Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's SNN not 'Shn'.

It's actually Shannon, or anal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I doubt any contract would have covered the situation where every 737 MAX in the world would be grounded indefinitely and Norwegian don't have the spare 738 frames to fulfill the flights.

Norwegian are still running flights through Dublin and taking up the slack from Cork and Shannon. To say that Shannon would accept this as the solution without any compensation would explain a lot about the airport and it's management. I'm not expecting Norwegian to order more planes but actually alternate the flights from the 3 airports to at least spread the pain to all 3 airports rather than awarding 1 a gift.

turbbo wrote: »
    Norwegian are still running flights through Dublin and taking up the slack from Cork and Shannon. To say that Shannon would accept this as the solution without any compensation would explain a lot about the airport and it's management. I'm not expecting Norwegian to order more planes but actually alternate the flights from the 3 airports to at least spread the pain to all 3 airports rather than awarding 1 a gift.

A 787 is too big to take off from Cork, but it's a lot easier to get from anywhere in the country to Dublin airport than it is to Shannon.

but it's a lot easier to get from anywhere in the country to Dublin airport than it is to Shannon.

Yeah that makes total sense. Somebody get a map for Phileas.
    :D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Alternating between 3 airports would cost Norwegian a fortune. They're already a loss making company losing more money over this so it's never going to happen. They have a base in Dublin with multiple daily flights, so it makes financial and organisational sense to move everything to Dublin. Shannon can't demand anything as they can't force any airline to fly from there.

• Advertisement

Alternating between 3 airports would cost Norwegian a fortune. They're already a loss making company losing more money over this so it's never going to happen. They have a base in Dublin with multiple daily flights, so it makes financial and organisational sense to move everything to Dublin. Shannon can't demand anything as they can't force any airline to fly from there.

Afaik every landing/takeof is paid for by the airline. So saying it would be more expensive for Norwegian to fly out of Shannon doesn't make sense as it would be way cheaper than Dublin. However I do think Norwegian would pick Dublin to hold onto a larger proportion of the customer base. In that case Shannon would have had grounds to sue Norwegian you can be sure compensation was paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In that case Shannon would have had grounds to sue Norwegian you can be sure compensation was paid.

1+1≠100

You seem to assume that Norwegian have a duty to Shannon airport!

You remember how often Ryanair has ran into and pulled out of airports in Ireland? That was intentional! Norwegian had no choice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

Attack the post not the poster, if you have a problem with a poster you can either PM them or put them on ignore, attacking each other on thread will lead to cards/bans.

1+1≠100

You seem to assume that Norwegian have a duty to Shannon airport!

You remember how often Ryanair has ran into and pulled out of airports in Ireland? That was intentional! Norwegian had no choice.

Duty in the form of a legal document called a contract. - I get your point that Shannon are struggling to get these contracts and that Norwegian had this angle covered already in their contract - which could be quite possible. Which begs the question how can Shannon survive if it keeps losing routes, and can only ever get scrappy contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Duty in the form of a legal document called a contract. - I get your point that Shannon are struggling to get these contracts and that Norwegian had this angle covered already in their contract - which could be quite possible. Which begs the question how can Shannon survive if it keeps losing routes?

Where is the contract? Have you seen it? What does it entail? Does it define penalties? How long does it last, does it even have an expiry?

I'd assume the answer to above would either be 'no' or 'I don't know', but you can be well assured that whatever way, shape, or form that the airport and Norwegian came to an agreement regarding fees and handling, but you can be sure that they've themselves covered and don't have to pay compensation for suspending the service.

The thing is, you've self admitted that you also don't know, so are you playing conspiracy theories to see if you get agreement somewhere along the line, or just toying with potential technicalities?

• Advertisement

The thing is, you've self admitted that you also don't know, so are you playing conspiracy theories to see if you get agreement somewhere along the line, or just toying with potential technicalities?

Yeah and what is wrong with that? I see a lot of assumptions here on this thread already about what Norwegian have are and will do. Is this not allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Duty in the form of a legal document called a contract. - I get your point that Shannon are struggling to get these contracts and that Norwegian had this angle covered already in their contract - which could be quite possible. Which begs the question how can Shannon survive if it keeps losing routes, and can only ever get scrappy contracts?

