Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Looks like UA 121 .... BCN - EWR IS diverting to SNN ....

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Looks like UA 121 .... BCN - EWR IS diverting to SNN .... on short finals now ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

McSween wrote: »
    I stopped before boarding the exit for Shannon. Who knows how long the line of cars eventually formed. I wonder have these people brains.

It was backed up past next exit in either direction. Utter lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

where was it on the dual carraige way stretch as u are coming into shannon of the 2 motorway exits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

where was it on the dual carraige way stretch as u are coming into shannon of the 2 motorway exits

Yep, about half way to the Smithstown turn off

• Advertisement

Yep, about half way to the Smithstown turn off
    thanks thats the usual place so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

00139bd6-800.jpg

New Aer Lingus plane for Shannon-New York route (RTE)

The Aer Lingus Shannon service to New York returns today (Thursday) with a new more fuel efficient aircraft with reduced fuel needs, a quieter engine and cheaper landing charges as a result.

The A321 Neo LR long range-aircraft, which can carry 186 passengers and crew including 16 business class passengers, resumes service to New York today after a month long winter break in service.

The service operates six days a week until March 4 when it returns to a daily service, when the year round Boston-Shannon service also goes from a six day to a daily service.

The new aircraft is 20% more fuel efficient than existing aircraft and has 50% reduced engine noise than the current A321 CEO, which also means reduced landing charges which are based on noise levels.

tv221 wrote: »
    13 Feb 2020 Nassau (NAS) London (LHR) BA252 — 21:40 22:09 11:00
    Diverted to SNN
    BA 777 Just coming in to land. Reasons unknown at moment
    hobie14 wrote: »
    Looks like UA 121 .... BCN - EWR IS diverting to SNN .... on short finals now ...

Two medical diversions to Shannon Airport (Clare Herald)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

00139bd6-800.jpg

New Aer Lingus plane for Shannon-New York route (RTE)

The Aer Lingus Shannon service to New York returns today (Thursday) with a new more fuel efficient aircraft with reduced fuel needs, a quieter engine and cheaper landing charges as a result.

The A321 Neo LR long range-aircraft, which can carry 186 passengers and crew including 16 business class passengers, resumes service to New York today after a month long winter break in service.

The service operates six days a week until March 4 when it returns to a daily service, when the year round Boston-Shannon service also goes from a six day to a daily service.

The new aircraft is 20% more fuel efficient than existing aircraft and has 50% reduced engine noise than the current A321 CEO, which also means reduced landing charges which are based on noise levels.

It's odd that they're launching this as new when the A321neo LR has been doing the Boston service for the last couple of months.

It's odd that they're launching this as new when the A321neo LR has been doing the Boston service for the last couple of months.

Okay, Aer Lingus launches its second new aircraft at Shannon.

Good to get the improved quality of the new aircraft serving these routes promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'd imagine the idea behind this advertisment is to highlight that New York is back over a month early.

Definitely strange that they're making a bigger deal now than they did when they put the first A321 in Shannon, but live and let live I suppose. Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The timing was just awful for sure.
    Right in the middle of the morning work commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Okay, Aer Lingus launches its second new aircraft at Shannon.

Good to get the improved quality of the new aircraft serving these routes promoted.

I’ve been on one of these planes going to/from Boston. Three toilets at the back but only one toilet (at start of galley) available to the whole of economy until after the meal was served. Resulted in queues for the loo. After the meal they allowed access to the other two which are situated at the back of the galley.

The toilets at the front were available to business class only.

I’ve been on one of these planes going to/from Boston. Three toilets at the back but only one toilet (at start of galley) available to the whole of economy until after the meal was served. Resulted in queues for the loo. After the meal they allowed access to the other two which are situated at the back of the galley.

The toilets at the front were available to business class only.

That's daft, two of the three toilets serving 170 economy seats are closed during parts of the flight.

Then did this occur on both the outward and inward flights?

