Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

United Airlines Shannon-Chicago service takes flight (Clare Herald)

United Airlines has re-introduced its seasonal non-stop service between Shannon and its Chicago hub, O’Hare International Airport.

The summer service will operate from May 23 until Sept. 15, a longer period than last year.

The frequency of the service varies from four to five flights weekly.

In welcoming the return of this service to Chicago, Declan Power, Head of Aviation Development at Shannon Airport said: “The increase of 90 additional flights to and from Chicago this year is a great testament to the success of the route which was launched last year.

Four transatlantic aircraft (757-200) at Shannon on Friday with the United Chicago plane in the foreground (image Brian Buckley).

14253734495_0858ebdc61_c.jpg

The difference in transatlantic flights per week between the summer and winter is amazing.

Winter: 19 per week (lowest point) (assuming the aerlingus to newyork stays)

Summer: 42 per week (highest point)

Not including the british airways.

Summer

United Airlines Shannon-Chicago service takes flight (Clare Herald)

United Airlines has re-introduced its seasonal non-stop service between Shannon and its Chicago hub, O’Hare International Airport.

The summer service will operate from May 23 until Sept. 15, a longer period than last year.

In welcoming the return of this service to Chicago, Declan Power, Head of Aviation Development at Shannon Airport said: “The increase of 90 additional flights to and from Chicago this year is a great testament to the success of the route which was launched last year.

Four transatlantic aircraft (757-200) at Shannon on Friday with the United Chicago plane in the foreground (image Brian Buckley).

14253734495_0858ebdc61_c.jpg

The difference in transatlantic flights per week between the summer and winter is amazing.

Winter: 19 per week (lowest point) (assuming the aerlingus to newyork stays)

Summer: 42 per week (highest point)

Not including the british airways.

Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Worth mentioning that Delta's seasonal daily JFK service, and US Airway's seasonal daily Philadelphia services have also resumed in the past week or so.

If the flights are cheaper, is it worth using phl as a substitute for newyork?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ORD is daily between mid-June and mid-August also!

• Advertisement

Yep.

I wonder will it do well.

Im looking online the past few weeks and any flight going to the us is almost full all the time (i was checking avalible seats).
    There was rarely more than 15 left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

You are right as I missed the daily flights in that article. :o

I just found the airport's pdf with the Summer 2014 Timetable.

At a glance, I find its easier to read than the website itself.

14086836999_aa7a44388b_o.png

I found this album recently on Flickr (mpar21 By Air Land and Sea)

The timetable is a nice snapshot of Shannon’s dependency on the Transatlantic routes 28 years ago.

14266856792_a9ea84e740_z.jpg

US Airways flight diverts to Shannon after navigation failure (Irish Times)

A passenger jet had to burn off thousands of litres of fuel before it could safely land at Shannon Airport yesterday after suffering a navigation systems failure that prevented it from crossing the Atlantic.

US Airways flight AWE-711 was en route from Zurich in Switzerland to Philadelphia in the US and was about 200km west of the Clare coast when the problem was reported.

At about 1.40pm the pilot contacted air traffic controllers in Shannon to inform them he had no navigation systems. It was decided the flight should be diverted and should land in Shannon.

The crew of the Boeing 767-200 turned back towards the coast where it entered a holding pattern in order to burn off excess fuel. This was to ensure it could land within safe landing weight limits.

The pilot said up to 11,000lb (5,000kg) of fuel would have to be burned before they could commence their approach to Shannon.

After spending more than an hour circling over the Atlantic, the flight landed safely at Shannon shortly before 3pm.
    The Irish Examiner published this statistic in 2011.

31 diversion incidents in 2009
    37 diversion incidents in 2010

It seems that they can be classified as follows
    • Medical emergencies
    • Aircraft emergencies
    • Aircraft alerts
    • Local standbys
    Does Shannon Airport publish this type of information on their website and what is a local standby diversion incident?

There must of been a problem with the US Airways flight from shannon today.

It seems that the 757 never took off and instead a 767 did.
    A 757 landed this morning, I even watched it land.
    The flight was also delayed alot today.

Anyone hear anything?

• Advertisement

lockman wrote: »
    April 2014 saw a large increase in passenger numbers at Shannon, when compared to April 2013. Highlights of this increase include:

Passenger numbers on European routes rose to 38,610, from 16,087 in April 2013, with UK provincial increasing by 27%, from 13,401 to 17,000. Transatlantic, meanwhile, enjoyed an 18% uplift in the month, from 20,147 to 23,852.

For the full release, see the airports news section:
    http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/14-05-12/140_increase_in_passengers_on_European_services_at_Shannon_in_April.aspx

April saw the introduction of the nine Ryanair routes to various European destinations, the new Aer Lingus route to Malaga, and the return of the Aer Lingus Regional route to Bristol, along with Aer Lingus Regional increase in services to Manchester and Birmingham.

Great to see this increase. The airport had been very quiet thus far in 2014 in terms of passenger numbers, so one assumes the numbers were static / saw a decline up to April.
    The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for April are now available.

The overall total UK figures are up +10.9% as against the same month from last year.

308783.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for April are now available.
    In fairness, they seem to explain the drop in March's figures and suggest that drop was due to the late Easter. In straight numbers, there were about 6,500 fewer UK passengers in March and about 6,500 more in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was going to Berlin for a days a while ago and used shannon. Now I know my flight was at 6 in the morning but it seems to me the airport has declined a lot over the last few years, it was totally deserted and the next arrival wasn't for hours after our flight left. The last time I used was in Shannon was flying to the USA 2 years ago and it was much much busier at the time. Is it dieing out?

