Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

A diversion due to a birth is a welcome change to the two recent deaths.

MDR_214_250.jpg

Celebrating the founding father of duty free (The Moodie Davitt Report)

See also e-magazine.

Norwegian's US flights to include Preclearance from Dublin and Shannon (Independent)

Passengers flying from Dublin and Shannon to the US will be able to avail of US Preclearance, Independent.ie Travel can reveal.

Whether passengers would have the option of US Preclearance, which allows them to undergo US Custom & Border Protection checks before leaving Ireland, rather than on arrival in the US, had been a source of speculation.

Today, the airline has confirmed that its new flights will include use of the US Preclearance facilities at Shannon Airport and Dublin's T2.

Strange, I thought this was already confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Strange, I thought this was already confirmed?

Nope, was never confirmed, infact, I assumed the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

Airport confirmed it last December and Norwegian had said it too.

• Advertisement

Ennisman wrote: »
    Airport confirmed it last December and Norwegian had said it too.

Strange, as the flights were only announced at the end of February.

Nowhere do I see that the airport or Norwegian confirmed it.
    Look at the airports own press release: http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/press-releases/17-02-23/shannon_welcomes_norwegian_air_international_announcement_of_services_to_new_york_and_rhode_island.aspx

I would greatly appreciate you directing me to where anyone had confirmed this.

Talks started in 2014. Flights only confirmed in February it was in the pipeline long before that. Pre-clearance was always considered as part of any plans.

Welcoming the news Shannon Airport, Shannon Group CEO Matthew Thomas said: “We are delighted with Norwegian Air International’s commitment to commencing services from Shannon to North America and look forward to finalising details with them. We are very excited that Norwegian’s low cost business model will bring greater traffic, and with our full US pre-clearance facilities and over 70 years of transatlantic aviation behind Shannon Airport, we are very confident that that Ireland is the ideal partner.”

Missed that bit, and it's quite vague. It does not explicitly state that they will be using them, just mentions the fact that they have USPC.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Missed that bit, and it's quite vague. It does not explicitly state that they will be using them, just mentions the fact that they have USPC.

From what I remember they always planned to use it and Shannon had been pitching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mentioned in this interview which I posted previously that they will be using it
    http://www.clare.fm/news/shannon-airport-shortlisted-prestigious-international-award/

• Advertisement

Shannon Airport have a planning application (17364) for the demolition of a three bedroomed habitable bungalow and seperate garage located at Ballycally, Shannon, Co Clare.

That bungalow is on a large land bank alongside Lufthansa’s maintenance hangar.

I wonder what are the airport plans for that area?

Extending / widening the road?

Long term parking for aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Presuming that's where the new hangar is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

UA have adjusted EWR from 0.8 to 0.6 in Janruary. Not looked but it could mean 4 weekly, how does it compare to last year?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    UA have adjusted EWR from 0.8 to 0.6 in Janruary. Not looked but it could mean 4 weekly, how does it compare to last year?

Yup gone to 4x weekly, no TUE/WED/THUR Compared to 6x weekly this year.

The decline of the airport continues.

Also note Boston is still at 5x weekly, but the down days change from TUE/THURS to TUE/SAT

Deagol wrote: »
    Presuming that's where the new hangar is going?
    No, the new hangar will be built next to the Eirtech hangar (top left hand corner in the photo).

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Passenger numbers on United’s Newark route for January and February are much the same as last year.

417991.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I just noticed today that the long term car parking charges have changed.

They now have high and low season differential charging.

€48.50 a week low season, changes to €55.00 a week high season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Deagol wrote: »
    I just noticed today that the long term car parking charges have changed.

They now have high and low season differential charging.

?48.50 a week low season, changes to ?55.00 a week high season.

Wouldn't €5 per day be enough for it.

Flight diverts to Shannon with engine trouble (Clare Herald)

A passenger jet has diverted to Shannon Airport after experiencing an issue with one of its engines over the Atlantic.

Delta Airlines flight DL-135 was about three hours into its journey from Amsterdam to Detroit in the US when the crew turned around south of Iceland.

It’s understood however that the flight has since been cancelled as the crew cannot complete the journey without exceeding their legal allowed flying hours.

Efforts are now underway to find accommodation for the over 250 passengers.