Seriously? This is an exceptional case. The best thing Shannon can do is facilitate Norwegian as best they can and hope they don't fold over this and return again.

Shannon dont get scrappy contracts, they have survived all these years and wont be going anywhere.

Yeah and what is wrong with that? I see a lot of assumptions here on this thread already about what Norwegian have are and will do. Is this not allowed?

What Norwegian have actually already done and said that they're going to do is not an assumption. It's fact.

What Norwegian have actually already done and said that they're going to do is not an assumption. It's fact.

Yeah facts.....funny you should mention that.....
    Norwegian haven't cancelled anything after May, so Providence and Stewart are still active destinations.

Yeah facts.....funny you should mention that.....

Norwegian haven't officially cancelled anything out of Shannon after June yet. Fact.

Norwegian are currently cancelling flights week to week and moving affected passengers to the Dublin flights. Fact.

Norwegian will continue to do this until the 737 MAX is allowed to fly again. Fact.

They have a plan in place and they know (and have communicated) what they're going to do until the MAX gets back in the air. Dates will change, but there are no assumptions, just fact.

Norwegian haven't officially cancelled anything out of Shannon after June yet. Fact.
    A fact that is useless to anybody that booked a flight with them from Shannon after June and have to take that flight out of Dublin.
    Just because it's a FACT with the caveat that it's not "officially cancelled".
    It's a FACT with bull$hit attached.

A fact that is useless to anybody that booked a flight with them from Shannon after June and have to take that flight out of Dublin.
    Just because it's a FACT with the caveat that it's not "officially cancelled".
    It's a FACT with bull$hit attached.

Christ almighty. An unforseen unique situation has happened which is completely outside anyone but Boeings control. Norwegian have decided not to take the nuclear option of cancelling everything (unlike AC) and are trying their best to accommodate their passengers. It's not perfect, but if you can't understand that they're making the best of a bad situation, then I give up.

It's not Norwegians fault. It's not Shannons fault. If you've got an axe to grind, then it should be with Boeing.

Christ almighty. An unforseen unique situation has happened which is completely outside anyone but Boeings control. Norwegian have decided not to take the nuclear option of cancelling everything (unlike AC) and are trying their best to accommodate their passengers. It's not perfect, but if you can't understand that they're making the best of a bad situation, then I give up.

It's not Norwegians fault. It's not Shannons fault. If you've got an axe to grind, then it should be with Boeing.

Will Norwegian ever be back to Shannon after this Boeing fiasco?

Yeah that makes total sense. Somebody get a map for Phileas.
    :D:D:D

It makes perfect sense. Where do all the aircoach / eir eagle / Dublin coach / citylink etc go? Where do most of the motorways in the country lead to? Where do most of the train lines go to? Hint - it's not Shannon!

It makes perfect sense. Where do all the aircoach / eir eagle / Dublin coach / citylink etc go? Where do most of the motorways in the country lead to? Where do most of the train lines go to? Hint - it's not Shannon!

I'll remind you of what you posted:
    but it's a lot easier to get from anywhere in the country to Dublin airport than it is to Shannon

It makes no sense - how could it be easier to get to Dublin if you live a lot closer to Shannon?

To respond to the rest of your comment - there are motorways all the way back to Shannon from Dublin - with a short part dual carriageway.
    Also motorway all the way as far north as Tuam.
    Pretty sure buses run to Shannon too. It's not like it's badly serviced in terms of road links!

• Advertisement

I'll remind you of what you posted:

It makes no sense - how could it be easier to get to Dublin if you live a lot closer to Shannon?

To respond to the rest of your comment - there are motorways all the way back to Shannon from Dublin - with a short part dual carriageway.
    Also motorway all the way as far north as Tuam.
    Pretty sure buses run to Shannon too. It's not like it's badly serviced in terms of road links!

It makes perfect sense. Not everyone flying from Shannon lives in Shannon and its surroundings. The "anywhere in the country" is a tip off to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

You can't argue with stupid..... at this stage you're just feeding the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

American Airlines flight AA714 from Philadelphia to Venice diverted to Shannon yesterday.

The flight continued this morning to Venice.

