Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

With Shannon and the task force you are asking the people who have failed to make the airport viable to advise the whole industry now as to what Shannon needs.

The point being they’ve shown they don’t know the answer for years so why now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

golfball37 wrote: »
    With Shannon and the task force you are asking the people who have failed to make the airport viable to advise the whole industry now as to what Shannon needs.

The point being they’ve shown they don’t know the answer for years so why now

There are representatives from all the stake holders on the task force, including all the airports, airlines, aircraft, lessors, tourism bodies and unions. Shannons one rep will not in any way be steering the task force. It's about national pilocy for the aviation sector, not individual airports. https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/c46ea-minister-ross-announces-new-taskforce-for-aviation-recovery/

Membership

• Chris Horn, Chairman, Venture Partner at Atlantic Bridge
    • Dalton Philips, CEO, DAA
    • Mary Considine, CEO, Shannon Group
    • Joe Gilmore, Managing Director, IWAK
    • David O’Brien, Commercial Director, Ryanair
    • Sean Doyle, CEO, Aer Lingus
    • Aengus Kelly, CEO, AerCap
    • David Swan, Chairman, Aircraft Leasing Ireland
    • Cathy Mannion, Commissioner, Commission for Aviation Regulation
    • Conor McCarthy, CEO,Dublin Aerospace
    • Niall Gibbons, CEO, Tourism Ireland
    • Patricia King, General secretary, ICTU
    • Padraig O’Ceidigh, Entrepreneur and former Senator
    • Cathal Guiomard, Lecturer, Aviation Management, DCU
    • Fintan Towey, Assistant Secretary, DTTaS

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Can't post a direct link on the AN 225 take off this morning but it's up on youtube and clearly shows "a wing wave"

What a nice gesture !

Search Antonov 225 take-off from Shannon airport

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jeez another video taken in potrait mode :( was all I found.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

hobie14 wrote: »
    Can't post a direct link on the AN 225 take off this morning but it's up on youtube and clearly shows "a wing wave"

What a nice gesture !

Search Antonov 225 take-off from Shannon airport

Throw up the link and I'll edit your post so it shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

:cool:
    There are representatives from all the stake holders on the task force, including all the airports, airlines, aircraft, lessors, tourism bodies and unions. Shannons one rep will not in any way be steering the task force. It's about national pilocy for the aviation sector, not individual airports. https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/c46ea-minister-ross-announces-new-taskforce-for-aviation-recovery/

Membership

• Chris Horn, Chairman, Venture Partner at Atlantic Bridge
    • Dalton Philips, CEO, DAA
    • Mary Considine, CEO, Shannon Group
    • Joe Gilmore, Managing Director, IWAK
    • David O’Brien, Commercial Director, Ryanair
    • Sean Doyle, CEO, Aer Lingus
    • Aengus Kelly, CEO, AerCap
    • David Swan, Chairman, Aircraft Leasing Ireland
    • Cathy Mannion, Commissioner, Commission for Aviation Regulation
    • Conor McCarthy, CEO,Dublin Aerospace
    • Niall Gibbons, CEO, Tourism Ireland
    • Patricia King, General secretary, ICTU
    • Padraig O’Ceidigh, Entrepreneur and former Senator
    • Cathal Guiomard, Lecturer, Aviation Management, DCU
    • Fintan Towey, Assistant Secretary, DTTaS

Understand it is a national body. I was saying this in light of a clare FM story talking about the body as Dublin centric. To me that's not quite the case

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Tiernster7 wrote: »
    :cool:

Understand it is a national body. I was saying this in light of a clare FM story talking about the body as Dublin centric. To me that's not quite the case

I think your reply was caught in the quoted text so I eddited you post for you, my apologies if I shouldn't have.

Clareman wrote: »
    Throw up the link and I'll edit your post so it shows

Go into YouTube and search for this...

Antonov 225 take-off from Shannon airport

Make sure you put the dash after take

Vid is 1.01 mins long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|1,253|1,026|1,277|1,454|1,725|2,169|2,058|1,728|1,780|1,645|1,283|1,312|18,710
    2016|1,222|1,128|1,390|1,488|1,807|2,031|2,032|1,834|1,839|1,698|1,353|1,327|19,149
    2017|1,291|1,215|1,429|1,446|1,776|1,975|1,949|1,885|1,778|1,796|1,440|1,316|19,296
    2018|1,301|1,200|1,368|1,575|1,829|2,098|2,104|1,949|2,066|1,858|1,385|1,369|20,102
    2019|1,246|1,087|1,320|1,444|1,836|1,951|1,976|1,843|1,974|1,738|1,254|1,191|18,833
    2020|1,221|1,179|691|261|238||||||||
    Change|-2.0%|+8.5%|-47.7%|-81.9%|-87.0%||||||||

