Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Drive-in cinema at the airport in two weeks time.

https://www.retrodrivein.ie/shannon

Can’t decide if it’s a clever way to make
    money from a car park that’s not used (assuming it’s one of the closed Long Terms) or they are just throwing the kitchen sink in attempts to make money.

Does anyone know where the screen is going?

As far as I know, the Drive-in Movie will be at the old unused Park & Ride Car Park just on the left before you get to the main part of the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Can’t decide if it’s a clever way to make
    money from a car park that’s not used (assuming it’s one of the closed Long Terms) or they are just throwing the kitchen sink in attempts to make money.

I can't see how one would derive any negetives from this. It allows them to gain publicity, and gets them a small nominal amount of money for the use of otherwise unused infastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I think Shannon are putting a big effort into being seen as part of the regional/local community. Not sure if it’s a genuine effort or just part of branding strategy but it looks like it’s kind of working. Hopefully the end result will be more people from the region thinking of Shannon first when flying. At the very least, being seen as “part of the community” might win/retain some political favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Drive-in movies, midnight 5ks and sponsorship schemes are great and all but the life blood of any airport is flights and until such time as shannon serves the people of the Midwest and not the other way around, I can’t see the numbers increasing dramatically.

If people want to go to Paris or Rome, for example they’ll go to Dublin Airport. They won’t pick Kaunus or Reus just because they can fly from Shannon.

I note JFK is at 6x weekly for the winter, Boston was only 5x so that's an extra weekly flight at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I note JFK is at 6x weekly for the winter, Boston was only 5x so that's an extra weekly flight at least.

was 4x weekly from Jan-Feb

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Aer Lingus have said that given the additional connection opportunities especially with JetBlue at JFK and also due to the lack of competition and overall New York demand they went with additional capacity on JFK in Winter 2018/19 compared with last year's Boston capacity.

Shn99 wrote: »
    was 4x weekly from Jan-Feb

Not this year it wasn't, however was planned for JAN-MAR for 2019 before they switched to JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

“Shannon Airport offers to bring grass cutting forward ..”

https://www.facebook.com/Shannon.Airport.Official/posts/1672687242820759

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The CSO statistics for December are out.

Norwegian brought, in end effect only a 0.23% gain.

447940.png

• Advertisement

Impressive considering a complete loss of the United service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440|1,316|19,296
    2018|1,301|1,200|1,368||||||||||
    Change|+0.8%|-1.2%|-4.3%||||||||||

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Norwegian will go daily to SWF from 28th October.

SNNUS wrote: »
    Norwegian will go daily to SWF from 28th October.

Confirmed?

Can hardly see EI sticking to JFK in that case!

Confirmed?

Can hardly see EI sticking to JFK in that case!

Yes, flights on sale now. Hope Norwegian can make it work.

Yes, flights on sale now. Hope Norwegian can make it work.

They won't, it's a clear attempt to attack Aer Lingus in my eyes. No coincidence at all!

Hopefully Aer Lingus go back to Boston instead of pulling all flights for that period, as Norwegian won't stick around when they go and we'll be left with no TATL flights between January and March!

They won't, it's a clear attempt to attack Aer Lingus in my eyes. No coincidence at all!

Hopefully Aer Lingus go back to Boston instead of pulling all flights for that period, as Norwegian won't stick around when they go and we'll be left with no TATL flights between January and March!

I think there is room for both as Norwegian is a lower capacity replacement for UA.

Transatlantic traffic in the winter is always going to be an issue. 2 carriers is the max

I think there is room for both as Norwegian is a lower capacity replacement for UA.

Transatlantic traffic in the winter is always going to be an issue. 2 carriers is the max

Not really, United were 6 weekly and Aer Lingus would have filled their gap. There hasn't been this many flights in the deep winter season (JAN-MAR) since the Shannon Stopover ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

• Registered Users Posts: 7 donalod1965

Evening

looking at taking the missus on a trip to frankfurt to celebrate our wdding anniversiary. appaled at lufthansa prices, little choice in june...only giving me options for business class 500 euro one way. no economy!! got them in july for some reason...740 euro return for 2 7th july to 14th july, same date from dublin 660 euro, kerry to hahn on 8th to 15th 440 euro which we went with in the end. I did not come on to moan but the Shannon flights are a expensive, cant see them lasting

donal

• Advertisement

Evening

looking at taking the missus on a trip to frankfurt to celebrate our wdding anniversiary. appaled at lufthansa prices, little choice in june...only giving me options for business class 500 euro one way. no economy!! got them in july for some reason...740 euro return for 2 7th july to 14th july, same date from dublin 660 euro, kerry to hahn on 8th to 15th 440 euro which we went with in the end. I did not come on to moan but the Shannon flights are a expensive, cant see them lasting

donal

It appears the 2nd and 16th of June is sold out of economy seats, which is a good indication of it doing extremely well, however they're not on the 9th, which I can find a return flight for €223 (or €446 for 2 people),

