Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I see an Omni (or 2) took off from Shannon this evening, getting fairly rare now, how often are they spotted?

Not that rare, I’d often see one when I’m out spotting. They’re usually in once or twice a week..military aircraft are quite rare these days, most of that has moved to Belfast. Miami and Sun Country have stopped coming here altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Shn99 wrote: »
    Not that rare, I’d often see one when I’m out spotting. They’re usually in once or twice a week..military aircraft are quite rare these days, most of that has moved to Belfast. Miami and Sun Country have stopped coming here altogether

There was a Miami here last week or possibly the week before.

This week is very busy with Omni flights, they're just not here during spotting hours.

There was a Miami here last week or possibly the week before.

This week is very busy with Omni flights, they're just not here during spotting hours.

Must be the first Miami in a while. Trump is pulling troops out of Syria and sending them down to the Mexican border so that explains that.

Remember not so long ago there used to be C130s and C-40s regularly..hit and miss nowadays, although there’s a C130 on the way in as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Only a few years ago there was a much larger amount of military traffic through, even living in West Clare I often heard them passing by overhead. Much rarer now.

Only a few years ago there was a much larger amount of military traffic through, even living in West Clare I often heard them passing by overhead. Much rarer now.

Many years ago there was ATA and World Air coming through regularly along with the Omni flights. They have their slow weeks, it has been busy since mid December though.

• Advertisement

There were actually 5 omnis in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave1794

Ryanair new route:

Shannon-Frankfurt: 1x weekly, from May. Unsure of days/timings.

It's not a wild shot in the dark to say this is to try remove Lufthansa. I think this is a good new example of why Shannon struggles to get European routes. Ryanair don't want to run them, but they're not keen on allowing others to do it either.

Source? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Flight in medical emergency over Atlantic (Clare Herald) January 12th

United Airlines flight UA-879 was about three hours into its journey from London to Houston, Texas when they turned around.

Holiday jet diverts to Shannon with toilet issues (Clare Herald) January 6th

Azur Air flight KTK-973 was travelling from Moscow, Russia to the Dominican Republic in the Caribbean.

Dave1794 wrote: »

People can’t name their sources for obvious reasons

I now express doubt that this route is actually happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mart 23

Are the final 2018 passenger numbers for Shannon known yet ?

No they're not, will probably be another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

How did you know the difference between military aircraft and non military aircraft.

Is it those big rumbling propeller plane's you'd hear or jet engines.

I remember living in Shannon during the gulf war's and there was very unusual looking aircraft and noise at early hours.

Muckka wrote: »
    How did you know the difference between military aircraft and non military aircraft.

Is it those big rumbling propeller plane's you'd hear or jet engines.

I remember living in Shannon during the gulf war's and there was very unusual looking aircraft and noise at early hours.

You wouldn't know whether a jet is military or not, but a very loud 4 engined propellor aircraft flight overhead and not on flightradar, you can assume that most of the time they're the same ones that you'd see parked at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

You wouldn't know whether a jet is military or not, but a very loud 4 engined propellor aircraft flight overhead and not on flightradar, you can assume that most of the time they're the same ones that you'd see parked at the airport.

Different times alright.
    I remember the Concorde, and all the aeroflot flights.
    All the Russians walking around Shannon, it was very cosmopolitan in the 80's
    They lived in the red brick apartments across from the old Shannon Development building.
    We called them the Russian Flats.

Back when Shannon was booming literally.
    Constant flights in and out.
    That old concrete road from Drumgeely up to the airport, made a strange sound inside the car when my dad drove us up for a few hours to have dinner in the old Aer Rianta restaurant.
    Then off upstairs to the bar, ashtrays everywhere.
    Video games along the wall and a nice viewing area where you could look out onto the runway.

Happy memories of Shannon airport.
    Any time our relations would come from different parts of the country all the cousins and aunt's and uncles would go to the airport on a Sunday.

It was a day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Austrian 777 on the way in from a Vie to Ord flight ..... ?

hobie14 wrote: »

Medical emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hi folks, not sure if this is the correct forum for my question, but there is a lot of local knowledge on this thread.

Any idea how busy the Norwegian flight to Boston is? Flying on a wednesday during Easter hols with the family, and just trying to figure whether on not I need to purchase seats or how they are allocated. AFAIK there is no online check in, so I presume it’s first come first served at the check in desk?

ratracer wrote: »
    Hi folks, not sure if this is the correct forum for my question, but there is a lot of local knowledge on this thread.

Any idea how busy the Norwegian flight to Boston is? Flying on a wednesday during Easter hols with the family, and just trying to figure whether on not I need to purchase seats or how they are allocated. AFAIK there is no online check in, so I presume it’s first come first served at the check in desk?

Be aware, most people will check in online. Norwegian don't actively split you up afaik (only ryanair really), but at the check in desk there could be few seats left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

hobie14 wrote: »
    Shn99 wrote: »
    Medical emergency

Jet returns to Austria after diverting to Shannon (Clare Herald)

A US-bound jet has made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport to seek urgent medical attention for a passenger.

In the second emergency diversion in just three days, an Austrian Airlines flight from Vienna to Chicago made the unscheduled landing at Shannon. There were 307 passengers and a crew of 14 on board.

• Advertisement

SWF/PVD bases closing. No word on what’s happening to the Shannon flights

Lets hope the flights will stay in Shannon for a good bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Have Shannon ever had any Scandinavian rotes at all ?

Have Shannon ever had any Scandinavian rotes at all ?

Yes, SAS ran a twice weekly route to Stockholm between August and October 2017. Did not do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yes, SAS ran a twice weekly route to Stockholm between August and October 2017. Did not do well.

3 months wasn’t exactly exhaustive. I think it was only once a week and it started at the end of the Summer.

3 months wasn’t exactly exhaustive. I think it was only once a week and it started at the end of the Summer.

Twice a week, Tuesday and Saturday

Shannon should negotiate with lufthansa for year round service to frankfurt and increased frequencies imagine how much benefit the airprot would get with passenger numbers

Shannon should negotiate with lufthansa for year round service to frankfurt and increased frequencies imagine how much benefit the airprot would get with passenger numbers

If there was sufficient demand for such services then I’m sure they would have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

I wonder how many passengers were on those flights to Stockholm that only lasted 3 months?

Advertisement