Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

If you've flown Ryanair from Shannon you'll know that any possibility of social distancing goes out the window once you go down the stairs to the very cramped boarding gate area.
    There's also the issue of incoming passengers queuing at passport control and at the luggage carousels

It's all well and good having a large terminal, but the airside pinch points still exist.

With some imagination I think the size of the terminal can be leveraged for a better SD solution. Whether it would be a good investment is a different question. Passport control the area that requires the most thought I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440|1,316|19,296
    2018|1,301|1,200|1,368|1,575|1,829|2,098|2,104|1,949|2,066|1,858|1,385|1,369|20,102
    2019|1,246|1,087|1,320|1,444|1,836|1,951|1,976|1,843|1,974|1,738|1,254|1,191|18,833
    2020|1,221|1,179|691|261|||||||||
    Change|-2.0%|+8.5%|-47.7%|-81.9%|||||||||

SNNUS wrote: »
    No the airport is temporarily closed 2200-0600 at the moment.

I see that Omni Air is now using Dublin when Shannon is closed.

Omni Air 14.05.2020 Dublin to Washington
    Omni Air 12.05.2020 Fort Worth to Dublin

Taoiseach urged to support Shannon Airport’s future (Clare Echo)

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar (FG) has been contacted by the Clare TD Deputy Joe Carey (FG) who expressed serious concerns about Shannon Airport post COVID-19. He has also written to Aer Lingus and CEO of Shannon Group, Mary Considine. He has committed to do “whatever I can to protect and enhance our airport at these extraordinary times and has flagged the importance of retaining Aer Lingus’ base within Shannon and “the need to reopen the Airport on 24-hour basis which will put us in a position to regain lost corporate jet business.”

Aer Lingus’ Shannon to Heathrow route has been temporarily suspended but the airline continues to operate daily routes to Heathrow from Dublin (3), Belfast (2) and Cork (1). Shannon remains closed from 10pm to 6am which has impacted on its corporate jet business operation and development. The Clare TD has appealed to the Taoiseach to encourage Aer Lingus to recommence the route from Shannon citing FDI demand.

Very hard to get statistics on the level of corporate jets using Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

EI had flights showing from Shannon from 18th May but they have been cancelled again now until 1st June. I can only imagine the level of bookings are too low to make it viable? I would think until business demand starts to drive bookings they will not restart LHR route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Deagol wrote: »
    EI had flights showing from Shannon from 18th May but they have been cancelled again now until 1st June. I can only imagine the level of bookings are too low to make it viable? I would think until business demand starts to drive bookings they will not restart LHR route.

Guess the 14 day self isolating rule on you return is a major factor in booking anything at the moment. Don’t think anyone wants that... so best not to fly outside the country til there is a let u0 on that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Philadelphia will be operated by a 787 when it returns, continuing at daily frequency.

Nice capacity increase. Also will be the return of widebody aircraft on routes from Shannon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Philadelphia will be operated by a 787 when it returns, continuing at daily frequency.

Nice capacity increase. Also will be the return of widebody aircraft on routes from Shannon.

Great to see. Had feared with the 757 retirements that the US3 might be tempted to drop the TATL routes that were operated by 757s but this is welcome news. It’s a significant capacity increase of nearly 35% also given they are continuing the route as daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Who was phili again?? Mind is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

AA

Personally, from working the flights I don't see them ever filling a 787.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My guess would be American Airlines.

Berty wrote: »
    My guess would be American Airlines.

🤣🤣o ya I forgot about them. Haven't seem them in ages

AA

Personally, from working the flights I don't see them ever filling a 787.

Def not. They barely filled the flights as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnjoeR

Def not. They barely filled the flights as it was

A barely full flight, as you put it, means nearly full and sometimes completely full as was the case any time I tried to book Shannon to Philly. Usually flights were either full or so overpriced I went via Dublin instead. The extra seats will hopefully mean more competitive prices and the modern plane is very welcome. Philly is a great hub!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Any ideas around the future of the Shannon Group? Shannon Heritage is closed, the Airport is mostly closed and that just leaves the property company, surely cash will run out and the current business model is unsustainable

johnjoeR wrote: »
    A barely full flight, as you put it, means nearly full and sometimes completely full as was the case any time I tried to book Shannon to Philly. Usually flights were either full or so overpriced I went via Dublin instead. The extra seats will hopefully mean more competitive prices and the modern plane is very welcome. Philly is a great hub!

Take it from me, there was plenty of times that flight went out with under 100 passengers over the last few years.

For the first few weeks of the service each summer there would often be under 50 passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Have you a link for this?? They are not flying to SNN this year.

Have you a link for this?? They are not flying to SNN this year.

Next year, May 2021

Oh that's great! Hope we see a good rebound for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Take it from me, there was plenty of times that flight went out with under 100 passengers over the last few years.

For the first few weeks of the service each summer there would often be under 50 passengers.

Be that as it may, are you suggesting that AA don't know what they are doing or something? I'm sure they must be happy with the numbers if they are going to put a 787 on the route when they could cancel it or put a smaller unit on.

It's often not as simple as counting numbers on the flight, actual numbers may not reflect bookings. Business fliers regularly will book a flight and then not check in due to change in plans. Over the years I've not turned up for flights at least 2 or 3 times a year and I'm not an executive level person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Stanford wrote: »
    Any ideas around the future of the Shannon Group? Shannon Heritage is closed, the Airport is mostly closed and that just leaves the property company, surely cash will run out and the current business model is unsustainable

Seemingly the property company is doing well as they have 99% occupancy apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Am sure have have cash in reserves. They’ve been making millions of profits for years.. so should be able to ride out the next year if they take some cost cutt8ng measures. They won’t starve.

Very easy to burn through cash when you continue to have substantial fixed costs and no revenue

Seemingly the property company is doing well as they have 99% occupancy apparently

Is there a reliable source for this statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Stanford wrote:
    Is there a reliable source for this statement?

Their website has the annual report 98% occupancy.

kilburn wrote: »
    Their website has the annual report 98% occupancy.

Yes and its misleading, buildings that were built for individual clients are at 94% occupancy naturally, its a mistake to infer that all their property is full, far from it

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Yes and its misleading, buildings that were built for individual clients are at 94% occupancy naturally, its a mistake to infer that all their property is full, far from it

As I understand it they have excluded some old properties that are no longer suitable for modern needs.

Lufthansa secures €9bn rescue deal from German government (RTE)

Lufthansa has secured a €9 billion state rescue deal from the German government for a 20% stake in the company.

The German government will have limited voting rights, and two seats on the supervisory board of the firm.

The German Finance and Economy Ministries said Lufthansa was an operationally healthy company before the coronavirus outbreak, as well as profitable and with good future prospects, but had got into trouble due to the pandemic.

"The federal government's stabilisation package takes account of the needs of company as well as those of the taxpayers and the employees of the Lufthansa Group, who depend on the preservation of a strong company," the ministries said in a joint statement.

Good news for workers of Lufthansa Technik AG (Shannon Aerospace) and Lufthansa Technik Turbine Shannon (LTTS).

No EI flights until the end of July at the earliest..

• Advertisement

No EI flights until the end of July at the earliest..

Ryanair will be back at the start of July.

Advertisement