It's a weekly flight catering to mainly German tourists to be honest, it's never going to offer particularly amazing creiteria for most. However it has lasted last year, and if flights are being sold out to such a level will definitely last into next year. I don't understand how you managed to conclude that sold out = flight won't last.

If this is true, I'd suggest it may be expanded next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It appears the 2nd and 16th of June is sold out of economy seats, which is a good indication of it doing extremely well, however they're not on the 9th, which I can find a return flight for €223 (or €446 for 2 people),

It's a weekly flight catering to mainly German tourists to be honest, it's never going to offer particularly amazing creiteria for most. However it has lasted last year, and if flights are being sold out to such a level will definitely last into next year. I don't understand how you managed to conclude that sold out = flight won't last.

If this is true, I'd suggest it may be expanded next year.
    There's a widely held belief amongst people, mostly outside of Dublin, that there's a conspiracy against the regional airports and that either airlines or the DAA are deliberately pricing flights in Cork/Shannon to be higher than Dublin flights in such a way that the airlines will pull the flights from Cork and Shannon and transfer them all to Dublin, with the eventual aim of closing both airports.

I'm not saying the poster above holds this view but you'd be surprised at how widespread it is.

well they should have expanded it this year if it did well last year or used bigger planes . its a shame i cannot support my local airport

i have no conspiracy views I'm just disappointed i have to travel poor roads down to Kerry when i have a perfect airport 10 min away from me

i have no conspiracy views I'm just disappointed i have to travel poor roads down to Kerry when i have a perfect airport 10 min away from me

I was just commenting on general opinion - not accusing you at all - I hope it didn't come across that way.

It's disappointing but it's a good sign for future years if the LH flights are selling out this early. A lot of airlines seem to throw in token weekly services into Shannon/Cork in the summer but in recent years these have been moderately successful, Frankfurt-Shannon and Zurich/Madrid-Cork being examples.

If the LH flights are doing well there may be plane or frequency upgrades for the Summer 2019 season - it's likely too late with fleet tied up to increase for 2018.

By the way, thank you for supporting my local airport instead. ;)

well they should have expanded it this year if it did well last year or used bigger planes . its a shame i cannot support my local airport

Think of it this way, you cannot make everyone happy. If everyone wants to fly in June, how do you pick which routes to the capacity? The answer is the most yielding. If the route makes alot of money this year, it will be allocated more capacity next year. Sadly, market research only goes so far so you have to dip your toe in the water before you get in.

Also, you could have, as I pointed out, the flights from the 16th of June worked out just €6 more expensive than the ones you booked from Kerry, which would have been made up by the free coffee and tea on board.

marno21 wrote: »
    There's a widely held belief amongst people, mostly outside of Dublin, that there's a conspiracy against the regional airports and that either airlines or the DAA are deliberately pricing flights in Cork/Shannon to be higher than Dublin flights in such a way that the airlines will pull the flights from Cork and Shannon and transfer them all to Dublin, with the eventual aim of closing both airports.

I'm not saying the poster above holds this view but you'd be surprised at how widespread it is.

It's extremely frequent in Cork. I've found pattern. A quick logical think of it would tell you that because there's more flights, you're more likely to find some that are cheaper, and some that are more expensive. Demand also plays a part, is there competition, blah blah blah. Sadly logic and common sense isn't common!

Another point is I've found that the base price of Aer Lingus flights from Shannon is infact cheaper from the equivalent from Dublin, purely due to airport taxes I assume!

tks all for your answers not the best with the computers.
    hopefully the route does well this year good to see more flights in Shannon finally and hopefully we get more passenger numbers this year
    all the best,
    donal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Route only had a 54% average load last year so we're lucky to still have it. Good to see flights booked out.

• Advertisement

Anyone at the airport take any notice of Philadelphia's loads? Would be interesting to see with them starting a full month early.

Advertisement