Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I have to disagree with your last sentence. I understand where you're coming from regarding business travel but if they did leave and Ryanair opened more routes, it's 3 LHR flights a day vs multiples of Ryanair routes. At the end of the day its 450ish passengers a day that would be lost.

Obviously I'm not counting their TA routes as there won't be any this year.

It would be a few RA routes for a few months a year for the once or twice a year tourists. Rest of the year the airport would be a ghost town and it wouldn't be viable. It would also have a significant effect on the ability of the mid-west to attract FDI. I know several companies that would almost certainly upsticks and leave probably to Dublin with the loss to the region of ~450 high and very high paying jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

How many industries is business travel going to continue to be a feature of in 2021, my guess would be a lot less then in 2019.

FWIW Dublin will lose alot more in corporate travel then Shannon. Impact WFH in tech sector in Dublin will be very interesting. If those people are required to be resident in Ireland they will have the ability to live in places other then Dublin and being close to an airport with lower living costs may be a positive for region.

I work in tech company in Limerick

Survival of Heathrow route is crucial in my view as it facilitates those commuting to work which may well be a feature in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Deagol wrote: »
    It would be a few RA routes for a few months a year for the once or twice a year tourists. Rest of the year the airport would be a ghost town and it wouldn't be viable. It would also have a significant effect on the ability of the mid-west to attract FDI. I know several companies that would almost certainly upsticks and leave probably to Dublin with the loss to the region of ~450 high and very high paying jobs.

I'd guarantee that if they put on 3 daily flights to Poland or somewhere else in Eastern Europe they would be busier than the LHR flight year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'd guarantee that if they put on 3 daily flights to Poland or somewhere else in Eastern Europe they would be busier than the LHR flight year round.

What?

Think about what you just said for a minute, where on earth will the demand come from for 3x flights a day to Eastern Europe? Honestly, really pulling it out of your arse at this stage, you clearly know nothing of the market.

Realism is what's needed, not fantasy. Doesn't help anyone.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What?

Think about what you just said for a minute, where on earth will the demand come from for 3x flights a day to Eastern Europe? Honestly, really pulling it out of your arse at this stage, you clearly know nothing of the market.

Realism is what's needed, not fantasy. Doesn't help anyone.

Working in the airport for the best part of 14 years. There is nothing being pulled out of my arse. Eastern European flights are 95% full for every departure, that's a fact. I have no doubt that if they put on more to other countries over there they would have the same passenger figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Working in the airport for the best part of 14 years. There is nothing being pulled out of my arse. Eastern European flights are 95% full for every departure, that's a fact. I have no doubt that if they put on more to other countries over there they would have the same passenger figures.

What exactly do you do in the airport? Cleaner? Because you plainly have no idea what you're talking about. If you seriously think having a few RA planes with a bunch of mainly lower paid people using them is better than having a business orientated connection to one of the world's largest and busiest airports then you are deluded.

I fly from SNN-LHR around 20 times a year. I park in the long term car park and buy on average €20 of stuff in the shop each time.

That's around €1400 a year of direct spending at the airport alone. Plus the fare cost would be at least €5000 PA. And I do predominantly short haul - I guarantee there's many more who do much more travel / higher value.

The average person on a RA flight to anywhere I would guess travel max. 2 or 3 times a year on a low cost flight and spends nothing at the airport beyond buying the odd beer. Obviously there would be exceptions but I'm will to bet the average LHR flight contributes at 3x as much to the airport coffers as O'Leary air.

Let's be clear, last time RA had a major presence at the airport they got a sweetheart deal with below cost landing fees etc, and then they buggered off as soon as the deal was over. They used Shannon as a pawn to twist Dublin into giving them a better deal.

Shannon needs a good mix of carriers but losing the LHR route would certainly, in mine and many other peoples opinions most likely fatally damage the airport. And remember, without the LHR connection the TA flights would probably go too as good chunk of people on them are transit passengers.

Deagol wrote: »
    What exactly do you do in the airport? Cleaner? Because you plainly have no idea what you're talking about. If you seriously think having a few RA planes with a bunch of mainly lower paid people using them is better than having a business orientated connection to one of the world's largest and busiest airports then you are deluded.

I fly from SNN-LHR around 20 times a year. I park in the long term car park and buy on average €20 of stuff in the shop each time.

That's around €1400 a year of direct spending at the airport alone. Plus the fare cost would be at least €5000 PA. And I do predominantly short haul - I guarantee there's many more who do much more travel / higher value.

The average person on a RA flight to anywhere I would guess travel max. 2 or 3 times a year on a low cost flight and spends nothing at the airport beyond buying the odd beer. Obviously there would be exceptions but I'm will to bet the average LHR flight contributes at 3x as much to the airport coffers as O'Leary air.

Let's be clear, last time RA had a major presence at the airport they got a sweetheart deal with below cost landing fees etc, and then they buggered off as soon as the deal was over. They used Shannon as a pawn to twist Dublin into giving them a better deal.

Shannon needs a good mix of carriers but losing the LHR route would certainly, in mine and many other peoples opinions most likely fatally damage the airport. And remember, without the LHR connection the TA flights would probably go too as good chunk of people on them are transit passengers.

No I'm not a cleaner.

You spend €20 in the duty free on average yet you think the average Ryanair passenger doesn't spend anything bar the odd beer? That's absolute nonsense for a start.

Do you really think one LHR flight offers 3x the amount that, for example, a flight to Krakow? If you do, you're seriously deluded.

A full FR flight to Eastern Europe will bring in more money than an LHR flight with 120-150 passengers on board which is the usual load.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Honestly Shannon needs both to be going well and up to January had a reasonable combination of both. Not sure I think there is much more that can be squeezed out of those 2.

