Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

lemonkey wrote: »
    Right. It just sounded a bit strange, fly to the destination to see if you can get in. I've no convictions so I'm not worried about the pre-clearance, I was more worried about how much time it may eat up. At least if it's in New York it doesn't really matter how long it takes.

Thanks for the reply.

Last time I did it in JFK I was queueing for about 90 mins and another 10 then getting grilled by officials after. Not pleasant, so be prepared and patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

IBZ, BRS, EMA with FR axed for summer 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

Shn99 wrote: »
    IBZ, BRS, EMA with FR axed for summer 2020

Can’t understand why they axed Ibiza, always full

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Doubt there would be a big demand in Winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Was looking for a little winter getaway from Shannon to contintal europe, the options were unbelievably limited. Even at that a lot of flights were going just once or twice a week at most.

With the above axed flights next Summer you would really wonder what the future holds.

For the completely uninitiated like myself, is this purely lack of demand? Is there more to it in terms of landing fees? Management..

Edit.

I have reason to travel to Dublin airport a few times a year to travel to a polish city not served by Shannon. There is easily 20 to 30 people taking the citilink bus from Galway alone for this flight. Everyone in Galway would take Shannon over Dublin any day of the week for convenience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hondabanner

ISOP wrote: »
    Doubt there would be a big demand in Winter

For next summer it’s only a seasonal route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

For next summer it’s only a seasonal route

Surprised with that I know a few at work who used it this summer and were hoping to go back next year. was a good route to get the airport in the mind of younger passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

TBH I was quiet surprised to see them start it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

The flight was always or sometimes half full of undesirables. The lads would back me up on this. U wouldn't want to be going with a Family
    The other 2 the times were crap times they were going at. The main issue is Ryanair are short of planes now. So its "Robbing Peter to pay Paul "type of Situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The flight was always or sometimes half full of undesirables. The lads would back me up on this. U wouldn't want to be going with a Family
    The other 2 the times were crap times they were going at. The main issue is Ryanair are short of planes now. So its "Robbing Peter to pay Paul "type of Situation

It was operated by a Shannon based aircraft though. So instead of flying to Ibiza next summer, it will just sit on the ground instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

i think the problem you are describing about undesirables is the same on any flight to Ibiza, from any airport in Ireland or the UK

its a real shame the route is gone as its probably the only route that young people in the region would be interested in from Shannon. i think a lot of younger people are so used to flying from dublin at this stage that they dont even consider shannon when they go to book a flight. i think a lot of us in this forum know its a lot easier to fly from shannon, but there is probably a generation of people from the mid-west/west who have never flown from shannon because of the poor connectivity to europe. Hopefully Barcelona is still available next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It was operated by a Shannon based aircraft though. So instead of flying to Ibiza next summer, it will just sit on the ground instead.

Not quite, remember that bases are gone in the canaries, faro has been reduced, so the aircraft that ran the cancelled flights may be needed to operate some to Lanzarote/Faro/Tenerife etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Is this part of the problem?
    https://www.seancanney.com/canney-welcomes-early-opening-motorway/

The new motorway will enhance connectivity to Dublin and Shannon, reducing travel time to Shannon Airport by up to 20 minutes and over 30 minutes to Dublin Airport, and will make the route much more attractive for people in Mayo and Sligo, especially as the route is toll-free.
    While the M17 might have been expected to make Shannon Airport more accessible, it also makes Dublin Airport more accessible, too.

The M17 has been open for two years now. It doesn't seem to be sending floods more passengers to Shannon, if these routes are being curtailed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Funnily enough I was speaking to someone in Dublin yesterday from Tuam who was flying over to London, I asked why they didn't travel from Shannon and they said they didn't even consider it cause Dublin was only up the road and had far more options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

i wonder did shannon market themselves at all when the new road opened? granted anywhere north of galway would never be a huge market (for shannon) but a short simple add campaign could have made a huge difference if launched the same time as the road opened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Balf wrote: »
    Is this part of the problem?While the M17 might have been expected to make Shannon Airport more accessible, it also makes Dublin Airport more accessible, too.

