Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Shannon runway currently closed with Omni 777 on runway with landing gear being well cooled by fire crews. Assume it was a heavy landing, about 06:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

tv221 wrote: »
    Shannon runway currently closed with Omni 777 on runway with landing gear being well cooled by fire crews. Assume it was a heavy landing, about 06:30

It's a 767 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

tv221 wrote: »

One of the wheels caught fire. Everyone off and ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Operations have resumed just now

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

mdmix wrote: »

2 from shannon it says, wonder which two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The only 2 they operate?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

New York and Boston. The two transatlantic route out of Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

the sooner them military flights are gone out of shannon the better

the sooner them military flights are gone out of shannon the better

Why?

closed the whole airport today canx a london heathrow and american airlines, the 2 early ryanairs went about 7 hours delayed united, delta and the two aer lingus' went delayed. It would be more in their line worry about our own passengers then these stupid transit flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

closed the whole airport today canx a london heathrow and american airlines, the 2 early ryanairs went about 7 hours delayed united, delta and the two aer lingus' went delayed. It would be more in their line worry about our own passengers then these stupid transit flights.

Are you going to pay the salaries of the people who’s jobs would be lost if the military pulled out? Kuwait pulling out took enough of a negative toll on the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

If military flights didn't use Shannon the airport would be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

most of them american flights are gone in the next month or 2 when the winter schedule kicks in & them flights will be nearly the only flights keeping the place open

• Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Surely an incident can happen to any aircraft of any airline sometime?

Suggesting that this is exclusive to military transit flights is a nonsense.

Shn99 wrote: »
    Are you going to pay the salaries of the people who’s jobs would be lost if the military pulled out? Kuwait pulling out took enough of a negative toll on the airport

Oh you're one of these that work there is it? How well Cork, Knock and Belfast city airport can cope without needing transit flights and similar enough pax numbers, money hungry-ness. Refurbished the airport the last three years are hardly an extra pax through the door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Oh you're one of these that work there is it? How well Cork, Knock and Belfast city airport can cope without needing transit flights and similar enough pax numbers, money hungry-ness. Refurbished the airport the last three years are hardly an extra pax through the door

No I don’t work there, but know people that do and who would be effected if they were to leave. The US Military flights have to refuel somewhere and Shannon is the perfect location for them to do so along with having the appropriate facilities

I work there and can guarantee the airport would be closed within 2 years if all the military traffic stopped.

What if it was a Ryanair it happened to? Would you be as quick to evict them too?

I work there and can guarantee the airport would be closed within 2 years if all the military traffic stopped.

They didnt get on too bad when they had to close the runway during the night there last year and all the omni flights had to go to germany, considering the majority of them come in during the night

www.independent.ie/irish-news/lucky-escape-after-planes-nose-wheel-collapses-on-landing-26752714.html

Get rid of aer lingus while we're at it. 6 hours closure that day too.

• Advertisement

They didnt get on too bad when they had to close the runway during the night there last year and all the omni flights had to go to germany, considering the majority of them come in during the night

Why are you trying to spread lies?

Plenty of Omni and other military flights still landed during that time, I should know considering I was working on them.

What if it was a Ryanair it happened to? Would you be as quick to evict them too?

go back and read my second comment crator, I said it would be more in their line to worry bout pax flights which ryanair is then these transit flights that only cause controversy

Why are you trying to spread lies?

Plenty of Omni and other military flights still landed during that time, I should know considering I was working on them.

i said the majority of them came in during the night is that a lie????

go back and read my second comment crator, I said it would be more in their line to worry bout pax flights which ryanair is then these transit flights that only cause controversy

Do you think these transit flights don't bring money to the airport and the region? Are you really that clueless?

i said the majority of them came in during the night is that a lie????

Yes.

Unless of course I have imagined all the Omni flights during daylight hours I've seen and been involved with over the last years

Do you think these transit flights don't bring money to the airport and the region? Are you really that clueless?

Do you think these transit flights don't bring controversy to the region, trust me there no fear of shannon and money as uve seen with all the work thats been done

Yes.

Unless of course I have imagined all the Omni flights during daylight hours I've seen and been involved with over the last years

have u been there to during the unsociable hours to see them land, the one last night came in at around 2am

Do you think these transit flights don't bring controversy to the region, trust me there no fear of shannon and money as uve seen with all the work thats been done

I couldn't give a flying sh*te what a bunch of crusty jobless freaks think of these military flights.

What I do know is they have kept me and many others in a job which has meant we are able to provide for our families. The airport needs them and the longer they are here the better.

have u been there to during the unsociable hours to see them land, the one last night came in at around 2am

Believe me, I have worked at every possibly hour in the airport. I can even tell you the one that came in at that hour last night was the one that had the issue a few hours later. What about the other 2 that transited through yesterday morning/afternoon?

I know what hours they come in and i can guarantee that if you did out an average over the course of a year it would be 5-1 at least when comparing daytime flights to nighttime(12am-6am).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

None of this frankly is relevant to the closure of the runway this morning which was what was being discussed.

An aircraft of any airline could have an incident that required the emergency procedures to kick in and the runway being closed.

It is certainly not unique to the military flights.

Advertisement