Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

I know someone affected by it. They were called in and people were told that they were being let go and the ones remaining told that their overtime was gone. I think it was 6-8 people let go.

Hardly a "huge" loss then.:rolleyes:

Shn99 wrote: »
    So it doesn’t matter that employees were told 15 minutes before the flight landed that today would potentially be their last day? Rubbish.

I am referring to YOUR claim that the end of what was always known to be a temporary arrangement like Kuwait is a "huge" loss to the airport.

How it is communicated to a small number of employees on the ground does not dictate whether its a huge loss to the airport or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't think they were being told it was their last day I think it was just that the flight wouldn't be stopping in Shannon anymore

Certain staff were called to a meeting on board the aircraft and told they would be finishing work that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I know someone affected by it. They were called in and people were told that they were being let go and the ones remaining told that their overtime was gone. I think it was 6-8 people let go.

Between all companies in the airport 40+ staff have been let go due to Kuwaiti finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Comhra wrote: »
    No. The purpose of the stop at Shannon was just to screen US bound passengers until such time as Kuwait Airways were given permission for the screening to happen upon their arrival in JFK.

It was also a refueling stop

• Advertisement

Stanford wrote: »

Hardly. If that was the case they would still need to stop for fuel

They may have travelled on a reduced tank from kuwait to shannon to reduce weight and save money but ultimately its much cheaper to stay in the air with a bigger fuel load at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stanford wrote: »

They refueled, but that was not why they stopped, they can make the journey nonstop from Kuwait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave1794

Ryanair Launches Munster Rugby Flights from Shannon to Edinburgh
    DATE ROUTE DEPARTS
    29 March Shannon – Edinburgh 16:40 & 20:00
    31 March Edinburgh – Shannon 12:00 & 15:20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Dave1794 wrote: »
    DATE ROUTE DEPARTS

Crazy expensive. €300 return is the cheapest I can find. Better off doing the packages with Munster Sports Travel!

I won't be surprised if they double the prices closer to time, Ryanair love doing it lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Deagol wrote: »
    Crazy expensive. €300 return is the cheapest I can find. Better off doing the packages with Munster Sports Travel!

They were 200 earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for November and December are out but not complete.

471984.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for November and December are out but not complete.

471984.png

Bristol finished at the end of October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The CSO statistics for October are out.

471985.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Dave1794 wrote: »
    DATE ROUTE DEPARTS

Fair play to them. But unfortunately most of us have alternative flights booked at this stage. They should have made an announcement once the fixture was confirmed that they would be putting on a few flights. Without confirming the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They refueled, but that was not why they stopped, they can make the journey nonstop from Kuwait.

Airport fees at my guess per aircraft - €2k in airfield movements and between airbridges and assoc fees could be up on €300. Transit pax are exempt from airport security fee (Not the US CPB fees though) not to mind what the spend was in the duty free. Staff transportation to and from the Absolute Hotel. Hotel rooms for the crew and their daily per diem spent in the City (although they were mostly "room partyers by all accounts). Now that a fair skelp of money to be down on 1 transit flight for the days that they were in. Excluding fuel, it would be somewhere North of 8-10K at a guess. We always knew it was temporary but it was most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Didn't think it was processed in CBP - pax just recleared regular airport security. I often flew out on EI386 which left around the same time - there was never ever a spot at the bar when it was in

Id say it was more likely a case of aviation fuel being relatively cheap in Ireland and it not making economical sense to carry the extra weight of the fuel. A heavier aircraft burns more fuel, so it's in their interests to not carry fuel they don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Shannon has the potential to do a better than it is. As someone said earlier its not the TA routes thats the problem but more the poor European routes thats an issue. Management have a serious amount of work to do here.

1.I moved to back to the mid west a few years ago.Give me Shannon or cork over Dublin anyday. Plus its so much easier to use both airports if your travelling with kids. This would be an easy advantage to market to the public not to mention ease of access compared to driving to Dublin even from parts of laois and offaly

2. Both Limerick and Galway now have a large number of Europeans living and working in them. In mainland Europe many would not be familar with Shannon or be familar with its location. Airport should be tapping into this market to get its name out out there.Saw this myself 1st hand years ago working in Cork.People from our Amsterdam were on the way over flight was diverted to Shannon once they landed a few of us got text from them wondering where exactly shannon was they had never heard of it

3.Even if they could attract some summer routes to mainland Europe it would be a start. In recent years Cork airport has been successful with this.In recent years have gotten a summer service to the likes of Madrid, Zurich and new for this summer Malta and Croatia.Zurich turned out to be a particular success with the services extend. Maybe a similar approach could be taken yes some will fail while others will turn out to be great.

4. Need to work with airlines about flight times. That liverpool services was a disaster when it came to times. I have friends who regular travel to North Tipp from Liverpool and coz of the flight times still had to use Dublin more than Shannon which was a pitty with shannon less than a hour away. Its a popular city for hens or heading to a match

5. Need to try and work closely with the social media pages such as recession traveller and companies like click and go or travel department. If you ever notice most deals on their social media accounts are with departure from Dublin with deals from Shannon or Cork rarely mentioned

6. Local passengers need to cop on a bit too. Recently a girl I work with went on a girlie weekend to London. Group was mostly people living in Limerick and Galway. Instead of flying from Shannon they all got up earlier in the morning to get the bus to Dublin to fly to Heathrow. This isnt just a Shannon thing the aircoach from Cork is full of people doing similar

I also agree with what someone said earlier about shannon hard to find when searching flight options on some search engines. Plus they should be a lot more active on social media promoting themselves and its routes Limerick and the mid west region is a place with a lot going for it and on the way up. Hopefully Shannon aiport can follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Plus they should be a lot more active on social media promoting themselves and its routes Limerick and the mid west region is a place with a lot going for it and on the way up. Hopefully Shannon aiport can follow suit

They do constantly promote the airport on Facebook and Instagram but it’s not very effective.

• Advertisement

They do constantly promote the airport on Facebook and Instagram but it’s not very effective.

They promote shannon and routes on tipp fm and spin south west too, i hear it every morning when i go to work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Condor A330 en-route to Cancun turned round and landed a few minutes ago ? .....

hobie14 wrote: »
    Condor A330 en-reroute to Cancun turned round and landed a few minutes ago ? .....

Reports of smoke in cockpit

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Reports of smoke in cockpit

That was fast ☺....

Shannon had the worst punctuality record of Ireland's main airports last year
    https://fora.ie/shannon-airport-flight-delays-2018-4475854-Feb2019/

Shannon had the worst punctuality record of Ireland's main airports last year
    https://fora.ie/shannon-airport-flight-delays-2018-4475854-Feb2019/

If they're including Kuwait, that will skew the figures. Kuwait were very rarely ever on time, with delays of 1 hour + being completely normal.

Also, the unreliability of American Airlines would add to this, with some eye watering delays on the PHL route. Although at least these operated, unlike EI who just cancelled several flights. Airports in the US are notoriously poor at on time performance so they're not wrong with suggesting most of the reason for the delays were caused by having so many long haul flights.

WHSmith landslide has closed down, 2 vending machines now in its place

WHSmith landslide has closed down, 2 vending machines now in its place

That's really really poor.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That's really really poor.

Yeah, very. One vending machine with bars and taytos, the other with fizzy drinks ect. Sign above it says “refreshment center” .....

Advertisement