Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

TheDriver wrote:
    I see an ad this morning in Irish examiner about America flights with pre clearance from SNN and it lists Norwegian in the list. I thought they weren't going to use the preclearance due to cost and sales of duty free on board?

Don't know about the finer details but they will be using it for definite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for February are out.

414544.png

The CSO statistics for January are out.

414554.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    http://clareherald.com/2017/04/harty-accuses-daa-of-pillaging-shannon-airports-customers-21192/

I would have put a headline saying TD accuses locals of been fickle :P

Will the daa ever escape blame from narrow minded TD's in the West.

To an extent he is right. They have pages of adverts in the Clare Champion again this week. Not just one page. I am all for open competition but this is blatant targetted advertising to hit Shannon, and to throw their weight around.

But sure whatever..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

vkid wrote: »
    To an extent he is right. They have pages of adverts in the Clare Champion again this week. Not just one page. I am all for open competition but this is blatant targetted advertising to hit Shannon, and to throw their weight around.

But sure whatever..

In fairness Shannon has 20 - 30 destinations, very few of which are daily. Dublin has hundreds of destinations, most of which are daily. I'm from Limerick and I generally travel from Dublin. Not because of advertising, but because the have flights to where I want to go on the days I want to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

In fairness Shannon has 20 - 30 destinations, very few of which are daily. Dublin has hundreds of destinations, most of which are daily. I'm from Limerick and I generally travel from Dublin. Not because of advertising, but because the have flights to where I want to go on the days I want to go.

But you are going to travel from there anyway, like a lot of people. The DAA know that as much as anyone. No need for several ads throughout the one edition of a local paper..

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

One of my sons travels on business a few times a year to Amsterdam and Berlin, and has to travel to Dublin Airport for his flights. We live near SNN. AFAIK the only European capital one can get a flight from SNN is to LHR.

cnoc wrote:
    One of my sons travels on business a few times a year to Amsterdam and Berlin, and has to travel to Dublin Airport for his flights. We live near SNN. AFAIK the only European capital one can get a flight from SNN is to LHR.

You can add Frankfurt, Stockholm and Warsaw but the timings are not business oriented

You can add Frankfurt, Stockholm and Warsaw but the timings are not business oriented

Thanks but you can exclude Frankfurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And you obviously missed a trick with Berlin as it operated on a MON/FRI scheduled since 2014, only changing last month.

The fact that you discounted Frankfurt so quickly shows that you've more interested​ in begrudging the airport than offering a valid point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

cnoc wrote: »

There's daily flights to Amsterdam from Cork. No need to go to Dublin

marno21 wrote: »
    There's daily flights to Amsterdam from Cork. No need to go to Dublin

The times did not suit.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And you obviously missed a trick with Berlin as it operated on a MON/FRI scheduled since 2014, only changing last month.

The fact that you discounted Frankfurt so quickly shows that you've more interested​ in begrudging the airport than offering a valid point.

I have absolutely no grudge against SNN. I support SNN 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

vkid wrote: »

But sure whatever..

So, I'm sure the Clare Champion are only delighted with the revenue, I don't see many criticizing them for doing "business" that's allegedly harming the region!

You don't see the daa criticizing Aer Lingus or even Shannon Airport for advertising on radio stations in the South East when that catchment is DUB and more so ORK who have started their own advertising BTW.

The only thing that will harm SNN is the management who are potentially playing a dangerous games and it could blow up in their faces before long.

You don't see Dublin Coach, Bus Eireann or JJ's cribbing over each others adds trying to attract passengers away so why should airports be any different.

My point is where do you draw the line, from what I can see the daa get the "default" blame once anything goes wrong.

Today 09:42

Most regional airports are fine for UK/annual holiday trip and t/a in SNN case but outside that they are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Legacy daa issue?

Losing Cat 8 means no:
    B753
    B763
    B788
    A310
    A332
    A350-8

Losing Cat 9 means:
    B747
    B764
    B777
    B787-9/10
    A333
    A340
    A350-9/1

Beginning of the end of a 24 hour airport?

what would flexible cat 7 mean in terms of % of through put?

what would flexible cat 7 mean in terms of % of through put?

No change for pax numbers as appropriate fire cover would be scheduled for when a widebody pax flight is scheduled (i.e Delta)

Kuwait Airways maintains Shannon tech stop for New York service in Apr/May 2017 (Routes Online) :)

Kuwait Airways in recent inventory update adjusted planned technical stop for westbound Kuwait City – New York JFK service, effective from 21APR17.

