Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Ill child rushed to hospital after flight diverts to Shannon (Clare Herald)

A young baby has been rushed to hospital after a flight diverted to Shannon Airport this afternoon.

Air France flight AF-636 was travelling from Paris, France to Houston in the US at the time. The Boeing 777-300(ER), with over 320 passengers and crew on board, was about five hours into its journey when the crew made a U-turn over the Atlantic.

Shannon Airport in line for €1m flood defence payment (Sunday Indo Business)

Shannon Airport is set to receive a special €1m payment from the Exchequer to help protect it against flooding.

The payment is unusual because it is being paid from a €13.4m fund that is generally used to support privately-owned regional airports, such as Ireland West Airport at Knock, as well as to pay subsidies to airlines operating routes as public service obligations.

As a state airport, Shannon - like Dublin - does not usually receive direct financial support from the government due to strict EU state-aid rules. The flood payment to Shannon is awaiting approval as an exception under those rules.

Shannon Airport was identified as a key piece of infrastructure that could face a serious threat of flooding as climate change increases sea level heights and leads to increasingly violent winter storms. That study, by the Office of Public Works, found that Shannon required investment of as much as €40m, it was reported.

The initial €1m payment is related to serious damage sustained during Storm Darwin in February 2014 by the embankment that separates the airport campus from the adjacent River Shannon, which forced the closure of the airport temporarily.

The airport - which achieved its independence from Dublin Airport Authority in 2013 - has seen a number of new services in recent times. In July, rapidly-growing low-cost carrier Norwegian launched two new services to New York and to Providence, Rhode Island. New services have also been launched by SAS to Stockholm and by Lufthansa to Frankfurt.

Nevertheless, recent figures from industry analyst ACI showed that Shannon is lagging behind both Dublin and Cork in terms of growth. Industry analyst ACI Europe published figures in June that showed passenger growth at the airport for the year to date was just 0.8pc. That compared to 6.2pc growth at Dublin and 1.2pc at Cork, although freight growth at the airport was a whopping 14.8pc, compared to just over 4pc at Dublin Airport.

Why is this not the sole remit of the Office of Public Works as this affects the airport, the industrial zone and the town?

I’m surprised that Shannon is still showing a +0.8% in passengers for the first six months, especially after the reduction in Ryanair flights this year.

Freight up +14.8%, probably due to Turkish Airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

American will resume PHL on 4 April 2018 (ex SNN).

Quiet a boost, it may well mean a run into October 2018 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    American will resume PHL on 4 April 2018 (ex SNN).

Quiet a boost, it may well mean a run into October 2018 as well.

Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

everyday SAS comes in it seems to b coming in a different type of aircraft, hopefully its depending on the passenger number because the last flight that came in came in on a boeing 737 (738) which holds 180 seats

• Advertisement

That's promising, also noticed that Saturday was on the 737-600 instead of the CRJ, and the Tuesday before that was a -700 instead of a -600.

i think it came in the first day on a CRJ, the flight due in on saturday is supposedly on an airbus a320

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

i flew back to shannon from stockholm 3 weeks ago (flew out of Dublin before shannon flights started). i was bored and did a rough head count. looked like 115 seats with 90 taken.. does that make sense? good mix i would say too, maybe just slightly more swedish than irish

definitely think they could market this flight better, i heard about the flights through the irish times last november and couldnt find any details anywhere online until july. very little info on the both shannon and sas website before that, only advertising via heathrow. anyway, lovely city and i would recommend - similar prices to Dublin

The Facebook page has certainly been advertising it, overdoing it even! Was worried that this was due to poor passenger loads, but that assumption may have been unfounded.

In other news, it appears that JFK with Delta will be 767 for the full season, as opposed to a 757 for the start and end of season currently.

i think it came in the first day on a CRJ, the flight due in on saturday is supposedly on an airbus a320

Was Infact an A320 Neo today, first A320 NEO to operate to Shannon on a commercial flight.

Interestingly the flight time today was changed to an evening flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Was Infact an A320 Neo today, first A320 NEO to operate to Shannon on a commercial flight.

Interestingly the flight time today was changed to an evening flight.

evening flight might suit the Swedes returning home, but doesn't do much for us. if I'm heading away for the weekend the last thing i want to do is fly out the Saturday evening. anyway it looks like it is a once off. just checked the website and the outbound flight was 10.30am for 9 September. if I'm not mistaken, the first outbound flight (start of august)was 12.45pm. looks like they are doing a lot of changing here between planes and times. is that normal for airlines to do?

on a positive not, when i was checking for next weekend it was sold out outbound.

