Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pastor Brent

It's a pity that service to Charles de Gaulle with airFrance that came about 10 years ago only lasted a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's a pity that service to Charles de Gaulle with airFrance that came about 10 years ago only lasted a short time.

Wasn’t that during that disastrous period when Aer Lingus pulled the Heathrow flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I have to disagree with you mdmix. My parents in their late 60s check the Ryanair and Aer Lingus sites for flights from Shannon before deciding if they need to go elsewhere. If they in their in their late 60s, not being that text savvy, can tell that you don't need to default to DUB, then theres no excuse for anyone not being able to do the same.

im glad your parents are able to use these sites with ease. most people on this forum probably can do this as well, but for someone who hasn't used these sites before it may cause quite a lot of difficulty. if you ever have the opportunity to watch someone using a site that is new to them i would recommend it as its quite an eye opening experience to see the issues we take for granted affect how people use websites.

saying that tho, just because your parents can do something doesn't mean the rest of their generation, or any other generation can. young people 25 and under are particularly bad when it comes to technology, and some studies suggest over use of social media is leading to a fall in technical literacy.

anyway, not to stray off topic, my point was airline websites, bricks and mortar travel agents and air fare comparison websites are all biased toward Dublin, simply because it has the largest capacity and is seeing the most growth. Shannon management have recognized this and launched flyshannon.ie, which looks good but is in fact quite poor due to load time (takes 14 seconds to load on average internet speed and is in bottom 10% of all travel/tourism sites). while many of the people on this forum may not have had any issues with anything i have pointed out, i can gaurentee you these issues are contributing to passangers traveling from the region to other airports, along with the other issues raised on this thread.

open?id=15VaZyTa3hObGuI3y94nfxGalOZB0ij2c

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15VaZyTa3hObGuI3y94nfxGalOZB0ij2c

i may have waffled a bit, but to go back to my original point, i think there is a large enough base in the region for the airport to grow to around double its existing passanger numbers in the short to mid term if they can do some market research and improve the online experience (as well as the physical airport experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Kuwaiti Airlines last flight transitting through Shannon is currently on the ground. The service is finished as of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Kuwaiti Airlines last flight transitting through Shannon is currently on the ground. The service is finished as of today.

Are you serious? .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

hobie14 wrote: »
    Are you serious? .......

They got approval to fly direct to JFK

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

hobie14 wrote: »
    Are you serious? .......
    https://twitter.com/KuwaitAirways/status/1083380949075808256

KWI-JFK direct on the B77W from tomorrow.

They were just awaiting the TSA clearance to be allowed fly direct, they obviously received that today at some stage so the stopover is no long necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/KuwaitAirways/status/1083380949075808256

KWI-JFK direct on the B77W from tomorrow.

Oh blimey .....

Bad news for a lot of staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Bad news for a lot of staff.

Will there be lay-offs?

Shn99 wrote: »
    Will there be lay-offs?

I can't imagine some companies will be able to keep on the same amount of staff they currently have. It was a fairly huge operation in comparison to every other flight in the airport.

I can't imagine some companies will be able to keep on the same amount of staff they currently have. It was a fairly huge operation in comparison to every other flight in the airport.

Why? What did it require?

Why? What did it require?

Ground handling, security, wheelchairs, cargo. I would guess 40+ staff involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

18 rooms in the Absolute, bus transfers from Limerick to Shannon x 2

Ground handling, security, wheelchairs, cargo. I would guess 40+ staff involved.

Did passengers enter the terminal to use pre clearance facilities?

Did passengers enter the terminal to use pre clearance facilities?

They got off the plane and down through security screening. Didn't use CBP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ryanair new route:

Shannon-Frankfurt: 1x weekly, from May. Unsure of days/timings.

It's not a wild shot in the dark to say this is to try remove Lufthansa. I think this is a good new example of why Shannon struggles to get European routes. Ryanair don't want to run them, but they're not keen on allowing others to do it either.

Edit: No official confirmation, perhaps not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ryanair new route:

It's not a wild shot in the dark to say this is to try remove Lufthansa. I think this is a good new example of why Shannon struggles to get European routes. Ryanair don't want to run them, but they're not keen on allowing others to do it either.

Jeez... not smart negotiations on SNNs part. Did they not learn their lesson from the past. They should be concentrating on building their relationship with Lufthansa as a priority rather than annoying them.

Masala wrote: »
    Jeez... not smart negotiations on SNNs part. Did they not learn their lesson from the past. They should be concentrating on building their relationship with Lufthansa as a priority rather than annoying them.

What can Shannon actually do?

• Advertisement

What can Shannon actually do?

Can they not say.... thanks but no thanks?

Better have 1 flight full and a happy operator rather than 2 flights half full and 2 unhappy operators. If the latter.... it won't be long before you have 0 operators.

i presume they can't off Ryanair any ddeals ... so they could squeeze them on charges as well give then ****ty slots. That would make them back off very quick

Can they not say.... thanks but no thanks?

Better have 1 flight full and a happy operator rather than 2 flights half full and 2 unhappy operators. If the latter.... it won't be long before you have 0 operators.

No they can't really, if an operator wants to operate the route then they go and operate it, it's part of being a free market. I doubt they got any discounted fees.

Even if they couldn't just do that, it would be easy for Ryanair to say either let us operate, or we'll pull all the other routes. Which is the larger evil?

Also, Shannon's not slot restricted, only restrictions are on the FRA side.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ryanair new route:

Doesn't get more blatant than that really

Is it Frankfurt am Main and not Hahn ?

SNN could still have the upper hand depending on the flight times requested. They could play the 'ramp congestion' card and suggest alternative arrival/ departure times and if not feasible from FRA... then that could be the end of that!!

To me titblooks like an anti- Lufthansa move and whilst it might be good for the short break market... it will be a case of out on RY and back on LF. Or visaversa.

SNN could still have the upper hand depending on the flight times requested. They could play the 'ramp congestion' card and suggest alternative arrival/ departure times and if not feasible from FRA... then that could be the end of that!!

To me titblooks like an anti- Lufthansa move and whilst it might be good for the short break market... it will be a case of out on RY and back on LF. Or visaversa.

The Lufthansa times as they are, aren't particularly amazing, I don't think ryanair were looking for a peak time anyway, just to slot it in somewhere. It is only once weekly after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ryanair new route:

Where did you see this? They've been posting all over Instagram/Twitter about their flight to Frankfurt and saying it's with Ryanair, but I think that's a schoolboy error...

Where did you see this? They've been posting all over Instagram/Twitter about their flight to Frankfurt and saying it's with Ryanair, but I think that's a schoolboy error...

That's not what my source was, but perhaps it was confusion.

Not the first time that Shannon Airport have messed up social media.

Oooohh... SNN now at false news?????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That's not what my source was, but perhaps it was confusion.

Not the first time that Shannon Airport have messed up social media.

Because I called them out and they deleted the post and changed it to Lufthansa...

• Advertisement

I see an Omni (or 2) took off from Shannon this evening, getting fairly rare now, how often are they spotted?

Advertisement