Hotel rates must be very expensive in Iceland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Yup gone to 4x weekly, no TUE/WED/THUR Compared to 6x weekly this year.

The decline of the airport continues.

Also note Boston is still at 5x weekly, but the down days change from TUE/THURS to TUE/SAT

Can anyone with some insight enlighten me on this? Why is Shannon Airport so quiet?

I remember years ago seeing the carpark full and an endless list of European destinations, mostly with Ryanair. Now it seems to be only used to go to Spain UK or US. Nothing to Belgium, Holland, Denmark. What is going on? :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

diddley wrote: »
    Can anyone with some insight enlighten me on this? Why is Shannon Airport so quiet?

I remember years ago seeing the carpark full and an endless list of European destinations, mostly with Ryanair. Now it seems to be only used to go to Spain UK or US. Nothing to Belgium, Holland, Denmark. What is going on? :confused::confused::confused:

Recession and emigration from the Midwest and an over reliance on Ryanair.

The airport is far busier than it has been in recent years.

Getting flag carriers like Lufthansa or SAS onboard is far more important than a Ryanair flight to Billund or Hahn....

Getting flag carriers like Lufthansa or SAS onboard is far more important than a Ryanair flight to Billund or Hahn....

Is it sustainable to have those flag carriers? A user on PPRUNE thinks that SAS will fail, but LH will stay.

JCX BXC wrote:
    Is it sustainable to have those flag carriers? A user on PPRUNE thinks that SAS will fail, but LH will stay.

99% of posts on pprune.org are rubbish from armchair wannabes imo!

So SAS staying in Shannon for 6 weeks is far more important than a Ryanair flight to Hahn for a year? Can't agree with you there

So SAS staying in Shannon for 6 weeks is far more important than a Ryanair flight to Hahn for a year? Can't agree with you there

How about a Ryanair flight to Hahn, which Shannon have to offer very low fees to get, that's currently after a year never to return again, or 8 weeks SAS to Stockholm, which may increase to 12 weeks, and then year round? That's called permanent growth, not the temporary boom bust of Ryanair growth.

That's the reality.

How about a Ryanair flight to Hahn, which Shannon have to offer very low fees to get, that's currently after a year never to return again, or 8 weeks SAS to Stockholm, which may increase to 12 weeks, and then year round? That's called permanent growth, not the temporary boom bust of Ryanair growth.

That's the reality.

That's not reality, it's you speculating about permanent growth.

Ryanair is still the largest carrier of passengers in Europe, yet the destinations from Shannon are dismal. Just doesn't add up to me

That's not reality, it's you speculating about permanent growth.

Ryanair is still the largest carrier of passengers in Europe, yet the destinations from Shannon are dismal. Just doesn't add up to me

Don't dig your head in the sand, look at almost every regional airport in Europe. Boom and bust.

Even look at the recent example, Ryanair introduced several new routes in 2014, and guess how many have been axed? Nice, Poitiers, Paris, Memmingen, and now Berlin, and as a result of this 'growth' the airport has lost its Bristol route completely, Birmingham has been reduced from 2x daily to 1x daily, Edinburgh has been reduced from 7x weekly to 6x weekly and Manchester has been reduced from 3x daily (21x weekly) all the way down to 4x weekly.

But of course, Ryanair the great, yet again ;)

Don't dig your head in the sand, look at almost every regional airport in Europe. Boom and bust.

Even look at the recent example, Ryanair introduced several new routes in 2014, and guess how many have been axed? Nice, Poitiers, Paris, Memmingen, and now Berlin, and as a result of this 'growth' the airport has lost its Bristol route completely, Birmingham has been reduced from 2x daily to 1x daily, Edinburgh has been reduced from 7x weekly to 6x weekly and Manchester has been reduced from 3x daily (21x weekly) all the way down to 4x weekly.

But of course, Ryanair the great, yet again ;)

Yep, which is why my original question was, what is going on at Shannon RE: these reductions. I'm guessing some other kind of politics is at play which neither you nor I know about

• Advertisement

Yep, which is why my original question was, what is going on at Shannon RE: these reductions. I'm guessing some other kind of politics is at play which neither you nor I know about

If there is some politics at play, then why have we seen this happen in Cork, Shannon, Knock, Derry, Belfast City and countless other airports across Europe?

Maybe it's Ryanair politics if you wish to call it that.

Advertisement