Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

SILVAMAN wrote:
    Why? Could windshield not be repaired?

I imagine it was more to do with crew hours rather than the windshield

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ryanair have taken Berlin off sale however Manchester stays for winter. Always suspected both airports wouldn't have a Berlin service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why would SXF do better from Kerry? That always confuses me.

Another slap in the face for the Shannon management. Neil Pakey seemed more interested in short term unsustainable growth than anything and left before it started to fail.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »

Another slap in the face for the Shannon management. Neil Pakey seemed more interested in short term unsustainable growth than anything and left before it started to fail.

More inbound tourist traffic to KIR like the current inbound traffic from HHN

Germans are weak for Kerry.

marno21 wrote: »
    More inbound tourist traffic to KIR like the current inbound traffic from HHN

Germans are weak for Kerry.

Are you sure? HHN is an inbound route, but is Berlin not very much an outbound route for Shannon, that won't be replicated in Kerry.

Also worth asking why Ryanair switched the days of operation from a prime MON/FRI to a rather abysmal TUE/SAT, operation days which killed BVA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

Are you sure? HHN is an inbound route, but is Berlin not very much an outbound route for Shannon, that won't be replicated in Kerry.

Also worth asking why Ryanair switched the days of operation from a prime MON/FRI to a rather abysmal TUE/SAT, operation days which killed BVA.

Nothing to stop Berlin becoming an inbound route!!! The Kerry tourism providers will jump on this and do a good job marketing same. Why do Germans use HHN??? They want the Kerry product ... And now tge Berliners will travel for same reason

And why won't the outbound from Kerry not be as successful as from SNN??? Kerry now has the SNN interests passenger 1 hour up the road and the Cork short break market 1 hour down the road and its own Kerry traveling public 20 minutes away. It still a brilliant short break city and people willl still use it. Just cos it not in SNN doesn't mean it will fail

Masala wrote: »
    Nothing to stop Berlin becoming an inbound route!!! The Kerry tourism providers will jump on this and do a good job marketing same. Why do Germans use HHN??? They want the Kerry product ... And now tge Berliners will travel for same reason

And why won't the outbound from Kerry not be as successful as from SNN??? Kerry now has the SNN interests passenger 1 hour up the road and the Cork short break market 1 hour down the road and its own Kerry traveling public 20 minutes away. It still a brilliant short break city and people willl still use it. Just cos it not in SNN doesn't mean it will fail

No, but when you cut out half the market will it just regenerate all into an inbound route?

HHN is a completely different route to SXF, at least respect that.

Why won't outbound from KIR be as successful? There is a reason that Kerry is a regional airport you know:D

No, but when you cut out half the market will it just regenerate all into an inbound route?

HHN is a completely different route to SXF, at least respect that.

Why won't outbound from KIR be as successful? There is a reason that Kerry is a regional airport you know:D

Sorry.... You might have to humour me here ... But why would HHN be a different market to Berlin????

Sorry.... You might have to humour me here ... But why would HHN be a different market to Berlin????

Berlin = City, serving a small but highly populated urban area, highly popular route for tourists travelling from Ireland

Hahn = Located in the middle of nowhere, serving a large but for the most part low populated area (by german standards), not popular with tourists, main traffic is inbound to Kerry.

Why would NOC be a different market to DUB? Common sense.

So why is HHN successful fir Kerry???

There must be some reason Germans are using it. I guess it's cos Kerry has a market appeal that tge Germans want to experience

So ... Now that Berlin has the access to the same product... Wouldn't it make sense that the northern Germans will be attracted to the same experience???

• Advertisement

Would it? Why exactly?

Ignoring my point about Berlin being an outbound route from Ireland and Kerry not really having much to offer in that regard passenger wise, will Berlin be comparable to Hahn? Do keep in mind the vast differences between these two parts of Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The Kerry tourism providers will jump on this and do a good job marketing same.

Believe me they don't need to do any marketing to attract the German market to Kerry.

The Kerry Gold brand is a house hold name in Germany and when the Irish Dairy Board advertise their products on German TV its free tourism marketing for Kerry too.

Deal completed to export 10,000 Irish hoggets (AgriLand)

A deal, between the Wicklow Calf Company and Premier Livestock Market, has just been agreed to export 10,000 Irish hoggets to the Middle East.

Details of the consignment were finalised on Wednesday, March 1, and the first load of 2,500 hoggets is expected to depart from Shannon Airport next week.

