Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Were u not @ the union meeting today.

I'd look out of place at an aer lingus meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I'd look out of place at an aer lingus meeting.
    Sorry Mistaken identity :D:D

Sorry Mistaken identity :D:D

I think so, definitely not an aer lingus worker anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

Manuel wrote: »
    Due in 16.45, subject to change ...

Note, it has a very long day tomorrow, so don't leave home until you see that she is on her way:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ur-82060

Any estimate of arrival time ? Or have I missed it ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

4Ad wrote: »
    Thanks

Sorry, i thought it was today..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

4Ad wrote: »
    Thanks

AN-225-1-620x350.jpeg

World’s Largest Aircraft to Visit Shannon (Flying in Ireland)

The world’s largest aircraft and only six engined transport plane is due to pay an overnight visit to Shannon on Tuesday 9th June and depart the following day. The Antonov An-225 Mriya will be bringing in cargo to be off loaded at Shannon. The crew will stay overnight for a rest period and depart empty to its home base of Gostomel Airport, Kiev in Ukraine.

The aircraft has been operating extensively in recent weeks carrying PPE (Personnel Protective Equipment) from China and Japan to Canada via Anchorage. The aircraft will have a very busy day on the 9th June, it is due to leave Almaty International Airport in Kazakstan at 01.00 (GMT times) and fly to Baku with an arrival time of 04.30. It will then continue on to Leipzig in Germany at 06.30 with an expected arrival time of 11.30. After a two hour stopover, it will depart for Shannon where it is expected to arrive at 16.45 (local time) on Tuesday afternoon. Currently, the aircraft is scheduled to depart Shannon at 14.30 on Wednesday afternoon.

FMCI-overview-pic-web.jpg

Future Mobility Campus at Shannon Free Zone (Clare Herald)

The decision to establish a Future Mobility Campus in Shannon was born out of a realisation that Ireland needs to derive the economic benefits arising from the global opportunity that connected and autonomous vehicles offer and the fact that many countries have already established testbeds.

Partners in the new venture, which will be known as Future Mobility Campus Ireland (FMCI), led by Jaguar Land Rover Shannon’s Vehicle as a Service (VaaS) manager, Russell Vickers, include Ireland’s leading automotive and technology organisations across small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), multinational companies (MNCs), Research Organisations and Institutes of Technology with support from local authorities, state agencies, and Chambers of Commerce, including Shannon Chamber.

The large audience who logged in to the Webinar heard about the ambitious plans to create and deliver future mobility testbed facilities at Shannon Free Zone. This testbed will stimulate research, development and innovation in the area of autonomous connected electric shared vehicles (ACES), including connected and autonomous vehicles (CAV) in Ireland. It will benefit development and innovation not only for the automotive industry but also for a range of other industries including telecommunications, computing, and artificial intelligence.

Street-View-2a094ff1.png

Building work recommences at Shannon Free Zone (Clare Herald)

Building work on a major 148,000 sq ft development at Blocks K & L at the 300-acre Shannon Free Zone in Co. Clare has recommenced following the easing of restrictions on the construction sector as a result of COVID-19 health and safety measures.

The new 148,000 sq ft development located on a 12-acre site in the Shannon Free Zone will comprise a 34,000 sq ft advanced technology manufacturing unit, 60,000 sq ft, and 54,000 sq ft of flexible industrial/warehousing space.

3D-Image-1-1080x675.jpg

Sod turned on Ei campus extension (Clare Herald)

The new development will comprise a 3 storey, 10,000m2 building adjoining its existing headquarters. It will include additional manufacturing capacity, R&D, and office space, and significantly expand its current production capacity over the coming years.

With origins dating back to 1963 on the existing site, a successful MBO in 1988 led by CEO Mick Guinee, has seen the Irish-owned multinational grow substantially in the intervening years. During this time the original building has been substantially upgraded, with additional land and buildings adjacent to the site acquired in more recent times.

Exporting to 30 countries worldwide, the Company now employs over 750 people in Shannon, with an additional 100 people in its 5 wholly owned overseas subsidiaries in the UK, Germany, France, the USA and Poland.

47577556_2131389486913381_4703410615606050816_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=GOqGXwX9LksAX_9pGwJ&_nc_ht=scontent-ham3-1.xx&oh=fdf78d54accdbf563127551c7519aa9f&oe=5F0139F0

Announcement Of €10m Facility A Further Vote Of Confidence In Midwest (Clare FM)

Construction is due to get underway soon on a new ten million euro development in Shannon.

DB Schenker has announced that it’s been granted full planning permission for a warehouse and distribution facility, as well as associated works, at a green field site in the Shannon Free Zone.
    It is expected to be operational by July next year.

