Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

rivegauche wrote: »
    You are being intentionally obtuse.
    The Lufthansa service is a model which has promise. Not only can you get to Shannon from Frankfurt but from anywhere in the Lufthansa booking engine that can be offered by the logic of the booking engine. Now, if Shannon had an ATR42 from IAG that would open up huge opportunities through their booking engine

But they’re available via LHR. the variety is the same, if not more via LHR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Is there more benefit to Ireland for visitors and indeed MidWest locals hubbing though LHR than DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Is there more benefit to Ireland for visitors and indeed MidWest locals hubbing though LHR than DUB
    Yes in bold above.
    Visitors via Dublin tend to spend less time and money in the West/Midwest/Southwest

AnRothar wrote: »
    Yes in bold above.
    Visitors via Dublin tend to spend less time and money in the West/Midwest/Southwest

How would they spend so much more money in Dublin Airport's retail shops in a an hour or two than in the hotels and eateries of the Mid West.
    I know the retail end of the DAA is fairly slick but that is just not credible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Lufthansa service is a model which has promise. Not only can you get to Shannon from Frankfurt but from anywhere in the Lufthansa booking engine that can be offered by the logic of the booking engine. Now, if Shannon had an ATR42 from IAG that would open up huge opportunities through their booking engine
    Shannon already has 3x daily feeders from IAG via LHR on A320s.

I don't think a weekly E190 in the summer will make IAG quake in their boots.

If anything, the lack of frequency will mean it'll be mainly an O&D flight even with the possible connections.

• Advertisement

leaving the E.U. to get to another E.U. Country doesn't sound attractive to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He's not the one being obtuse.

IAG isn't an airline and doesn't have a booking engine. Aer Lingus on the other hand is and they provide flights to LHR and JFK and can already offer this service. The airport doesn't advertise these connections either as it's not an airline.

leaving the E.U. to get to another E.U. Country doesn't sound attractive to me.

We're not in Schengen, so it makes absolutely no difference.

and Heathrow isn't exactly Bijou. Aer Lingus operates out of Terminal 2 in DUB.

Right, so the consensus here is that having more connection options to link the MidWest to the outside world is not good. Thanks for your views. I withdraw from the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Right, so the consensus here is that having more connection options to link the MidWest to the outside world is not good. Thanks for your views. I withdraw from the discussion.

Yup, that's it exactly.

If such a service started, it would likely create losses for Aer Lingus and would threaten the viability of Shannon's current transatlantic routes. Losing EI's services to JFK and BOS would be disastrous for the airport, and would be a much bigger than any feeder route on a tiny aircraft would bring.

Tourists who want to fly to Shannon can do it just as well or even better via it's existing US routes or via Heathrow, there would be no gain to a Dublin service. it's not something that will happen, and it's not something that the airport would want.

Yeah, make stuff up so when your argument is taken apart. One flight a day on an ATR isn't going to make much of a difference to Shannons connectivity. First wave EU departures would be gone by the time it got to DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Yeah, make stuff up so when your argument is taken apart. One flight a day on an ATR isn't going to make much of a difference to Shannons connectivity. First wave EU departures would be gone by the time it got to DUB.

If nothing else, why on earth would anyone fly from Shannon to Dublin when you can drive / get a bus there in 2.5 hours for (almost certainly) a fraction of the cost?

I travel a lot and if there was a Dublin Shannon flight on an ATR it almost certainly would either have to leave at crazy o'clock in the morning to catch the main wave of flights in morning (so I'd drive up the night before) OR it would miss the flights from Dublin I'd want OR I'd have to sit in Dublin airport for 1,2 3 or more hours waiting for my onward connection.

Must say, it never ceases to amaze me that random people think they have ideas that experts with vast experience of their business' haven't thought of...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You could probably drive from each airport faster than the security checks and wait times would take. I have flown from Shannon to Dublin many many times but it really isn't needed with the quality of the motorways between Dublin and the other cities now

What exactly have I concocted?
    Which points have you picked apart?
    My contributions to this thread stand on their own merits and are fairly robust observations.
    I said I was leaving the discussion and just happened to check back in to see you posting bile directed at me. That is pretty poor form. I feel aggrieved.

