Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Jet diverts with passengers needing medical assistance (Clare Herald)

A transatlantic flight diverted to Shannon Airport this morning after two passengers, including a young girl, required medical attention.

Air Transat flight TS-722 was travelling from Toronto, Canada to London Gatwick when the crew declared a medical emergency.

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for April are out.

419414.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Good growth on London and Birmingham despite Stansted reductions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Good growth on London and Birmingham despite Stansted reductions

Mostly due to Easter though.

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776||||||||
    Change|+5.6%|+7.7%|+2.8%|-2.8%|-1.7%||||||||

• Advertisement

Air Serbia flight from Belgrade to New York diverting to Shannon.

*** Update ***

Flight diverts to Shannon with ill child (Clare Herald)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Air Serbia flight from Belgrade to New York diverting to Shannon.

Yep .... saw it coming in ...... seemed to do some circuits before final aproach and landing? ....

it departed for NYK just a few minutes ago ....

hobie14 wrote: »
    Yep .... saw it coming in ...... seemed to do some circuits before final aproach and landing? ....

it departed for NYK just a few minutes ago ....

Medical Emergency, had to hold for around 20 minutes prior to landing in order to burn off fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Will Lufthansa's new 4th daily Frankfurt - Dublin flight effect any future Shannon route development decisions. we'll find out soon enough I suspect.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/lufthansa-to-add-fourth-dublin-frankfurt-flight-1.3113785

In other unannounced yet news. I here the board have almost completed land deal air-side, that will allow them to perhaps rectify some dreadful hanger location mistakes taken previously.

The property company appear to have act together, as long as they can lease property. But renovating a reasonably okay building and then having to put one of your own divisions in after no takers, doesn't bode well.
    http://www.daft.ie/clare/commercial-property-for-rent/offices-for-rent/universal-house-shannon-free-zone-shannon-clare-295759/

http://clareherald.com/2017/05/new-appointment-at-international-aviation-services-centre-81421/

Big year for Shannon next year.

• Advertisement

tv221 wrote: »
    In other unannounced yet news. I here the board have almost completed land deal air-side, that will allow them to perhaps rectify some dreadful hanger location mistakes taken previously.

What hanger location mistakes had you in mind and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

Presumably concerning the mini-weather systems that have been created around the 24 end by the location of the Atlantic Aviation hangar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Ennisman wrote: »
    Presumably concerning the mini-weather systems that have been created around the 24 end by the location of the Atlantic Aviation hangar.

Nope. Shannon Aerospace hangar on the northern side is main culprit for wind shear.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Anyone know who the VIP was in Shannon airport today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

cnoc wrote: »
    Anyone know who the VIP was in Shannon airport today?

What makes you think there was a VIP there today?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

I saw at least 10 gardai on motor bikes, a number of squad cars and big black type cars this afternoon on their way to Shannon.

cnoc wrote: »
    I saw at least 10 gardai on motor bikes, a number of squad cars and big black type cars this afternoon on their way to Shannon.

Always seem to roll out the carpet for the Chinese and their In Ireland this week.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/who-s-hu-ireland-welcomes-another-future-chinese-leader-1.3111080

Why we do this I'm not sure, they never reciprocate, after stealing from us and all. Love this article:) https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/apr/19/story-of-cities-25-shannon-ireland-china-economic-boom

In other unannounced yet news. I hear the board have almost completed land deal air-side, that will allow them to perhaps rectify some dreadful hanger location mistakes taken previously.
    What hanger location mistakes had you in mind and why?
    Ennisman wrote: »
    Nope, Shannon Aerospace hangar on the northern side is main culprit for wind shear.

Reopening Runway 13/31 could rectify the problem for ATRs and could explain the background to the planning application (17364).

@tv221 is that what you heard?
    2.3.2. Hangar Wake Effect (Excerpt from Accident Report EI-SLM 2011)

The Hangar had been erected twenty years previously and thereafter frequent reports of turbulence and wind shear reports were made by pilots landing in the TDZ of RWY 24 in moderate to strong north westerly winds. Subsequently, a study of the likely effects of turbulence generated by the Hangar was conducted in 1996 using a scale model in a wind tunnel.

The Investigation notes that when the Hangar was originally built, RWY 13/31 was still in use and could be used by aircraft such as the ATR 72 with winds from the northwest or southeast.

This is no longer the case as the runway is now de-classified and therefore approaches are conducted in wind conditions where previously the option was available to land on a TDZ unaffected by the Hangar wake effect. This places additional demands on pilots who attempt to land at their destination airport in difficult crosswind conditions and, due to the non-availability of the crosswind runway, it is inevitable that some flights divert due to crosswinds and turbulence.

Reopening Runway 13/31 could rectify the problem for ATRs and could explain the background to the planning application (17364).

@tv221 is that what you heard?

No. The land in question is a few acres adjacent SAR buildings that may be available. Currently privately owned. Would allow some future expansion if deal is done.