That's daft, two of the three toilets serving 170 economy seats are closed during parts of the flight.

probally trying to cook & serve food & people in & out of the jacks beside you doesnt really help. & some people not washing their hands after coming out touching things u could be using not the best way be getting food ready

If memory serves it did. No passengers in the back two rows either and staff were using the space to sort out cups etc before the tea service.

Plane seems more suited for short haul where meal service wouldn’t cause an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

While these aircraft are technically capable of flying transatlantic routes, narrow bodied aircraft in general are not really suited to anything other than short haul for this reason.

I guess they serve their purpose in that without them most, if not all, of the remaining transatlantic services from Shannon would end. However, I'd imagine they're a factor in a lot of people around the country choosing Dublin over Shannon for transatlantic trips. While Shannon is an easier airport to navigate it's just not worth it for seven hours on an A321.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

While these aircraft are technically capable of flying transatlantic routes, narrow bodied aircraft in general are not really suited to anything other than short haul for this reason.

I guess they serve their purpose in that without them most, if not all, of the remaining transatlantic services from Shannon would end. However, I'd imagine they're a factor in a lot of people around the country choosing Dublin over Shannon for transatlantic trips. While Shannon is an easier airport to navigate it's just not worth it for seven hours on an A321.

Only two of the 14 A321neos that EI will eventually receive will be Shannon based. They rest will be flying thin East Coast routes from Dublin. The same as the 757s have been for the last numbers of years.

The US carriers use 757s ex Dublin transatlantic too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The majority of it is simple ignorance. “Ah sure Shannon Airport is ****e you can’t fly anywhere from there” and proceed to book from Dublin without checking any other airports.

You’d often have it in Cork. People booking flights from Dublin without checking Cork first and then complaining about it. You’d be surprised at how many people don’t realise you can fly to Amsterdam from Cork or Berlin from Kerry and only find out when they complain to someone else about the trek to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Only two of the 14 A321neos that EI will eventually receive will be Shannon based. They rest will be flying thin East Coast routes from Dublin. The same as the 757s have been for the last numbers of years.

The US carriers use 757s ex Dublin transatlantic too.

I know but the point I was making is that, in terms of the EI routes from Shannon, the same destinations are served by widebodies from Dublin. The narrowbodies at Dublin, as far as I'm aware, generally serve routes that aren't available from Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

What do you not get on an A321 that you get on a widebody?

Personally if I am booking a flight the aircraft doesnt bother me.

easypazz wrote: »
    What do you not get on an A321 that you get on a widebody?

Personally if I am booking a flight the aircraft doesnt bother me.

The only issue I had with the plane was there only being one toilet available for the whole of economy till after the meal was served.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

So you're saying the manufacturers build these with 3000km ranges for the laugh because they're not intended to actually fly this far??

And I doubt the majority of punters care a less or know in advance of arriving at the airport what type of aircraft they're on. For that matter I'd doubt that more than 20% of people know or care after they've been on it!

Anyone I know outside regular business travellers like myself doesn't look at anything beyond price and convenience and departure times (in that order).

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440|1,316|19,296
    2018|1,301|1,200|1,368|1,575|1,829|2,098|2,104|1,949|2,066|1,858|1,385|1,369|20,102
    2019|1,246|1,087|1,320|1,444|1,836|1,951|1,976|1,843|1,974|1,738|1,254|1,191|18,833
    2020|1,221||||||||||||
    Change|-2.0%||||||||||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Ryanair SNN-MAN going daily from the beginning of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mart 23

What kind of flight landings and departures make up Shannon commercial numbers monthly. Is it all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Shn99 wrote: »
    Ryanair SNN-MAN going daily from the beginning of June.

Good news and a little more evidence of Shannon's relationship with Ryanair beginning to improve again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Ryanair flight just did a go-around at Shannon, why is he tracking that way?

Second go-around now

• Advertisement

Heading East and climbing, diverted to Dublin?

Advertisement