A further three shipments, of 2,500 hoggets each, have also been agreed which will see 10,000 hoggets flown from Ireland over the next eight weeks.

The latest agreement follows on from a successful deal between the two parties in 2016, which resulted in 8,000 Irish lambs being exported in the weeks leading up to the Muslim festival of EID.

Last year, some 48,000 sheep were exported from Ireland by live-export means, which was an increase of almost 50% on the previous year’s 32,000 head.

According to Bord Bia, 75% of these exports happened during the month of August which is one month ahead of the EID festival.

Jet diverts to Shannon with ill passenger (Clare Herald)

A transatlantic jet has diverted to Shannon Airport this afternoon after an elderly passenger fell ill suddenly.

Norwegian Air Shuttle flight DY-7125 was en route from Copenhagen to Puerto Rico at the time.

The Boeing 787-800 Dreamliner jet was an hour west of Shannon Airport when the crew declared a medical emergency at around 12.30pm.

It's really hard to judge what might be going on. Could tour operator deal be in play.

The KIR schedule is rubbish Thur/Sat.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It's really hard to judge what might be going on. Could tour operator deal be in play.

Where are you finding that schedule??? What are the departure times

Where are you finding that schedule??? What are the departure times

I'm told planned schedule is Thu/Sat ex KIR 17.00, ex SXF 15.00 (subject to change)

That's true. Will be interesting to see in the long run though.

Will the aircraft used for Berlin just stay on the ground for that route now too? Utalisation of the two based aircraft is shocking during the Winter, on Tuesdays (and Wednesdays for a few weeks) one is parked up all day long and the other does very little.

I'm told planned schedule is Thu/Sat ex KIR 17.00, ex SXF 15.00 (subject to change)

Jeez... You won't get a proper 2 night break on that schedule.!! Gonna be hard to sell that schedule on the ground in Kerry!! Or even Berlin for that matter

Jeez... You won't get a proper 2 night break on that schedule.!! Gonna be hard to sell that schedule on the ground in Kerry!! Or even Berlin for that matter

It's not much worse than the TUE/SAT schedule that Shannon will have in a few weeks, killing the route off.

• Advertisement

Kuwait Airways to provide daily direct flights to New York (Kuwait News Agency)

Kuwait Airways announced scheduling a daily flight to New York on the sidelines of launching its new Boeing 777-300ER aircrafts.

The number of passengers flying to New York through Kuwait Airways has increased prominently last year, said the company in a statement on Saturday.

The company's market share of flights to North America was recorded at 20 percent, it added.

Meanwhile, it said the New York flights will not include transits in Shannon Airport in Ireland, adding that the company aims to provide direct flights only.

It was good while it lasted.

chapeau off to u Jamie boy..... Your sources are good!!

It's not much worse than the TUE/SAT schedule that Shannon will have in a few weeks, killing the route off.

The Saturday flights would suit the Germans holidaying here from April to October.

Could an airport share for a long weekend break be workable for some people?
    • Thursday flight Kerry-Berlin
    • Tuesday flight Berlin-Shannon

The Saturday flights would suit the Germans holidaying here from April to October.

Could an airport share for a long weekend break be workable for some people?
    • Thursday flight Kerry-Berlin
    • Tuesday flight Berlin-Shannon

When SXF was loaded for winter it reverted back to MON/FRI.

Lufthansa will operates SNN-FRA on Saturdays.

Lufthansa will operates SNN-FRA on Saturdays.

I don’t follow you there.

I thought we were comparing the flight schedules to Berlin from Shannon and Kerry.

Frankfurt is a 5-6 hour drive from Berlin.

I don’t follow you there.

I thought we were comparing the flight schedules to Berlin from Shannon and Kerry.

Frankfurt is a 5-6 hour drive from Berlin.

You were talking about the Saturdays being good for German tourists, Frankfurt is in Germany isn't it?

My point was unrelated to Berlin.

My point was unrelated to Berlin.
    That is what I meant. :)

That is what I meant. :)

I know that is what you meant ;)

U.S. to Europe for $100? Enter the Battle of the Atlantic Airlines (The Daily Beast)

Food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Two early morning diversions, ambulance's passed me, so I assume medical. Departed as follows:
    06:15 AB7409 Dusseldorf (DUS) Air Berlin A332 D-ALPC Departed 06:14
    07:37 OS72 Vienna (VIE) Austrian Airlines B763 OE-LAX Departed 07:37

Advertisement