As for Hangers in wrong location. I was referencing SAR buildings and the way they were stuck in the corner there. A little bit of forward thinking would have seen a new road put in adjacent to allow further access when first hanger went in. Some even felt it should have been located near West air.
    As when second hanger was added and originally used by helicopter tour company. It's clients spent ages trying to locate hanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Why we do this I'm not sure, they never reciprocate, after stealing from us and all. Love this article:) https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/apr/19/story-of-cities-25-shannon-ireland-china-economic-boom
    Good article. I found myself asking this
    Shannon is a tiny town with a population of just 9,673 in the middle of rural County Clare.

<...>

The zones have attracted millions of people from around China looking for work and in the process created hundreds of new cities.

<...>

“Obviously they took it to a much bigger scale than anything that we did,” said Thompstone.
    Why did Shannon fail to grow into something equivalent? I don't mean a city of millions; but how did it avoid becoming a prosperous centre of size within Ireland - as in, maybe 100,000 people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Balf wrote: »
    Good article. I found myself asking thisWhy did Shannon fail to grow into something equivalent? I don't mean a city of millions; but how did it avoid becoming a prosperous centre of size within Ireland - as in, maybe 100,000 people?

Limerick on one side and Galway the other both an hour's drive meant that there never was a need for it to grow significantly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Limerick on one side and Galway the other both an hour's drive meant that there never was a need for it to grow significantly.

Not even an hour. Limericks only 20 mins drive from Shannon, as is Ennis.

Balf wrote: »
    Good article. I found myself asking thisWhy did Shannon fail to grow into something equivalent? I don't mean a city of millions; but how did it avoid becoming a prosperous centre of size within Ireland - as in, maybe 100,000 people?

Piss poor planning is likely a large factor too, no real town center, a shocking amount of council owned and poor quality housing, lack of amenities etc. Shannon has a fairly poor reputation as a town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Not even an hour. Limericks only 20 mins drive from Shannon, as is Ennis.
    Fine. But then wouldn't we expect to see Limerick growing faster than the national average?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_population_analysis#Historical_populations_per_county

If you look back, Dublin and Cork both had much larger growth from 1961, adding hundreds of thousands in population.

Scanning the list of counties, Limerick has hardly done relatively better than Waterford, which had no SEZ.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Piss poor planning is likely a large factor too, no real town center, a shocking amount of council owned and poor quality housing, lack of amenities etc. Shannon has a fairly poor reputation as a town.

Yep planning the real killer. Mistake after mistake. Everything should have been thrown at the main Road initially like all urban areas. They put all the cheap housing on the main road and then hid things like Ballycasey design centre in the back of beyond. As they spent so little on such at the time, putting that into a street form, would have helped to start a street like pattern.

But ultimately the turf war between Shannon development and Clare Co Co, made things 100% worse. Both owning land and selling without any care. Enter the cowboys whom bought the existing town center etc. Oddly enough there's still enough land the other side of that monstrosity between town center roundabout and intel roundabout to save it somewhat. But will they, like fxxk they will. The existing town center crowd now NAMA will shoot down all planning apps

Clare Co Co may eventually realize that putting a percentage of the money they take out of Shannon and creating the town that should have been will lead to Ennis's growth again. Ennis doesn't seem to be able to compete with Galway or limerick for international investment, some think that if Shannon's town facilities were upgraded, it would do well again. Clare county council need to find their balls, like Limerick Co Co did recently.

At least the Local large Corps have convinced their international visitors that Bunratty's the good part of Shannon

International flight bound for New York makes emergency diversion to Shannon Airport (Independent)

The Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner left Paris at 6.30pm local time and was scheduled to reach New York (JFK) at 8.30pm local time.

A Norwegian spokesperson said: "We can confirm that Norwegian flight DY7019 from Paris to New York diverted to Shannon this evening as a precaution due to a technical issue.

Flight diverts to Shannon with engine problem (Clare Herald)

United Airlines flight UA66 from Chicago to Shannon had to return after takeoff yesterday and cancelled. Technical issues?

A Euro Atlantic aircraft collected passengers for New York from yesterdays diversion of a Norwegian Dreamliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

United Airlines flight UA66 from Chicago to Shannon had to return after takeoff yesterday and cancelled. Technical issues?

A Euro Atlantic aircraft collected passengers for New York from yesterdays diversion of a Norwegian Dreamliner.

The United flight flew into a cluster of balloons which were ingested. No alternative aircraft was available so the flight had to be cancelled.

Air Lingus EI-EDS doing a bit of training at 04:50, always nice to get any income from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The United flight flew into a cluster of balloons which were ingested. No alternative aircraft was available so the flight had to be cancelled.
    I had family on that flight who hadn't been home in years and we were all so disappointed that they had to turn around. Thankfully, they arrived this morning safe and sound.

Advertisement