The M17 has been open for two years now. It doesn't seem to be sending floods more passengers to Shannon, if these routes are being curtailed.

Galway people are just used to using DUB. They already had the M6/M4 and around 50 buses a day taking them to Dublin before the M17/18 opened. Shannon never had the route selection break their DUB habit and draw them down the M18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The CSO statistics for May are out.

I was able to calculate the June figures from the 2nd Quarter figures.

491742.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Galway people are just used to using DUB. They already had the M6/M4 and around 50 buses a day taking them to Dublin before the M17/18 opened. Shannon never had the route selection break their DUB habit and draw them down the M18.

As a Galway man, I and everyone I know would always go for Shannon over Dublin if at all possible.

Unfortunately, more often than not it is not possible.

Dublin may only be a 2 hour spin up the road but between tolls, check-in lines, crazy security lines and then a 5 mile walk to the departure gate it is a disaster. Especially with kids in tow.

Add another 30 or 40 minutes minimum if your flight means you hit traffic at the wrong time in the morning/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

10942505655_a67ea4f517_o.jpg

Shannon’s Westpark business campus sold for over €50m (Clare Herald)

Fine Grain Property, the Irish-owned business park operator and investor, has announced an agreement to purchase the 40-acre Westpark business campus in Shannon from Westpark Shannon Ltd. for in excess of €50m.

The business campus, established in 2005, is home to some 50 companies and 2,000 employees, and has planning permission in place for a further 300,000 sqft of tailored office space.

Westpark business campus, ideally located next to Shannon Airport (and around two hours from Dublin Airport), offers global connectivity and the high-quality facilities and surroundings that businesses and their employees expect. Fine Grain Property is purchasing all of Westpark business campus except for one building which is owned and occupied by Axa insurance.

The fact that planning permission is already in place and that the site is ‘shovel ready’ for another sizeable tranche of office space, which we will develop in line with our clients’ needs, means that it also presents a considerable long-term opportunity for us.”

Fine Grain Property seem to have deep pockets which is what is needed here to complete the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Hopefully sees construction restart.

More people working in area can only help airport.

Very tough for management to make any strong plays for new routes while Boeing issue is ongoing

• Advertisement

Westpark business campus, ideally located next to Shannon Airport (and around two hours from Dublin Airport)
    I found the reference to Dublin Airport remarkable, in the context.

This is actually how they promote it
    https://westparkshannon.com/europe/

Westpark Shannon Ireland is centred between the two university cities of Limerick and Galway and is just 2 hours from Dublin Airport by motorway and 5 minutes from Shannon Airport.
    If proximity to Dublin Airport is being cited as a benefit by a business park right beside Shannon Airport, it raises more than a few thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

DL207 Pulled out today at 11.27am.

That's Delta seasonal wrapped until May 2nd 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

knockon wrote: »
    DL207 Pulled out today at 11.27am.

That's Delta seasonal wrapped until May 2nd 2020.

And AA finished yesterday morning, quiet times coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/jet-forces-to-dump-thousands-of-litres-of-fuel-then-aborted-landing-at-shannon-954033.html
    30/09/2019 - 18:45:00 Back to Shannon Ireland
    By Patrick Flynn

A transatlantic cargo flight was forced to return to Shannon Airport with a technical issue this afternoon and then had to abort its first attempt at landing.

Western Global Airlines flight 2101 had just taken off for Columbus, Ohio in the United States (U.S.) when the crew had to turn around.

The crew of the McDonnell Douglas MD-11F cargo jet reported they had problems with their navigation systems and wished to return to the airport.

The flight had taken off at around 2.38pm and was overhead Co Galway when the crew advised air traffic controllers of their issue.

The crew also confirmed they would need to dump aviation fuel before returning to land at Shannon.

This was to ensure the aircraft touched down within safe landing weight limits.

The flight levelled off at 20,000ft and routed south for almost 200 kilometres over counties Clare, Kerry and Cork.

The crew spent about 20 minutes dumping fuel before commencing an approach to Shannon.

