Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

EI off til end of August now apparently - staff laid off temporarily

http://clareherald.com/2020/05/aer-lingus-to-lay-off-workers-at-shannon-11011/

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Oh ****zers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

EI off til end of August now apparently - staff laid off temporarily

http://clareherald.com/2020/05/aer-lingus-to-lay-off-workers-at-shannon-11011/

It was a know fact they dont give 2 ****s about Snn. its only about Dublin they care about. Even with the maintenance you can see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It was a know fact they dont give 2 ****s about Snn. its only about Dublin they care about. Even with the maintenance you can see that.

How does this show they don't care about Shannon? Why bring all this useless Dublin sh*te into the conversation?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How does this show they don't care about Shannon? Why bring all this useless Dublin sh*te into the conversation?

i am just telling the truth if u worked @ shannon you would know what they are like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

SNN-EWR will return on 27 March 2021 with United. UA are scheduled to be back with AA next year.

Hopefully this wont change.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Great news. Where is the source of this? Employees (US employees) of UA are unaware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon Airport seeks recovery package as Donohoe says he will speak to Aer Lingus (Sunday Independent)

Shannon Airport is seeking a financial support package from the Government after a collapse in its traffic and the decision by Aer Lingus to lay off staff at the mid-west airport.

Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe has also pledged to speak with Aer Lingus about the matter.

If the airport cannot convince Aer Lingus to resurrect its now cancelled London Heathrow service - using the valuable slots at that airport that were a key part of the government's deal to sell Aer Lingus to IAG - the airport faces a huge crisis, according to sources.

Aer Lingus announced last week it was temporarily laying off its Shannon-based cabin crew but, when asked about the slots, a spokeswoman said that the EU Commission suspension of its "use-it-or-lose-it" rule on slots meant the route would not be impacted. But the move has come as a major blow to the airport, which had been given cause for optimism in February after Aer Lingus said it would base a second aircraft at the airport, boosting traffic by 20pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

knockon wrote: »
    Great news. Where is the source of this? Employees (US employees) of UA are unaware of this.

Its for sale on there website. Hopefully its right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

Aer Lingus have been looking for any excuse to abandon Shannon as it makes them no money. The pandemic will reset a lot of businesses and allow others to make decisions they previously couldn’t. SAA have far too much dependency on the LHR route and if it goes it’s the beginning of the end unless there’s a complete overhaul of management current policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

golfball37 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have been looking for any excuse to abandon Shannon as it makes them no money. The pandemic will reset a lot of businesses and allow others to make decisions they previously couldn’t. SAA have far too much dependency on the LHR route and if it goes it’s the beginning of the end unless there’s a complete overhaul of management current policy

If they didnt make money they would have left long ago, they are not a charity service. They also wouldnt have based 2 of their new 321 NEO aircraft and announced 2 new routes..

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I was a regular on the 7:30 flight to Heathrow, it was always fairly full

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That red eye flight has always been profitable, even when they took it away and moved it to Belfast they said it was profitable but that they'd make more money from Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Interesting LOT 1046 stopover ..... Warsaw to Toronto just coming in ....

thought someone would have posted the leader article this morn here

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/547391/fresh-fears-over-aer-lingus-shannon-service.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
    article below incase the paywall comes up

Fresh fears over Aer Lingus Shannon service
    Nick RabbittsNick Rabbitts4 Jun 2020Email: nick.rabbitts@limerickleader.ie

AER Lingus has refused to comment on its future schedules amid growing fears that its operation may be reduced at Shannon Airport.

Following the flag-carrier’s decision to furlough all its 90 cabin crew staff at Limerick’s local airport due to the Covid-19 crisis – but keep workers on at Cork and Dublin Airport – the spectre of reduced flights from Shannon has been raised.

Fine Gael TD Kieran O’Donnell has written to Aer Lingus chief executive Sean Doyle asking in particular about the Heathrow slots, and the transatlantic services from Shannon.

“Without a doubt, this is an exceptionally challenging time for Aer Lingus, but I am concerned with the proposal to temporarily lay off crew at Shannon from June 21 to August 29 does not reflect the actions taken at Dublin and Cork. There are also questions to be answered on the decision to cancel the Aer Lingus Heathrow route from, Shannon while the Cork route has continued,” the city TD said.

