Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

In 2006 there was 2 continental flights, 2 delta flights, us Airways, American Airlines, Air Canada, Air transat. I'm not sure why you think Delta/American were doing military flights but that never has and would never happen. Omni, World and ATA did the troop flights back then. Surely working for servisair you'd have remembered all of them?

It was only a year and it appears I am perhaps misremembering. 50 hour week with rotating shifts it's like having a baby you forget everything cos you're half asleep most of the time. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It was only a year and it appears I am perhaps misremembering. 50 hour week with rotating shifts it's like having a baby you forget everything cos you're half asleep most of the time. :confused:

Oh believe me I know all about dispatching with that company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Clareman wrote: »
    I'll ask the DAA for the information, I'll share it if I get it
    And it will be genuinely interesting if there is something.

But straight up, I'm wondering what role the DAA has in instructing Shannon Airport on the content of its advertising.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Balf wrote: »
    And it will be genuinely interesting if there is something.

But straight up, I'm wondering what role the DAA has in instructing Shannon Airport on the content of its advertising.

You'd imagine there'd be an overall strategy for all the airports to adhere to as well as a code of conduct and branding guidelines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Clareman wrote: »
    You'd imagine there'd be an overall strategy for all the airports to adhere to as well as a code of conduct and branding guidelines.

Why? Other than Dublin and Cork, who are both under the same ownership, all the other airports are competing against each other for business.

I'd agree with Balf that if any guidelines did exist, they'd have nothing to do with the DAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

People seem to forget the degree of influence the DAA has over Shane Ross & his Dept.

Stanford wrote: »
    People seem to forget the degree of influence the DAA has over Shane Ross & his Dept.

Are we talking about the same Shane Ross who has said that he wants to break the DAAs monopoly at Dublin Airport and wants an independent third terminal against the wishes of the DAA?
    He's a terrible minister, but he's not under the influence of the DAA.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

The free 15 Mins parking can only be used once. Had to pay 3 euro after I left after 12 mins and went back in with a new ticket when the Oh arrived. How long has this been happening? Seems petty

Are we talking about the same Shane Ross who has said that he wants to break the DAAs monopoly at Dublin Airport and wants an independent third terminal against the wishes of the DAA?
    He's a terrible minister, but he's not under the influence of the DAA.

Indeed we are, the same Minister who turned to be as bad as the rest of them when his arse stuck to the seat of the Merc once elected, him of Stepaside Garda Station fame and buddy of Ms Hynes, Chairman of the Shannon Group about whom he wrote a scathing article when working as a hack for the Sunday Independant.

Indeed we are, the same Minister who turned to be as bad as the rest of them when his arse stuck to the seat of the Merc once elected, him of Stepaside Garda Station fame and buddy of Ms Hynes, Chairman of the Shannon Group about whom he wrote a scathing article when working as a hack for the Sunday Independant.

So where's the influence from the DAA that he's under?

• Advertisement

Recently announcing capital investments for Regional airports that don't compete with Dublin and no investment for Shannon, this includes money for Waterford which hasn't had a flight in several years

Recently announcing capital investments for Regional airports that don't compete with Dublin and no investment for Shannon, this includes money for Waterford which hasn't had a flight in several years

None of the airports are competing with Dublin. Dublin had 31m passengers last year. Between them Shannon, Cork, Knock and Kerry had 5m.

And Dublin didn't get any capital investment money from the government either. It pays for everything itself.

Oh and Shannon isn't a regional airport, so isn't in line for any of that funding.

You're seeing things that aren't there.

Perhaps but the investment in Shannon related to IATA security requirements which were mandatory, what is the justification for money for IWAK which is privately owned?

Or Waterford which hasn't had a scheduled flight since June 2016..!!

Perhaps but the investment in Shannon related to IATA security requirements which were mandatory, what is the justification for money for IWAK which is privately owned?
    Or Waterford which hasn't had a scheduled flight since June 2016..!!

Neither has anything to do with the DAA. They're decision made by DTTAS and Ross. I'd suggest if you're going to continue on this line, you'd get better traction in the conspiracy theories forum.

Fair enough, point taken

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Here is the difference in marketing. Dublin airport jumped immediately to market itself as ”a key gateway for the Ryder cup”, where as Shannon released just a press statement the day after the announcement. It’s subtle, but says a lot.

Dublin is the key gateway. Like it or not most of the visitors will travel through Dublin. Shannon needs more routes, but outside of charters will never have the business to get the regular routes that will bring most of the expected 250k visitors.

