Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

November 26th to March 9th. Drop in demand they say.

Norwegian will be the only carrier on 'New York' route even though Newburgh is about 110kms north of NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

Shannon is turning into a ghost town during the winter months, management would want to take the finger out or else I could see it closing in the next 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Not even over Christmas? Wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Delta 475 ... Venice to JFK ...... on short finals ....

Reason for diversion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

According to the airport website, Aerlingus fly to JFK till the 8th of Jan. Then pick it up again in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

UA going is a pretty big blow to the airport and business, almost 20 years serving year round (?). GLA/BHX also affected in the UK (longer cuts).

DY will not of helped but I suspect they may of sealed it's faith. They have been dropping dates out of the schedule for a few months now.

Guess they need now do everything possible to ensure they manage to keep it and not have it scaled back to a May-September scheduled etc in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

According to the airport website, Aerlingus fly to JFK till the 8th of Jan. Then pick it up again in March.

Yeah? As it's been for years, your point?

Absoutle slap in the face for Shannon Airport, probably the worst TATL service to lose, no link to NYC for 2 months. Hope they think twice before inviting everyone in and causing havoc with the loyal carriers.

Very poor, management entirely to blaim imho, although others here may take a different view.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

hobie14 wrote: »
    Delta 475 ... Venice to JFK ...... on short finals ....

Reason for diversion ?

Fuel stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Big blow! :(

Did United serve this route exclusively over the years?

422203.png

• Advertisement

Yes, for one or two years they went double daily in the summer via DUB. Sadly the numbers have declined year on year. Perhaps a brand awareness exercise is needed, though winter months are tough for all markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yeah? As it's been for years, your point?

Someone had said earlier that Norwegian would be the only carrier on the route and it won't. Yes, I know Norwegian are doing a Ryanair and flying into an airport a good distance from New York.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is a phenomenal blow to Shannon Airport. SNN-EWR was also a very useful flight for connecting flights given the amount of United connections from Newark, and people going to New York.

No service from Shannon-New York with a proper airline from Jan-March will be a balls for companies in the midwest now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

marno21 wrote: »
    This is a phenomenal blow to Shannon Airport. SNN-EWR was also a very useful flight for connecting flights given the amount of United connections from Newark, and people going to New York.

No service from Shannon-New York with a proper airline from Jan-March will be a balls for companies in the midwest now.

People keep rolling this out, but DUB is only 2 hrs away. My company regularly send people to the US via DUB even though we're based in Shannon. Shannon is handy, but not necessary to US business in the Midwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No service from Shannon-New York with a proper airline
    The same was probably said about Ryanair in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This really isn't too much of a surprise given the arrival of Norweigan to the airport. There's a limited population catchment for these TA routes and it is steadily declining judging by those United numbers. New services at Cork will also surely impact. Throw in a new service at Shannon, even to a hopelessly located airport, and something else obviously needs to give. For now that's just United's winter schedule but it's likely there will need to be more cuts.

Ironically the best news for Shannon would probably be for the Norweigan routes to fail as this could then result in a return to some limited growth for the more established carriers. But there's also a risk to the whole TA operation created by bringing in Norweigan so I'm surprised that the airport has gone down this route.

This really isn't too much of a surprise given the arrival of Norweigan to the airport. There's a limited population catchment for these TA routes and it is steadily declining judging by those United numbers. New services at Cork will also surely impact. Throw in a new service at Shannon, even to a hopelessly located airport, and something else obviously needs to give. For now that's just United's winter schedule but it's likely there will need to be more cuts.

United numbers have been declining every winter so the sudden arrival of Norwegian is not really the sole cause. There also is not a New York route from Cork so not really an impact there. Probably more so is the daily service from Dublin with frequent bus links...

TheDriver wrote: »
    The same was probably said about Ryanair in the past

The same was still said about Ryanair, it's only now that ryanair are moving to hubs that this is starting to dissipate.

Very few people considered Beauvais as Paris and even fewer Memmingen as Munich.

Id agree with highlydebased, Norwegian are unlikely to blaim for this, they've only started and at that only operate twice a week. Such a drastic cut seems strange.

However, I find it strange that the airport endorsed the service so much, especially when it was likely to affect existing carriers. Maybe the airport expect UA to budge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Virgin Atlantic flight VS90 from Vieux Fort (Caribbean) to London Gatwick diverted to Shannon this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Flew right over my house this am. Does anyone know if it was a medical or tech divert?

Comhra wrote: »
    Flew right over my house this am. Does anyone know if it was a medical or tech divert?

Wasn't tech anyway as it had a quick turnaround.

Looking at this winter, it looks like the poorest winter performance since winter 2013/2014.

Berlin -2pw
    United -6pw
    Providence +2pw
    Stewart +2pw
    Birmingham +1pw

Not a truly drastic decrease, however these decreases are mounting, and the airport has little going for it at this stage. Hopefully the improved Heathrow slot will keep figures up during the winter.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Looking at this winter, it looks like the poorest winter performance since winter 2013/2014.