The Limerick Leader also wrote to Aer Lingus asking these questions, and seeking information around if and when flights to London’s main airport and across to the USA would resume.​

A company spokesperson said: “Aer Lingus is reviewing our future operating schedule on an ongoing basis, having regard to the guidance from relevant governments in relation to when we will be able to operate particular routes.”

Back in 2007, there was uproar when Aer Lingus cut its connection between Shannon and Heathrow Airport, with thousands of people taking to Limerick’s streets.

A year later, the airline resumed operations between Shannon and the British capital, albeit at a reduced schedule.

Mr O’Donnell said: “The Aer Lingus Shannon to Heathrow route and the transatlantic routes are vital to connectivity for Limerick and the Mid-West region and I am determined these are reinstated as quickly as possible, and the Shannon-based cabin crew staff are maintained.” There are fears if Aer Lingus did significantly cut its schedule from Shannon Airport, it would be detrimental to the base.

”It’s in a heap of trouble already, and I don’t know how they will recover. It’s likely to need some State intervention. We might need to bail them out. This could send it back 10 to 15 years,” said one industry source.

Niall Shanahan of the Forsa trade union, which represents 90% of cabin crew, said: “Our honest answer is we don’t know what Aer Lingus’s medium to long term strategy is for Shannon. They haven’t shared it with us.”

He said Shannon has always been a “political football” in his union’s talks with the company.

But, Mr Shanahan added the airport was “often written off – but this never came to pass.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'd happily close the door behind aer lingus in Shannon and open up to O'Leary tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I'd happily close the door behind aer lingus in Shannon and open up to O'Leary tbh.

Ryanair are taking advantage of the crisis by pitting much larger airports against each other for "priority" in restarting their network, I doubt shannon would be worth any effort for them at this point. Id say all their effort will be rebuilding existing routes rather than starting new ones.

Its a shame, because the current crisis could have been an opportunity for Shannon if not for the inept management over the last few years. Its likely people will avoid city breaks. People will be flying into a busy Dublin Airport to drive/bus to the wild Atlantic way with Shannon largely empty. Cork airport could do well in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

O'Leary already been there during the Neil Pakey era and hightailed out once the 'supports' ended.

O'leary arriving into an airport is not like a scene from the Lord of the Rings.... he not coming in to save anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

it's sad to see Shannon Airport reduced to a windswept runway where now and again it's so quite the farmers can drive in and save hay.

The only life there is a few brown hares.

I wonder if Dublin still managed it, would it be doing better in the last few years ?

Was it possible that the management that's there now couldn't cope with the pressure of having to actually work under Dublin.
    So they decided that they're better and it was a shot in the dark to go it alone.
    A how dare Dublin tell us Midwesterners how to do our job, we're sick of this crap.

So they engineered their own downfall with outside help, then when Santa delivered the jigsaw puzzle, they threw it in a blender and can't put it back together again.

Didn't Neil Pakey say at staff meetings that, the people on the ground with experience have great ideas and weren't listened to ???

They sent him out on paid leave then another guy came who spent most meetings talking about being a family man and archeology and he went off to a marina or somewhere...

• Advertisement

Neil Pakey was a great guy, the place had a chance with him in charge. My brother works there and said he was extremely personable and listened to staff who knew what was needed. He was removed because he told the state appointed board home truths and yet they are still in place and rubber stamping the same redundant policies.

RYR have wound up Lauda, so I guess thats the end of Vienna now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Neil Pakey was a great guy, the place had a chance with him in charge. My brother works there and said he was extremely personable and listened to staff who knew what was needed. He was removed because he told the state appointed board home truths and yet they are still in place and rubber stamping the same redundant policies.

Lauda base have proposed a deal to Ryanair so might not closw.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

He was supposedly more about the working staff and was suggesting that they take on a different strategy he's from Scotland and a bit of a loveable rogue.
    He was able to see potential, but a guy who works there said they wouldn't listen to him because he was able to see what was going wrong etc

There's a lot of management and they're under the Shannon Group umbrella.
    I heard that they're often chopping and changing the management structure.

Shannon Heritage are all over the media too, supposedly staff are annoyed with being let go, and in the paper's etc they're closing Bunratty Castle and Folk Park in August.
    Another blow the local tourism industry.

Bunratty is along the wild Atlantic way and that place should be booming, I don't know who's running the place at the moment.
    But Shannon Development put a lot of work into that place, and Brendan O Regan was a genius.

