Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What they want is for medical patients not to be searched at all, which quite frankly isn't an option as it's a security threat.

It can't happen unfortunately, they have to be searched as they transit through. CBP for the flight was meant to have started last month but still nothing happening with it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

It can't happen unfortunately, they have to be searched as they transit through. CBP for the flight was meant to have started last month but still nothing happening with it yet.
    That's daft, what's the point of the US Preclearance Facility if it is not been used?

Air Canada flight AC56 from Toronto to Dubai has diverted to Shannon this morning.

Medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

That's daft, what's the point of the US Preclearance Facility if it is not been used?

It is being used for other flights, just not for Kuwaiti yet. As I said it was meant to start last month but something happened in the meantime which delayed it AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

Air Canada flight AC56 from Toronto to Dubai has diverted to Shannon this morning.

Medical?

Yes, medical. Continued at 9.36am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seasonal increases loaded into Ryanair booking engine, Malaga staying at 2pw in June/July, down from 4pw last year, loss of 2 return flights a week in June and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Turkish Cargo will commence 777F operations from this friday replacing the 747 service. Filed as Istanbul-Shannon-Chicago-Atlanta

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

It is being used for other flights, just not for Kuwaiti yet. As I said it was meant to start last month but something happened in the meantime which delayed it AFAIK.
    This article from mid 2016 that suggests it was only a temporary arrangement http://www.arabianbusiness.com/kuwait-airways-new-york-flight-include-irish-security-stopover-636644.html
    The change in the route of the flight has been made due to renovation work at Kuwait International Airport.

Even this article about the extension of the agreement says its only to February http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/16-09-26/kuwait_airways_to_extend_shannon_service_and_double_frequencies.aspx

Might be about the delay, rather then issue of being searched at all, could London do US preclearance quicker?

There was that already ill man who died on Kuwaiti Airways flight earlier this year http://clareherald.com/2017/01/man-dies-on-plane-at-shannon-airport-21617/

Shn99 wrote: »
    Turkish Cargo will commence 777F operations from this friday replacing the 747 service. Filed as Istanbul-Shannon-Chicago-Atlanta

Turkish Cargo A330 off from Shannon just now heading to JFK, haven't seen one of them in a while!

Might be about the delay, rather then issue of being searched at all, could London do US preclearance quicker?

London don't offer USPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

hopefully they are not finished loading yet because i know they havent loaded any dates atall for the cork to la rochelle or the knock to girona yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

hopefully they are not finished loading yet because i know they havent loaded any dates atall for the cork to la rochelle or the knock to girona yet

La Rochelle has been dropped with ages and a route like NOC-GRO I could see not returning. I guess a lot will depend on bookings in early Jan before final schedules are set.

London don't offer USPC.
    oh right this blogs comments say Shannon was being used while Kuwait International Airport security was improved, and said these Kuwaiti flights didn't use SNN US pre-clearance anyay http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/07/10/kuwait-airways-electronics-ban/

oh right this blogs comments say Shannon was being used Kuwait International Airport security was improved, and said these Kuwaiti flights didn't use SNN US pre-clearance anyay http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/07/10/kuwait-airways-electronics-ban/

I can't see what the advantage would be of London, you've much higher fees with a much larger potential for delays, with no benefits. They previously operated through Heathrow and took on passengers there, however were forced to stop taking on passengers due to their refusal to fly citizens of Israel (it's Kuwaiti Law so their hands were tied), so as a result of this there was no reason to operate from Heathrow, hence the move to Shannon.

A move to Stansted and Manchester were suggested before, however the service never actually moved despite fairly concrete comments that the flight would be moving.

Shannon's security operates to both FAA and EASA requirements (Operating to FAA requirements is a relatively new initiative, as a result US passengers no longer have to go through security again in USPC), which the US authorities are quite happy with, so I'd say that until the day that the US accepts the security screening in Kuwait City, we shall see Kuwait Airways flying through Shannon.

I can't see what the advantage would be of London, you've much higher fees with a much larger potential for delays, with no benefits. They previously operated through Heathrow and took on passengers there, however were forced to stop taking on passengers due to their refusal to fly citizens of Israel (it's Kuwaiti Law so their hands were tied)

maybe thats why they say they are dealing with another airline https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105515211&postcount=4410

maybe thats why they say they are dealing with another airline https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105515211&postcount=4410

Did they say that?