Berlin -2pw
    United -6pw
    Providence +2pw
    Stewart +2pw
    Birmingham +1pw

Not a truly drastic decrease, however these decreases are mounting, and the airport has little going for it at this stage. Hopefully the improved Heathrow slot will keep figures up during the winter.
    LHR should do well for transatlantic connections given the loss of EWR for both New York traffic and connections through the United hub at Newark.

Loss of United is still very disappointing although given that they have cut BHX and GLA as well my comments during the week were a bit excessive.

The Providence and Newburgh flights are still fairly useless for business though, no matter what people tell me about cost and or Ryanair's reputation in the 90s.

LHR should do well for transatlantic connections given the loss of EWR for both New York traffic and connections through the United hub at Newark.

Loss of United is still very disappointing although given that they have cut BHX and GLA as well my comments during the week were a bit excessive.

The Providence and Newburgh flights are still fairly useless for business though, no matter what people tell me about cost and or Ryanair's reputation in the 90s.

I don't think your comments were excessive, the loss of a vital year round service, which are limited, is a massive knock for the airport and any efforts to play it down really don't help the issue.

And yeah, Shannon both Norwegian routes are likely good for Leisure, however poor for business, especially as there's no premium class offered.

Hopefully fortunes pick up again soon, however it's not good that Shannon is massively stagnating at a time when the economy is growing, and we're seeing very strong growth at both Dublin and Cork airports.

I don't think your comments were excessive, the loss of a vital year round service, which are limited, is a massive knock for the airport and any efforts to play it down really don't help the issue.

And yeah, Shannon both Norwegian routes are likely good for Leisure, however poor for business, especially as there's no premium class offered.

Hopefully fortunes pick up again soon, however it's not good that Shannon is massively stagnating at a time when the economy is growing, and we're seeing very strong growth at both Dublin and Cork airports.
    It is a vital year round services, and so is SNN-BOS, which I hope will be retained year round going forward as well.

However I wasn't aware of the history of it as a Continental route and that United were cutting at other airports served by 752s as well, and beefing up their transcontinental operations using 752s. The lack of available 752s is an issues here as well.

Perhaps EI might consider it if the fleet maintenance schedule suits, although given the age of EI's 752s as well it could be an issue.

I don't think Norwegian are fully to blame here, but I don't think Norwegian are here to stay either given their financial issues.

Shannon would be in deep **** if Cork had a longer runway. Then again if the M20 was in existence it might entice more people to use Shannon. As it is there isn't much of a difference in the transit times between Cork-Shannon and Cork-Dublin from large swathes of the city. This is a major issue.

I don't even think Norwegian are partially to blaim here, as these cuts were made well before NAI's impact would be clear. It seems to be exactly as you say, the ageing of the 757.

Hopefully EI may step in, however I'm not hopeful, they don't seem to have much interest. I note comments on PPRuNe also starting that, however I don't know how trustworthy those comments are.

Shannon does need to focus on maintaining and increasing winter services, as the airport can be very busy in the summer and then an absolute ghost town in the winter.

I don't even think Norwegian are partially to blaim here, as these cuts were made well before NAI's impact would be clear. It seems to be exactly as you say, the ageing of the 757.

Hopefully EI may step in, however I'm not hopeful, they don't seem to have much interest. I note comments on PPRuNe also starting that, however I don't know how trustworthy those comments are.

Shannon does need to focus on maintaining and increasing winter services, as the airport can be very busy in the summer and then an absolute ghost town in the winter.
    I don't think so, as almost all of the United business customers (even those who may not be flying business class, some companies won't pay for business class given the shortness of the SNN-EWR flight) wouldn't have transferred to Norwegian.

I'm quite young and a lot of posts on social media I see are people in their early 20s flying to SWF/PVD only because they can get a cheap flight with Norwegian. They wouldn't have gone otherwise so weren't taking business from EI/UA/DL/AA.

EI might step in if there's demand alright, especially given its a heavy business route. Lack of aircraft is an issue though. It wouldn't be near viable with an A332/333.

Your last point is spot on. There may be enough NY customers in the summer to sustain 1 738, 2 752 and 1 763, but it's important as well to keep at least one flight running through the summer for all the multinationals in the summer.

I can't agree with your point on many united customers transferring to DY (or just D) . It's a twice a week service, with quite basic service. If your paying for it yourself by all means it's perfect, however, I don't think it's a business attractive service. Plus, a taxi is not cheap whatsoever from Stewart, something which can commonly be accepted for business trips. Some traffic may transfer, but I can see most traffic just going via Heathrow, Boston or maybe even Dublin now instead.

• Advertisement

I can't agree with your point on many united customers transferring to DY (or just D) . It's a twice a week service, with quite basic service. If your paying for it yourself by all means it's perfect, however, I don't think it's a business attractive service. Plus, a taxi is not cheap whatsoever from Stewart, something which can commonly be accepted for business trips. Some traffic may transfer, but I can see most traffic just going via Heathrow, Boston or maybe even Dublin now instead.
    Have another read, we're on the same page, that's what I said. :)

None/very little people currently flying United for business will fly Norwegian. It'll all be via Dublin mostly, and a few flying via LHR.

Advertisement