Medical diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Lufthansa (Boeing 747) flight LH405 from New York (JFK) to Frankfurt diverted to Shannon this morning.

Reason unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Lufthansa (Boeing 747) flight LH405 from New York (JFK) to Frankfurt diverted to Shannon this morning.

Reason unknown.

Medical

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I have commented on the need for Shannon to be a bit more proactive in marketing especially to companies in the region. Here is an example of cork airport doing just that (cork chamber of commerce did the survey).

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/firms-want-frankfurt-nyc-routes-from-cork-airport-922267.html

Maybe Shannon do the same, I don’t know but I have never seen anything published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

mdmix wrote: »
    Maybe Shannon do the same, I don’t know but I have never seen anything published.
    They have basically done the same.
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=109729&HL=0&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Shannon Airport Authority DAC (SAA) is seeking a market research partner to execute a comprehensive customer research programme, investigate the decision-making processes of residents within the airport’s catchment area when deciding which airport to fly from, gain a full insight into their current perceptions of Shannon Airport, and reveal their needs and requirements for the future.

Response deadline (Irish time)
    31-03-2017 16:00
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/shannon-to-draw-up-masterplan-to-help-secure-future-of-airport-35535705.html

March 16 2017 2:30 AM

Shannon Airport is to draw up a new masterplan with the aid of a major research project that will start next month which aims to provide the foundation for a stronger commercial offering.

It also wants to develop a strong brand proposition for the airport, which handled 1.74 million passengers last year, a figure that was virtually unchanged on 2015.....

In 2012, the then Transport Minister, Leo Varadkar, said that unless Shannon Airport could grow its passenger numbers to 2.5 million by 2021, it had "no future".
    https://www.shannonairport.ie/passengers/news-media/latest-news/2018/shannon-airport-capitalises-on-%E2%82%AC40-million-investm/
    https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/10/12/the-airport-that-wants-to-make-it-easy/
    http://www.clare.fm/news/shannon-airport-launches-major-marketing-campaign/
    http://clareherald.com/2018/10/shannon-airport-launches-major-new-marketing-campaign-11876/

October 9, 2018

Shannon Airport is to build on its record level of investment with the launch of a major new marketing campaign.

Following an extensive market research programme, involving over 8,000 of its customers, Shannon Airport today has unveiled its new campaign ‘Shannon Airport – making it easy’.

The aim of the campaign is to highlight the ease of the passenger experience, for travellers through Shannon Airport and it is building on the airport’s €40 million five year investment programme.

mdmix wrote: »
    I have commented on the need for Shannon to be a bit more proactive in marketing especially to companies in the region. Here is an example of cork airport doing just that (cork chamber of commerce did the survey).

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/firms-want-frankfurt-nyc-routes-from-cork-airport-922267.html

So Cork Chamber (not Cork Airport) do a survey about the airport and you use it to have another dig at Shannon. Have you checked to see if Limerick or Clare chambers have done similar surveys about Shannon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

So Cork Chamber (not Cork Airport) do a survey about the airport and you use it to have another dig at Shannon. Have you checked to see if Limerick or Clare chambers have done similar surveys about Shannon?
    Indeed, its easy enough to find
    https://www.ennischamber.ie/participate-in-shannon-airport-survey-and-get-rewarded/

To assist Shannon Airport in its task, the Chambers in Shannon, Ennis, Limerick and Galway have agreed to issue a survey to their members. The purpose of this survey is to ascertain corporate travel demands and patterns. The link to this survey is: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DY2H8WL

In appreciation of your time, and your willingness to assist in the process of winning new airline business for Shannon, Shannon Airport is offering 5 x €100 Duty Free shopping vouchers and 5 x €100 Flyshannon.ie vouchers as prizes to be raffled amongst people who complete the survey.

We would appreciate if you could complete the survey on or before COB Wednesday, 27 July 2016.
    So, if there's a problem, it doesn't seem to be a lack of surveys or marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

no dig intended. I spotted something positive that another airport had done and I went to see if Shannon were doing the same. I didn't find any evidence when I looked online so I posted here and got a very detailed answer which I am happy with, I certainly feel better informed. your post however is a very obvious dig. I'm not sure what I did to offend you but I hope you can recover.

Advertisement