• Advertisement

Some nice views of the Wing wave ....:)

I agree, nice show of appreciation by the crew to all who turned up for the take-off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭dmc17

Some nice views of the Wing wave ....:)

Nice view here from the inside at 1:06

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

impressive..... well done to Shannon and all associated with Shannon. A happy story when all around us is gloom and doom in aviation.!! Hope they didn't break the runway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/550635/breaking-united-airlines-won-t-resume-daily-service-to-new-york.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

we already knew this sure, that they wouldnt be back this year with covid 19. they prob be back in summer 2021 wont they ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/550635/breaking-united-airlines-won-t-resume-daily-service-to-new-york.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

we already knew this sure, that they wouldnt be back this year with covid 19. they prob be back in summer 2021 wont they ??

This quote makes is look like no T/A this summer and no return of United next year.
    We are pleased that American Airlines, Delta and Aer Lingus have indicated that they will resume their transatlantic services from Shannon in 2021.

It seems that United have ceased their service at Shannon completely.

Statement re United Airlines decision not to resume service between Shannon & Newark (Shannon Airport)

Limerick based Nordic Aviation gets €53m boost from shareholders (Limerick Leader)

NORDIC Aviation Capital, based in Gardens International in Limerick city, received a boost this week, with confirmation that shareholders have agreed to inject over €53 million of new equity into the company.

With all aviation companies going through a very difficult time, this was a big boost for the company who have over 500 aircraft on its books.

The aircraft lessor applied to the High Court in Dublin on Friday to launch a scheme of arrangement under the Irish Companies Act to allow for an agreement between the lessor and its lenders to standstill and defer the payments of interest and principal on its borrowings for the next six to twelve months.

Nordic is the worlds largest lessor of regional aircraft. It has got agreement from its four owners for a equity boost of  $60 million equivalent to €53 million. The anticipation of a prolonged recovery from the pandemic was the reason behind the move by the company.

”The new equity is a signal by shareholders of their confidence in the prospects for the business and their support for its strategy,” said a company source.

Ennis native John Slattery ‘humbled’ to become CEO & President of GE Aviation (Clare Echo) :cool:

On Monday it was announced that David Joyce the current CEO, President and Vice Chair would retire from the industrial conglomerate after forty years of service. Under his leadership, GE doubled its revenue from $16.5 billion to $33 billion, growing total backlog from $26 billion to more than $270 billion, and industrializing advanced technologies across both commercial and military applications.

Clare’s John Slattery who is currently Embraer’s President and CEO of commercial aviation has been named as President and CEO-elect of GE Aviation. He will assume the role from July 13th and will run the world-leading provider of commercial and military jet engines and services, as well as avionics, digital solutions, and electrical power systems for aircraft.

Air maintenance firms, manufacturers plan for $60 billion in lost sales (RTE)

Maintenance firms and spare parts producers who keep airplanes running are bracing for a decline of up to 75% in sales this year - and more pain to follow - as airlines park or retire thousands of aircraft due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Worth about $80 billion in sales last year, the industry ranges from engine makers like General Electric and Rolls-Royce to systems companies like Honeywell International and Raytheon Technologies and a host of smaller suppliers.

Jetliners on average cost $3m a year to service and make up a significant portion of revenue for most of these firms.

That is under threat as the crisis cripples air travel and reduces the number of hours planes spend in the air, pushing back overhauls.

"We foresee reduction in maintenance, repair and overhaul demand of 60% or more for commercial aero engines (in 2020). And production will fall 40-50%," said Kevin Michaels, managing director at aerospace consulting firm AeroDynamic Advisory.

"We will have an overhang of thousands and thousands of aircraft more than we require for years. To balance that out, you are going to have to retire thousands of aircraft," he added.

The decline of up to 75% in services revenue, which amounts to about $60 billion in lost sales, was estimated by analyst Richard Aboulafia at aerospace consultancy Teal Group.

Lower demand for new jets is also causing the industry to revisit projections for demand for services later on, as fewer jets come down the pipeline for future parts servicing.

Thousands of layoffs are already planned or under way but some aerospace experts suggest the impact is likely to be deeper than originally thought and point to several years of hard choices, with the market properly recovering only in 2023.

The International Air Transport Association said last week that airlines would lose $84 billion in 2020, with revenue down by half to $419 billion, the worst year in the sector's history.
    "This is going to be a very brutal time for companies dependent upon aftermarket revenues," Aboulafia said.