The shipping company’s Logistics Commercial Director says the investment is a show of trust in the region.

Sean Meaney believes the Airport is fundamental to business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

kilburn wrote: »
    Agreed Clareman and I am not trying to find out what the user does, I am just pointing out a very derogatory disrespectful tone towards Cleaners which is totally uncalled for.

Ah, the professionally offended cadre appears on behalf of the people who don't know and probably don't care..

If you thought about it for a microsecond and didn't automatically jump to a conclusion based on your own biases you would realise the point was; a cleaner (or indeed the vast majority of people who work in any of the other services I could have used, in the airport) would have no more information on how profitable a route is than any of the rest of us. My point being that telling us they worked in the airport is not really relevant to the discussion unless they work in a role that would genuinely have some inside track.

And from the fantasy stuff being spouted I can pretty much guarantee that's not the case here..

Finally, I don't work in the airline industry - but I have several friends who are senior in the air industry and who do have access to certain analysis'. And even they can't / won't tell me information about the profitability of routes etc, it's a strict no-no as it could potentially be seen as insider information when it comes to share trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A Little birdy Today said there is No Aer lingus Flights till Aug/ Sept the the earliest. (Its an Absolute joke, that they can do that).

Sorry worded wrong

Just wish they'd actually reflect this on the booking engine so folk could book dates with confidence they can actually go!

AN-225-1-620x350.jpeg

World’s Largest Aircraft to Visit Shannon (Flying in Ireland)

The world’s largest aircraft and only six engined transport plane is due to pay an overnight visit to Shannon on Tuesday 9th June and depart the following day. The Antonov An-225 Mriya will be bringing in cargo to be off loaded at Shannon. The crew will stay overnight for a rest period and depart empty to its home base of Gostomel Airport, Kiev in Ukraine.

The aircraft has been operating extensively in recent weeks carrying PPE (Personnel Protective Equipment) from China and Japan to Canada via Anchorage. The aircraft will have a very busy day on the 9th June, it is due to leave Almaty International Airport in Kazakstan at 01.00 (GMT times) and fly to Baku with an arrival time of 04.30. It will then continue on to Leipzig in Germany at 06.30 with an expected arrival time of 11.30. After a two hour stopover, it will depart for Shannon where it is expected to arrive at 16.45 (local time) on Tuesday afternoon. Currently, the aircraft is scheduled to depart Shannon at 14.30 on Wednesday afternoon.

This is delayed until at least Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    Ah, the professionally offended cadre appears on behalf of the people who don't know and probably don't care..

If you thought about it for a microsecond and didn't automatically jump to a conclusion based on your own biases you would realise the point was; a cleaner (or indeed the vast majority of people who work in any of the other services I could have used, in the airport) would have no more information on how profitable a route is than any of the rest of us. My point being that telling us they worked in the airport is not really relevant to the discussion unless they work in a role that would genuinely have some inside track.

And from the fantasy stuff being spouted I can pretty much guarantee that's not the case here..

Finally, I don't work in the airline industry - but I have several friends who are senior in the air industry and who do have access to certain analysis'. And even they can't / won't tell me information about the profitability of routes etc, it's a strict no-no as it could potentially be seen as insider information when it comes to share trading.

I don't know how profitable a route is but as someone who works flights and need passenger figures as part of my job I know exactly what I'm talking about. I know that every flight that departs for Eastern Europe is 95% full, that would be similar if they brought new routes in to other countries in Eastern Europe, I have no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I don't know how profitable a route is but as someone who works flights and need passenger figures as part of my job I know exactly what I'm talking about. I know that every flight that departs for Eastern Europe is 95% full, that would be similar if they brought new routes in to other countries in Eastern Europe, I have no doubt about that.

Okay so, there's currently 4 eastern European routes, 3 to Poland all at 2x weekly and one to Kaunas which is 1x weekly in winter and 2x weekly in summer.

That's 7/8 flights per week. Yet you think London, the most popular destination from all Irish airports that have a flight there, would be less popular?

Maybe there's a market there for another polish route or two, but loads only mean so much, yield is the real key. Business travel is much less price sensitive and often frequent. Leisure travel is much much more price sensitive, and while trying not to generalise too much, I find most of the people who take these flights aren't inclined to spend in the duty free or spend money in the airport. Many of my polish friends are much more inclined to get a lift to the airport rather than paying for parking, however that's probably because 3 weeks of parking is expensive.