MadYaker wrote: »
    I was going to Berlin for a days a while ago and used shannon. Now I know my flight was at 6 in the morning but it seems to me the airport has declined a lot over the last few years, it was totally deserted and the next arrival wasn't for hours after our flight left. The last time I used was in Shannon was flying to the USA 2 years ago and it was much much busier at the time. Is it dieing out?

It was worse two years ago. Passenger numbers will probably hit 1.7million this year. Was this april.or early may. The us flight has increased by alot in the past 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

What does anyone think of the flight attendants strike? I love Aer Lingus & will always go A/E whenever practical. Met 4 of the most pleasant, caring girls on a recent trans-Atlantic flight to JFK. They have the state behind them, therefore we all suffer when they strike. Compare their situation to Bausch-Lomb in Waterford, making contact lens or whatever. THAT is sad!

List of Aer Lingus cancelled flights (Independent)

Cancelled Flights between Shannon and United States
    11:40 EI 0135 Shannon Boston
    12:20 EI 0111 Shannon New York (JFK)
    18:20 EI 0110 New York(JFK) Shannon
    19:30 EI 0134 Boston Shannon

Cancelled Flights between Shannon and UK
    08:45 EI 0380 Shannon London (Heathrow)
    11:05 EI 0381 London (Heathrow) Shannon
    13:10 EI 0384 Shannon London (Heathrow)
    15:15 EI 0385 London (Heathrow) Shannon
    17:30 EI 0386 Shannon London (Heathrow)
    19:35 EI 0387 London (Heathrow) Shannon

Cancelled Flights between Shannon and Europe
    14:30 EI 0904 Shannon Faro
    17:50 EI 0903 Faro Shannon

Luckily the Aer Lingus Regional flights to Birmingham (2x), Bristol, Edinburgh and Manchester (3x) escaped today's strike.

First the start to St. Patrick's Day weekend was striked, then today's start of the Whit Weekend with more to follow.

These selective strikes will eventually hurt Shannon's revival. :(

List of Aer Lingus cancelled flights (Independent)

Cancelled Flights between Shannon and United States
    11:40 EI 0135 Shannon Boston
    12:20 EI 0111 Shannon New York (JFK)
    18:20 EI 0110 New York(JFK) Shannon
    19:30 EI 0134 Boston Shannon

Cancelled Flights between Shannon and UK
    08:45 EI 0380 Shannon London (Heathrow)
    11:05 EI 0381 London (Heathrow) Shannon
    13:10 EI 0384 Shannon London (Heathrow)
    15:15 EI 0385 London (Heathrow) Shannon
    17:30 EI 0386 Shannon London (Heathrow)
    19:35 EI 0387 London (Heathrow) Shannon

Cancelled Flights between Shannon and Europe
    14:30 EI 0904 Shannon Faro
    17:50 EI 0903 Faro Shannon

Luckily the Aer Lingus Regional flights to Birmingham (2x), Bristol, Edinburgh and Manchester (3x) escaped today's strike.

First the start to St. Patrick's Day weekend was striked, then today's start of the Whit Weekend with more to follow.

These selective strikes will eventually hurt Shannon's revival. :(

They hurt dublin and cork far more than shannon

Next year we are plannin a family holiday in november to Gran Canaria. I wonder will shannon have a route there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ryanair announcing winter schedule at the airport tomorrow

• Advertisement

Hmm. Hopefully routes are added. Winter at shannon is like the dail in the summer.

Hmm. Hopefully routes are added. Winter at shannon is like the dail in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Wouldn't get to excited, don't expect much but two aircraft will be based operating most of the summer routes.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Wouldn't get to excited, don't expect much but two aircraft will be based operating most of the summer routes.

I think they may keep 2 aircraft. The lanzarote flight in the summer is operated by a plane based in lanzarote. But that changes around in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Ryanair have unveiled their schedule for the winter of 2014/2015. They are retaining 5 of the 9 routes recently introduced for the summer 2014 season. They are keeping Paris-Beauvais, Berlin, Warsaw, Krakow and Fuerteventura.

For the official airport press release, see link below:
    http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/14-06-04/Major_boost_for_Shannon_Airport_as_Ryanair_adds_five_routes_to_this_year_s_winter_schedule.aspx

lockman wrote: »
    Ryanair have unveiled their schedule for the winter of 2014/2015. They are retaining 5 of the 9 routes recently introduced for the summer 2014 season. They are keeping Paris-Beauvais, Berlin, Warsaw, Krakow and Fuerteventura.

For the official airport press release, see link below:
    http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/14-06-04/Major_boost_for_Shannon_Airport_as_Ryanair_adds_five_routes_to_this_year_s_winter_schedule.aspx

But didnt we all ready know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Was thinking of Tenerife for the Christmas - can't see anything after October does that mean they won't be flying there? or is it too early to have the site updated:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Claregirl wrote: »
    Was thinking of Tenerife for the Christmas - can't see anything after October does that mean they won't be flying there? or is it too early to have the site updated:confused:

The link to the Shannon airport website release from today's announcement, says nothing about Tenerife, so looks like that's being chopped. However, fuerteventura and lanzarote are still going if that's any good to you.

The link to the Shannon airport website release from today's announcement, says nothing about Tenerife, so looks like that's being chopped. However, fuerteventura and lanzarote are still going if that's any good to you.

Yeah tenerife isnt flying in december.

You can get a connecting flight in lanzarote to tenerife. So that may be of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Are there any deals around for parking at Shannon airport or is it still as expensive as ever? Normally I have a place I park and taxi the last bit to the airport, but this time I'm only going for 4 days so it's not probably not worth it.

Advertisement