Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

International Aviation Services Centre signs up drone company with up to 25 jobs to be created. Hopefully the first of many.
    https://www.businessworld.ie/news/Drone-company-announces-25-jobs-for-Shannon-568751.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

tv221 wrote: »
    International Aviation Services Centre signs up drone company with up to 25 jobs to be created. Hopefully the first of many.
    https://www.businessworld.ie/news/Drone-company-announces-25-jobs-for-Shannon-568751.html
    Can't find out much about them.

They seem to be based in Galway at present.

http://www.a-techsyn.com/index.php/contact-us

Galway Technology Centre, Mervue Business Park Mervue/Galway H91 D932, Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

7 scheduled transatlantic arrivals and 9 scheduled transatlantic departures (possibly 11 if the 2 Turkish cargo A330's arrive) tomorrow, the most I've seen in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    7 scheduled transatlantic arrivals and 9 scheduled transatlantic departures (possibly 11 if the 2 Turkish cargo A330's arrive) tomorrow, the most I've seen in a long long time.

One of the Turkish will be a Kalitta 747.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for May are out.

421448.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

According to Facebook, today's Norwegian D8182 from Snn. to Providence is cancelled due to a technical hitch.

7 diversions to Shannon this evening due to low visibility at Dublin

EI249 (EIN24K) LGW-DUB diverting to SNN
    FR7225 (RYR9JR) ACE-DUB diverting to SNN
    FR1977 (RYR49WY) RIX-DUB diverting to SNN
    FR1959 (RYR7CZ) NCE-DUB diverting to SNN
    FR1902 (RYR8ND) KRK-DUB diverting to SNN
    FR7359 (RYR73W) BRI-DUB diverting to SNN
    FR271 (RYR88FN) STN-DUB diverting to SNN

They diverted in this order.

Comhra wrote: »
    According to Facebook, today's Norwegian D8182 from Snn. to Providence is cancelled due to a technical hitch.

That's a shame. No cake today so. Technical hitch's anywhere else I wonder?:mad:

Not gonna call it a farce yet. But one could see this when Dublin magically appeared out of the blue for Norwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

JCX BXC wrote:
    7 diversions to Shannon this evening due to low visibility at Dublin

Lots of people complaining on twitter about being stuck at the airport overnight

That's a shame. No cake today so. Technical hitch's anywhere else I wonder?:mad:

Not gonna call it a farce yet. But one could see this when Dublin magically appeared out of the blue for Norwegian.

Well last night's Providence to Edinburgh flight was also cancelled, Edinburgh being the pillar of the entire operation and having the largest amount of flights.

Why are people so quick to call conspiracy theory and feel like the airport is being somehow oppressed? It's even worse with the Cork crowd.

• Advertisement

Lots of people complaining on twitter about being stuck at the airport overnight

Ouch, I don't envy them.

Well last night's Providence to Edinburgh flight was also cancelled, Edinburgh being the pillar of the entire operation and having the largest amount of flights.

Why are people so quick to call conspiracy theory and feel like the airport is being somehow oppressed? It's even worse with the Cork crowd.

No conspiracy feelings at all. I don't believe there's demand for 4 airports to visit
    Providence from the getgo. If it was a pax load factor, it wouldn't surprise me that their wasn't enough passengers wanting to go on a Monday afternoon, with several flights out over the weekend elsewhere. It'll take awhile for that much capacity to work it's self out. I''ll hold off on the conspiracies until it happens

No conspiracy feelings at all. I don't believe there's demand for 4 airports to visit
    Providence from the getgo. If it was a pax load factor, it wouldn't surprise me that their wasn't enough passengers wanting to go on a Monday afternoon, with several flights out over the weekend elsewhere. It'll take awhile for that much capacity to work it's self out. I''ll hold off on the conspiracies until it happens

I'd disagree, Shannon flights are only 2pw, and I can't see them fairing worse than the cork flights.

You do realise that the aircraft had a tech issue and was stuck in Shannon right? The flight arrived yesterday morning with PAX but was then grounded?

I'd disagree, Shannon flights are only 2pw, and I can't see them fairing worse than the cork flights.

You do realise that the aircraft had a tech issue and was stuck in Shannon right? The flight arrived yesterday morning with PAX but was then grounded?

Most planes can be fixed in Shannon in a couple of hours. Of course it may have been a huge problem that required a unique part to be flown in. But that aside their prices are very good through July /Aug vs AerLingus

Most planes can be fixed in Shannon in a couple of hours. Of course it may have been a huge problem that required a unique part to be flown in. But that aside their prices are very good through July /Aug vs AerLingus

Fares very good compared to Aer Lingus? Is that not the point of the service?

