic flights from Dublin and Shannon.

Mr Fagan attributed this to Aer Lingus routes to San Francisco and Toronto. (Irish Times)

Since there are no Aer Lingus flights to San Francisco or Toronto from Shannon Airport, how big an impact does Aer Lingus Regional have on Shannon's transatlantic flights?

That's a very strange finding.
    I find Transatlantic flight from Shannon (and Dublin) are quite cheap.
    Their is also the benefit of pre-clearance.
    Anyone I know that has gone to the us, has gone via Shannon and Dublin.

There is a SNN-Toronto flight, but not Aer Lingus (As you said) and its once a week.

The shannon passenger numbers seem to have exploded in April.
    What would you estimate for the passenger numbers for 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Theres actually nothing in that newpaper article if you read it.
    The very fact that Noonan responded is significant. If there was nothing of substnec to worry about, he'd have ignored the criticism

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The shannon passenger numbers seem to have exploded in April.
    What would you estimate for the passenger numbers for 2014.
    With the new routes from Ryanair and Aer Lingus Regional, the passenger numbers could hit the 1.7 million this year.

The falling transit passenger numbers (US troops) and the ongoing industrial disputes (Aer Lingus, SNN) could have an adverse effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

The very fact that Noonan responded is significant. If there was nothing of substnec to worry about, he'd have ignored the criticism

Like I said theres nothing in that article. Its a newspaper column, not an official statement from the minister for finance.

What critics, I don't see any of them named in it?

Where does he concede they misjudged things - quite the contrary from reading his quotes.

Theres nothing in the article to support your opinion that this is being presented as Ireland bowing to Trump cap in hand.

sh1_19052014.jpg

Shannon Free Zone on founding board of World Free Zones Organisation, launched in Dubai (Shannon Airport)

Representation on board will be major opportunity to grow trade for Shannon and Ireland.

The birthplace of duty free zones, Shannon Airport, has today scored another remarkable first as its Chairman Rose Hynes was named as one of the founding board members of the World Free Zones Organisation at its launch in Dubai.

Ms Hynes also takes a key role in the new organisation as its founding Treasurer.

The inaugural board gathered today at the Jumeirah Emirates Tower Hotel in Dubai for the launch of the influential new body by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai. Shannon is one of only two European free zones on the inaugural board, along with Barcelona.

“We are in great company as this organisation brings leading Free Zone expertise together from around the world. It will promote an exchange of ideas and business connections and will facilitate trade.

Undoubtedly Shannon and Ireland will benefit from that. Being a member of the founding board positions Shannon excellently to take advantage of what is a unique networking opportunity at a very high level.”

So is this part of the new Shannon Group's strategy where in post 32 it states “SAA’s ambition, working with its new joint venture partner, is to use the joint venture’s skills and resources to bid for travel retail opportunities in other international airports and potentially provide consultancy services to developing airports” ?

Where does he concede they misjudged things - quite the contrary from reading his quotes.
    Rinse. Repeat as required.
    <...>The birthplace of duty free zones, Shannon Airport, has today scored another remarkable first as its Chairman Rose Hynes was named as one of the founding board members of the World Free Zones Organisation at its launch in Dubai.
    In what sense is Shannon still a Free Zone? (I mean, beyond the business park using those words in its name.)

(And I'd wonder about the Barcelona one too.)

In what sense is Shannon still a Free Zone? (I mean, beyond the business park using those words in its name.)
    As you correctly say in name only and of course the legacy of experience associated with starting up a free zone, duty free airports like ARI.

Do you feel this to be a snub to ARI's owners in Dublin for not being there?

Do you feel this to be a snub to ARI's owners in Dublin for not being there?
    No, I just wonder what happens when they notice that Shannon (and I'd guess Barcelona, too, but I don't know) isn't really a Free Zone.

Now, it's grand, they'll be mixing with people who actually have money to spend. It's just that, at some stage, you'd expect an investor to suggest to this accountant that the office junior might do a little Googling.

• Advertisement

What is employment like in shannon atm?