And TBH a tweet send 7 years before the event, when flights can't be booked until early 2026 is going to make zero difference to where visitors enter the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Ryder Cup will boost regional economy and Shannon Airport traffic (Shannon Airport)

Great news and a great opportunity to market its US Pre-Clearance For Private Aircraft.

4885159241_7f0c6433e2_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Your probably not up to speed, yes IWAK is privately owned. Privately owned in a trust for the people of the west of Ireland i.e. Irish taxpayers. There is no profit going to any individual. IWAK is probably just ran better than Shannon.

As for Shannon who got one of the most sweetheart deals possible from the government. If they don't get more funding for another 50 years it wouldn't make up for what was given as part of that deal( A yearly rent roll from state properties and land which is more funding that all the other non Dublin airports put together).

Whine away but Shannon is a prime example that you cannot force people to use an airport that they don't want to use, no matter how many millions is thrown/wasted at it.

Obviously too late now but there should of always been just the 3 airports. Dublin, IWAK(suitable location due to the low population density region) and one between Cork and Limerick cities(large enough to be give comprehensive destinations).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Welcome back mayomaffia!

Always fascinates me that you think your local airport of less than a million passengers has more of a right to be there than two much larger airports elsewhere in the country (well out of your turf may I add)

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Welcome back mayomaffia!

Always fascinates me that you think your local airport of less than a million passengers has more of a right to be there than two much larger airports elsewhere in the country (well out of your turf may I add)

Its Logical, there are 4 airports in Munster(Kerry, Shannon, Cork and Waterford). All of them are struggling. Munster is not that big that it needs 4 airports, Leinster has 1 and only IWAK for the rest of the country. One airport in the center of the population areas of Munster could serve all those areas well and would be a well served good sized airport.

As for IWAK obviously by its ever increasing numbers its well located for the West, North west and the North. Helps that there is no other airports competing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Its Logical, there are 4 airports in Munster(Kerry, Shannon, Cork and Waterford). All of them are struggling. Munster is not that big that it needs 4 airports, Leinster has 1 and only IWAK for the rest of the country. One airport in the center of the population areas of Munster could serve all those areas well and would be a well served good sized airport.

As for IWAK obviously by its ever increasing numbers its well located for the West, North west and the North. Helps that there is no other airports competing with it.

If you're going to be counting Waterford, then you need to add Galway into your rant too.

If you're going to be counting Waterford, then you need to add Galway into your rant too.

Did Galway recently get a government grant for its airport ? No. Thought not.

As for Shannon who got one of the most sweetheart deals possible from the government. If they don't get more funding for another 50 years it wouldn't make up for what was given as part of that deal( A yearly rent roll from state properties and land which is more funding that all the other non Dublin airports put together).

Could not disagree with you more. Dublin got Shannon's ARI €500+ million company in a ridiculous trade off for its debt.

Shannon Group itself has to rejuvenate large empty industrial buildings from the 1950/60s because they don't meet todays needs of attracting new tenants.
    Aer Rianta International 'The Greatest Con Job' (Clare Champion)

Founding director of ARI Liam Skelly never wastes a good media opportunity to highlight his dissatisfaction with the transfer of ARI from Shannon to Dublin . . . "Shannon has subsidised Dublin"

shannon-airport-gets-country-s-first-high-tech-fire-tenders.jpg

Shannon Airport gets country first high-tech fire tenders (News Talk)

Shannon Airport has become the first airport in Ireland to take delivery of two new state-of-the-art High Reach Extendable Turret (HRET) fire tenders.

Conventional fire tenders require that firefighters be put into the risk area to fight fires.

However, the new HRET reduces this risk, as fires can be extinguished remotely by operating it from the vehicle cab.

The tenders are also equipped with a thermal imaging camera, to allow firefighters identify the hottest part of the aircraft.

Commenting on the new equipment, Mr O'Brien adds: "It was of paramount importance to the management team at Shannon Airport to ensure the safety of passengers and staff, and the new fire tenders have additional safety benefits for both airport fire service staff and passengers."

"Also for aviation firefighting, at the end of the HRET there is a piercing nozzle.

"If you have an internal fire in a cargo hold of an aircraft, rather than commit a team into the risk area, with your thermal imaging camera, you can identify where the heat source is, and you can penetrate the part of the hold where the fire is with the piercing tool.

"It literally can pierce through the aluminium of the aircraft. Then you can apply water or foam internally on the fire."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Did Galway recently get a government grant for its airport ? No. Thought not.

Did it apply for one?

United Airlines flight UA965 from Naples to New York directed to Shannon today.

Reason unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

United Airlines flight UA965 from Naples to New York directed to Shannon today.

Reason unknown.

Planned fuel and lav service stop I believe.

Advertisement