Fares very good compared to Aer Lingus? Is that not the point of the service?
    I assume your just being arsy for the sake of it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

tv221 wrote:
    No conspiracy feelings at all. I don't believe there's demand for 4 airports to visit Providence from the getgo. If it was a pax load factor, it wouldn't surprise me that their wasn't enough passengers wanting to go on a Monday afternoon, with several flights out over the weekend elsewhere. It'll take awhile for that much capacity to work it's self out. I''ll hold off on the conspiracies until it happens

Where has anyone said there wasn't enough passengers? Not what I have heard tbh

vkid wrote: »
    Where has anyone said there wasn't enough passengers? Not what I have heard tbh

"If it was a pax load factor". Just shocked that it happened on it's inaugural, and was musing reasons. Obviously I'm sorry I did that as it has proven not to be the case, and it's annoyed people. Which was not intention.

"If it was a pax load factor". Just shocked that it happened on it's inaugural, and was musing reasons. Obviously I'm sorry I did that as it has proven not to be the case, and it's annoyed people. Which was not intention.

You clearly intended to imply that, I only confirmed that it wasn't the case.

Also, generally flights are never cancelled due to intermittent poor loads, even if theres 3 passengers booked on a flight, it's either cancelled with notice or it goes ahead if there's an aircraft available.

I've had a family member on a SNN-BOS flight was around 40 people onboard!

You clearly intended to imply that, I only confirmed that it wasn't the case.

Also, generally flights are never cancelled due to intermittent poor loads, even if theres 3 passengers booked on a flight, it's either cancelled with notice or it goes ahead if there's an aircraft available.

I've had a family member on a SNN-BOS flight was around 40 people onboard!

It's just a shame it's gotten bad press now, as there was almost nothing on the day itself.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/passengers-left-for-five-hours-with-no-information-after-one-of-norwegians-first-transatlantic-flights-was-cancelled-35894009.html

• Advertisement

Sh*t happens.

It seems that the same aircraft had diverted to Iceland while on route from Bergen (Norway) to Providence (USA) on Sunday.

The aircraft must be fixed now as it left Shannon today for Edinburgh.

The CSO statistics for March are out.

First quarter is disappointing. :(

421583.png

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The CSO statistics for March are out.

First quarter is disappointing. :(

421583.png
    Did Aer Lingus reduce frequency on Boston services this year or is there another reason for such a drop?

Given how important the Boston service is for business travel for the midwest that's a worrying drop.

IIRC, there was no reduction for Boston in March, however next year it'll be reducing from 6pw to 5pw.

The continuous drops on Transatlantic routes from the airport is majorly concerning, however alot of the March drops can be attributed to Easter time falling differently.

There were some good increases this march compared to last march too,
    Malaga carried 2,930 (up from 1,479),
    Birmingham carried 2,940 (up from 2,590),
    Edinburgh carried 2,059 (up from 1,462),
    Fuerteventura carried 1,162 (up from 728).
    Wroclaw carried 3,144 (up from 2,768)

However, some concerning drops were also witnessed.
    Boston carried 5,328 (down from 7,462)
    Beauvais carried nobody (down from 2,281)
    Manchester carried 7,042 (down from 9,158, however it did better than some summer months)
    Stansted carried 16,900 (down from 20,373)
    Berlin carried 2,055 (down from 2,613 and massive decrease from previous month's due to stupid timetabling)

I have a feeling we could see passenger numbers fall this year compared to 2016. The summer BOS numbers will also be very low compared to last year due to ops only being 757.

Holiday jet diverts to Shannon with ill passenger (Clare Herald)

Primera Air flight PRW-142 was travelling from Almería in Southern Spain to Reykjavik in Iceland at the time.

There were 176 passengers and crew on board the Boeing 737-800 jet which was due to route west of Co Kerry before the crew opted to divert to Shannon.

United Airlines Aircraft N17126
    2017-07-09 UA24 Shannon (SNN) to New York (EWR) Departed
    2017-07-09 UA66 Chicago (ORD) to Shannon (SNN) Landed

United Airlines Aircraft N41135
    2017-07-09 UA67 Shannon (SNN) to Chicago (ORD) Canceled
    2017-07-09 UA25 New York (EWR) to Shannon (SNN) Landed

Why was the Chicago flight canceled today and the aircraft was used for New York instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

United Airlines Aircraft N17126
    2017-07-09 UA24 Shannon (SNN) to New York (EWR) Departed
    2017-07-09 UA66 Chicago (ORD) to Shannon (SNN) Landed

2017-07-09 UA67 Shannon (SNN) to Chicago (ORD) Canceled
    2017-07-09 UA25 New York (EWR) to Shannon (SNN) Landed

Why was the Chicago flight canceled today and the aircraft was used for New York instead?

They always do an aircraft swap, its crewed by EWR staff and most likely their maintenance base also.

You will see on the above link they do the same at DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

As Jamie says they swap at SNN as part of the normal schedule

2017-07-10 UA67 Shannon (SNN) to Chicago (ORD) Landed 11:33

United Airlines Aircraft N13110
    2017-07-10 UA2750 Shannon (SNN) to Chicago (ORD) Landed 11:14

Yesterdays cancelled flight and todays planned flight both got going today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

shannon to newark not going for 3 months in winter, NOT GOOD!!!

Advertisement