I thought Aer Lingus Launched a Year round service to JFK?
    It seems to end in January!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It was always going to go like this, no matter what aircraft size is on a route those 12 weeks in the new year are not profitable.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It was always going to go like this, no matter what aircraft size is on a route those 12 weeks in the new year are not profitable.

I thought they launched a year round service.

The boston flights are continuing, as well as the united ones.

Link:
    http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/14-03-31/Shannon_s_transatlantic_links_strengthened_again_as_year-round_Aer_Lingus_service_to_New_York_begins.aspx

Year Round sounds much better when dealing with the media. United reduce it around that period by 1 or 2 weekly.

I never expected it to last year round.

Year Round sounds much better when dealing with the media. United reduce it around that period by 1 or 2 weekly.

I never expected it to last year round.
    How come the boston flights do?

How come the boston flights do?

No competition is the primary reasons and running both JFK and BOS together probably makes both of them un viable over that period so running one makes them money or loses very little.

No competition is the primary reasons and running both JFK and BOS together probably makes both of them un viable over that period so running one makes them money or loses very little.

Anyway, its an Improvement on last year:P

(Aer Lingus site, broken AGAIN. - You cannot book flights or even look at prices.)

4024947653.jpg

New Chinese ambassador pays visit to Shannon (Limerick Leader)

Shannon Airport chairman Rose Hynes had a “very positive” meeting with the recently appointed Chinese ambassador Xu Jianguo on what was the first official engagement outside Dublin for Beijing’s new man in Ireland.

“We had a very positive meeting during which we discussed the very close ties between the regions as well as the opportunities that exist to deepen these in the years ahead.”

Among those potential opportunities is the training of Chinese pilots at Shannon as plans to develop an international aviation centre of excellence around the airport take shape.

He heard from Ms Hynes and other members of the management team of development plans for the airport proper, the Shannon Free Zone and the International Aviation Services Centre (IASC).

Shannon’s relationship with the Chinese administration goes back to 1980 when Jiang Zemin - then a bureaucrat who would later become president of China - led a delegation to Shannon to study the Shannon Free Zone model, which has since been adopted across China with the development of their hugely successful special economic zones.

“Jiang Zemin’s visit to Shannon began a stream of visits which saw two Chinese premiers and many Chinese government delegations come to the region to further explore the regional economic development model here.

Since then, among those to have visited Shannon were President Jiang Zemin, Premier Zhu Rongji, Premier Wen Jiabao, Vice Premier Huang Ju and Vice Premier Zeng Peiyan,” commented a spokesman for the airport.

Then the Shannon Group should waste no time in setting up a pilot training school (post 139).

Can you link that to a source?

• Advertisement

Can you link that to a source?

I did. Look again.
    If.its not their, check the news on shannon airport.

I did. Look again.
    If.its not their, check the news on shannon airport.
    Your link was to a news article from 31.03.2014 where it states Shannon’s transatlantic links strengthened again as year-round Aer Lingus service to New York begins.

I checked the later articles but found nothing.

So where did you read that the New York route seems to end in January?

Your link was to a news article from 31.03.2014 where it states Shannon’s transatlantic links strengthened again as year-round Aer Lingus service to New York begins.

I checked the later articles but found nothing.

So where did you read that the New York route seems to end in January?

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/weboffersfromireland/irelandtotheusa/

It seems that they end on the 4th of January.
    They may not, it just looks that way,

(Read T&C at bottom)

Thanks, so much for official announcements! :confused:

Thanks, so much for official announcements! :confused:

What do you expect? For me to ring up the ceo of Aer Lingus and ask about the route? I was simply speculating. I said "it seems to end" for a reason.

I meant thanks Carnacalla for clarifying that, so much for official Shannon Airport announcements!

I meant thanks Carnacalla for clarifying that, so much for official Shannon Airport announcements!

Oh sorry.

Communications are not great this eveing are they?

The Department of Transport has created a draft paper titled 'National Aviation Policy for Ireland' as part of a consultation process where submissions and comments can be made up to Thursday 31st July 2014.

