Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Raging Grannies Day of Mourning at Shannon Airport (Shannonwatch)

A group of women known as the Raging Grannies will hold a Day of Mourning at Shannon Airport on March 8th, International Women's Day, starting at 11am. In doing so they will draw attention to the fact that the airport has been complicit in deaths all across the Middle East, with US troops passing through practically every day of the week.

Up to one million children have died due to US-led wars in the Middle East since 1991. This includes over 500,000 Iraqi children who died due to US/UN sanctions in the 1990s. US Secretary of State Madeline Albright said their deaths 'were worth it'

In Yemen at least 85,000 children have died as a result of the US supported Saudi /UAE genocide war. US warplanes have been delivering US soldiers and weapons and munitions through Shannon airport in support of this war.

Three million armed US troops have passed through Shannon airport since 2001 in breach of international laws on neutrality.

Multiple war crimes have been perpetrated by some of these US troops in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria.

The US has been using Shannon airport also to support human rights abuses and war crimes in Palestine and Yemen.

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440|1,316|19,296
    2018|1,301|1,200|1,368|1,575|1,829|2,098|2,104|1,949|2,066|1,858|1,385|1,369|20,102
    2019|1,246||||||||||||
    Change|-4.2%||||||||||||

AA63-Shannon-291118-1.jpg

Increase in unscheduled landings at Shannon (Clare Herald)

Shannon remains the state’s busiest airport for unscheduled landings and aircraft emergencies handling an increase in incidents last year.

There were 130 diversions at the mid-west airport in 2018 up from 113 the previous year. Most of these however were non-emergency diversions.

The more serious incidents included a bomb alert; smoke or odour on board; smoke or fire alarms; water system issues and pressurisation problems.

The airport handled 8 declared aircraft emergencies last year up from 5 in 2017. Such diversions require airport authorities to implement emergency procedures that include alerting the local authority fire service, HSE, National Ambulance Service and An Garda Síochána.

In some cases, where aircraft got into difficulty while routing across the Atlantic, the Irish Coast Guard and RNLI lifeboat service were also placed on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Wind must be up ..... A330-200 MRTT Reg # EC-340 doing circuits etc this morning ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

The Boeing 737MAX8 will be grounded until at least may according to the US Federal Aviation Administration, no word on what’s happening to flights from Shannon to Newburgh or Provedince as of yet however they have both been taken off sale for the month of April. Fares from May onwards are all €649 one way to discourage booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I wonder(already knowing the answer) if they'll use a 787 from Shannon as they're doing from Dublin.

I wonder(already knowing the answer) if they'll use a 787 from Shannon as they're doing from Dublin.

Will be interesting to see what happens as they have the ORK-PVD route too, could perhaps merge it with the SNN flight on a 787? Who knows yet, I’m sure they don’t themselves

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440|1,316|19,296
    2018|1,301|1,200|1,368|1,575|1,829|2,098|2,104|1,949|2,066|1,858|1,385|1,369|20,102
    2019|1,246|1,087|||||||||||
    Change|-4.2%|-9.4%|||||||||||

Kuwait and Norwegian probably the main cause for the drops.

Hope Boeing solve the issues with their new 737MAX8 aircraft as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Quite amazing that it's the middle of march and there's been no release of the passenger numbers.

I assume they're hoping that when the CSO finally releases them, there would be much of an upheaval at the reduction. Being perhaps the only airport in ROI with a fall won't look good whatever way you try and look at it.

2 people, believed to be ex US soldiers, have been arrested at SNN a this morning following a security breach
    http://clareherald.com/2019/03/two-arrested-following-security-breach-at-shannon-airport-80443/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The incident where 2 people were in court for recently falls under "Ongoing Court Case" and as such cannot be discussed on Boards, please refrain from discussion this but feel free to share links to media coverage of it.

Air Canada’s MAXs now grounded until at least July 1st, no word on what’s happening to SNN flights yet https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/air-canada-grounds-its-boeing-max-8-fleet-until-july-1-1.4342096

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for January are out.

475862.png

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Matthew Thomas is leaving his role as CEO of Shannon Group. https://clarechampion.ie/shannon-group-ceo-announces-departure/

Fire scare jet makes emergency landing at Shannon (Clare Herald)

A transatlantic jet has made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport after the crew reported a possible fire on board.

American Airlines flight AA-104 was travelling from New York to London when the crew declared a May-Day emergency at around 7.30am. There were 247 passengers and 14 crew on board.

The crew of the Boeing 777-200 jet advised air traffic controllers they had a “fire indication” in one of the cargo holds. The crew confirmed they had activated the internal fire extinguishers as a precaution.

The CSO statistics for December are out.

Overall increase for year was +6.8%

476480.png

Shannon Airport Working With Norwegian Air To Restore US Flights (Clare FM)

Management at Shannon Airport say they’re working with Norwegian Air International, with the hope of resuming services to the US.

The airline has confirmed that flights from Shannon have been cancelled until mid-April, as part of temporary arrangements, following the worldwide grounding of the Boeing 737 Max aircraft.

It came in the wake of two fatal crashes, including one in Ethiopia that claimed the life of Lahinch engineer Micheál Ryan.

Norwegian Air was due to resume flights from Shannon to Providence and Stewart Airports on Sunday, but it’s now confirmed that passengers will instead be accommodated on flights from Dublin until at least April 10th.