From 21APR17 to 21MAY17, the airline will continue to operate via Shannon, instead of planned London Stansted.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Did Ryanair lease superjet from Brussels airlines (Cityjet) for a few days for shannon routes? You can't always trust flightradar data.

https://www.flightradar24.com/reg/ei-ekr

EI-EKR / Sukhoi Superjet 100-95B
    Date Flight From To STD ATD STA Status
    2017-04-21
    FR2849 Malaga (AGP) Shannon (SNN) 21:50 CEST - 23:55 IST Estimated dep. 21:50
    2017-04-21
    FR2848 Shannon (SNN) Malaga (AGP) 17:20 IST 17:36 21:15 CEST Estimated 21:16
    2017-04-21
    FR2304 Faro (FAO) Shannon (SNN) 13:30 WEST 14:06 16:20 IST Landed 16:24
    2017-04-21
    FR2303 Shannon (SNN) Faro (FAO) 10:20 IST 10:53 13:05 WEST Landed 13:18
    2017-04-21
    FR4776 Manchester (MAN) Shannon (SNN) 08:45 BST 09:17 09:55 IST Landed 10:07
    2017-04-21
    FR4777 Shannon (SNN) Manchester (MAN) 07:10 IST 07:25 08:20 BST Landed 08:15

Nope just very unusual flightradar errors, nothing new really :/

There has long been faulty hex data issues for EI-EKR

• Advertisement

Delta Air Lines flight DL213 from Athens to New York diverted to Shannon this afternoon.

No report available at the moment.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/state-loans-10m-to-shannon-airport-to-help-fund-runway-upgrade-1.3057092
    State loans €10m to Shannon Airport to help fund runway upgrade

Neither the airport’s operator, State-owned Shannon Group, or the ISIF, would comment on the deal.

Wonder if the loan is legal or could it fall under state aid.

If it was the daa, I'm sure some local TD's would be outraged. Why not issue a bond for the loan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/state-loans-10m-to-shannon-airport-to-help-fund-runway-upgrade-1.3057092

If it was the daa, I'm sure some local TD's would be outraged. Why not issue a bond for the loan?

From the same Irish Times article the fund has bought 35 million of DAA bonds already.
    Strange thing about loan's is that they have to be paid back.
    So its not a freebe.

From the same Irish Times article the fund has bought 35 million of DAA bonds already.
    Strange thing about loan's is that they have to be paid back.
    So its not a freebe.

Not a freebie but surrounded in secretly, which is why I question how legal it is in terms of state aid even if its has to be paid back.

Shannon Group should have adequate capital levels available to cover the small investment.

Since the state is here both lender and borrower.

The net effect on our Government debt-to-GDP ratio is neutral.

That is positive as we still have a bit to go to get it down from 75.4% to 60%.

Strange that the Irish Times journalist takes an issue with Shannon Airport but not with Dublin / Cork Airports.

Since the state is here both lender and borrower.

The net effect on our Government debt-to-GDP ratio is neutral.

That is positive as we still have a bit to go to get it down from 75.4% to 60%.

Strange that the Irish Times journalist takes an issue with Shannon Airport but not with Dublin / Cork Airports.

Fair point about DUB/ORK but does it no concern you than SNN Group are unable to fund basic airport investment. It's quiet alarming IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Fair point about DUB/ORK but does it no concern you than SNN Group are unable to fund basic airport investment. It's quiet alarming IMO.
    But they are funding it.
    From their own resources and by getting a loan from the fund set up for strategic investments.

Using your logic I would be concerned that the DAA has borrowed 35Million from the same fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

How this just keeps happening confuses me. You park planes in floodlight covered area and place a few idiots from the army in a jeep 10 meters away. And again two guys walk over and paint slogans. Christ. Hire private security Shannon. Send the clowns back too the circus. There's usually a squad car there too, they must have been gone on a coffee run.

http://clareherald.com/2017/04/two-due-in-court-following-airport-security-breach-71724/

I also see the previous chaps are due back in court today, to see if they've escaped punishment for their incursion. Apparently there's some confusion as to whether the Judge let them off or not. Could it be one of them payed another visit to the airfield

tv221 wrote: »
    How this just keeps happening confuses me. You park planes in floodlight covered area and place a few idiots from the army in a jeep 10 meters away. And again two guys walk over and paint slogans. Christ. Hire private security Shannon. Send the clowns back too the circus. There's usually a squad car there too, they must have been gone on a coffee run.

http://clareherald.com/2017/04/two-due-in-court-following-airport-security-breach-71724/

I also see the previous chaps are due back in court today, to see if they've escaped punishment for their incursion. Apparently there's some confusion as to whether the Judge let them off or not. Could it be one of them payed another visit to the airfield

What would you suggest doing to keep the loonies out? A concrete prison type wall?

It's very easy to gain through any airport perimeter fence if you really want to.

• Advertisement

Jail them. Is Horgan (ex-army guy) still drawing his army pension if he is so anti-military?

Advertisement