While the crew did not declare an emergency, airport fire and rescue crews were placed on standby at Shannon ahead of the jet’s arrival.

The flight was less than a minute from landing at Shannon when the pilots confirmed they were carrying out a ‘missed approach’ and climbed again.

It is understood they opted to abort the landing and ‘go around’ as a result of the poor visibility at the airport at the time.

The flight was routed around for a second attempt at landing before touching down safely at 3.53pm.

The aircraft was pursued along the runway by airport fire crews and accompanied to the terminal where engineers were waiting to investigate the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Any other announcements regarding 2020 due. Do we expect to hear from Aer Lingus?

Tiernster7 wrote: »
    Any other announcements regarding 2020 due. Do we expect to hear from Aer Lingus?

I've heard whisperings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I've heard whisperings

Can never trust Aer Lingus entirely cause they always change their mind.

Can never trust Aer Lingus entirely cause they always change their mind.

Most certainly

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1002/1079593-dublin-airports-dominance-at-expense-of-regions/

I hate this negative campaigning. It's senseless, and only fueled by independent Shannon's failure to deliver meaningful growth (unlike privately owned Knock, and DAA owned Cork).

So they pay "Copenhagen Economics" to say "Dublin's too big".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Denmark

By-the-by, Denmark has annual passenger traffic of about 34.7m at its civilian airports. 84% of that traffic (29m passengers) used Copenhagen Airport.

There's only two other airports of note in Denmark. One has about 3m passengers, and the other about 1.4.

Denmark is pretty clear that Copenhagen Airport is a national asset, making their country globally connected, while at the same time being very committed to regional development. It's almost as if they understand that, if the country hasn't a bean, there's no point in talking about any kind of development, regional or otherwise.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/as/aviationstatisticsquarter4andyear2018/

Ireland has about 36.5m passengers, 86% of them using Dublin.

Dublin has over 31m passengers, Cork about 2.4m and Shannon about 1.8m.

No real difference between the pattern in Ireland and Denmark. So why do we care about what Copenhagen Economics say in a report apparently paid for by Limerick, Shannon, Ennis and Galway Chambers?

Could those Chambers find a better use of their time doing something to actually promote more use of Shannon Airport by their members?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Balf wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1002/1079593-dublin-airports-dominance-at-expense-of-regions/

I hate this negative campaigning. It's senseless, and only fueled by independent Shannon's failure to deliver meaningful growth (unlike privately owned Knock, and DAA owned Cork).

So they pay "Copenhagen Economics" to say "Dublin's too big".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Denmark

By-the-by, Denmark has annual passenger traffic of about 34.7m at its civilian airports. 84% of that traffic (29m passengers) used Copenhagen Airport.

There's only two other airports of note in Denmark. One has about 3m passengers, and the other about 1.4.

Denmark is pretty clear that Copenhagen Airport is a national asset, making their country globally connected, while at the same time being very committed to regional development. It's almost as if they understand that, if the country hasn't a bean, there's no point in talking about any kind of development, regional or otherwise.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/as/aviationstatisticsquarter4andyear2018/

Ireland has about 36.5m passengers, 86% of them using Dublin.

Dublin has over 31m passengers, Cork about 2.4m and Shannon about 1.8m.

No real difference between the pattern in Ireland and Denmark. So why do we care about what Copenhagen Economics say in a report apparently paid for by Limerick, Shannon, Ennis and Galway Chambers?

Could those Chambers find a better use of their time doing something to actually promote more use of Shannon Airport by their members?

I wouldn't be holding up Denmark of a good example of regional development. The country is empty outside of Copenhagen, similar to the way Ireland has developed. The stated policy of successive governements here is to try and prevent that unbalanced growth and having Dublin hoover up every bit of investment is not healthy. Unless of course you're in favour of having one small corner of Ireland completely dominating the rest of the country?

I travel to Denmark quite a lot and chatting to people in Jutland tells me there is enormous frustration in the country that they usually have to drive anywhere from 3 to 6 hours to access flights or pay excessive amounts for internal flights from Aalborg or Esbjerg.

Advertisement