Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A better deal from STN would be the reason. As for the crew not liking the area.... 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A better deal from STN would be the reason. As for the crew not liking the area.... 😂

Ah yes, Shannon and it's renowned high handling/landing fees as well as the large delays that they can face in such a busy airport.

I highly doubt Stansted underbid Shannon, or even came close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Plans for Shannon Airport a 'bombshell' say staff (Limerick Leader)

SHANNON Airport has confirmed that it is introducing a range of cost-cutting measures which will include reducing the status of the airport and restrict the number of larger airlines transiting through the airport to allow for a €44 million investment programme over the next five years.

Management at the Mid-West hub met with the three unions representing staff this week to inform them of the plans, which will include the recategorisation of the airport from a category 9 down to a category 7 on a flexible basis, which will limit the number of larger airlines transiting through Shannon.

In response to queries from the Limerick Leader, a spokesperson for Shannon Airport said it has proposed the introduction of a range of measures to reduce costs and help facilitate a €44 million investment programme over the next five years.

Among these projects is the overlay of the airport runway commencing this summer at a cost of €15 million.

"Shannon Group is committed to developing and investing in our airport and what the Group is proposing are measures to manage its business more efficiently to enable reinvestment back into the Airport. We have commenced discussions on proposals to operate to optimal manning levels to meet the needs of our airline customers," said the spokesperson.

The group outlined that the proposed measures include the realignment of Shannon Airport from a full-time Category 9 to a flexible Category 9 service.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Plans for Shannon Airport a 'bombshell' say staff (Limerick Leader)

SHANNON Airport has confirmed that it is introducing a range of cost-cutting measures which will include reducing the status of the airport and restrict the number of larger airlines transiting through the airport to allow for a €44 million investment programme over the next five years.

Management at the Mid-West hub met with the three unions representing staff this week to inform them of the plans, which will include the recategorisation of the airport from a category 9 down to a category 7 on a flexible basis, which will limit the number of larger airlines transiting through Shannon.

In response to queries from the Limerick Leader, a spokesperson for Shannon Airport said it has proposed the introduction of a range of measures to reduce costs and help facilitate a €44 million investment programme over the next five years.

Among these projects is the overlay of the airport runway commencing this summer at a cost of €15 million.

"Shannon Group is committed to developing and investing in our airport and what the Group is proposing are measures to manage its business more efficiently to enable reinvestment back into the Airport. We have commenced discussions on proposals to operate to optimal manning levels to meet the needs of our airline customers," said the spokesperson.

The group outlined that the proposed measures include the realignment of Shannon Airport from a full-time Category 9 to a flexible Category 9 service.

Will this restriction on larger airlines affect any of the current commercial airlines?
    What knock-on affect will it have on passenger numbers transiting SNN?
    Will this mean less diversions to SNN?

cnoc wrote: »
    Will this restriction on larger airlines affect any of the current commercial airlines?
    What knock-on affect will it have on passenger numbers transiting SNN?
    Will this mean less diversions to SNN?

I suppose it would depend on how flexible they can implement the switch-over from category 9 to 7 to 9 again when the demand or need arises.

I would imagine On-Call Duty could play a big role here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Legacy daa issue?

Losing Cat 8 means no:
    B753
    B763
    B788
    A310
    A332
    A350-8

Losing Cat 9 means:
    B747
    B764
    B777
    B787-9/10
    A333
    A340
    A350-9/1

Beginning of the end of a 24 hour airport?

Elsewhere it says going from 9 to 9 flexible. Not sure where the leader got 7 from. All to do with number of fire staff I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Spoke to several still working in different depts at airport and most agree with was was said about redundancies etc. although never nice to be caught up in, the package is good. Airport is geared to handle several million more than it does or will likely for some time.

I won't say I was shocked at some of the hourly rates for various low level stuff, but hey you pay people well they'll look after you. Only thing is you have to have enough footfall to allow it.

So the category thing allows them to handle almost everything but the A380 which shouldn't be an issue other than it directly effects the required level of fire service personnel. I recall two last year due to heathrow fog and one trainning.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_rescue_and_firefighting_services_in_the_United_Kingdom
    http://www.airfieldcharts.com/airportcategorisation.htm.

They've got too be in a position to allow for routes to grow to more desirable locations than currently. No flights currently available to France, Italy or Germany after Lufthansa's summer trial isn't great.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Legacy daa issue?

Losing Cat 8 means no:
    B753
    B763
    B788
    A310
    A332
    A350-8

Losing Cat 9 means:
    B747
    B764
    B777
    B787-9/10
    A333
    A340
    A350-9/1

Beginning of the end of a 24 hour airport?

This is an obvious quote from understandably angry firemen whom are the one's effected by the category thing

tv221 wrote: »
    This is an obvious quote from understandably angry firemen whom are the one's effected by the category thing

Suggesting I work as a fireman in SNN???

I certainly do not however the whole issue about pay cuts was first muted by the airport in 2014/2015

• Advertisement

Suggesting I work as a fireman in SNN???