From Shannon Airports's point of view the Business Corporate Jet sector should have been performing better.

So far the preclearance facility has only attracted 6% of the total west-bound market.

Quintessentially Aviation Handling opened their new facility recently which is a positive boost.

It would be nice to see some statistics here and definitely a bit of market research is required to understand why the other 94% are flying by.
    3.4 US Preclearance Service

In addition to commercial aviation, the 2008 Preclearance Agreement with the US covers preclearance for general aviation/private aircraft flights (GA) and this has been available at Shannon since 2009. Given the high number of GA aircraft that already landed there for refuelling en route to the US there was an expectation that there would be a boost in GA landings in Shannon to take advantage of preclearance.

However, the up-take by business jet operators has been disappointing. The penetration rate of GA aircraft availing of preclearance for westbound transatlantic operations stands at about 6% of the market. It is important to establish whether or not there is an opportunity to develop the service to meet the needs of the GA sector.

7.1 Corporate Aviation

In general corporate aviation is not recognised as a separate sector in Europe although it is within the US. The rules and regulation associated with this sector are those of general aviation, even though many of the aircraft involved are large and complex. As a result, corporate aviation lies between but is distinct from both commercial air transport operations and general aviation. Regulatory initiatives at EU level to establish a separate corporate aviation sector should be supported.

Under new EASA Regulations relating to the operation of private aircraft, an opportunity exists for establishing an 'Executive Jet Register' in Ireland, which will generate various downstream activities at State and regional aerodromes and should be capitalised upon.

US preclearance of corporate GA flights has been available at Shannon since 2009. Because of its geographical location, Shannon is well positioned to serve corporate GA flights between Europe and North America. Shannon has also been actively engaged in developing a cluster of business aviation companies, with a focus on developing a 'Centre of Excellence for Business Aviation'. This can represent a significant business opportunity to grow the corporate GA base by using Shannon as the location for new foreign direct investments (FDI) which will be enhanced by the existing cluster of corporate aviation companies.

1400860451_4a1b.jpg

Governor Lincoln D. Chafee and RIAC President and CEO Kelly Fredericks with Rose Hynes, chairwoman of the Shannon Airport Authority.

Green air link to Ireland no flight of fancy (Providence Business News)

. . . . . . Shannon handles limited cargo now, but is adjacent to a deepwater port and wants to build a new air-cargo terminal and special economic zone to handle trade to North America and Asia, according to a presentation given to RIAC.

“Shannon is looking at cargo first but is equally interested in passenger traffic,” Fredericks said.

For Rhode Island and Irish officials, the next step in trying to attract new air service will be a detailed exchange of financial information, Fredericks said.

With Shannon specifically, the job is made easier by the two facilities sharing the same service-expansion consultant.

After the consultants crunch the numbers and talk to airlines over the next two months, Fredericks said he plans to reconvene with Shannon in a mid-July teleconference.

“I want to take all the data and plug it in and see what the business plans would look like so we can better define demand and find the appropriate carrier to meet that,” Fredericks said.

“With the airlines we are always talking.”

Rhode Island Airport's visit was posted two weeks ago and again today it appears in the Providence Business News.

The three page article reveals Shannon's ambitions to build a new air-cargo terminal.

• Advertisement

United Airlines Shannon-Chicago service takes flight (Clare Herald)

United Airlines has re-introduced its seasonal non-stop service between Shannon and its Chicago hub, O’Hare International Airport.

The summer service will operate from May 23 until Sept. 15, a longer period than last year.

The frequency of the service varies from four to five seven flights weekly.

In welcoming the return of this service to Chicago, Declan Power, Head of Aviation Development at Shannon Airport said: “The increase of 90 additional flights to and from Chicago this year is a great testament to the success of the route which was launched last year.

Four transatlantic aircraft (757-200) at Shannon on Friday with the United Chicago plane in the foreground (image Brian Buckley).

14253734495_0858ebdc61_c.jpg

Advertisement