The objective is inward flow to stimulate the local economy, not outward. Some can't see that Vacationers and Business people don't want to be forced in to a 220km drive from North Dublin over the crowded M50 in a RHD car. Faced with that option people will do their business or holiday elsewhere than in the MidWest.
    Deagol wrote: »
    Must say, it never ceases to amaze me that random people think they have ideas that experts with vast experience of their business' haven't thought of...
    Yeah, before Lufthansa started their route last year you'd have said the exact same thing and they're now expanding the service but they're hubbing through Frankfurt not Dublin and Dublin is an airport which aspires to have 50% direct traffic and 50% hub traffic.
    Amazing how Naysayers can give their opinions so freely in contradiction to actual facts provided by others. There is business to be won throughout the day be it from diverse American(or Asian destinations not directly served by Shannon in the early mornings or the European Cities that would never generate enough traffic for the MidWest to fill a 737 or A320 during the day and would otherwise never be served by an airline at Shannon.

I see a lot of cribbing here on this forum about the regions being neglected. Maybe the regions are allowing themselves to be neglected.

Clareman wrote: »
    You could probably drive from each airport faster than the security checks and wait times would take. I have flown from Shannon to Dublin many many times but it really isn't needed with the quality of the motorways between Dublin and the other cities now
    Your Username would indicate that you are looking at it from the perspective of what Shannon offers you personally in terms of convenience to you. Is that a fair thing to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just get the flight from Dublin to Kerry. Shannon airport is just over an hour away then, cutting out that *massive* hour extra drive on top of the other couple hours you would have to wait in Dublin Airport and the questionable times that the flights would be. Its just not feasible from a cost point of view, and since airlines work on profits, they won't run a route which will most likely be making losses. One of the main reasons for stopping the SNN-DUB and ORK-DUB flights in the first place.

Wouldn't say the 'regions are letting themselves be neglected'. The Airports don't dictate what flights can fly there. Its purely up to the airlines. Yeah they can offer incentives but if the airline makes a loss there isn't a hope of them starting. WAT for example. Yeah they are now pushing for a runway extension but thats not a gurrantee of flights returning there.

DUB-SNN isn't feasible.

SNN-JFK with EI temporarily reduced to from 6x to 4x weekly in July due to delays in delivery of the new A321LR aircraft

1,864,762 is the official figure for 2018, up 6.5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Shn99 wrote: »

Closing in on 2m!

• Advertisement

jasper100 wrote: »
    Closing in on 2m!

Long way to go yet, numbers will be down this year unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

any breakdown of these yet? transit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave1794

Long way to go yet, numbers will be down this year unfortunately
    maybe no good numbers for this year but Shannon are focusing on 2020 to secure more european and transatlantic routes so hopefully next year we see a jump in passenger numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

Extremely weird stuff going on in arrivals today when I was there an hour ago. Old women wailing dressed in masks and wearing capes. Very loud and inappropriate if it’s something to do with iwd it’s a poor choice by airport

golfball37 wrote: »
    Extremely weird stuff going on in arrivals today when I was there an hour ago. Old women wailing dressed in masks and wearing capes. Very loud and inappropriate if it’s something to do with iwd it’s a poor choice by airport

Oh lord, probably was, Shannon airports FB has been virtue signalling all morning posting an women's who work for them.

The blatant effort doesn't sit right, it's cringy and uncomfortable.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Oh lord, probably was, Shannon airports FB has been virtue signalling all morning posting an women's who work for them.

That's not unique to Shannon airport today.

That's not unique to Shannon airport today.

You're correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

JCX BXC wrote: »

No nothing to do with the airport at all. Just a nut job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

No nothing to do with the airport at all. Just a nut job

What you mean? There were about 6 of them and looked co-ordinated like some viral YouTube thingy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

golfball37 wrote: »
    What you mean? There were about 6 of them and looked co-ordinated like some viral YouTube thingy

Look up raging grannies on Google

Advertisement