I certainly do not however the whole issue about pay cuts was first muted by the airport in 2014/2015

Apologies. Been through 2 redundancies in 10 years myself. I should have made it clear I was referring to the Irish Independents quote that SNN would become a category 7 airport. (personally don't see)
    Been in the labour court twice and I'm well aware the amount of cases SNN staff have for their treatment by Shannon group. So I get the last thing you appreciate is a flippant comment on message board.

I see Cranfield universities G-NFLA / BAe Jetstream 31 flying lab is working around Clare today.
    https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/centres/national-flying-laboratory-centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

tv221 wrote: »
    Spoke to several still working in different depts at airport and most agree with was was said about redundancies etc. although never nice to be caught up in, the package is good. Airport is geared to handle several million more than it does or will likely for some time.

I won't say I was shocked at some of the hourly rates for various low level stuff, but hey you pay people well they'll look after you. Only thing is you have to have enough footfall to allow it.

So the category thing allows them to handle almost everything but the A380 which shouldn't be an issue other than it directly effects the required level of fire service personnel. I recall two last year due to heathrow fog and one trainning.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_rescue_and_firefighting_services_in_the_United_Kingdom
    http://www.airfieldcharts.com/airportcategorisation.htm.

They've got too be in a position to allow for routes to grow to more desirable locations than currently. No flights currently available to France, Italy or Germany after Lufthansa's summer trial isn't great.

There's a planning application gone in for a hangar capable of taking the A380 ,I presume this must be a spanner in the works for that project

There's a planning application gone in for a hangar capable of taking the A380 ,I presume this must be a spanner in the works for that project

Why would it be? The airport will be CAT 9 flexible, so as long as there's some notice of an A380 landing (usually is) it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why would it be? The airport will be CAT 9 flexible, so as long as there's some notice of an A380 landing (usually is) it shouldn't be an issue.

Its seems to be listed as a Cat 10 requirement here

http://www.airfieldcharts.com/airportcategorisation.htm

Its seems to be listed as a Cat 10 requirement here

http://www.airfieldcharts.com/airportcategorisation.htm

The airport was always only category 9, so I assumed the A380 required CAT9, I'm not 100% on the situation in that case.

A380 requires Cat 10 or Code F.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

A380 requires Cat 10 or Code F.

SO how did Airbus bring the A380 for testing to Shannon? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Deagol wrote: »

Plus the 2 BA A380 diversions into Shannon last March and another one a few years ago that I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

My understanding is that the Airbus A380 only requires Cat 9 being less than the 76m length that require Cat 10 (under ICAO guidelines). A380 is only 73m long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Ennisman wrote: »
    My understanding is that the Airbus A380 only requires Cat 9 being less than the 76m length that require Cat 10 (under ICAO guidelines). A380 is only 73m long.

Fuselage is greater than 7m diameter though, so that makes it Cat 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

I thought greater than 8m! Wider than 7m is cat 9, I think.

Runway overlay beginning at the end of the month, 5 nights a week until end of October. Various start times. I assume if based inbounds are late they will delay? Also interesting it doesn't finish til 6am- often in summer the early T/A arrivals can land soon after 5

https://www.signatureflight.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/saan-03-2017-runway-06-24-rehabilitation.pdf?sfvrsn=2

And there will only be CAT I ILS available for the entire duration. That could well be an issue coming into October.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What's the plan for the Omnis/Cambers that come in at night? There's a Miami Air International plane with a CMB callsign inbound at present, will they head for DUB or elsewhere?

Deagol wrote: »

Testing is fine.
    Plus the 2 BA A380 diversions into Shannon last March and another one a few years ago that I can think of.

Yes I'm aware it's a complicated process, fire cover, passenger config are also considered.

I'm not sure you would see an EK A380 especially one with a 615 seat config.

It's a complicated process, in theory any airport could handle an A380 depending on the emergency.

Runway overlay beginning at the end of the month, 5 nights a week until end of October. Various start times. I assume if based inbounds are late they will delay? Also interesting it doesn't finish til 6am- often in summer the early T/A arrivals can land soon after 5

https://www.signatureflight.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/saan-03-2017-runway-06-24-rehabilitation.pdf?sfvrsn=2

The closure hours are odd for example is there flights landings s late as 23.55 on a Friday. While DUB has two runways they make sure the majority of flights are down by 23.00 so they can re open for 05.00.

Even working on a Saturday night instead of a Monday night is odd.

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429||||||||||
    Change|+5.6%|+7.7%|+2.8%||||||||||

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I see an ad this morning in Irish examiner about America flights with pre clearance from SNN and it lists Norwegian in the list. I thought they weren't going to use the preclearance due to cost and sales of duty free on board?

• Advertisement

Harty accuses DAA of pillaging Shannon Airport’s customers

Clare’s Independent TD Michael Harty raised the issue of a major advertising campaign currently underway in the mid west media by Dublin Airport and Aer Lingus to entice passengers away from Shannon Airport to Dublin.

http://clareherald.com/2017/04/harty-accuses-daa-of-pillaging-shannon-airports-customers-21192/

I would have put a headline saying TD accuses locals of been fickle :P

Will the daa ever escape blame from narrow minded TD's in the West.

Advertisement