I'm living between Dingle and Tralee sometimes I drive for a tour company and meet Americans sometimes and they rave about Bunratty Castle and Folk Park and the replica village etc

I was there on a school tour in the early 80's and feel like I have a connection to the place as when I walk around I smell the turf and enjoy the atmosphere, it's a bit like Muckross in Killarney

But if RTE and the paper's are mentioning that it's falling apart there's seriously something wrong, banquet's will be offline for a while due to social distancing and people not flying.

How come Shannon Airport left the Dublin Airport Authority ?

Was it a good move ?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭AnRothar

RTE and the paper's are mentioning that it's falling apart there's seriously something wrong
    There is an old saying "a paper never refused ink".

That been said Aviation has tanked.
    2020 is a write off.

There is a difficult time ahead.

How come Shannon Airport left the Dublin Airport Authority ?
    There was a belief in both Shannon and Cork were been "hindered" by Aer Rianta with its Dublin centric focus.

This had a degree of truth but was not the whole story.

Letting Shannon sink or swim was useful tactic by the DAA in putting manners on the desires of Cork for independence.
    Was it a good move ?
    Jury is still out.

The Shannon split was a good idea executed very badly. The same people who mishandled that are now charged with this recovery.
    The Group was just another higher level of management of hand picked people who knew nothing of the airport business, to run it. Local managers and great servants were sidelined. It was some wasted opportunity and am not too hopeful for future based on what I’ve heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The Shannon split was a good idea executed very badly. The same people who mishandled that are now charged with this recovery.
    The Group was just another higher level of management of hand picked people who knew nothing of the airport business, to run it. Local managers and great servants were sidelined. It was some wasted opportunity and am not too hopeful for future based on what I’ve heard.

Do go on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Christ above, the gloom in here is palpable.

Naturally, there's little point in these 'fears for the future' headlines as we have quite obivously no idea what's happening in the aviation world yet. It's too soon to tell, but again paper never refuses ink.

I'm not sure why some users seem hell-bent on screaming that Shannon's being discriminated against, nobody has any interest in the airport and the management are a failure. Current times are completely unforseen and new to us, the world, it's not just Shannon here.

Also, suggesting that Ryanair should be allowed in to force Aer Lingus out goes down with one of the most absurd suggestions here yet. The post - independence deal with Ryanair occured only 6/7 years ago and those routes are only gone a few years. Anyone with any memory of this would know it's not time for a repeat.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Christ above, the gloom in here is palpable.

Naturally, there's little point in these 'fears for the future' headlines as we have quite obivously no idea what's happening in the aviation world yet. It's too soon to tell, but again paper never refuses ink.

I'm not sure why some users seem hell-bent on screaming that Shannon's being discriminated against, nobody has any interest in the airport and the management are a failure. Current times are completely unforseen and new to us, the world, it's not just Shannon here.

Also, suggesting that Ryanair should be allowed in to force Aer Lingus out goes down with one of the most absurd suggestions here yet. The post - independence deal with Ryanair occured only 6/7 years ago and those routes are only gone a few years. Anyone with any memory of this would know it's not time for a repeat.

When Aer Lingus stop taking aircraft from SNN to use for flights leaving DUB I'll stop saying they don't care about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

If you're a serious traveller like I am RA are completely useless. For business they are most often not a realistic option as they only do point to point flights.

And as they often fly to airports long distances from the business locations they also aren't useful. For instance EI can get you to and from central London offices in the same day. Not a hope if you had to travel to and from STD.

If SNN only had RA flights I'd drive to Dublin for 90% of my travel, as would the other people in my company who travel frequently. And I can guarantee you that would go for large numbers of other business travellers. SNN's life blood is those frequent business travellers - with them gone I don't think SNN is viable.

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    If you're a serious traveller like I am RA are completely useless. For business they are most often not a realistic option as they only do point to point flights.

And as they often fly to airports long distances from the business locations they also aren't useful. For instance EI can get you to and from central London offices in the same day. Not a hope if you had to travel to and from STD.

If SNN only had RA flights I'd drive to Dublin for 90% of my travel, as would the other people in my company who travel frequently. And I can guarantee you that would go for large numbers of other business travellers. SNN's life blood is those frequent business travellers - with them gone I don't think SNN is viable.

I have to disagree with your last sentence. I understand where you're coming from regarding business travel but if they did leave and Ryanair opened more routes, it's 3 LHR flights a day vs multiples of Ryanair routes. At the end of the day its 450ish passengers a day that would be lost.

Obviously I'm not counting their TA routes as there won't be any this year.

Advertisement