Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I wonder how many passengers were on those flights to Stockholm that only lasted 3 months?

You can find the figured on the CSO website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Total Terminal Movements 2018:
    25,554 +0.8%

Total Commerical Movements 2018:
    20,102 +4.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

mdmix wrote: »

Not expecting much if any growth for 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Shn99 wrote: »
    Not expecting much if any growth for 2019

No chance of growth this year, 0%.

• Advertisement

No chance of growth this year, 0%.

Shame really, wonder how the management will dress the figures up this time next year.. Kuwait is a huge loss, Ryanair haven’t really grow. when you factor in the loss of LPL and reduction in MAN. Also lots of uncertainty regarding the future of Norwegians operation, internal email has revealed that the DUB base will be reduced to 1 aircraft from September, with SWF and PVD closing bases altogether

Shame really, wonder how the management will dress the figures up this time next year.. Kuwait is a huge loss, Ryanair haven’t really grow. when you factor in the loss of LPL and reduction in MAN. Also lots of uncertainty regarding the future of Norwegians operation, internal email has revealed that the DUB base will be reduced to 1 aircraft from September, with SWF and PVD closing bases altogether

Loads of extra santa flights, mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

how is kuwait a big loss??

how is kuwait a big loss??

On average 250 passengers a day, 7 days a week. Close to 40 jobs if not more lost due to it not transiting through anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

On average 250 passengers a day, 7 days a week. Close to 40 jobs if not more lost due to it not transiting through anymore.

40 jobs is not a huge loss. Plenty of work out there at the moment. Kuwait was only a temporary arrangement anyway, and brought no significant revenue to the wider economy.

It inflated overall passenger numbers and helped with paying overheads but losing an American tourist flight for a summer would hit the wider local a lot more. And thats why the airport is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave1794

Kuwait is a blow for the airport but it wasn't long term either way :(

jasper100 wrote: »
    40 jobs is not a huge loss. Plenty of work out there at the moment. Kuwait was only a temporary arrangement anyway, and brought no significant revenue to the wider economy.

It inflated overall passenger numbers and helped with paying overheads but losing an American tourist flight for a summer would hit the wider local a lot more. And thats why the airport is there.

Are you going to tell that to the families of the 40 made redundant? It will have a significant effect on the restaurants ect airside as they’ve lost 250 passengers a day. 20 rooms in the Absolute Hotel in limerick were also booked every night for crew. Ludacrious statement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I wonder how many passengers were on those flights to Stockholm that only lasted 3 months?

With which airline?

branie2 wrote: »
    With which airline?

SAS

Are you going to tell that to the families of the 40 made redundant? It will have a significant effect on the restaurants ect airside as they’ve lost 250 passengers a day. 20 rooms in the Absolute Hotel in limerick were also booked every night for crew. Ludacrious statement

In the grand scheme of things its a drop in the ocean, nothing "huge" about it. Anybody employed by it would have known it was a short term gig, so save us the violins about telling the families etc.

Yes it will impact the restaurant and the absolute hotel, but both would have known it was coming to an end at some stage, sooner rather than later.

In the grand scheme of things its a drop in the ocean, nothing "huge" about it. Anybody employed by it would have known it was a short term gig, so save us the violins about telling the families etc.

Yes it will impact the restaurant and the absolute hotel, but both would have known it was coming to an end at some stage, sooner rather than later.

From what I’ve read it sounds like Kuwait Airways got the approval the day before and just pulled out of SNN the next day, however I’m open to correction on this. This is an extract from The Clare Herald “One airport worker said: “We don’t know, we just don’t know. We are waiting to hear but we hope there will be enough work to tie us over until the start of the summer scheduled in March. We’ll have to wait and see.” Doesn’t sounds like someone who knew their job was temporary, again open to correction on this..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ve only ever flown in or out of Shannon as living in Kilkenny Dublin is the default airport- but I’ve always been fascinated by Shannon and would love to see it doing well- the drop in traffic figures is very stark. Wasn’t it seeing 3 plus million passengers or so during the peak of the boom? Why haven’t these recovered (only half that it seems still) to those levels at all? I thought it had autonomy on landing fees and could compete better for business?

road_high wrote: »
    I’ve only ever flown in or out of Shannon as living in Kilkenny Dublin is the default airport- but I’ve always been fascinated by Shannon and would love to see it doing well- the drop in traffic figures is very stark. Wasn’t it seeing 3 plus million passengers or so during the peak of the boom? Why haven’t these recovered (only half that it seems still) to those levels at all? I thought it had autonomy on landing fees and could compete better for business?

Back around then the Shannon stopover was still in place, was finished completely around 2011/12 afaik

Shannon stopover has ended

Did that not end way before then though? I thought that ended in the 90s?

Did that not end way before then though? I thought that ended in the 90s?

I’m referring to the Dublin-USA stopover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Back around then the Shannon stopover was still in place, was finished completely around 2011/12 afaik

The Shannon stopover finished completely in 2008.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The Shannon stopover finished completely in 2008.

Is that the main reason then for the huge drop off in passenger numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

mdmix wrote: »
    Yer wan in the picture could look a little happier.

From what I’ve read it sounds like Kuwait Airways got the approval the day before and just pulled out of SNN the next day, however I’m open to correction on this. This is an extract from The Clare Herald “One airport worker said: “We don’t know, we just don’t know. We are waiting to hear but we hope there will be enough work to tie us over until the start of the summer scheduled in March. We’ll have to wait and see.” Doesn’t sounds like someone who knew their job was temporary, again open to correction on this..

Staff in the airport found out about 10/15 minutes before the flight landed. They were told to inform the crew to stay on board and continue to JFK as passengers as there would be no flight for them to work the following day. The information was passed via a text message or voice message.

Staff in the airport found out about 10/15 minutes before the flight landed. They were told to inform the crew to stay on board and continue to JFK as passengers as there would be no flight for them to work the following day. The information was passed via a text message or voice message.

Could passengers buy a ticket and get on/off at Shannon?

Still doesn't make it a "huge" loss though. Everybody knew it was going to happen at sooner rather than later.

Doesn't really matter how the information was relayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Could passengers buy a ticket and get on/off at Shannon?

No. The purpose of the stop at Shannon was just to screen US bound passengers until such time as Kuwait Airways were given permission for the screening to happen upon their arrival in JFK.

Still doesn't make it a "huge" loss though. Everybody knew it was going to happen at sooner rather than later.

Doesn't really matter how the information was relayed.

So it doesn’t matter that employees were told 15 minutes before the flight landed that today would potentially be their last day? Rubbish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So it doesn’t matter that employees were told 15 minutes before the flight landed that today would potentially be their last day? Rubbish.

I don't think they were being told it was their last day I think it was just that the flight wouldn't be stopping in Shannon anymore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't think they were being told it was their last day I think it was just that the flight wouldn't be stopping in Shannon anymore

I know someone affected by it. They were called in and people were told that they were being let go and the ones remaining told that their overtime was gone. I think it was 6-8 people let go.

Advertisement