Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mdmix wrote: »
    no dig intended. I spotted something positive that another airport had done and I went to see if Shannon were doing the same. I didn't find any evidence when I looked online so I posted here and got a very detailed answer which I am happy with, I certainly feel better informed. your post however is a very obvious dig. I'm not sure what I did to offend you but I hope you can recover.

You've been having digs at Shannon management in this very thread since last week. Between blaming them for Kuwait and Norwegian pulling flights and your recent post, you clearly have issues with them.

As Balf said it was very easy to find results online showing that Shannon did indeed also have these kinds of surveys, so you couldn't have searched very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Between blaming them for Kuwait and Norwegian pulling flights and your recent post, you clearly have issues with them.

You must be confusing me with someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Third emergency diversion to Shannon Airport in a week (Clare Herald)

Delta Air Lines flight DL-195 from Barcelona to Atlanta diverted to Shannon this afternoon.

The crew of the Boeing 767-400 declared a medical emergency at around midday. At the time, the flight was about 270 kilometres South West of Shannon.

Shannon Airport’s Fire and Rescue Service was alerted and crews placed on standby as a precaution when the crew confirmed they would be making an ‘overweight landing’.

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for March are out.

480181.png

The CSO statistics for January are out.

Boeing Statement on 737 MAX Certification and Return to Service (Boeing News Releases)

480515.png

• Advertisement

King & Queen of Sweden coming to Clare (Clare Echo)

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and his wife Queen Silvia will arrive in Ireland on Wednesday for a state visit on the invitation of President Michael D. Higgins.

On Friday (May 25th) they will travel to North Clare conducting a tour of the Burren Smokehouse restaurant which is managed by Birgitta and Peter Curtin which this year celebrates it’s thirtieth birthday.

Queen Silvia and King Carl will fly home to Stockholm from Shannon Airport.

Security stepped up at Shannon Airport ahead of possible Trump visit (Journal)

Gardai have already taken up security duties at Shannon Airport ahead of a possible visit by US President Donald Trump next month.

It’s expected that the presidential jet, Air Force One, and other accompanying aircraft, will arrive in Shannon on 5 June with Mr Trump likely to stay at his family’s hotel and gold resort in Doonbeg for two nights.

It’s expected he will then head to France for World War II commemorative events the following day, before returning to Doonbeg for another overnight stay.

Standoff over venue threatens to derail Trump visit to Ireland (CNN)

Doonbeg or Dromoland Castle?

Mean while Trump's 757 arrived yesterday Shannon.

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440|1,316|19,296
    2018|1,301|1,200|1,368|1,575|1,829|2,098|2,104|1,949|2,066|1,858|1,385|1,369|20,102
    2019|1,246|1,087|1,320|1,444|||||||||
    Change|-4.2%|-9.4%|-3.5%|-8.3%|||||||||

US Preclearance to be extended at Shannon (Clare Herald)

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced that it will introduce an out-of-hour’s preclearance service at Shannon Airport, Ireland, beginning the 1st of June 2019.

Clint Lamm, Director Preclearance said: “The Preclearance Field Office continues to look for new and innovative ways to provide a secure and efficient transborder process for our closest international partners. There have been requests for CBP to provide enhanced services for business travellers and private aircraft, so we are very pleased that our longstanding relationship with Shannon Airport will once again allow us to deliver.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how tight is security with Trump's pending visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 huron

fryup wrote: »
    how tight is security with Trump's pending visit?

Yeah, you're now on a list.

• Advertisement

Virgin Atlantic B747 diverted to Shannon yesterday while routing from St. Johns to Gatwick.

Crew out of hours?

Bermuda bound jet diverts to Shannon with ill passenger (Clare Herald)

British Airways flight BA-2233 was travelling from Gatwick Airport in England to the British island territory of Bermuda when the crew made a U-turn over the Atlantic.

The flight had departed at around 3.45pm and was about two hours into its journey when the crew turned around and diverted to Shannon. The crew advised air traffic controllers that they wished to reroute to Shannon to seek medical attention for the passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Appears Aer Lingus will be back to running Boston for the winter, leaving no winter service to New York for the first time I can recall.

DTTAS Quarterly Aviation Statistics Snapshot (Quarter 1 2019 Report)

481602.png

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I think Easter was in March last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Limerick91 wrote: »
    I think Easter was in March last year
    And that explains why Cork is up 10% and Knock is up nearly 9% in same period?

Balf wrote: »
    And that explains why Cork is up 10% and Knock is up nearly 9% in same period?

It explains the huge drop in March compared to last year. He quite obviously wasn't trying to explain the Cork or Knock numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

It explains the huge drop in March compared to last year. He quite obviously wasn't trying to explain the Cork or Knock numbers.

Yes but presumably it was Easter there too which means their increases are even more impressive?

golfball37 wrote: »
    Yes but presumably it was Easter there too which means their increases are even more impressive?

Again ye're picking an argument that obviously wasn't being made.

• Advertisement

Again ye're picking an argument that obviously wasn't being made.
    I don't think anyone is picking an argument; just raising relevant points arising from recent news.

Shannon's performance looks poor, with a decline in traffic contrasting with the significant growth achieved by its nearest competitors.

I don't think anyone is picking an argument; just raising relevant points arising from recent news.

Shannon's performance looks poor, with a decline in traffic contrasting with the significant growth achieved by its nearest competitors.

Nobody has denied that. Put the poster was obviously replying to the traffic figures posted by Brennans Row, not the fact that Cork and Knock were doing better, yet that's what you picked them up on.

.... the poster was obviously replying to the traffic figures posted by Brennans Row, not the fact that Cork and Knock were doing better, yet that's what you picked them up on.
    The two facts don't exist in parallel universes.

Shannon's impacted by Easter, but not Knock?

If you'd rather not discuss, that's fine too.

The two facts don't exist in parallel universes.

Shannon's impacted by Easter, but not Knock?

If you'd rather not discuss, that's fine too.

Shannon was predicted to be down this year and that was before the 737MAX grounding. It's also not adding routes like Knock is to make up for the losses.
    It doesn't take away from the fact that a large part of the 10% drop in March, compared for 2.3% in Jan 1.7% in Feb, was due to Easter moving.

The only details we have so far are the UK figures, which are up +1.5%.

What we don't know yet are how the East European and the so called bucket and spade routes are performing.

But fact is, Norwegian's own woes on the Transatlantic route and the loss of Kuwait on the transit side will have contributed to the downturn in those Q1 figures.

US military flying in equipment for Trump visit (Clare Herald)

He is bringing a lot of golfing gear in for two days in Doonbeg. ;)

What we don't know yet are how the East European and the so called bucket and spade routes are performing.

Has there been any expansion on any of these services? I know Frankfurt is due to expand when it restarts, but haven’t AerLingus cut their Lanzarote route?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Has there been any expansion on any of these services? I know Frankfurt is due to expand when it restarts, but haven’t AerLingus cut their Lanzarote route?

No, that only runs for winter. Frankfurt has restarted.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Condor ... D- ABOH 757 ... now on short finals ...... FRA - YHZ ..?

• Advertisement

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for April are out.

481950.png

Advertisement