Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FluffyUnicorn

Where are people planning to watch it? Would the area down by Lufthansa be packed?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Where are people planning to watch it? Would the area down by Lufthansa be packed?

Its rammed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A good spot, a bit late because you can't park there is The Hill, i.e Westpark.

You need a permit but you could park down the bottom of the hill and walk up(run at this stage). You get a nice view from up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Watching is current Southerly movement across Cork is the Antonov coming in from the Atlantic, Westerly landing/facing east? (I don't know the terminology)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Berty wrote: »
    Watching is current Southerly movement across Cork is the Antonov coming in from the Atlantic, Westerly landing/facing east? (I don't know the terminology)

Looks like landing on 06 .... ie from the west ..... lots of peeps based east of the Airport are going to miss the action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

hobie14 wrote: »
    Looks like landing on 06 .... ie from the west ..... lots of peeps based east of the Airport are going to miss the action

From the west alright .... they were offered runway direction 24 by atc but wanted o6 ....ie landing over the estuary ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Is it overnighting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FluffyUnicorn

Is it overnighting ?

Think so, anyone know what time it's scheduled to leave tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Think so, anyone know what time it's scheduled to leave tomorrow?

Announced as 10am but that might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It will be departing Friday morning, 9am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

Is there anywhere close by that I can park up this evening to see the airplane ? My elderly father would love to see it.
    He was waiting in East Clare, 10 miles from Shannon, for it this afternoon.

4Ad wrote: »
    Is there anywhere close by that I can park up this evening to see the airplane ? My elderly father would love to see it.
    He was waiting in East Clare, 10 miles from Shannon, for it this afternoon.

The car park right beside where the 225 is parked is open and free.

Reports on media that it has a crew of 6.
    Where do they overnight in Shannon on trips like this.?

washman3 wrote: »

An lot more than 6 crew, there's 20+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McSween

Is this for certain? Give or take a bit of time. Somebody I know wants to see it go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McSween

Is this for certain? Give or take a bit of time. Somebody I know wants to see it go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnjoeR

Plenty of hotels in Shannon and Limerick open for essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

Michael Lowry TD was invited to go on board. I saw pictures of him airside on LinkedIn earlier

An lot more than 6 crew, there's 20+
    That's a big crew.
    Would they all have a role during the flight.?
    Would all the loading/unloading be done by people working at the various airports they visit.?

That's a big crew.
    Would they all have a role during the flight.?
    Would all the loading/unloading be done by people working at the various airports they visit.?

They come off the aircraft, set up the ramp, take the nets off the cargo, do their arrival checks and then leave. The ground teams do all the offloading etc.

• Advertisement

McSween wrote: »

100% Friday morning.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Michael Lowry TD was invited to go on board. I saw pictures of him airside on LinkedIn earlier

He was with the company who brought in the PPE for some reason. Marty Morrisey was also there, who knows why.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

My family are booked to fly Shannon-Faro on July 22nd with Aer Lingus. We haven’t received any info from them to suggest it’s been cancelled, but from what I read on this thread and elsewhere about Aer Lingus temporarily lYing off Shannon-based staff, it seems there is no prospect of the flight going ahead. Is that right? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

luckyboy wrote: »
    My family are booked to fly Shannon-Faro on July 22nd with Aer Lingus. We haven’t received any info from them to suggest it’s been cancelled, but from what I read on this thread and elsewhere about Aer Lingus temporarily lYing off Shannon-based staff, it seems there is no prospect of the flight going ahead. Is that right? Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately next to no clarity from Aer Lingus on when and what flights they will operate. I would say it's fairly unlikely though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

BHX resuming from start of Sept according to the Indo. Presume LHR at the same time then.

Stobart Air’s Return Plans See Significant Scaling Back Of Shannon Flights (Clare FM)

Stobart Air looks set to scale back its flights at Shannon Airport, withdrawing from one route altogether.

The company, who operate Aer Lingus regional routes, are planning to resume flights from Shannon in September, when its Birmingham route will return.

However, the airline has not confirmed the return of its flights to Edinburgh, as Clare Fm’s Michael Glynn reports.

It’s understood that Shannon officials are hopeful that the Edinburgh service may return from March of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Up to 26,000 Lufthansa employees at risk of losing jobs (RTE)

Lufthansa admitted today the positions of up to 26,000 employees are surplus to requirements, suggesting many more jobs will be cut at the German carrier than a figure of more than 10,000 flagged a few weeks ago.

Speaking after a meeting with trade unions, a Lufthansa spokeswoman said the airline estimates that it has a surplus of 22,000 full-time equivalent positions or 26,000 employees.

Concerning times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

The car park right beside where the 225 is parked is open and free.

Thanks, I took my Dad down, he was delighted...
    They parked it up in a great spot for the public..

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Any thoughts on aviation task force formed by department of Transport yesterday.
    First thoughts were that there is at least some cause for optimism..

Shannon Group, Aercap directly represented and in O'Ceidigh and Guiomard some friendly fire who will be in favour of a plan to support regional airports.

Beyond that I believe Niall Gibbons and Patricia will also have different reasons to argue for balanced support.

Am I being naive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Tiernster7 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on aviation task force formed by department of Transport yesterday.

Shannon Group, Aercap directly represented and in O'Ceidigh and Guiomard some friendly fire who will be in favour of a plan to support regional airports.

Beyond that I believe Niall Gibbons and Patricia will also have different reasons to argue for balanced support.

Am I being naive?

Ryanair and the DAA will hijack the whole thing and it will die out achieving nothing within 9 months..... just my 2cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Tiernster7 wrote: »

Am I being naive?

Shannon has always had good political support, problem is there is no plan or strategy. They don’t know what they want, so even if they get financial support it will be pissed away with no be if it’s beyond the short term

Advertisement