"The job cuts and spending cuts have only begun," he added. "Generally, they need to fall as closely in line with output as possible, and output - of aircraft and spare parts - has only begun to be cut too."

Some 18,000 planes, or around 65% of the global fleet, were grounded during April and for most of May and the industry is now planning for a global recession and a future where business travel is reduced and holidaymakers stay closer to home.

Estimates collected by Reuters suggest the reduced demand will result in fewer than 20,000 planes in use in 2021 compared with an active fleet of about 27,000 planes in 2019.

All analysts with whom Reuters spoke said they did not expect maintenance spending to recover to 2019 levels until 2023.

Numbers on the current age of fleets, together with indications given by some airlines, suggest between 1,500 and 2,600 aircraft could be retired over the next 12 months, more than three times as many as in a typical year.

At $3m a plane, that adds up to $7.8 billion in lost aftermarket revenue. But planes over 10 years old also tend to demand more work.

They make up around 48% of the current fleet, but account for more than half the maintenance, according to consulting firm Oliver Wyman. So lost revenue is likely to rise.

Costs per plane also vary drastically. A young Boeing 737 may cost less than $1.5m to maintain, while a widebody 777 or 787 four times as much.

Delta Air Lines, in one example, is cutting 18 Boeing 777 planes which one analyst told Reuters cost $7.3m each on average to maintain a year.

• Advertisement

Shannon Airport to resume passenger flights next week (RTE)

Flights are to resume at Shannon airport from next Wednesday 1 July, but only passengers will be allowed access the terminal building as part of the health and safety restrictions being introduced to suppress the spread of Covid-19.

Sixteen Ryanair services to the UK, Spain, Poland and Austria are due to recommence from 1 July and the Shannon authorities say the airport has been redesigned to allow as many Covid-19 safety procedures be in place by then.

I hope for the best and fear for the worst.
    €6m in emergency funding confirmed for Shannon Airport (Limerick Leader)

THE Government has approved the allocation of €6.1m in emergency funding for Shannon Airport as it prepares to fully reopen from next week.

The emergency funding was sanctioned at a Cabinet meeting which was held at Dublin Castle this Thursday evening.

Welcoming the announcement, a spokesperson for Shannon Group said: “The €12 million Hold Baggage Screening project at Shannon Airport was halted halfway through construction due to funding constraints as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, and the €6.1 million Government grant to ensure its completion is very welcome.”

At least something that will help the airport to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Anybody any guesses as who will take over as Chairman when Rose Hynes leaves in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Stanford wrote: »
    Anybody any guesses as who will take over as Chairman when Rose Hynes leaves in August?

No rumors yet. but it cant come quick enough

I have nothing to do with the Airport but a friend who works there tells me that the current Chair is a serious political FG member and an obstacle to recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

I hope its someone like Neil Pakey. He did a great job bringing new routes and developing SNN.

I have nothing to do with the Airport but a friend who works there tells me that the current Chair is a serious political FG member and an obstacle to recovery.

I suppose your friend would not be Deputy Michael McNamara (IND) who seems to want to score some cheap politcal points against this serious business woman.

Could you elaborate how Rose Hynes would be an obstacle to Shannon Airport's recovery?

I hope its someone like Neil Pakey. He did a great job bringing new routes and developing SNN.

Neil Pakey was a very positive person but paying Ryanair money to fly from Shannon is not long term viable.

Especially the introduction of the Ryanair route to Manchester undermined the whole Aer Lingus regional hub to Britain who were feeding into the US flights from Shannon.

Building up sustainable quality routes is a long slog for Shannon with many set backs along the way, irrespective who takes charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭golfball37

You’re friend is spot on. Her politics aren’t the problem it’s the attitude she has been so successful and won’t listen to anyone with aviation expertise. Disagree with her and you are gone as Neil Pakey found out

I suppose your friend would not be Deputy Michael McNamara (IND) who seems to want to score some cheap politcal points against this serious business woman.

Could you elaborate how Rose Hynes would be an obstacle to Shannon Airport's recovery?

No, I have no political connections of any kind incl. Michael McNamara but the comments seem to be along the lines suggested above, serious micromanagement, no airport marketing experience and a Board stuffed with FG pals, remember she has gone through two CEOs in the space of 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

golfball37 wrote: »
    You’re friend is spot on. Her politics aren’t the problem it’s the attitude she has been so successful and won’t listen to anyone with aviation expertise. Disagree with her and you are gone as Neil Pakey found out

I’ve heard the same from someone in the know regarding Irish airport operations.

Advertisement