Are there wins the airport can get which they haven't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Deagol wrote:

So what if the poster was a cleaner?

Are you an aviation strategist or analyst?

kilburn wrote: »
    So what if the poster was a cleaner?

Are you an aviation strategist or analyst?

He must be a VIP, he does park in the long term car park and spends 20 whole euro in the airport when he travels afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Speculation into a posters real life is a MAJOR NO NO folks so please stop, it can result in a site ban very quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I can see the value in both the Ryanair and the Aer Lingus business.

I've done the daily commute trip to London an awful lot, when you're travelling for work it's a different trip, breakfast is on expenses so you'll pick up a paper or a bag of sweats of a few more things, I'd normally do a short term parking cause I'm lazy but parking in Shannon is brilliant, Heathrow Express into the City makes it almost an enjoyable trip, far more enjoyable than the train from Ennis to Dublin in my opinion, I've done the London City Airport run a few times as well, that was just brilliant, different levels, being an Aer Lingus Gold Circle member used to be great as well.

Ryanair just doesn't do daily commute, you'll either be in at lunch time or evening or too early with no return so it'll result in an overnight stay, all of a sudden it's not as handy for the working person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Agreed Clareman and I am not trying to find out what the user does, I am just pointing out a very derogatory disrespectful tone towards Cleaners which is totally uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Tiernster7 wrote: »
    How many industries is business travel going to continue to be a feature of in 2021, my guess would be a lot less then in 2019.

FWIW Dublin will lose alot more in corporate travel then Shannon. Impact WFH in tech sector in Dublin will be very interesting. If those people are required to be resident in Ireland they will have the ability to live in places other then Dublin and being close to an airport with lower living costs may be a positive for region.

I work in tech company in Limerick

Survival of Heathrow route is crucial in my view as it facilitates those commuting to work which may well be a feature in 2021.

Same here, travel 50% of the time. Loss of LHR route would mean driving to Dublin Every week, just not sustainable........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There's probably more of a role for regional airports more generally, if people seek to avoid crowded settings etc. Dublin will have people queue in the car park apparently.

I'd be surprised if LHR didn't resume. And as an expat in London I rely on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭AnRothar

You spend €20 in the duty free on average yet you think the average Ryanair passenger doesn't spend anything bar the odd beer? That's absolute nonsense for a start.

Do you really think one LHR flight offers 3x the amount that, for example, a flight to Krakow? If you do, you're seriously deluded.

A full FR flight to Eastern Europe will bring in more money than an LHR flight with 120-150 passengers on board which is the usual load.
    I respectfully have to disagree with you.

The average Ryanair passenger will spend bugger all in an airport.

Equally the market for eastern Europe from the west is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Morning folks.

Do you know if there will be Garda checkpoints or restrictions around the airport for the visit of the big girl tomorrow?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Manuel wrote: »
    Morning folks.

Do you know if there will be Garda checkpoints or restrictions around the airport for the visit of the big girl tomorrow?

Thanks.

Pretty unlikely that there will be specific checkpoints and anyway if you're from Clare you can travel anywhere you like, in the county, from today.

But there could be random checkpoints as always.

Thanks Berty.

I was thinking of at least avoiding the viewing area at Lufthansa Technik, as I would expect a big crowd to descend on that small spot. Even if there aren't Gardai turning people away from there it could get overcrowded and tetchy. Not ideal for the kids ...

We'll probably drive to the terminal building car park and walk up by the control tower. Lots of room around there.

Thanks Berty.

I was thinking of at least avoiding the viewing area at Lufthansa Technik, as I would expect a big crowd to descend on that small spot. Even if there aren't Gardai turning people away from there it could get overcrowded and tetchy. Not ideal for the kids ...

We'll probably drive to the terminal building car park and walk up by the control tower. Lots of room around there.

That area by lufthansa was crazy the last time the 225 was here. The entire airport was crazy actually which is to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Is that arriving tomorrow?
    If so what tone does anybody know?

Due in 16.45, subject to change ...

Note, it has a very long day tomorrow, so don't leave home until you see that she is on her way:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ur-82060

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Due in 16.45, subject to change ...

Note, it has a very long day tomorrow, so don't leave home until you see that she is on her way:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ur-82060

Sound.
    I’m only across the road anyway so not far to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

When I worked at my desk/window on the approach(Western Bus Park) it was fine when landing but when it was taking off due East the building would mildly shake all nearly everybody would stop to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

There's probably more of a role for regional airports more generally, if people seek to avoid crowded settings etc. Dublin will have people queue in the car park apparently.

I'd be surprised if LHR didn't resume. And as an expat in London I rely on it!

A Little birdy Today said there is No Aer lingus Flights till Aug/ Sept the the earliest. (Its an Absolute joke, that they can do that).

Sorry worded wrong

A Little birdy Today said there is No Aer lingus Flights till Aug/ Sept the the earliest. (Its an Absolute joke, that they can do that).

All aer lingus staff have been laid off (by email) until September at the earliest. That was announced last week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A little birdy? Did EI announcing the temporary lay off of it's Shannon based staff until September at the earliest not tip you off?
    "Shannon base has had zero flights for the last two months and this will continue for the next roster period, therefore we have no option but to temporarily lay off crew based in Shannon".

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

So is this Ryanair statement that they're flying from July 1st bullsh*t or not?

Granadino wrote: »
    So is this Ryanair statement that they're flying from July 1st bullsh*t or not?

Flights are scheduled to restart from Shannon on July 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

All aer lingus staff have been laid off (by email) until September at the earliest. That was announced last week.

Were u not @ the union meeting today.

Advertisement