Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

No new capacity increases but Lauda will operate the 3rd weekly SNN-PMI (commencing 6th of June) and of course Malta Air will be operating the SNN-VIE route under their own AL callsign. Nice to see more variety around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Nationwide Monday 27th January

In this programme we see the brand new free "find my plane" service offered by the Irish Aviation Authority from Ballygirreen in Co. Clare so that no commercial plane can ever be lost again in a crash situation. We hear the miraculous rescue of a pilot from the sea a few weeks ago using the new system and we look back at the great aviation heritage at Foynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for December are out.

502122.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

We oppose the routine use of Shannon Airport as a stop-over the US military. Well i wont wont be voting for these twats anyway Social Democrats. Airport will be closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What?

And Shannon isn't in any way reliant on US military traffic, it's relatively infrequent nowadays.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What?

And Shannon isn't in any way reliant on US military traffic, it's relatively infrequent nowadays.
    Money is still money look @ the bigger picture, the jobs it creates, with crews stopping over in hotels mini buses. the fuel, duty free, catering. thats means nothing no ???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's not particularly a massive issue, I don't have any massive objections to them being there, nor would I be incontent if they stopped landing in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What?

Infrequent? Not sure who told you that but they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

We oppose the routine use of Shannon Airport as a stop-over the US military. Well i wont wont be voting for these twats anyway Social Democrats. Airport will be closed down

Can you define "we"? I'm sick and tired of people hijacking other people's opinions by using the word 'we'.

Lets be 100% clear, I'm Irish and a Clareman and I do not on either account give you and your kind permission to speak on my behalf in any forum.

Deagol wrote: »
    Can you define "we"? I'm sick and tired of people hijacking other people's opinions by using the word 'we'.

Lets be 100% clear, I'm Irish and a Clareman and I do not on either account give you and your kind permission to speak on my behalf in any forum.

That's whats On Social Democrats Manifesto. So take the issue up with them twats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What makes me laugh about people objecting to the US Army using Shannon, or other Irish airports, do you think the US Army will just stop going overseas because Irish airports aren't available to them? Of course they won't so why not have the money come to our pockets that to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Clareman wrote: »
    What makes me laugh about people objecting to the US Army using Shannon, or other Irish airports, do you think the US Army will just stop going overseas because Irish airports aren't available to them? Of course they won't so why not have the money come to our pockets that to others?

"Junkie's going to shoot up whether he buys the drugs from me or from someone else, at least this way I get paid'

Neutral, blah blah blah. They're a joke and nobody should really pay any attention to them. They'll have their usual pathetic protest tomorrow, I quite enjoy abusing them as I drive by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

What's even funnier is, that the Airport is available to any military that wants to use it, as long as they pay.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    What's even funnier is, that the Airport is available to any military that wants to use it, as long as they pay.

And a lot of other nations military do use it, just not as frequently as the Americans and without any of the vitriol thrown at them.

Neutral, blah blah blah. They're a joke and nobody should really pay any attention to them. They'll have their usual pathetic protest tomorrow, I quite enjoy abusing them as I drive by.

Aww **** I forgot about that tmw

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

keane2097 wrote: »
    "Junkie's going to shoot up whether he buys the drugs from me or from someone else, at least this way I get paid'

More like a smoker is going to smoke whether he buys his cigerettes from me or somone else, at least this way I get paid.

Just because you object to something doesn't mean it shouldn't happen, if the state was to object to the US military using of Irish airports/seaports and it was to pass through our democratically elected processes then by all means stop it but until then get the f**k over it and get on with your life, if you are that adamant against it then get elected and see if the majority of the people are with you on your cause.

I have been through the airport 100s of times when there was a military group of some sort passing through and if it wasn't for the uniforms you wouldn't notice them, considering that some of the people passing through will never see their loved ones again I'm glad of the facilities that the airport allows some of them, free wifi for example for them to contact their families.

mrsoundie wrote: »

We are an equal opportunity facility, anyones money will do us.

Anyone else remember the airshow in the airport in the early 90s? There was a mock battle between a Spitfire and another WW2 plane, could you imagine the uproar over that now, I still remember walking through the Galaxy class aircraft carrier

There's one sad, lonely, pathetic individual standing at the entrance to the airport(before Starbucks) now with a sign saying "Ireland is Neutral".

There's one sad, lonely, pathetic individual standing at the entrance to the airport(before Starbucks) now with a sign saying "Ireland is Neutral".

Its alright i got him with the car :D:D:D feckin speed bumps:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Funny thing is, we're not actually a neutral country. Technically we're non aligned (but we definitely lean on the side of the Western powers). We can join any conflict once the triple lock is activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

We are an equal opportunity facility, anyones money will do us.

Anyone else remember the airshow in the airport in the early 90s? There was a mock battle between a Spitfire and another WW2 plane, could you imagine the uproar over that now, I still remember walking through the Galaxy class aircraft carrier

Yes, I walked through the Galaxy same day .... I rem. it was a really hot and sunny day ... a member of an Italian? display team crashed on runway (not 06 / 24) after premature wheels up on take off .....

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

On the military use, I remember a report from maybe around 2004ish, Shannon made a profit of €3m, if you discounted military use the loss would have been €7m!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

marzic wrote: »
      On the military use, I remember a report from maybe around 2004ish, Shannon made a profit of €3m, if you discounted military use the loss would have been €7m!
      Source?

1. Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

13 Feb 2020 Nassau (NAS) London (LHR) BA252 — 21:40 22:09 11:00
      Diverted to SNN
      BA 777 Just coming in to land. Reasons unknown at moment

2. Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

tv221 wrote: »
      13 Feb 2020 Nassau (NAS) London (LHR) BA252 — 21:40 22:09 11:00
      Diverted to SNN
      BA 777 Just coming in to land. Reasons unknown at moment

Medical ðŸ‘

3. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Not Airport specific, but Customs and Excise need their heads examined if they thing this morning was a good idea.

4. Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McSween

Not Airport specific, but Customs and Excise need their heads examined if they thing this morning was a good idea.

I stopped before boarding the exit for Shannon. Who knows how long the line of cars eventually formed. I wonder have these people brains.

5. Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Ennisman

McSween wrote: »
      I stopped before boarding the exit for Shannon. Who knows how long the line of cars eventually formed. I wonder have these people brains.

Customs, RSA and Garda. Big hold-ups alright.

6. Advertisement
    7. Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Acosta

We're meant to be neutral so it is a legitimate protest whether you're fine with foreign military using it or not.

Just wondering, do Shannon count all the military personal going through the airport in their passenger annual figures?

Advertisement