Stewart with Norwegian increasing to 3pw from March.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Stewart with Norwegian increasing to 3pw from March.
    A lot of people I've been talking to have flown with D8 to New York/Boston simply because of the cheap flights. They wouldn't have gone only for the fact D8 were much cheaper than EI (promotional fare with no addons in some cases) so from what I've seen D8 seem to be tapping into a new market as opposed to robbing passengers from EI/UA/AA/DL.

No surprise that D8 are doing well in that case with traffic in both directions (it must be appealing to US based flyers as well to get fairly cheap flights without having to negotiate the NYC airports or Logan). It doesn't seem to be having much of an effect on the incumbents either other than forcing them to drop their prices.

If DY start flights to JFK/BOS on 787s from Dublin then I could see that having an effect on EI/US carriers passenger numbers.

Gort to Tuam motorway to open ahead of schedule in September (Connacht Tribune) :)

Not sure if the whole M17 / M18 stretch is to open on September 27th but a great piece of infrastructure linking up with the airport.

The M20 to Cork is now all that is missing.

13735764934_cbb862ec35_c.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gort to Tuam motorway to open ahead of schedule in September (Connacht Tribune) :)

Not sure if the whole M17 / M18 stretch is to open on September 27th but a great piece of infrastructure linking up with the airport.

The M20 to Cork is now all that is missing.

13735764934_cbb862ec35_c.jpg
    Yes, it's the whole stretch. Tuam to Shannon Airport in 45/50 minutes is very decent going. Makes Shannon a better option for the midwest and a good alternative to Dublin now there's motorways to both.

All we need now is the M20 so the west can avoid Dublin when flying to such far flung destinations as Liverpool and Paris ;)

Bristol added to Shannon destinations on Ryanair website

Bristol added to Shannon destinations on Ryanair website

Been there for years upon years. Since they last operated it, I don't remember when it was cut but remember availing of it around 2008.

It wasn't there today when I looked and Ryanair are just about to release their 2018 summer schedule, probably the second most popular unserved route from Shannon behind Amsterdam

It wasn't there today when I looked and Ryanair are just about to release their 2018 summer schedule, probably the second most popular unserved route from Shannon behind Amsterdam

I'm afraid I think it's a non-runner, it's been there for months without a doubt (has been flagged here several times by people wondering is it becoming a route).

Would be a great route to have, and I'm surprised Aer Lingus regional haven't picked it up again yet.

I'm afraid I think it's a non-runner, it's been there for months without a doubt (has been flagged here several times by people wondering is it becoming a route).

Would be a great route to have, and I'm surprised Aer Lingus regional haven't picked it up again yet.
    Bristol is served by Cork, Knock and Dublin which should cater for demand, especially when teh M17 opens.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Bristol is served by Cork, Knock and Dublin which should cater for demand, especially when teh M17 opens.

And I still think there's a sizeable market there for the route, never had any issues operating it until ryanair came and undermined the Stobart base.

checked the website there and its not on it, i recently downloaded the app yesterday and it was on that thats why i thought

The CSO statistics for May are out.

Big drop on the New York routes, especially JFK :eek:

Boston and Philadelphia had a good increase.

426616.png

JFK drops probably partially owing to the use of a 757 and the cutting of a few midweek flights for some of may this year, restored to full 767 and daily ops for 2018 by the looks of it.

was boston and new york operated by a 767 last year by aer lingus or was it just one of them?

was boston and new york operated by a 767 last year by aer lingus or was it just one of them?

Just Boston, and that didn't come into effect until 10th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Airport now sponsoring Munster Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Airport now sponsoring Munster Rugby

Great but wish they would focus on getting more routes instead of this PR stuff. Amsterdam would be great!

Great but wish they would focus on getting more routes instead of this PR stuff. Amsterdam would be great!

PR gets people flying, and without people flying you can't have routes!

I think it's a sensible approach lately by the airport, getting involved with the community around the Mid-West, alot of the growth has slowed so this is a great way to try and entice more support for the airport.

Amsterdam would be great, but it's a no-go with Aer Lingus, and Ryanair don't have the slots (they only fly DUB-AMS), so it's really only on KLM. They'd be a great catch but they may not see the market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Munster will be playing matches in South Africa, Italy, France, England, Wales and Scotland this year, if there's even 1 plan on for each of those matches it'll increase traffic in the airport.

Advertisement