Ryanair aren't good for the airport, they have a very clear track record of playing the west coast airports off eachother, and the only times Shannon has gotten significant flights from Ryanair is when they dropped their fees massively. Once the low fees stopped, most routes are culled. We've had too many cycles of this in Shannon, another one won't help anyone

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Okay so, there's currently 4 eastern European routes, 3 to Poland all at 2x weekly and one to Kaunas which is 1x weekly in winter and 2x weekly in summer.

That's 7/8 flights per week. Yet you think London, the most popular destination from all Irish airports that have a flight there, would be less popular?

Maybe there's a market there for another polish route or two, but loads only mean so much, yield is the real key. Business travel is much less price sensitive and often frequent. Leisure travel is much much more price sensitive, and while trying not to generalise too much, I find most of the people who take these flights aren't inclined to spend in the duty free or spend money in the airport. Many of my polish friends are much more inclined to get a lift to the airport rather than paying for parking, however that's probably because 3 weeks of parking is expensive.

Ryanair aren't good for the airport, they have a very clear track record of playing the west coast airports off eachother, and the only times Shannon has gotten significant flights from Ryanair is when they dropped their fees massively. Once the low fees stopped, most routes are culled. We've had too many cycles of this in Shannon, another one won't help anyone

I just find it ridiculous that people saying losing 3 flights daily to LHR would be the death knell for the airport.

I really don't see why people also think Ryanair passengers don't spent money in duty free, wh Smith, the bar, zest. But look, what do i know? I only work in the place and see these passengers every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

While we've had lots of cycles like this I don't see a strong alternative that has the same ability to deliver passenger numbers. You can only play the moves you have available

Surprisingly large stream of good news in business park, hopefully it continues

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

For the airport to be viable you need 2 kind of Pax, leisure and business, lots of business rely on the LHR route as it is a way of moving staff around including airline crew, SNN needs connectivity to a major hub. Leisure routes are important too but it's point to point which is much different but both are required for a viable airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

AN225 canx for today, in tomorrow at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Comhra wrote: »
    the only reason it wasnt in today was it broke down and was in for repairs.

Limerick aircraft company given permission to seek arrangement with creditors (Irish Examiner)

The High Court has given Irish based aircraft company Nordic Aviation Capital the go ahead to seek to enter into a scheme of arrangement with its creditors.

The NAC group of companies is the largest lessor of aircraft to regional airlines, and the 5th largest aircraft lessor in the world, and employs over a 100 people at its Limerick Headquarters.

Nordic Aviation Capital DAC wants to enter into scheme with its lenders due to the dire effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on the aviation industry.

If approved the scheme will secure a six to 12 month standstill on millions of euro in principle and interest payments due by NAC to its lenders of approximately €5 billion of debt.

The scheme will also allow the group, which owns approximately 500 aircraft to continue to operate.

Some 65 of the group's 75 customers are seeking various concessions on its aircraft leasing agreements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That's not good, a friend of mine works there and he was saying it's very quiet there, wonder what that ruling will mean to the company, having such a massive drop in income can't be good

No its not good, apart from air freight, the whole aviation sector is in a critical situation until a covid-19 vaccination has been developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Flights are scheduled to restart from Shannon on July 6th.
    They have 2nd bookable on their website.

Limerick aircraft company given permission to seek arrangement with creditors (Irish Examiner)

The High Court has given Irish based aircraft company Nordic Aviation Capital the go ahead to seek to enter into a scheme of arrangement with its creditors.

The NAC group of companies is the largest lessor of aircraft to regional airlines, and the 5th largest aircraft lessor in the world, and employs over a 100 people at its Limerick Headquarters.

Nordic Aviation Capital DAC wants to enter into scheme with its lenders due to the dire effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on the aviation industry.

If approved the scheme will secure a six to 12 month standstill on millions of euro in principle and interest payments due by NAC to its lenders of approximately €5 billion of debt.

The scheme will also allow the group, which owns approximately 500 aircraft to continue to operate.

Some 65 of the group's 75 customers are seeking various concessions on its aircraft leasing agreements.

Was that the crowd that went in to the building in Henry Street Limerick across From Garda station

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Was that the crowd that went in to the building in Henry Street Limerick across From Garda station

Yup

Clareman wrote: »
    Yup
    Fecking hell & they only just after expanding into that.

Reading the article they have massive debts and no-one is paying them what they are owed.

Clareman wrote: »
    Reading the article they have massive debts and no-one is paying them what they are owed.

It's a vicious cycle sure "airlines " that owe them cant pay them till they start flying again & earning money.They cant earn money unless people start flying again. It's a knock on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

BHX resuming from start of Sept according to the Indo. Presume LHR at the same time then.

• Advertisement

Advertisement