To be honest, the only thing I could imagine them doing is flying PAX as far as London (on their existing service) and then transferring them to another airline, however the pax would have to go through security in Heathrow anyway as they would be changing terminals to fly to the US.

If I'm honest, my opinion is that it's probably just a minister throwing their toys out of the basket and nothing will happen.

Did they say that?

To be honest, the only thing I could imagine them doing is flying PAX as far as London (on their existing service) and then transferring them to another airline, however the pax would have to go through security in Heathrow anyway as they would be changing terminals to fly to the US.

If I'm honest, my opinion is that it's probably just a minister throwing their toys out of the basket and nothing will happen.
    read
    No New Health Fees (Arab Times)

KUWAIT CITY, Dec 9: Acting Minister of Health Dr Jamal Al-Harbi has said no new health fees will be imposed on the expatriates, reports Al-Jarida daily. . . . . . .

Meanwhile, Al-Harbi said he has instructed the Overseas Medical Treatment Department to coordinate with Kuwait Airways Corporation (KAC) to start routing flights of patients from Kuwait to the United States of America through Heathrow Airport in London instead of Shannon Airport in Ireland. The officials should follow up flights directly to the places of treatment in the United States. This decision was taken due to a stop over and search of patients that occurred in Shannon.

This situation prompted the ministry to deal with another airline to transport the patients from London to the United States to avoid difficulties before they arrived in New York where they needed to change flight to their final destination. He affirmed this decision was taken after obtaining approval from the Social Affairs and Labor minister in coordination with KAC. He said Head of the Health Office in Washington Dr Ali Al-Enezi mooted the idea in his efforts to ensure the patients will travel without any stress.

Read it three times and missed that line! Amazing!

As I said above, it would likely just be an interline agreement in Heathrow transferring medical PAX onto another airline to get to the US, however they'd have to clear security anyway so I can't see what it would achieve.

Helvetic are back next summer however with a reduced schedule. 23/6 - 11/8

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440||
    Change|+5.6%|+7.7%|+2.8%|-2.8%|-1.7%|-2.8%|-4.1%|+2.8%|-3.3%|+5.8%|+6.4%||

• Advertisement

Seasonal increases loaded into Ryanair booking engine, Malaga staying at 2pw in June/July, down from 4pw last year, loss of 2 return flights a week in June and July.

No loss as ALC up to 3x wk and PMI up to 3x em, as stated on Ryanair’s press release today

No loss as ALC up to 3x wk and PMI up to 3x em, as stated on Ryanair’s press release today

Yes it is a loss, as PMI and ALC have operated at 3pw during June and July for many years now.

Yes it is a loss, as PMI and ALC have operated at 3pw during June and July for many years now.

No, Alicante operated on Tuesday and Saturday, Palma operated on Wednesday and Sunday. Even says so on the Shannon website! Ryanair wouldn’t have included it in the press release if it wasn’t increasing.

No, Alicante operated on Tuesday and Saturday, Palma operated on Wednesday and Sunday. Even says so on the Shannon website! Ryanair wouldn’t have included it in the press release if it wasn’t increasing.

Incorrect, during June and July, Alicante has THURS added and Palma has FRI added, and has been so for years.

And just for reference : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101889940&postcount=3496

Respectfully, if you don't know, don't say otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

extra month added for alc as it is going 3 per week til the end of september

extra month added for alc as it is going 3 per week til the end of september

Didn't notice that, Infact it's an extra 2 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Have to admire this. Not often you see a local paper highlight critical facts about a local institution.
    http://clarechampion.ie/shannon-caught-in-a-tailspin/

When Shannon was separated from Dublin, its business plan was to have 2.3 million passengers per annum in 2017, a figure the airport is very far away from achieving.

The decline in passenger numbers at Shannon is in marked contrast to the other airports for which figures are available (Dublin, Cork, Knock and Kerry), all of which saw increases for the first nine months.

Fully agree, I think it's great a local paper will take on such a story. These sort of public amenities not performing needs to be discussed, not pushed under the table and pretending everything is fine which is what's been occuring up to now.

Wake up call for the management hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Fair play to the Champion for highlighting this issue. While I understand it is a difficult airport to run, I really don’t think the management are doing all they can to get passengers through their doors.

• Advertisement

Was a 747 again this afternoon.

Advertisement