A spokesperson for Shannon Airport has told Clare FM that they look forward to the restoration of these services and will remain in contact with the airline in the meantime.

Matthew Thomas departing role as Shannon Group CEO (Clare Echo)

Matthew Thomas is to step down as CEO of Shannon Group plc to take up the same position at the Ports of Jersey.

South African native Thomas departs in June to fly to New Jersey where he will be responsible for the airport, harbour, marina and coastguard under the Ports of Jersey banner.

May 2016 marked his appointment to Shannon following Neil Pakey’s exit. He joined from Vantage Group where he was Chief Commercial Officer and worked with the company for 8 years, during this period Matthew served as CEO of Peel Airports which included Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

In his three years at Shannon, he oversaw a €40m investment by Shannon Commercial Properties in its first phase of redevelopment of the Shannon Free Zone, occupancy rates at the industrial space are now at 94%. Passenger numbers at Shannon Airport hit 1.86m last year which marked a 6.5% increase on 2017 figures. Visitors to Shannon Heritage sites grew to 925,000 during his tenure.

Never a dull Moment at Shannon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Matthew Thomas departing role as Shannon Group CEO (Clare Echo)

Matthew Thomas is to step down as CEO of Shannon Group plc to take up the same position at the Ports of Jersey.

South African native Thomas departs in June to fly to New Jersey where he will be responsible for the airport, harbour, marina and coastguard under the Ports of Jersey banner.

May 2016 marked his appointment to Shannon following Neil Pakey’s exit. He joined from Vantage Group where he was Chief Commercial Officer and worked with the company for 8 years, during this period Matthew served as CEO of Peel Airports which included Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

In his three years at Shannon, he oversaw a €40m investment by Shannon Commercial Properties in its first phase of redevelopment of the Shannon Free Zone, occupancy rates at the industrial space are now at 94%. Passenger numbers at Shannon Airport hit 1.86m last year which marked a 6.5% increase on 2017 figures. Visitors to Shannon Heritage sites grew to 925,000 during his tenure.

Never a dull Moment at Shannon :(

I wonder who'll be the next fly by night CEO of the Shannon group.

Matthew was quite good at his job, it's a shame to see him go.

Obviously he's entitled to advance his career and move on.

The Shannon group could do a lot more with the region.

What I liked about Shannon development was they used to be very much into the fisheries and enhancement of the lake's and rivers,they worked in conjunction with fisheries.

The Angling tourism was huge in the 80's and 90's, lots of people came over from the continent and UK fishing, game sea and course angling.

There's definitely potential for more growth in that department.

I hope I haven't went off topic, my apologies if I have.

Passenger numbers hit 1.86m?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mary Considine is a brilliant business person with loads of expierence, I think she should be given the role full time, can't be any worse than someone that just comes in for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Clareman wrote: »
    Mary Considine is a brilliant business person with loads of expierence, I think she should be given the role full time, can't be any worse than someone that just comes in for a couple of years.

i think the risk of promoting from within, even if that person has the talent and experience, is that you can lose out on new business links. its probably no coincidence the last CEO came from the UK and saw a decent increase in capacity to the UK in his time. hopefully the shannon group can attract the right kind of candidate from europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Clareman wrote: »

Mary Considine will stand in while they await candidates for the new position.

She stood in the last time too.

She's quite good at her job and has foresight and a great listener.

I don't think Shannon has ever had as bad a transatlantic offering as it's had this March. (Barring perhaps ~1970's and perhaps a year or two around the crash)

Norwegian - Nothing this winter, 4pw last winter. (Suspended for foreseeable future)

Aer Lingus - New York on reduced timetable, Boston hasn't ran, last year they ran Boston on a reduced timetable for half the month and full for the rest of the month, and they ran half a month of New York too.

United: Operated a partial month compared to full month last year.

A Sunday at this time of the year would have yielded 4 transatlantic services, today there is only one.

Not a good year for passenger numbers, AC to Toronto has been taken off sale for June resuming July 3rd. When did EI to JFK return last year? BOS isn’t returning until April 18th

Shn99 wrote: »
    Not a good year for passenger numbers, AC to Toronto has been taken off sale for June resuming July 3rd. When did EI to JFK return last year? BOS isn’t returning until April 18th

Always traditionally started just before St.Patricks day. It's amazing it's delayed so late when Boston seemed to be perfectly fine when it ran uninterrupted from 2013-2018.

Pity about Toronto, not surprising given the current situation regarding the 737-MAX.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Air Canada have suspended the 737 MAX until July so I'd imagine that's the reason rather than passenger numbers. Perhaps they may be redirected via LHR or one of the US routes.

JFK cancelled by Aer Lingus again, second day in a row.

I note Norwegian are operating the inbound flight from Stewart on a 737-800NG this morning. That'll be it for the week afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

JCX BXC wrote: »

I note Norwegian are operating the inbound flight from Stewart on a 737-800NG this morning. That'll be it for the week afaik.

Yes .... I thought I saw a Norwegian take off a few minutes ago .....9.50 am

• Advertisement

British Airways flight to New York is also cancelled today.

Why did the Aer Lingus EI-CJX return leg divert to Dublin?

Strange because the Norwegian return leg to New York is cancelled.

So where does this aircraft EI-FJO go to after departing Shannon?

Advertisement