Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The numbers on the Chicago flight had plummeted.

Plummeted?

Numbers were up in June, down in July and flat in August. Overall not much of a change on S2016.

Plenty of reasons for the route being dropped, but a sudden decrease in numbers isn't one of them.

3 Diversions to Shannon tonight from Dublin due to Snow:

FR4845 (RYR93QV) BGY-DUB
    FR7157 (RYR8ZP) MAD-DUB
    FR9435 (RYR5DB) CIA-DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for November are updated.

439100.png

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440|1,316|19,296
    Change|+5.6%|+7.7%|+2.8%|-2.8%|-1.7%|-2.8%|-4.1%|+2.8%|-3.3%|+5.8%|+6.4%|-0.8%|+0,9%

There was 153,252 passengers recorded for the month of October, up +2.0%.
    There was 115,640 passengers recorded for the month of November, up +5.7%.

The yearly total up to November stands at 1,629,471 passengers, down -0.4%.

Source Anna Aero Databases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

There was 153,252 passengers recorded for the month of October, up +2.0%.
    There was 115,640 passengers recorded for the month of November, up +5.7%.

The yearly total up to November stands at 1,629,471 passengers, down -0.4%.

Source Anna Aero Databases.

jesus i expected it to be alot worse

Motoring giant Jaguar Land Rover to create 150 new jobs in Shannon (Limerick Leader)

One of the world’s largest car manufacturers has confirmed plans to open a software engineering centre in Shannon.

As first revealed by the Limerick Leader last September, Jaguar Land Rover, which is headquartered in the UK, says 150 people will be employed at the new facility which will play important role in realising the company’s vision for electric and automated driving vehicles.

It will be located in buildings developed by Shannon Commercial Property, a Shannon Group company, as part of a €40 million first phase development of its wider investment programme launched at the Free Zone in 2015.

Will be good for the Birmingham route too as Jaguar Land Rover's Headquarters is nearby in Coventry.

jesus i expected it to be alot worse

I'd expect December to be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd expect December to be down.

i would expect december to be that bad, id say that figure is wrong because weve lost about 5k pax a month with the loss of the extra stansteds

i would expect december to be that bad, id say that figure is wrong because weve lost about 5k pax a month with the loss of the extra stansteds

Those Stansteds were lost over a year ago, so no change in Stansted between NOV16 and NOV17.

The loss of Newark likely partially offset by Norwegians arrival, as for the loss of Berlin, I don't know what compensated for that.

Strange to say the least.

• Advertisement

Last week a Thomas Cook flight from New York JFK to Manchester diverted to Shannon.

A second aircraft arrived with a flight crew, presumably because JFK crew was out of hours.

Dublin Aerospace considering base in regional airport (Independent)

Dublin Aerospace will consider establishing additional maintenance operations at one of Ireland's regional airports, according to its founder, Conor McCarthy.

But the former Ryanair and Aer Lingus executive has said that the aircraft maintenance group is also continuing to look outside Ireland for potential expansion opportunities as it benefits from robust demand for its services.

Speaking to the Irish Independent, Mr McCarthy said that Dublin Aerospace would be unlikely to target Shannon Airport, where other aircraft maintenance firms already have operations.

The company, where Mr McCarthy is executive chairman, already has a substantial operation at Dublin Airport, but he said that council rates imposed on hangars in Ireland remained a barrier to expansion.

Mr McCarthy said the company was not under any time pressure to secure an additional facility.

However, he pointed out that eventually the DAA, which operates Dublin and Cork airports, will probably require the hangars currently occupied by Dublin Aerospace and other companies at Dublin Airport for continued expansion of terminal and apron space.

Shannon IASC spoke recently of the council rates imposed on hangars too and despite McCarthy's reluctance to choose Shannon as a possible relocation, they must jump at this opportunity and target this company to relocate here.

US vice president Mike Pence has greeted soldiers at Shannon Airport in Ireland.

Mr Pence shook hands and posed for photos with the troops in the airport terminal during a re-fuelling stop by Air Force Two.

The vice president is travelling to the Middle East with stops in Egypt, Jordan and Israel. (Independent)

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/954617435860201478

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭golfball37

Shn99 wrote: »
    It’ll be back under the daa fold rebranded within five years so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

golfball37 wrote: »

If that helps get more flights on the ground then I don't see any issue.

golfball37 wrote: »

What gives you that notion at all? Absolutely no reason why this would happen, the airports turning a profit.

What gives you that notion at all? Absolutely no reason why this would happen, the airports turning a profit.

As someone who works in the airport I think myself and everyone else would agree that we need more. There are some painfully slow days there.

As someone who works in the airport I think myself and everyone else would agree that we need more. There are some painfully slow days there.

And you think that the DAA would deliver this? I doubt it, there's a conflict of interest here.

While separation wasn't the miricle angel that was hoped for, I think it's definitely to have the decision making Shannon based than Dublin based!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

And you think that the DAA would deliver this? I doubt it, there's a conflict of interest here.

While separation wasn't the miricle angel that was hoped for, I think it's definitely to have the decision making Shannon based than Dublin based!

Not being any an expert on sane .... but Cork seem to be ticking along nicely from within the fold!!! Air France recently, WOW to Iceland, keeping Ryanair at arms length, etc. Even Cork politicans have gone quiet on going independent!!

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    Not being any an expert on sane .... but Cork seem to be ticking along nicely from within the fold!!! Air France recently, WOW to Iceland, keeping Ryanair at arms length, etc. Even Cork politicans have gone quiet on going independent!!

Cork has gotten a few pulls routes granted, however Wow air to Iceland has failed, CSA to Prague never started and Cityjet to London city was a massive failure.

However I think Shannon has punched above it's weight in getting routes like LH to Frankfurt and SAS to Stockholm (which is not operating this year). Air Canada to Toronto was a great gain this year. However there has been large downfalls, which I'd largely attribute to Shannon's seeming love for LCC's. This LCC love has been tried and tested and failed all times, yet they still went ahead and did it!

In regards to TATL, volatile market. United's reductions likely could not have been stopped.

Definitely room for improvement with management, but I'd rather a group of people who are trying but not doing well, rather than a group who won't try at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I suspect when the rest of the terminal upgrade is finished it might make some difference. Pitching to airlines when part of the facilities are from the 50s can't help

Cork has gotten a few pulls routes granted, however Wow air to Iceland has failed, CSA to Prague never started and Cityjet to London city was a massive failure.

However I think Shannon has punched above it's weight in getting routes like LH to Frankfurt and SAS to Stockholm (which is not operating this year). Air Canada to Toronto was a great gain this year. However there has been large downfalls, which I'd largely attribute to Shannon's seeming love for LCC's. This LCC love has been tried and tested and failed all times, yet they still went ahead and did it!

In regards to TATL, volatile market. United's reductions likely could not have been stopped.

Definitely room for improvement with management, but I'd rather a group of people who are trying but not doing well, rather than a group who won't try at all.

That Air Canada to Toronto is still not 100% confirmed from Shannon,last I heard was Dublin are interested in taking it too.

That Air Canada to Toronto is still not 100% confirmed from Shannon,last I heard was Dublin are interested in taking it too.

Well it's bookable and that's about as confirmed as you get. Extremely rare for a route to be announced and put on sale but then canned.

Dublin have plenty of Air Canada flights to Toronto. As well as Air Transat and Aer Lingus, the market isn't far off saturation.

I'd highly doubt the substance of what you've heard, it doesn't make sense.

Well it's bookable and that's about as confirmed as you get. Extremely rare for a route to be announced and put on sale but then canned.

Dublin have plenty of Air Canada flights to Toronto. As well as Air Transat and Aer Lingus, the market isn't far off saturation.

I'd highly doubt the substance of what you've heard, it doesn't make sense.

Well it couldn't have come from a more reliable source really. As someone with family in Canada,I'm not rushing to book it just yet.

Well it couldn't have come from a more reliable source really. As someone with family in Canada,I'm not rushing to book it just yet.

It just doesn't make sense, why would Dublin look to get a route it already has? Especially on a 737? 767's currently operate the route for AC. Alternatively are they looking for extra frequencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Lets call a spade a spade here, if AC don't operate at SNN it will be totally down to commercial reasons not DUB wanting the narow body service as well as AC are not going to get some big change drop to move a few weekly Boeing flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Dublin would love to take all capacity from Shannon etc, that's hardly anything new!!

It just doesn't make sense, why would Dublin look to get a route it already has? Especially on a 737? 767's currently operate the route for AC. Alternatively are they looking for extra frequencies?

I'm only passing on what I was told. I'll believe it's official when im standing on board one of the aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

On plane finder the fr 1344 to Lanzarote appears to be using a Sukhoi SSJ-100. Never heard of it. The flight was delayed about 5 hours. Anybody know what happened?

Advertisement